PDA

View Full Version : BS Haunt Reveiws

Jordan24
10-16-2009, 12:05 PM
After opening this morning's newspaper I noticed the anual write ups on the area's haunts.

In our are there is only one other commercial haunt besides us and then the theme parks.

But we were reviewed by a guy who admittingly told us he didn't attend our event? And we were given a lower rating than the competition, which is also BS and untrue.

I guess having the cash on your side gets you a long way... Hopefully that fake review won't hurt us too much...

Has anyone else delt with issues like this?

WelchWitch
10-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Yes, it happens here. Problem here are some of the reviews come from biased and controlled locations. I have chosen to ignore it and read between the lines. I find that so far we never really needed them to begin with. We are doing awesome job with high turnout and repeats visits. So I guess, that the bark was worse then the bite. If you do a great job, you don't need someone telling you that you do a great job. Word of mouth travels faster then any print. Hard thing is you want to say something to let it be known, but at that point you would be stooping down to that level and wasting your energy. I think that if someone were to read their review and then go to the house or have someone else go to the house and see the difference in review, he could be looked at as non creditable at some point and have that karma come around and bit him in the ass. Keep in mind money can only buy so much. At some point, people will see past the approvals and BS and see them for who they are.

Slain
10-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Guys, This is the same thing when you go to America's Best Haunts or Best Haunted Houses...
What ever the gimic is this year..
No one reviews anyone. Its what is in your pocket they care about. Our haunt could be listed as Americas Best's for $5000.. Whether your running a 1000 square foot haunt or 50,000. All you got to do is pay for it. No one will come review anything...

Speculo
10-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Well I did and Atrox was awsome!

Thanks!

PAT MATTHEWS/HOUSE OF WAX
10-17-2009, 03:34 AM
The reviewers are getting worse each yr. They know they got you by the wallet. ive never had one as bad as not show and see the show they review but we have had a few stupid reviewers in the past. A few yrs back I had 1 give me a bad review as he put it " I was too terrified to see anything I covered my eyes and missed the whole show" Or how about 1/2 the team was too scared to enter and they took off points. Yep ive seen that a few times as well. I think there are a few good reviewers out there but many more who are outta control. God help you if they are personal friends with a rival haunt.

Jolly Pumpkin
10-17-2009, 11:55 AM
A way you can find out if a review site is one you can trust is if you go to the website www.hauntreviewersassociation.com. I'm a haunt reviewer with my website City Blood-Ohio Haunt Reviews and created that association about a year and a half ago. It lets people know which review sites they can trust.

Ghoultastic
10-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Do you guys have any tips for those who are reviewing houses?

Should a reviewer take notes in the house, or once out of the house?

Mike Goff
10-18-2009, 09:57 AM
In the scheme of things, I don't think that reviews have that big of an impact on the number of tickets a haunt sells. Sure a haunt can lean on a good review and say look what so and so said about us. Who can blame them if they did. Word of mouth will make you or break you regardless of a review.

In our neck of the woods, I think that the guys doing the reviews are honest and generally know what they are talking about. The only complaint that I have, and it is not really that big of a deal, is that if they want to get an accurate sample of what the average customer experiences, then they need to come unannounced. In a perfect world the reviewers would get thier tickets in advance possibly by mail and then just show up.

Reason being is that, as things are, they get a stacked show. I went to a show 4 years ago, about 2 hours away. They sucked so bad I swore I would never go back, not that I'm cheap, but I wasted my time going there, when I could have went somewhere else. Because of a review, I decided to give them another chance. I had heard rumers of new management and so off we went.

Heres what happened, my wife and I were number 29 and 30 in a 50 person cattle line. The first 4 or 5 people probably got a descent show the rest of us felt like we had experienced a night in prison with a guy named bubba.

