PDA

View Full Version : Darkness Transworld Tour Updates

drfrightner
10-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Yes we will do a tour of Darkness 2010 and yes we will once again renovate the Darkness but NO we WILL NOT be building a new 17,000 square foot building, pouring sidewalks, adding gutters, replacing windows, bringing in 50k worth of new electric, sprinker systems and the whole bit... WHOOOOOO...

Thank God!

No what we will do however is renovate just the attraction. I'm also going to do a lights on tour that will be part of your ticket... there will be NO FODO, NO DRINKS, NO PARTY just show up and walk through with the lights on and the next night you show up and you go through with actors.

There will be NO cameras during the scary tour allowed. I will have security all through out to keep the lines moving so people don't stop to look at everything holding up other groups. You will go through like a NORMAL haunted house and yes we'll stock the place with top shelf actors but the customers WILL NOT RUIN the show because they want to gaze at everything...this is why we'll do a pre-lights on tour the night before that will essentially be free.

I'm doing that so YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE to ruin the actually production show itself. Anyone with a camera they will be snatched, anyone stopping will be pushed along, blah, blah. We will break up the groups and you will go through like a normal customer.

The focus will be on showcasing the Darkness as a haunt and the product itself the actors, the make up, the costumes, the whole show.

What will we do new: We will almost totally redo the upstairs and we have designed GROUP SCARES... scares that will scare everyone at one time and almost every single room will be designed to scare everyone at once. Yes it will be something new and yes it will be cool. I think a lot of people will be amazed at what we will showcase this time around.

We are also totally making over EVERY OLD FASHION SCARE to be new and fresh... old scares with new twists. Consider this event as a live demo in the art of the scare. That is what you wanted or atleast some people wanted so that is what we will focus on.

But don't come back and complain it was too scary, or how I need to buy you new underwear! LOL

Terror Visions will also get a make over as well, actually it already has you just didn't see it yet. Anyway all the details will be announced right after the IAAPA show.

As for Creepyworld... that is still up in the air! We are going to build another 3D show for that place and it will be wicked with tons of gross gore all in 3D. It will be different than anything we've ever done. If we can get the Darkness done at least one month before the show we'll set up part of Creepyworld and tour the mansion, dominion of the vampire and the new 3D haunt but nothing else.

Again that will stay up in the air until I get The Darkness redone first.

Stay tuned here for all the updates, photos and more.

We will be ripping out tons of old scenes soon... and they are all for sale.

Larry

drfrightner
12-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Okay BRAINSTORM STUDIOS will be making the new Darkness website, they are doing websites now and so they are going to make all the new graphics and put the site together for me. They are working on that now and hopefully the site www.thedarkness.com (http://www.thedarkness.com) will be up and running by the first week of January and tickets will go on sale.

I did update the news blog with some information if you want to swing over there and read it! Advanced Ticket, Brainstorm Studios will once again sponsor the tour.

We will SPLIT the days of the show and LIMIT how many people can go on each day to allow us a chance to space groups out more...

I think we are going to limit 600 per day (Friday and Saturday). I'll let you know when the tickets go on sale and all the details.

Anyway I'm going down to the Darkness today and I will snag a few pictures however there isn't much to take pictures of unless you want to see the DEGREE to which we have DESTROYED the haunted house... LOL.

You'll see ONE BIG GIANT EMPTY ROOM... I think once you see the pictures you'll get a really good idea of just what level of renovation we are taking on here.

We have been doing some drawings ... I'm uploading some now.

Larry

drfrightner
12-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Here is a different view another draft... and yeah we are going to build it!

It will be the most expensive room we are going to build and it will be the last scene in the attraction. It will feature a 10ft animated grim reaper as you'll see in the drawing, several crypts, a round routunda crypt, stone walls you walk between the whole nine yards.

Larry

drfrightner
12-15-2009, 04:27 PM
I've had a few people ask me over the past couple of weeks... why don't you open Creepyworld instead of Darkness because we've already seen Darkness. Really... take a look at these photos and tell me if you've seen the Darkness.

We have taken down nearly 80% of the upstairs of the attractions, and when I say TAKEN DOWN I MEAN TAKEN DOWN and thrown in the trash walls and all...

Its being built FROM SCRATCH... look for yourself!

Some people said to me why did you throw all those walls in the trash they looked awesome... well those walls where very very old and for us it would be better to just rebuild from scratch. We are trying to build the attraction for the next 5 years not just this show.

It was time to remove and start from scratch... the only thing I'm upset about is taking down the wine cellar that was one of my favorite scenes.

Couple other updates that you might think are cool... we have going to be hanging a REAL airplane from the ceiling in our waterfall room the room with the gorillas... you will walk right under it, it will look like its caught and hanging in a bunch of vines but when you get close something will happen and you think your head will get cut off!!!

We are going to pick up the plane next week ... that should be cool!

I've also attached a photo of our security system which will be available to see on the behind the scenes tour!

I've also attached a photo of our art gallery which we are turning into a crypt you can see the small shelves that you put urns into...

More photos coming soon!

drfrightner
12-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Okay today I was at the Darkness and man o man we have messed up some stuff, built some stuff wrong, and we seem to be way behind...

However Terror Visions is RIGHT ON TRACK and let me say UNREAL... what will be the biggest difference?

1) We themed the que room photo attached! Its not done because it will include all these weird signs telling people the rules written by clowns.

2) We have painted the floors EVERYWHERE... again not done yet but when you come check out the FLOORS YOU WON'T BELIEVE YOUR EYES! Pictures attached.

3) Changed one room and made like a crate room and actors hide inside. Picture attached.

4) Will be adding several custom animations.

5) Will be adding more gory custom made props ( no pics on that yet)

Lastly we are just adding some WILD artwork... the whole place will be painted and themed soup to nuts. You won't believe it! Sorry if some of the photos are blurry because I have to take the pics with extended exposure and I didn't have a tripod so I did the best I could.

Larry

drfrightner
12-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Here are more photos...

We are painting ALL OF FLOORS every inch you will be in 3D head to toe! We've had a construction crew on it for a few days and painters will be working on it for at least another week or so. Once its DONE DONE I will get better photos.

Lastly you might be confused by the que line because the photos doesn't make it look very exciting but actually it really is... its really hard to take pictures of to show you what it is but it is suppose to look like a bunch of pallets and crates made into a make shift que line by cheap carnival people... it looks really cool! Its one of those things you have to see in person but you'll like it.

