PDA

View Full Version : Patti Goes it alone at Universal Studios ...

drfrightner
10-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Patti is at Universal Studios Horror Nights tonight ALL BY HERSELF and she survives. I've been getting reports of her trips through the eight mazes at Horror Nights. She says the most detailed is Dracula.

Will get a full report soon!

Larry

SomeThingInTheIce
10-23-2009, 12:15 PM
It was a blast, I went the second weekend it was open. Dracula was very detailed but the the one I liked the most was The Wolfman. She should write a trip report for your magazine.

damon carson
10-27-2009, 12:09 AM
So how was Universal Studios Horror Nights? I for one would like to hear or see any details if you have any pics.
Thanks
Damon

SomeThingInTheIce
10-28-2009, 11:58 AM
damon, not sure if you are asking me or larry. I'm sure larry will do a story in his mag. I go every year as I live so close. I find that HHN will do what I call a half and half. 8 houses, 4 great and very detailed and then 4 just okay, same with the scare zones. I would not go without a express pass as the lines are huge and you will not get to see it all with out one. I think they should just do away with the scare zones and have more haunts.

HouseOfHorrors
10-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I went a few weeks ago as always.... it was cool, but I wasn't totally blown away. I went to the behind the scenes/lights on tour during the day which was cool! Dracula was definately cool, as well as the inside of the frankenstein and wolfman house.... Leave it to Cleaver was kinda cool too..lol! Seems like the scarezones keep getting smaller and weaker every year... they used to be HUGE!!! I still had fun, it was still cool.... just doesnt seem like they do it up like they used to years ago!!

-Tim

HauntedOzarks
11-03-2009, 11:06 PM
I attended Halloween Horror Nights in Los Angeles and thought it was a blast, but I have to admit I've experienced better scares at haunts here in the midwest. The real difference is Universal's goal to make the customer feel immersed in the movies they license each year. I'll go through each maze separately.

CHUCKY'S FUNHOUSE -- Basically just Universal's House of Horrors with a few Chucky dolls thrown in. The set design is great as always, but both times I've been to HHN, this particular maze is always the weakest.

MY BLOODY VALENTINE: BE MINE 4 EVER -- An interesting choice for a maze, considering it didn't have the appeal of more classic horror icons, but it did allow for some original sets. The entrance to "Tunnel #5" which served as the entrance to the maze was impressive and they went to the trouble of recreating some of the kills and sets from both the original and the remake, such as the suits hanging in the locker room and the great shovel kill from the remake. There are a LOT of Harry Warden gas mask guys jumping out which got old fairly quick, but it was still a fun maze.

SAW: GAME OVER -- This was the headliner maze this year and it was pretty incredible. The painstaking detail in re-creating several sequences from the SAW movies was very cool and featured a bunch of pig-face guys jumping out and even a reverse bear trap girl. They also pumped a pretty foul smelling odor throughout the maze which added to the realism.

HALLOWEEN: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF MICHAEL MYERS -- I thought this was the best maze of the year. It started in line with the facade of the Myers house and featured a projection in the upstairs window of Michael killing his sister. The maze inside was a very detailed journey through Michael's life and featured several sequences from the movies and even had some genuinely creepy moments like seeing Michael watching you from outside a window. Really enjoyed this one.

TERROR TRAM -- A kind of mish mash of all the horror themes from this year that takes you walking through an altered "Who-ville" set and into the Bates Motel. Then you journey right past the Psycho house which is pretty awesome in itself, finally ending when you walk through the plane crash set from War of the Worlds. Fun to walk through, but you can see the scares coming from a mile away.

There are also scare zones throughout the park which are pretty neat. The highlight was the entrance which had a Rob Zombie like preacher on a small hill of skulls and bones and a huge archway which shot fireballs into the air and very hot, scantily clad go-go dancers in cages nearby.

The one bummer about all the mazes were the kids dressed in black shirts and flashlights positioned all through the mazes, making sure the thousands of people going through didn't clog up the lines. It took you out of the moment completely and made the scares less effective.

A fun time though. I've got pics on my Facebook account if anyone wants to see them.

drfrightner
11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
I would love to see them. Post some! Larry

HauntedOzarks
11-03-2009, 11:26 PM
All righty, hopefully I got this right and this link works.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=320648&id=536030047&l=a9d9f4a3b2