I have been to many shows that can file people through like cattle and still give them a good show, this was not one of those places. Had I reviewed this place I would have made the suggestion to stop placing state wide media buys, and put the money into the show. Usually when I leave a show that isn't all that good, I feel a sense of confidence about my own show. That night I was just mad, I got screwed!

I have no doubt the reviewers were first in line, saw everything, and the actors got fair warning of thier presence.

shawnc
10-18-2009, 05:46 PM
But we were reviewed by a guy who admittingly told us he didn't attend our event? And we were given a lower rating than the competition, which is also BS and untrue.

At the very least I would point this out to the editor and publisher and demand a retraction and correction. Even in this day and age the media is supposed to have some standards. Word getting around that they did something like this would hurt their image among their readers, especially those who don't go to haunts. That's why they would want to do the right thing.

The reviewer may get points for honesty but probably won't be reviewing anything else. How can you review something you didn't see? "Well, I heard it was a really good (or bad) movie/haunt/concert from friends. Did you actually want me to go see it before I reviewed it, Mr. Editor?"

Randy Schadel
10-19-2009, 03:12 AM
The mass media is notorious for reviewing haunts they haven't been to (or plan on going to, for that matter). In Cincinnati, they run the gamut-TV stations use stock footage from an event taken 5 years earlier (and none of which you'll find in any of the haunts currently). Newspapers have written reviews for haunts that hadn't even opened by the time the stories ran. They also run reviews that mention rooms from years past that no longer exist-the most blatant example being when 1031 Productions took over the Dent Schoolhouse, gave it a complete refit and retheme, and got a review that did nothing but mention the attraction as it was under the previous owner. They also routinely spell the names of actors, staff, and characters wrong. It's just lazy, sloppy journalism-and in the Cincy market, a story/review in the local paper still carries an impact.

DamienReaper
10-19-2009, 08:07 AM
The mass media will never take time to review a haunt because they not interested with the art of it. They think it's haunted house every haunts is the same fake blood, dead bodies. Like me being on Mertomix's cover which is great
they misspelled my name I think they called me Damon the Reaper,Or call Bludzo, Bloodzo or whatever. They misspelled the doll girl's real name in it too so I made a comment on there website to change it. So I mean you, Ohio Valley,City Blood ect take time and find out about the actors,owner ,rooms because you guys CARE about the haunt business. Word of mouth helps alot, too. Youtube is the best for a haunt to show updates and show your self as a actor ect. Working for Dent has been a blessing for my career anyways.

I belive in the mass media there will never be respect because we have no A list actor from hollywood. What I learned is Ohio is the birth place of Haunted Houses (as a business) WAIF, St Rita's Haunted House ect. Someone should do a Documentary on haunted houses in the midwest with St. Rita's, USS NIghtmare, Haunted Hydro, Dent schoolhouse, Land of Illusion,The Chambers of Horror,Mt. Healthy Haunted Hall, Sandyland Acres Haunted Hayride and down the line where they made such an impact in there communities over 30's years. The owners and some actors who are also apart of this great job we live for. I'm proud to be apart of that for 11 years.

That should be all covered in the mass media too. After that and put on youtube or a DVD maybe people would more respect us like other entertainments
we work harder than a theater, movie ,tv actor.

That my say

Badger
10-19-2009, 08:11 AM
I think it was Ronald Reagan who said "Given the choice betwen the critics and the box-office, I'll take the box office every time."

If you're doing well via word of mouth, advertising, and actually having a quality haunt, then it doesn't matter what a reviewer says. The public ultimately decides if a haunt is successful or not.

I would bet that there are reporters told to go review a huant that hate being scared and therefore would write a poor review because they were terrified and/or embarassed by going through.

WelchWitch
10-19-2009, 12:23 PM
A way you can find out if a review site is one you can trust is if you go to the website www.hauntreviewersassociation.com. I'm a haunt reviewer with my website City Blood-Ohio Haunt Reviews and created that association about a year and a half ago. It lets people know which review sites they can trust.