Another thing you will notice like this one photo attached here... you'll see how we're adding DEPTH to the photos in other words you see a front image then another one painted in green and another in blue, blah, blah. We are doing these all over the entire attraction!

Larry

drfrightner
12-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Now as far as the Darkness itself still not much to see here... but if you want to look at bare wood here ya go!

We are doing a lot of stuff just will take a while to get anywhere. One you see the graveyard here it just looks like sticks of wood everywhere but all it really is just frame out. now we'll go in and apply plywood and or foam over everything.

The graveyard will be the first thing we built out totally... its going to be the coolest scene in the place but also is going to take the longest to complete. Also have some photos of the funeral home itself its still far off... in case you are wondering YES THOSE ARE REAL morgue cooler tables or whatever they are with real doors the whole bit. Yeah the slide in and out the whole nine yards!

Larry

drfrightner
01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
More Terror Visions photos... we are painting the ENTIRE FLOOR from start to finish. It will be freaky! I think when its all said and done our plan was really to re-do the Darkness and make that the highlight but in retrospect I think the real highlight will end up being Terror Visions.

See last year we built Terror Visions from scratch and now that we have a full year to build it up, rather than building walls, scareboxes, all the basics now we are investing everything into just making it better.

Its turning out like a masterpiece... it will blow your mind!

I'm now starting to think The Darkness with the whole second floor being done from scratch it may not turn out exactly as I hope because we are building walls, re-doing electric, trying to search from props, blah, blah... it will be awesome but all the bugs probably wont' be worked out until long after the Transworld show.

Terror Visions will no doubt be the best 3D haunted house EVER created by ANYONE... we just keep working on Terror Visions and can't seem to get out of the attraction to work on Darkness.

Everytime we do something in Terror Visions we turn around and say... now that doesn't look right okay tear that out and build this... Terror Visions was planned as a one week project now its turning into a four week project.

It will be worth every penny... it will be unreal!

Here are more pics!

Larry

drfrightner
01-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Haven't done much to Darkness itself but we are working on the morgue scenes... we are trying by weeks end to have both main morgue scenes completed. We decided to scrap the original design, tore it down ( i know i know) and we started over today.

I decided instead of a bunch of morgue vaults side by side I only wanted six with two rows so I could include a walk in where say the hospital would roll in a body on a gurney and just put the whole thing into a cooler. So by adding this we had to scrap everything we had already done and start over.

SMART IDEA ALERT: Rather than building some fake cooler I went to a used restaurant supply store and bought a used one, a real one included was shelves all the air condition stuff you name it... now I have a real one! The real one only cost me $800.00 and its real!

Take a look!

This scene doesn't look like much NOW but it will within a few days. Now we have to sheet the whole thing in stainless steel which we bought in 4x8 sheets, then age it, and then detail it.

Larry

drfrightner
01-05-2010, 02:34 AM
As with last year I've seen some questions I'll answer them and delete the post... I want to do what I did last year and that is keep all the progress pics together so you can see from soup to nuts the attraction going together...

Anyway here is all the questions I saw answered plus tour updates.

Q: How do people walk on the floor without messing up the paintings?

A: With 3D you can actually put foot prints into the art and it will show up during the day but when the blacklights come on most dirt disappears. However we will seal the floor so that the art itself is protected but right now we are walking all over it and so did all the guests who walked through in 2009 and the floor still looks great.

Q: Are we going to show off group scares?

A: All the scares we are building that have an impact on entire rooms will be working. Right now we have the swamp house and falling floor from last year, and new this year will be a sewer tunnel, falling barrel wall, another falling barrel wall, a falling cage/ceiling, falling heads in terror visions, and a couple other things I can't remember off the top of my head but yeah they'll all be on and working.

Q: How can you scare everyone or anyone if you show everyone everything before you actually put actors inside?

A: Good question and to a point you are correct. Again the goal of the tour is NOT to scare anyone necessarily but to showcase an awesome haunted house, showing off custom animations, effects, detail work, and furthermore our actors room, security systems, and more. I think it would be almost impossible to scare haunt owners because they walk through so slow checking out everything. So whats the point? Haunt owners won't walk through like normal average day customers so its almost a mute point, so I don't think it will matter either way. We'll try our best!

Q: When will the website go live?

A: Brainstorm Studios is making the website and it will be done probably next week and from there we'll put it up live and start selling tickets. We are limiting the behind the scenes tour and the live tours so there are no long lines like last year. Also if you buy online you will save $15.00 if you buy prior to March 1st.

------------------------------------------------------------

Tour Updates:

1) Website and tickets will go online soon within days. If you order online you will save money if you buy before March 1st. We are doing timed ticketing again but this time we will be open one hour less each night and limit each hour to fewer people and total per night to only 600 so we can put people through SLOWER to have a better chance to scare people. So buy quickly if you are coming!

2) Ticket prices will be as follows: $100 behind the scenes tour with a ticket to come either friday or Saturday to a live show. No food no drinks just show up and go in... $50.00 for a ticket to either Friday or Saturday if purchased ONLINE prior to March 1st, 2010 and $65.00 purchased after March 1st online, at the show or at the box office. 600 per night max Friday/Saturday and 350 to the behind the scenes tour. Timed ticketing again but limiting the amount of people per hour and per night to create shorter lines and bigger gaps between groups.

3) Behind the scenes tour will be timed 7-8 8-9 or 9-10 you show up you go in... you get to see the security system, actors room, Halloween Productions workshop, new darkness, terror visions and museum. Plus you get a ticket to return either Friday or Saturday night live tour. Overhead lights will be off with all show lights ON and NO FOG so you can take pictures video or whatever. Actors room will be open. If it sells out fast and it looks like we have enough interest we might add another hour 10-11 but don't know.

4) Live tour... we plan on having more actors, we also hope to train our new actors best we can prior to the event, no cameras, no standing around, and we'll have a ton of security to make sure people walk faster this year so you can experience more like a REAL show to the best we can. The live show will be YOUR CHOICE either Friday or Saturday from 7:30 to 11:30pm. Each night is limited to 600 people once its sold out no more.

We will not add an extra hour and will not allow more than 600.