That's not true at all. I see on the list an example of how that isn't true and shows how you can buy anything to make you look better then you are. I was hoping that they weren't there, but alas, hmmm they are. You might be one that is trustworthy, but you are with company that is not and is buying their way into it.

WelchWitch
10-19-2009, 12:43 PM
I think it was Ronald Reagan who said "Given the choice betwen the critics and the box-office, I'll take the box office every time."

If you're doing well via word of mouth, advertising, and actually having a quality haunt, then it doesn't matter what a reviewer says. The public ultimately decides if a haunt is successful or not.

I would bet that there are reporters told to go review a huant that hate being scared and therefore would write a poor review because they were terrified and/or embarassed by going through.

That would be a new way to promote your own haunt. "PROUDLY SCARING THE CRAP OUT OF THE MEDIA FOR YEARS!!"

HauntedMemphis
10-19-2009, 01:06 PM
That's not true at all. I see on the list an example of how that isn't true and shows how you can buy anything to make you look better then you are. I was hoping that they weren't there, but alas, hmmm they are. You might be one that is trustworthy, but you are with company that is not and is buying their way into it.

Actually, the Haunt Reviewer's association isn't a company, and reviewers don't buy their way into it. However, I agree, there is no real guarantee or standards to ensure that a member reviewer is unbiased or honest. As stated right on the HRA site, these are the requirements:
*Is your review site unbiased in reviewing haunts?
* Is the information on your site accurate to the best of your knowledge?
* Are you courteous to haunts and visitors of your site who may email you?
* Do you try to help haunts and review sites in your community?
* Do you try to update your site frequently?
* Do you review at least 10 haunts a year?

Since all of the information is self volunteered, if you are willing to lie on your application, you can get in. If you are willing to lie and cheat on reviews, I'm sure you are willing to lie and cheat on the application.

And Jolly Pumpkin doesn't just belong to the HRA, he started it. He has the right intentions trying to bring some standards and respectibility to haunt reviewing, but it is more easily said than done. When even the website for the HRA espouses the perks you might get out of haunts, I think it's a doomed venture.

I went the other way when reviewing and made sure to tell readers that I buy a ticket and see the show just like everyone else, so I get the same show they do.

Jolly Pumpkin
10-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Actually I'm the creator, webmaster and president. I also have an HRA certified website. The association is totally non profit and I monitor all the websites that are certified. So I'm the only one puting money into it and am the only one who works on the association. It's unlike the other haunt associations out there.

WelchWitch
10-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Actually, the Haunt Reviewer's association isn't a company, and reviewers don't buy their way into it. However, I agree, there is no real guarantee or standards to ensure that a member reviewer is unbiased or honest. As stated right on the HRA site, these are the requirements:
*Is your review site unbiased in reviewing haunts?
* Is the information on your site accurate to the best of your knowledge?
* Are you courteous to haunts and visitors of your site who may email you?
* Do you try to help haunts and review sites in your community?
* Do you try to update your site frequently?
* Do you review at least 10 haunts a year?

Since all of the information is self volunteered, if you are willing to lie on your application, you can get in. If you are willing to lie and cheat on reviews, I'm sure you are willing to lie and cheat on the application.

And Jolly Pumpkin doesn't just belong to the HRA, he started it. He has the right intentions trying to bring some standards and respectibility to haunt reviewing, but it is more easily said than done. When even the website for the HRA espouses the perks you might get out of haunts, I think it's a doomed venture.

I went the other way when reviewing and made sure to tell readers that I buy a ticket and see the show just like everyone else, so I get the same show they do.

Don't get me wrong, I agree something like this would be awesome if it could truly be protected. However, Jolly's hard work and great idea was lessened by that one person. It just confirms in many minds that just because a place has an endorsement/affiliation behind it, it doesn't always mean squat. A haunt will be good with or without the media. It is the paying customer that means something. Its what they say one should listen too. Not the politics of who has what, who has what kind of money or who can BS their way out of a paper bag. It really does saddened me that there is no real way to govern this crap. Censorship and control over information is never and has never been a good thing for any industry. That will be what hurts us, not the economy. We have enough crap to deal with outside our industry then to have to deal with the crap amongst ourselves. I would love nothing more to expose someone that causes us to look bad, but I have a contract with my owners and within myself to not say anything and not be the one who speaks out. So I stay away and keep quiet.

HauntedMemphis
10-19-2009, 02:16 PM
That was my point as well. Although Jolly Pumpkin has great intentions here, I think that the association can't maintain quality of reviewers as it's structured.

Even with that said, I believe his site has a place to report fraudulent reviews, so I'd suggest either you, or the owners of the haunt make use of it. Without feedback, there is no way for JP to know that someone should have their assocation backing pulled.

WelchWitch
10-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Actually I'm the creator, webmaster and president. I also have an HRA certified website. The association is totally non profit and I monitor all the websites that are certified. So I'm the only one puting money into it and am the only one who works on the association. It's unlike the other haunt associations out there.

Well I wish you nothing but the best Noah.We need to govern this area badly. So I hope you have much success. Your idea could be something that can help us nationwide in monitoring the crap from the good. But I also know the one website and I see what happens and what is removed and controlled. I deal with these people every year and know them from the beginning to now. So, I will finish my thoughts to say it is not my desire to hurt you and I am sorry if I implied wrong about a site buying their way in. I was wrong on that point only. I will not say anything more on this topic.

Jolly Pumpkin
10-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Well whenever I hear that a review website is untrustworthy that is part of the association, I contact them to ask what is going on. If I find that they aren't obiding by the rules of the HRA, their site is pulled. I've had to do that twice with HRA certified sites. There's a reason that there are only 9 certified sites since there are tons more review websites on the internet that haven't been certified.

HauntedMemphis
10-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't think backing off the topic is the right call, as I think there is a legitimate concern and good conversation to be had here. I just headed to Noah's site to find the actual text about his procedure.

So you know of an HRA certified site that is deliberately being dishonest with their review of your haunt for some reason or the other. Then report them to fraud@hauntreviewersassociation.com. All HRA certified sites that are proven of being dishonest will be given a warning. After their third warning they will be placed on this page and will be banned for August - November of that year.

I think if nobody reports a reviewer who does have ethics concerns, then there is no chance of it getting better as it will never be dealt with.

WelchWitch
10-19-2009, 02:41 PM
I think about it every day. I would love to do it. But I have just one reason why I don't. It may not be understandable to others but it can affect me. And that word is

Repercussions.

My owners know who I am, they read my posts, They love me and I simply strongly ADORE them, so I wish nothing bad for them or myself.

HauntedMemphis
10-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Hopefully the owners of your haunt will step up and report it, if not for themsleves, then for other haunts that may go through similar issues in the future.

I tried to cheat and look up which reviewer it could possibly be, but there are two possibllities.

Haunted Illinois
10-19-2009, 07:46 PM
In the scheme of things, I don't think that reviews have that big of an impact on the number of tickets a haunt sells. Sure a haunt can lean on a good review and say look what so and so said about us. Who can blame them if they did. Word of mouth will make you or break you regardless of a review.

Wait, isn't this the world of technology? Isn't every teen constantly on the internet checking things out? C’mon, they live and breath by what they read on the internet! So then, aren't online reviews basically the modern equivalent of word of mouth? I have had many people tell me that they plan their haunt visits around what I write in my reviews. Don't totally dismiss online haunt reviews, because the DO matter and DO affect people's decisions.

In a perfect world the reviewers would get thier tickets in advance possibly by mail and then just show up. Reason being is that, as things are, they get a stacked show.

...I have no doubt the reviewers were first in line, saw everything, and the actors got fair warning of thier presence.