5) The Darkness is being remodeled head to toe...first floor will be mostly the same with a few changes and updates. The second floor will be almost totally re-done turned from a mansion into a funeral home. Terror Visions is mostly the same but 100 times better, built out more, more scares, some animations, tons more painting. What I mean by mostly the same is that most of last years artwork is still there and the maze didn't change much.

Lastly the museum will be a lot different with 3 or 4 monsters added, gift store will have darkness and new hauntworld t-shirts 4 sale.

Almost every animations will be turned digital sound, actors areas will also feature digital sound to assist actors scaring customers, plus TONS OF CUSTOM MADE PROPS AND ANIMATIONS made JUST FOR THIS TOUR!

Total cost of this event: $200,000.00 plus.

The main thing you will see is just how much we change our attraction from one year to the next... this isn't a few new animations shoved into a scene its a total remodel project.

We will have the website up online soon!

The website address like last year is www.thedarkness.com

Sponsors of this tour are: Brainstorm Studios, Interactive Ticketing, Halloween Productions, Haunted House Association and Hauntworld Magazine.

Last but not least I will update you right here with photos and video of all the updates, improvements and more for this tour. Our goal is to showcase one of the best haunts you'll ever tour, to show you Hollywood style detail, special effects, and detail.

Thanks
Larry

drfrightner
01-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Here are more photos ... all we've been working on is TWO room and next week we are going to build our tunnel scene and start sculpting the graveyard. These are small photos from an I PHONE btw...

Couple other things we'll have the website up and start selling tickets within the next week or so!

Q: What are we sealing the floor with?

A: A urethane clear.

Q: Why not use smell machines, techno bubbles and stuff like that?

A: We actually considered using the bubbles because they sell a glow in the dark bubble machine. The real question is would it hinder your ability to see the sets and artwork. The artwork is very detailed and very much part of the set if we sprayed bubbles everywhere it might ruin the scene. Its something we've considered but I think we'd have to do a scene just for it... right now we have no plans to do so but its a good thought. As for smells we have thought about it but when you do 4000 plus people in one night those smell machines don't work as good for a big open room. I'd love to do sight, smell and touch for every scene!

Now as for these scenes you'll notice that every room we're using double swinging doors before each room... the customer will have to push through those doors to enter the next room. It should be cool... those swinging doors are EXPENSIVE! LOL

Talk to you soon!
Larry

drfrightner
01-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Okay here are some photos... we are finally building the new graveyard at the end of the haunted house. We are basically cutting out the foam and placing it where it goes. Next week all the guys who are carving on the graveyard will be out of town so not much will happen on it next week. But probably one more week of work on it and we might start hard coating it. From there it will be painted and then detailed. It will take at least a month to finish this ONE SCENE!

Larry

drfrightner
01-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Here are more Terror Visions Photos... Terror Visions is basically a week away from being DONE DONE! The entire attraction has the floors painted in full.

We will be adding a lot of props to the attraction once the painting is done and a few animations.

Also here is a picture a HULK we bought for our museum! HE IS HUGE!

Larry

drfrightner
01-16-2010, 02:02 AM
Lastly, here are some photos of the MORGUE rooms...

These rooms are not done but by the end of next week they might be... we need to put pipes on the walls, vents, shelves stuff like that. Then we'll spray all the walls with some stuff out of a hopper to create gross aging then we'll paint it. Maybe by next week or the end of next week these rooms could be on their way to looking pretty cool!

Larry

drfrightner
01-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Not really much to report... spent over 8 hours at the haunt until midnight really doing nothing but talking about how we are going to do things, making lists, and crying about how all this work can't be completed in time! LOL

We have eight weeks and we'll get as much as we can completed. We've already nixed a few other upgrades like in the que line we planed to make this bamboo que line not anymore. Not enough time.

Mainly we are working to finish the morgue scenes so we can start aging, painting and then finally finishing them. We have installed like a zillion pipes and stuff. In these pictures you can see the tunnel we've just started to build it will have a ramp that goes up into it with a grate floor so water can leak down out of pipes onto your head! LOL

There will be a lot of water in this scene. By the end of next week these morgue rooms will be painted and detailed.

Next week we are going to build the new boiler room, finish the new mirror maze and start detailing the tunnel!

Also all the sculptors will be working on the graveyard!

THe tickets will be on sale this weekend I think.

Larry

drfrightner
01-24-2010, 03:22 AM
If you want to order tickets RIGHT NOW... here are the links!

Lights Off Tour (with actors): https://v2.interactiveticketing.com/tickets/t232_2010_the_darkness_trade_show_event_1001144052/form_lights_off.php
Lights On Tour (behind the scenes): https://v2.interactiveticketing.com/tickets/t232_2010_the_darkness_trade_show_event_1001144052/form_lights_on.php

Dirk,

Couple things... one if they don't say anything we'll leave it as is... if they did we'd cut slots in and put in steel grates so it would look just as good. Larry

drfrightner
01-27-2010, 03:29 AM
More pics... the one of someone welding that is a new secret animation we are building. Building it from scratch and its hard to explain really but I hope it will be scary but we'll see!

Lets put it this way the concept of it was so scary that Kip didn't want to build it ... he thought it was too dangerous! LOL

I didn't think it would be dangerous otherwise I wouldn't want to build it but I can understand why he thinks it will be dangerous but I think it will be harmless. So when Kip turned down that project Jim stepped up and said he'd build it himself... we finally have a welder working on putting it all together.

It will be a very cool animation if it works! Maybe Kip will be right in the end... who knows! LOL

Kip on the other hand is building an animation I think is more dangerous than this one a ceiling that falls down on top of your head with SPIKES! LOL Yikes!

Kip is also building a rig we whipped up to make one of our actors actually FLY leap off the ground and FLY... I can't wait to see if that works! LOL
Kip is also making a secret prop for The Darkness I can't say because I think he's bringing it to his booth but I'm not sure... its something an actor does to scare patrons! The Darkness is turning into his new testing grounds... soon enough I'll see everything in action and I'll report back!

Anyway we plan on finishing our graveyard and painting it next week. We are buying this $3000.00 spray gun to shoot synergy rather than apply by hand... I think we are getting that this week as well.

PAINT SHOULD START FLYING IN TEN DAYS... once that happens you'll start to see some really cool scenes! We haven't started painting our morgue scenes yet for several reasons... ONE we want to shoot some scenes for the new video, we are going to age the walls with some spray and compounds. We need to catch that on tape! We also are installing even more pipes!

Talk to you soon!