That is exactly why I never announce my review schedule. I just show up... and I don't request free tickets, either. My strategy is to sneak in, pay for my ticket and hope nobody notices me. That way I get the same show everyone else does and haunt owners never have the opportunity/time to prepare a "special show" for me. Also, I do something else to discourage anyone from giving me a special show. When I visit a haunt, if they see me or find out I am there, I always tell them that a visit doesn't necessarily mean they will get a review. I only review about 75% of the haunts that I visit. If they think they may not even get a review, then that is less incentive for them to make my tour any more special than the average Joe.

The mass media is notorious for reviewing haunts they haven't been to (or plan on going to, for that matter). In Cincinnati, they run the gamut-TV stations use stock footage from an event taken 5 years earlier (and none of which you'll find in any of the haunts currently). Newspapers have written reviews for haunts that hadn't even opened by the time the stories ran.

Unfortunately, you will always have that with the media, especially if they have a vested financial interest. I know of one haunt in the Chicagoland area that is sponsored by a large television station in the city. On this particular television station, you see this haunted house pimped left and right, as well as being bragged about regardless of the actual quality of the haunt. Unfortunately, when it comes to situations like these, money talks and there is nothing you can do about it.

That is true, to a degree... but based on what I stated earlier, doesn't at least some of the general public base their decisions on haunt reviews? In this world of technology, I don't think it is at all realistic for haunters to think that online reviews won't affect their bottom line.

Besides, if online haunt reviews meant nothing, why would haunters go to such lengths to give reviewers “special shows” in the first place? The answer is that reviews actual DO matter. Just my two cents.

shawnc
10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey Adam,

How many haunts do you get to see in an average season?

Haunted Illinois
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
On average, probably about 25+

dr0zombie
10-20-2009, 12:00 AM
If someone is happy with an event word of mouth advertising in text and Facebook will outrun any single site for reviews. The one advantage of the digital world is that news travels fast. For the less than quality events, bad news even faster.... besides... who the hell reads a newspaper anymore?? No one. Trust me on this, I am a used to be pressman.

Jolly Pumpkin
10-20-2009, 06:17 AM
I review 60+ haunts and at the end of the season have written somewhere close to 150 pages worth of reviews. I'm also not including pictures, videos, answering questions, replying on my message board, updating the site, answering emails, talking to haunts on the phone etc. Then before the haunt season I'm doing interviews, articles, posting news updating the website etc and this is just including my review website. This doesn't include my Halloween website, The Halloween Database. This last weekend I traveled close to 1,000 miles just to review haunts and at the end of October will have driven over 10,000 miles worth and spent lots of hours putting reviews on the website as well as money.

WelchWitch
10-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Noah-

FYI- I responded you to in a private message.

WelchWitch
10-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Hopefully the owners of your haunt will step up and report it, if not for themsleves, then for other haunts that may go through similar issues in the future.

I tried to cheat and look up which reviewer it could possibly be, but there are two possibllities.

I have permission now to talk to certain degree and we will be pressing charges after the season is over. We want the truth to come out once and for all. This will have a major wave affect. We agree we need to bring up the negative in this industry to help make the positive better. This person is also a member here along with other locations.

Night Stalker
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
When it comes to these reviews and especially these top 10 haunts or Americas best haunts. Come on get real most of the time if not all of the time they are the same group of large mega haunts over and over every year, with maybe one or two others thrown in to appease the crowd. Who actually rates these and how can they unless they see all or the vast majority of pro haunts, it all boils down to who knows who and who is friends with who.

Case in point our haunt in located in the same state as one of these so called best haunts in America, but year after year our customers consistently say ours is heads and shoulders better and scarier than this supposed top haunt in America. And these are unbiased customers that have been to both, so go figure. Not to mention this so called top haunt seldom changes anything, which we change at least 50% every year.

Its just a sham but I don't see a way to beat the good ole boys network they have established out there. I am sure I will get some flaming responses from maybe one or two of these big boys but I call em as I see em.

Lastly I definately am not saying some of the haunts on these lists don't belong there, some really do as they are truly fantastic but other shouldn't be and just because a haunt isnt 20,000 square feet doesn't mean it isn't a quality haunt in terms of detail and actors. Oh well what are you going to do?

Jeff

Darkangel
10-20-2009, 06:38 PM
I dont think there should be any review sites that review haunts let the public decide for themselves. It doesn't seem right that some haunters put their lives on hold and blood, sweat and tears in to their haunt and if one reviewer hated it it could end up costing the actual haunter lots of business. Why should reviewers have power over the haunts themselves? It's usually nothing more than a haunt owner wannabe who can't do it for themselves tries to be a player in the haunt market by being a reviewer. If they had that much passion for the haunt business they'd step up and actually run a haunt instead of being on the sidelines because only then could you truly understand the challenges of doing a haunt.

Darkangel

bhays
10-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Case in point our haunt in located in the same state as one of these so called best haunts in America, but year after year our customers consistently say ours is heads and shoulders better and scarier than this supposed top haunt in America. And these are unbiased customers that have been to both, so go figure.

We get the same thing a LOT... but I always figured those people tell whichever haunt they happen to be at that they are the best, then turn around and tell the other guy the same thing the next night/weekend.

We have managed to climb the ranks on the OhioValleyHaunts site the past few seasons and I really do feel it has helped us to grow our attendance... we fell out of the top five this year to number six because we raised our price to match the competition and lost a couple of points on value.

Noah is coming this weekend for the first time in 4 years I believe and we hope to wow him, but he'll get the same show every other customer got... we try to make that a point. I agree that it would probably be better if the reviewers were unannounced until after they've been through. I have more trouble trying to make sure the reviewers get as good a show as normal customers as the actors get nervous trying to blow the reviewers away and screw up their parts rather than doing them better...

Night Stalker
10-21-2009, 07:23 PM
More and more this year we find our customers that have been to this supposed top haunt are staying away and plan on just attending our haunt due to two things.

1. that they get a better and scarier show as oppose to a funhouse type atmosphere.
2. They feel they are getting ripped off from the big haunt due to thier ticket prices being in the 20 something range. Our ticket prices are 13 for adults.

I really dont see how we can change these ratings but it sure is a sore spot especially when you know you are head and shoulders better but never get a look.

Jeff

krazedklownkilla
10-25-2009, 07:16 AM
we have some guys in NC the we pay to be on there website and the deal is they will come out to the haunt get in (for free) and do a review. So they all come out (for free) every weekend there is like 4-6 people from the website and still cant get up a review.

WelchWitch
10-26-2009, 08:02 AM
we have some guys in NC the we pay to be on there website and the deal is they will come out to the haunt get in (for free) and do a review. So they all come out (for free) every weekend there is like 4-6 people from the website and still cant get up a review.

Don't pay them next year to be on their site. If they start losing money maybe they will learn that having reviews still not up on the final week of the month is not acceptable for a haunt that is featured or not. Review sites are only as big as we make them. If they aren't working good for the customer then like we are doing now, take a stand.

We also have determined here that we don't let them in anymore for free or otherwise. No one likes a mooch for a good weekend excursion. You just have to decide if they are an asset or not, money is too hard nowadays to just throw away.

Jim Warfield
10-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Over the last 21 years of dealing with all kinds of writers and reporters I have come to the conclusion that there is basically a huge lack of talent there.
OK, "Talent" might be a naturally budding thing that just doesn't happen for some people,ever, but then maybe they could substitute a lack of talent for accuracy in stating facts?..No, too much to hope for , I guess?
"Gotta punch out "X" number of words to get the little paycheck, illreguardless of what those words mean..."
It's sad.
Some people do seem to have a "calling" to certain professions, most don't know what such a feeling or desire is,it's totally foreign to their personality.
Many of us have a passion for this thing we do, we have to have it to even get things off the ground. Maybe this is where their biggest short-fall lies?
Of course having a driving passion to torpedo the other guy is also a dominante human factor, isn't it?
"HHHHMMMM?"