Larry

drfrightner
01-28-2010, 05:10 PM
We are painting! What do you think?

Larry

drfrightner
01-28-2010, 05:37 PM
More pictures!

Tickets on sale now go to www.thedarkness.com

drfrightner
01-28-2010, 05:38 PM
The one pics if of the new mirror maze being worked on...

Larry

drfrightner
01-29-2010, 07:33 PM
More pics of Terror Visions as of January 29th, 2010. Terror Visions is almost done. We are going to add a few more animations and some sound stuff and then we'll be done. The museum is basically done just going to add one more big monster.

Almost all the work is focused on the Darkness itself... there is ONE BIG scene we may not build because of time issues... we'll put yellow tape down the hallways that say coming soon! LOL. From here on out we will focus on things we've already started so we can finish them. Whatever we can't get done we'll just leave for later. Time is running out... this was a massive undertaking because basically we're building a brand new haunted house.

Larry

drfrightner
01-29-2010, 07:40 PM
We are finally painting and installing some of the animations. As you can see here in the new mummy scene... this animation will also feature spikes, dead bodies and will fall from the ceiling.

The graveyard will be another week and it will be done and we'll be hard coating. The morgue type rooms are really coming along as you can see they are all nearly painted. We have also expanded our mirror maze its almost done as well look freaky!

On this video we are going to make we are going to show you how to do all this stuff... it will be an awesome video. We start shooting it next Tuesday.

I can tell you all this the theming on these rooms is really top notch all this stuff has never before seen, the Darkness is really almost brand new at this point its so much work its so much work!

I hope everyone who comes to the tour appreciates the talent, dedication and hard work going into this!

The walls are textured they are not just painted. The pipes you see in these pictures are not done YET but they will be soon. In case you didn't know it we all also building TWO endless hallways with two way mirrors.

Larry

drfrightner
01-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Get your tickets today for the tour... go to www.thedarkness.com

I wanted to mention if you don't go on the behind the scenes tour you will NOT REALLY be able to appreciate how everything is done. Once you get the video and walk through the attraction and you can touch and feel everything you will understand better how to replicate this work!

Everything we are doing is ready to have a movie come in and start filming... that is what we are doing.

The second floor of the attraction last year I HATED... it was old and beat up! I doubt we'll get all that I want done done because since we are doing so much over I want to do it right so we keep taking things down and redoing stuff... I'm not try to get it done for this show I'm trying to get it done RIGHT no matter how long it takes!

You might notice the sewer tunnels here... we've built the floor in with pans under to catch the dripping water.

Anyway as with last year I've erased all the little questions so you can start on page one and see how things develop just like last year... if you have new questions feel free to ask away!

Larry

drfrightner
02-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Here are some more pictures... everything is coming along. We also will start making our video this week. We are going to show how we are doing a lot of this stuff... the tunnel will be awesome!

Get your tickets today at www.TheDarkness.com

Larry

drfrightner
02-03-2010, 11:43 PM
I have come to the conclusion that if I don't go down and work in the haunted house myself daily this will NOT get done... we have bit off way more than we can chew here and I'm afaid time is running out. I will be down at the haunted house for the next couple of weeks so I won't be posting much but at night I'll bring home new photos and stuff.

I'll try to give you updates!

Won't really have any cool photos for another two weeks anyway.

Talk to you soon... get your tickets at www.thedarkness.com (http://www.thedarkness.com)

drfrightner
02-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Here are some MORE pics... mostly you see pics here of the tunnel we are building. Before you saw it as raw bricks and now you see the tunnel coated with texture up to and over the bricks.

Also we are building TWO endless hallways here is one basically done. We are going to age this room and put down tiles on the floor props in front of it and this one will be ready to roll.

NOW THIS YOU HAVE TO SEE IN THE BEHIND THE SCENES SETTING...

Also in the last pic those are mirror maze panels we just painted them... they will go over the mirrors.

Get your tickets now at www.TheDarkness.com

Larry

drfrightner
02-10-2010, 04:53 AM
More pictures... hey folks listen to me if you don't come to the Behind the Scenes tour and you own a haunted house, find a cliff and jump off because this is an educational experience that MONEY JUST CANT BUY...

I will be in the museum ALL NIGHT LONG so you go through the attraction and I will be waiting for you at the end to ANSWER ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS to tell you how we did things, where to get stuff, how to do it, you name it and I'll be there to answer all your questions.

If that isn't money well spent I don't know what is... we are going to make this behind the scenes tour WORTH EVERY MINUTE YOU SPEND WITH US!

Its a promise!

Now tell me bottom line ARE THESE REAL... did we build this or did I climb down into some dark sewer pipe and take these pics? FOLKS we're are trying to kickass and take names over here!!! LOL

GO to www.thedarkness.com and get your behind the scenes tickets they are already half sold out.

Larry

drfrightner
02-10-2010, 04:58 AM
More photos I took today...

Here is an endless mirror effect ALMOST DONE... no theming yet but it will be there within a day or two.

Yes those are REAL BRICKS here... we are building a cremation machine and we are using REAL bricks for the veneer.

The last picture is of a crypt interior we are building...its ready to be painted and will be painted before the end of the week. Its actually pretty awesome and very soon this room will start getting props.

Larry

BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW... www.TheDarkness.com I'm telling you NOW I'm not overselling these events once its sold out and you go to the show and hear about how freakin awesome the attraction is there will be no more tickets sold if it sells out it sells out... we want to put on a better show this time need fewer people to do that for you haunt owners who walk like snails. LOL

drfrightner
02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
GET YOUR BEHIND THE SCENES TICKETS NOW FOLKS... AND LEARN DETAIL TIPS!!! I will answer all of your questions at the end of the haunted house I will station myself there and we will be there to answer all questions as you come out of the attraction.

This is an educational experience!

www.TheDarkness.com

Here are more photos!

Larry

drfrightner
02-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Here are some more pics... the one graveyard pic those poles are only holding up the roof temp the real poles carved in foam are yet to be installed.

As you can see we now have two endless hallways.

Larry

drfrightner
02-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Here are some pictures FIRST released of some of the new custom props going into the new Darkness for the haunt tour... these LOOK REAL!!!!!!!!!

We are building a FREEZER where all the bodies are dead and frozen. You walk through them as they hang from the rafters.

I can't tell you enough get tickets to the behind the scenes tour NOW... if you didn't like the tour last year, I'm going over the TOP this year... this is the last time I ever do this.

If you want to see one of the best most detailed haunts in AMERICA go to www.TheDarkness.com and get your tickets today.

I will be sitting at the exit to tell you how we did everything. I know the first thing you are going to ask is WHO MADE THESE... SOMEONE IN HOLLYWOOD!

Larry

drfrightner
02-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Here are a few more pictures... however I'm going to take some really awesome ones late in the week. Here is the deal guys... by next Monday the haunted house is GOING BACK TOGETHER! I mean most of the big scenes will be painted, most of the stuff will be done and we'll be putting the scenes back together.

We are about to go into DETAIL phase and HOOK UP animations, sound, etc phase... so some really really really awesome photos will come soon!

Get your tickets to the behind the scenes tour because you won't regret it... www.thedarkness.com. These photos are taken with an iphone so they are not great... one photos shows a wall we built through the graveyard its yet to be hard coated. Another photos shows a nearly complete tomb, another a boiler room ceiling we are working on.

Larry

drfrightner
02-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Sewer Tunnel further along than before... plus the final touches on the sewer itself which will drip water, blast you with water and have a giant massive rat attack you at the same time. Its going to look awesome! Get your tickets today for the behind the scenes tour because this will be the biggest and best educational experience you will have at Transworld period!

Its going to be pretty awesome! Larry

drfrightner
02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Here are photos of the new crypt we are building... its done now we will detail it and theme it out with props, vines and more. Also some new pictures of our freezer room where those bodies will hang (shown in another post).

Couple other things...

I has I have always been doing erase all the comments but keep posting them I love reading your feedback and thoughts. After they've been on here for a week or so I've been removing them so there is nothing between my posts of photos so when you scan through the pages you see the progress the steps taken to build everything.

I also am trying to answer questions... so here we go with more questions:

Q: Will our staff be on hand at the exit to answer questions.

A: For one I will be at the exit to answer questions and I know how everything on the place was done. But one person can't answer every question so yes I will have other staff members on hand to answer questions in the museum. During the behind the Scenes TOUR THIS YEAR I WILL BE IN THE MUSEUM THE WHOLE TIME! I will make sure you leave with some sort of answer. I should have been in the museum last year but I just wasn't I understand people have questions and this year I will be there to give them to you!

Larry

drfrightner
02-17-2010, 12:26 AM
And yes EVER MORE PHOTOS...

GET YOUR BEHIND THE SCENES TICKETS NOW... www.TheDarkness.com there is only about 90 left. This year I am cutting the number of people in HALF because I'm not going to deal with long lines or complaints even though this is exactly what every haunted house has but oh well ... when they are gone they are gone.

I can promise you ONE THING... this will be the #1 MOST EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE YOU WILL DO AT TRANSWORLD!

These are photos of the graveyard... today spent about 2000.00 on flowers, vases, vines, and stuff to deck out this graveyard. It will be hard coated and painted by Monday. You will see the magic of our amazing staff go to work and you will see before your eyes pink foam turn into a Disney style graveyard within days.

Larry

MDKing
02-17-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm digging the crypt scene and the foam facade is very cool...

Allan

drfrightner
02-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Here are some more pics... the tunnel now shows the troughs that will recycle and collect the water, the tomb now has its pillars, blah, blah. Everything is coming along.

We are HARD COATING TODAY... after that everything is getting painted.

Are you ready for some DETAIL some REAL detail work? Do you want to see some of the best detail work ever done to an attraction? Get ready its coming next week day by day!

We are about 5 weeks out and we've got about another week of construction, another week of painting, all next week btw, and then its all finalize the scenes. Here we go... get your behind the scenes tickets today only about 70 left. www.TheDarkness.com (http://www.TheDarkness.com)

Q: Foam in the haunt: the foam is non-flamable it can melt but not burn. Additionally its covered in a coating then drenched in fire spray.

Q: Where do you get that massive blocks of foam. You get them from a foam supply company. Look online there are tons of them.

Lastly, MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: LOL, first time ever the Darkness will feature a BLACK HALLWAY... yes no detail, no frills, nothing. There is a big room in the middle of the haunted house its a pretty big room in fact and we will not build it out NO TIME... so we are going to skip it and just put a wall down to block it off and there will be nothing but one long black hallway. Sucks I know but just have to cut this thing off... it was planned to be a really kickass mausoleum with broken into crypts, roman statues and all this other stuff. Oh well... always next year.

See you soon!

Larry

mindtumor
02-18-2010, 07:19 AM
I like the pic of blah, blah. Can you show us some whatever also?

Spoils
02-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Looks awesome Larry! We bought our tickets last night. Can not wait to see it!! The sewer tunnel is amazing.

damon carson
02-18-2010, 08:02 AM
I remember you having a black hallway at just off the top of the staircase at the Darkness.
Damon

Haunted Illinois
02-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Larry,

The picts look great! I like them all, especially the sewer tunnel and freezer. Gruesome! Be careful not to post too much, though. People may not buy tickets, if they think they have seen it all online already. HaHa!

I've got my ticket for the tour. Can't wait to see it in person! Looks like you've put a lot of work into changing things around for this season.

drfrightner
02-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments... here some more photos. As you can see we are building our furnace out of real bricks. Things are coming along!

Larry

drfrightner
02-20-2010, 01:54 AM
okay here we go as promised the work is finally starting to turn around from construction to theming...

Tell me what you think. Get your behind the scenes tour tickets now www.TheDarkness.com.

Larry

drfrightner
02-20-2010, 02:05 AM
Here even more... yes we are hard coating everything tonight. I was there wearing a breathing mask putting skulls out. Its kind of a cool idea I came up with last year... what we do is we put the skulls into the detail work and we hard coat them right on instead of glue them. Because the top doesn't come off everything stays together and its pretty much stuck.

Larry

drfrightner
02-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Couple more... next week you'll see the graveyard turn into a Disney like graveyard all within a couple days. We are filming this event for the video you can order now at www.hauntedhousesupplies.com.

Get your tickets to the tour today! www.TheDarkness.com

newhorror2010
02-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Here even more... yes we are hard coating everything tonight. I was there wearing a breathing mask putting skulls out. Its kind of a cool idea I came up with last year... what we do is we put the skulls into the detail work and we hard coat them right on instead of glue them. Because the top doesn't come off everything stays together and its pretty much stuck.