JamBam
10-26-2009, 12:14 PM
There have only been two haunts reviewed (2007 ) in the northern half of the whole state of Indiana. We would welcome a visit. Until then I feel the CityBlood website should add NORTHERN to the Indiana rating reviews that JollyPumpkin does as he splits out Ohio.

There are many haunts in the northern area starting in Terre Haute and Muncie and heading north to us, Ft Wayne, Plymouth, Warsaw, South Bend, Elkhart, Hammond, and in between.

While the whole review thing is subjective, it is frustrating when haunts claim something that isn't quite right. Last year I saw a haunt in ^%$@*$ claiming a Hauntworld top13 when I couldn't find it listed on the Hauntworld list. While I have visited FearFair and know Brett Hays does a great job, we would like to be able to see a review of our haunt to compare.

Haunted Illinois
10-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I dont think there should be any review sites that review haunts let the public decide for themselves. It doesn't seem right that some haunters put their lives on hold and blood, sweat and tears in to their haunt and if one reviewer hated it it could end up costing the actual haunter lots of business. Why should reviewers have power over the haunts themselves? It's usually nothing more than a haunt owner wannabe who can't do it for themselves tries to be a player in the haunt market by being a reviewer. If they had that much passion for the haunt business they'd step up and actually run a haunt instead of being on the sidelines because only then could you truly understand the challenges of doing a haunt.

I have bitten my tongue long enough and have to respond.

Darkangel… Regarding haunt reviews, I do it both ways. I review haunted attractions myself. I also offer a section of my website devoted to the general public, who want to post their own reviews.

As for the existence of the reviews themselves, I see nothing wrong with that. If the public likes a haunted attraction, they will write a good review. If they don’t, they will write one giving constructive criticism. I think that reviews provide feedback that owners wouldn’t get otherwise. It allows them to modify and improve their shows accordingly.

If a haunt review site posts fraudulent reviews or ones based on financial interests, then I agree with you completely. They should be blown out of the water. But if a haunt review site gives valid feedback to haunts (whether they want to hear it or not), that can only be helpful, in the long run.

Speaking as a person who has reviewed haunted attractions for at least eleven years, I think I know what I am talking about. I have been behind the scenes at many haunted attractions and I have been attending most of the Industry shows for the same amount of time. With that being said, I think I have enough knowledge to know what it takes to put an attraction together.

As for your comment “It's usually nothing more than a haunt owner wannabe who can't do it for themselves tries to be a player in the haunt market by being a reviewer.” Grabbing at straws, aren’t we? While everyone’s situation is different, speaking for myself only, I have never… nor will I ever aspire to be a haunted attraction owner. It’s my opinion that once you let your passion (mine is with Halloween) become ruled by the almighty dollar, then the fun goes away.

So, why do I do what I do? I do it because I LOVE Halloween and haunted houses. I have, ever since I was a child. I visit haunted attractions and write reviews as a service to the community. I want people to know which haunts are black hallways vs those that have outstanding animatronics, special effects and acting. When you made the comment that all reviewers are nothing more than failed owners trying to make their place in the Industry… With all due respect, you don’t know what the hell you are talking about.

MarkSchaefer
10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Who says a review has to be allowed as part of paid admission?

Haunted Illinois
10-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it, is there? People are entitled to their opinion and free speech guarantees their ability to express it, online or otherwise.

MarkSchaefer
10-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Since you ask Yes, the sale of that ticket is a contract period has nothing to do with free speech. It can be conditioned as long as race, religion etc. are not one of the conditions. You have the right not to purchase too.

Lets take his one step further if the reviewer has been warned not to come then it is trespassing. In that case a high degree type of trespassing since there are several types and thus penalties.