Larry

Larry,

You & your crew have done such an AMAZING job with everything, I was literally counting down the days til Transworld but I think now it's til I can see The Darkness for myself! Sure....I'm still VERY much looking forward to the Transworld show, I have my shopping list ready & am ready to BUY! BUY! BUY!
I'll post a few pics of my own soon of course on a different thread, I'd love for you all to see how the inspiration I got from both The Darkness & Netherworld turned out! It's only a single room I did leading to our makeup room but still, it's something I'm really quite proud of! Within the next few weeks when we start our construction I'm building (on my own) a new nursery scene which will be COMPLETELY new to Death Row all together.
I think so far if I were asked to choose of all the pics you've shown which was my favorite, either I wouldn't be able to choose or it would take me a VERY long time!
See you soon!

John

drfrightner
02-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Here are some more pictures. The graveyard will be painted within the next three days and the detail work will begin.

Couple questions or comments I saw...

1) Creepyworld: No we won't do anything at Creepyworld for a couple reasons. One we tore down about half of it because we are re-building we are going to make it eight haunts from four haunts. Secondly it would have been way too much work. Once we get this haunt done the way I want it meaning after this coming Haunt season maybe next year. The thing is it was overdue for a massive overhaul and that is what its going to get. Once the Haunt Show is over I'm going on vacation then we'll start working on Creepyworld.

2) Spookywoods FX: He made a comment that the way we did the bricks was wrong or something... no no it wasn't. First off I would never cut a hole and install the bricks from the backside because vac form is not that strong and eventually it would be knocked right out, its better to have that solid plywood backing behind it. Secondly we are NOT going for some FLUSH brick look, we are going for a look where the bricks are the whole entire sewer covered in concrete and parts of the concrete are eroded away. Secondly if you would come to the behind the scenes tour you could see we did a TON of build up around the vac form to make it look flush it looks awesome. I will try and get you a close up photo so you can see for yourself. I'm not saying your wrong I'm just saying we did it the way we wanted to do it.

3) Adam: Well you have a good point however I will continue to upload the photos because unless you come in person you won't see how it all works together, you won't see how the animations work, its totally different... we are only showing the process of how its built if you want to see how it all works together come to the event! But good point all the same.

Lastly, I' want to say I've given this a lot of thought and come to the conclusion that we can NOT put on the show like we would in October its JUST NOT possible... we can't even finish the haunt the way we want. We have four weeks to go and 12 weeks of work to do... we will continue to work on the haunt itself because that is what we are showcasing. We will have a better more professional operation more smooth and we are hiring about 15 to 20 actors from the industry but more or less they will be thrown into the fire! LOL

In a couple weeks we'll TRY and do some training with some of our actors but this haunted house is messy, cords hanging everywhere, no sound, no lighting, no fog, half of everything still not detailed... to do what we are doing to do the level of detail work we are doing and hire actors, and whatever just isn't possible without a lot more time.

We will have actors, and we'll do our best 10 times better than last year but flushing out what works best in a brand new haunt well we'll play it by ear and do our best job possible. The haunt itself will be mostly done and you will be AMAZED, but the educational experience we offer more than anything is seeing the haunt itself. There will be few if any haunts you see this year as detailed, as creative, as original, with props you've never seen before as this one.

Our goal is to and really ONLY goal is to SHOWCASE a haunted house to you that sets your mind ablaze with the possible to send you home energized and ready to push yourself to new limits.

Finding and training the best actors we can with sooooo little time left will almost be impossible but we will try and we will do a better job than last year just not making any promises to scare the living daylights out of anyone... LOL.

I will promise one thing... our new scene where the ceiling falls on you if that doesn't scare you, you simply are not human! Just standing under it is scary its huge everyone who has seen it fell to the floor even knowing it was being activated. That effect is worth the price of admission itself!

LOL

Larry

drfrightner
02-23-2010, 03:29 AM
Couple other things I wanted to mention...

1) Don't care won't do it no matter what... will not add more behind the scenes tickets once they are sold out they are gone. There are only like 55 left, and right now we are selling about 5 to 10 per day.

2) Won't sell more than HALF the number of tickets for either Friday or Saturday so once they are gone they are gone... lots left on Friday.

3) I will not expose myself to the situation of last year, haunters walk like snails so I see the need to cut the number in half to give a better show so that is what we will do! Money doesn't mean anything to me at this point its really all about trying to do a better job this year. That is what I'm trying to do, not saying everything will be perfect because it still is a FIRST NIGHT/WEEKEND type of deal but all the same once these are gone they are gone.

4) We will NOT do this again! We are WORN OUT... this is probably the most stressful we have ever been in our company history so we are done.

I can't do what people have suggested 'just open like it was last year and charge 20.00... I can't do that. For me its all or nothing full tilt boggy, swing for the fence or don't even show up to the game. This is just me.

I will not renovate the Darkness to this extent ever again, we NEVER renovate The Darkness to the extreme we have these last two years, we only did it for THE HAUNT INDUSTRY! I saw this as an opportunity to really INSPIRE haunt owners, and with the ice cold reaction from some last year, coupled with the money this is costing (this year costing about 6 to 1 on return) and the stress its putting everyone under, its just not worth another run...

So I give up! NO MAS... LOL

Right now we are WAY OVER the $150,000 budget we originally set, then we blew by the adjusted budget we discussed ($200,000) and I don't know when it stops, so I just have to stop.

Please come to our tour and take the tour for what we are offering an opportunity to see just how far you can take the attraction, understand there just is no limit, that anything you want to do is possible.

This year I'm doing a seminar on DETAIL, a video on DETAIL, and a haunt tour about DETAIL... so what I'm I trying to say?

Let me get back to you on that one! LOL

Ummm... DETAILED HAUNTS are the ones that take you to the top of the mountain because not everyone can do it so you be the one who can and you will out perform your competition in 2010! I hope this haunt tour, our dvd, and our seminar will help you!

The TV will love you, Travel Channel might film you, your customers will be blown away...

Hope to see you here... www.TheDarkness.com and YES AGAIN I WILL BE STANDING IN THE MUSEUM ANSWERING ALL QUESTIONS!

Larry

drfrightner
02-23-2010, 11:23 PM
here are more photos from today... things are really cooking now. We will have our graveyard painted by end of the day Wed. Additionally we ordered 25 sound activated pre-amped digital units for our actor sound scares we are installing. I can't remember the company we are buying these from but I think its something like EFX Tech or something like that... I suggest everyone get them from these guys. I'll get their exact company name and address...

If you want to do actor activated scares this will be the company to order them from BAR NONE... they are selling the units for like $90.00 and they are pre-amped all you need is a speaker which you can get anywhere.

Once I have all the info I'll let you guys know. Awesome stuff.

Designed just for this one effect.

Larry

drfrightner
02-25-2010, 12:50 AM
More photos and your first PEEK at some of the new monsters going into The Darkness... get your tickets now or you will NOT see this stuff any place else. I had Unit 70 make some of this stuff and I just found out they are NOT going to the show this year. Larry

drfrightner
02-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Taking some more photos down here at the Darkness working on a SECRET VIDEO we might sell... LOL

Get your behind the scenes tickets NOW... only about 50 or so left. go to www.thedarkness.com

Larry

drfrightner
02-26-2010, 02:21 AM
Here are more...

Get your behind the scenes tickets today www.TheDarkness.com

drfrightner
02-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Yes even more photos ...

Get your tickets today. Larry

drfrightner
02-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Are you coming for the educational experience of 2010? I will be sitting in the museum to answer ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS! Get your tickets TODAY... www.thedarkness.com

Larry

drfrightner
02-26-2010, 03:31 AM
EWVE2yVa6BY

drfrightner
02-27-2010, 05:22 AM
More photos...

www.TheDarkness.com

drfrightner
02-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Here are some more... www.thedarkness.com get your tickets.

Pumpkin King
02-27-2010, 10:13 AM
I am in awe right now...
It's amazing how quickly it changed from pink foam to the most detailed ruin ever!
You guys inspire me to go out there and work hard and have our best production ever!
And I haven't even seen it in person yet...
Thanks.

coasterfreak63
02-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Im in the same exact state as pumpkin king.

I never even knew things like that could be done starting with just foam its just amazing.

And your doing all of this in a matter of months.

I could only dream of coming to the tour, mabye in the next couple of years.

drfrightner
03-03-2010, 04:45 AM
As promised here are a few more photos. Thursday is going to be a big day around here... we are going to set all the scenes and props into the rooms. I will provide a couple more photos over the next week and from there you'll have to just come to the event.

We have a TON OF WORK TO DO...

Over the next couple weeks we'll turn our attention to hooking up sound, fog, and animations. We'll be done with scene work after this week.

There is only like 20 tickets left for the behind the scenes tour... get them NOW! www.TheDarkness.com (http://www.TheDarkness.com).

Once you go to the show on Friday and everyone tells you WOW you should have gone you'll regret it later. The behind the scenes tour is REALLY the ONLY way to see the event its really the only way I should ever do this this tour because its nearly impossible for me to rebuild the attraction and get the operation side going this fast.

So there ya have it...

Few more photos then I will see you in St. Lou!

Larry

drfrightner
03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
More photos... by Friday I'm going to upload some really cool photos and last ones probably before the show. Larry

the ogre
03-03-2010, 08:08 PM
WOW just everything, wow. hey larry if i move from PA to STL. will you hire me. pwitty pweeeeesae! lol

drfrightner
03-06-2010, 04:44 AM
The behind the scenes tour is almost sold out. Hurry up!

Saturday is almost sold out so you better hurry up.

Larry

kpolley
03-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Well, I have to jump in here. What you guys don't understand is that Larry always does this. He pushes very hard to make as many cool changes to The Darkness as possible and often we end up having to scrap something due to time contraints...it's just the way it is. Larry really wants to make the place as cool and different as possible and sometimeswe just try too much. This was going on long before we started opening up for TW. What you are getting at the show is not a half-finished Darkness. We have done everything we could, have had to scrap or change a couple things, but have made the best haunt we could. Did we get everything done we wanted...no. Willl we ever...no. It's because we push ourselves to the limit to make the show as good as possible. We've essentially completely remade the second floor. My point in all this...don't sit here and say we gave you a half done hautn for the tour. The Darkness will be done, we just didn't finish everything we wanted to. Had Larry not posted all the progress pictures and told you all his plans you would never know that we didn't finish everything. It's not half done or incomplete, we just had to change our plans a bit...something nobody would even know about had Larry not been so diligent to keep everyone up to date on our progress.

When it comes to the actors, we're doing our best. We are pulling in people from all over to try and fill the place with as many quality actors as we can and we're even doing a dry run of the place next week to try and get the actors better aquainted with the redesigned attraction. Will everyone be happy with the quality of our actors? Of course not...haunters are hard to please...but we are doing our best to get the actors ready.

Now, as for the ticket price, I'm going to say something that Larry and I and a thousand other people said last year...If you don't like the price - don't come! We have nearly sold out the tour. There appears to be plenty of people who feel like the tour is worth the money. If you don't agree you don't have to come. I really want a new Mustang, but I don't want to pay for it so I don't buy it. I don't yell at Ford for setting the price so high...plenty of people are willing to pay for it. I'm not so I don't own it. Why is this any different?

Look, here's the deal. Come if you want to...don't if you don't. All I know is every year there are tours at every tradeshow and convention and every single time that a haunt is gracious enugh to open it's doors to this industry we turn around and smack them in the face. All you ever hear is complaining. The food wasn't good, the transportation sucked, the actors weren't scary, the detail was terrible, it was poorly organized, it cost too much, the weather was bad, etc. etc. etc. Personally, I don't know why Larry puts himself through this crap. Getting Darkness ready to go like this is a massive undertaking involving tons of money and even more time and effort. Sure, we'd do it anyway to get ready for next haunt season...but we have TWICE the time. It's a whole lot easier on that time frame. I feel like way too many people want to come to the tour hoping it will disappoint them so they can run back here and tell everyone about it. How about you come if you want to and come with the intention of having a good time and...as my mother used to say...if you can't say something nice then just don't say anything at all.

SomeThingInTheIce
03-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Think of it this way, would you open your haunt in Oct. if you knew that only say 2,000 people would come for the whole month? No, why because you would be spending way more then you would take in. Knowing that how can you open and still come close to making some money, you charge more for the ticket. After seeing The Darkness last year, I'm shocked that larry only charges $20.00 in Oct. I think he could charge more and people would pay it, but thats me. Being in Florida there are no haunt that have that kind of budget other then HHN and HOS and there you pay way more then $20.00 in Oct.

spookhaven
03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I agree Ken. And Larry, you shouldn't have to explain this to everyone. If they want to spend the money for educational and entertainment purposes fine, if not sit in the bar and spend more than 50.00 by the end of the night.

Raycliff Manor
03-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I'll just say this... I don't know how you do it! Last year was AWESOME! I think it's funny that you say last year was a mess Larry. It blew all of us from the Raycliff Fright Team away! Like Kip said, only you knew what you wanted to have that you didn't. Seriously... I really don't know how you do it! I do know you have one hell of a talented crew and you have one hell of a vision my friend!

Kel

For the record, I don't by any means have deep pockets and I thought the price was a bargain. I really don't know how you do it!!!

brad
03-11-2010, 04:19 AM
Larry, I saw that you added 50 tickets to a 10-10:30 slot. I just went to buy those, and I dont see a selection for that. It only shows the earlier times that are sold out.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Also, I would love to work there on 1 one both nights. Do you have any more spots open? And there are some guys on here(Raycliff Manor and Haunt House) that can attest to me acting.

Let me know when you can about the tickets.

drfrightner
03-11-2010, 04:55 AM
I keep going back and forth with Interactive Ticketing lets hope they get it done today...

Once they go up BUY THEM QUICK...

Larry

newhorror2010
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Larry,

I came through last year during Transworld & I gotta agree with a prior post, myself & the friend I was with were COMPLETELY & TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by what we saw! You say it was a complete mess.....I don't know how! When my friend & I came out the exit we were both in awe & more or less SPEECHLESS! FINALLY when we were able to start foming words in our brains again to make at least half-way coherent sense we talked up a storm about the place & had a hard time stopping right up to the point of turning off the lights in our hotel room as we turned in for the night.
As far as we were concerned you & your staff PUT ON ONE HELL OF A SHOW! We came back to our home haunt in TN grinning ear to ear. TRUST me when I say this, the haunt I work for doesn't have all that deep of pockets either but we fair out. I've been helping to build, maintain, & promote the house for almost 10 years now from start to finish, I KNOW what a challenge it can be at times in trying to get everything you want done but sometimes having to leave things out here & there.
I give you kudos for last year & I'm MORE than looking forward to coming back this time......especially EXCITED to act for ya friday & saturday! See ya soon!

John

drfrightner
03-13-2010, 03:03 AM
Couple more pictures... I walked through Darkness tonight and I'm not bragging on our place but OMG its pretty freakin awesome. This is what several hundred thousand dollars will get you! LOL

Actually what it really is is simply a lot of experience. I was watching our Kennywood video tonight and I look back and think way back then I thought that was awesome but now I think I wish we can do it again.

The more things you do the more things you try the more risks you take the farther you push yourself the better you will get... right now we are at a peak and that is where we are all at.

You take these lessons and you learn from them, you take advantage of what you can and run with it... you guys are all a lot farther along than I way back when because there was no books, magazines, videos, or communication between haunts there was just you in your own city.

Take advantage of every opportunity you can find and go go go ...

My education was expensive, costly and in the end when I walk through my haunted house all clean and basically all together it feels GOOD!

Now I invite you back into my haunt, the haunt is the feature, the production of our haunt will be the feature in october but now right now for you the owners and operators of haunts the haunt itself if what I present to you its 20 years of hard work!

I hope you take something from it and come out better for your visit.

Larry

HouseOfHorrors
03-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Wow... Looks ridiculously awesome!!! I can't wait to see it!!

drfrightner
03-19-2010, 03:27 AM
Here are a couple photos added to this thread as well...

About 40 tickets left to the behind the scenes tour... www.TheDarkness.com

drfrightner
03-30-2010, 02:28 AM
I wanted to say thanks to everyone who came to our show. As promised I located myself at the exit of the haunt, I answered all questions asked of me, and tried to thank everyone who came through.

It was fun to see so many haunters enjoy themselves. We worked very hard to produce the best show possible 6 months prior to really opening the haunt.

I realize we made some mistakes last year, although we tried very hard, I took all your feedback, all of your positive and negative comments and all of my experience from last year and corrected as much as I could again in March.

In general it seems like everyone had a great time.

I'm very SORRY for those who didn't get to see the SCARIEST animation ever created (Barrel Wall) on Saturday... we learned something about our haunt based on its failure, something we didn't see coming.

We need to improve our compressed air system... so many people in the haunt brought the air levels to a level that was too low to lift the barrel wall on Saturday. We will gut our airline system in favor of a new system 4 times bigger... I hope that works.

It was very stressful opening for the haunt industry, last year and well more so this year because I wanted everything to be perfect. When the barrel wall stopped working I got pretty depressed... oh well.

The barrel wall works just not with that low of air pressure something we'll fix... I will get a video of it up on youtube for everyone to see.

Again thanks for all of your support. It meant a lot to me and my staff.

Thanks Again.
Larry

jakprintsHAUNT
03-30-2010, 03:23 AM
Thanks for letting us all in for both the behind the scenes and live tours! It was awesome to see some great attractions outside the normal "season". Especially for those of us that work haunts and do not often get to see other attractions due to our already busy schedules. Also to allow the most jaded of customers through, people that know the "spots" and gags.

I believe my two favorite scenes in the live show were Cameron (I believe that is his name, one of the vendors told me his name) that was working in the funeral scene with the pews, and the statue girl. Both got me pretty good, and I even got a warning about Cameron, he was amazing, and super professional. And the floating bayou almost made me seasick..lol.

Your show is definitely a sensory overload. Lots of great eye candy everywhere you looked. Felt like a Niagra Falls tourist taking photos and wowing at everything on the lights on tour...lol. Thanks again for the opportunity!

Mike "Pogo" Hach

MorgueofDoom
03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Larry,
The Darkness tour was amazing this year! The timed ticketing was a nice touch, didnt have to wait but maybe 30 minutes. Your actors did great, got me on several occasions. The group scares is what got me the most. The falling ceiling got me good! Even though the barrell wall didn't work, it was still impressive to see. I look forward to the youtube video. However, your other leaning barrels got me...

The detail with your new scenes was very impressive. They blended well with the rest attraction. The endless hallway illusions were awesome. I tried not to stare at them for to long.

Thank you Larry and thank you to your team. Ya'lls hard work with your attraction made for a very enjoyable and educational experience. You waiting at the exit was a nice touch as well. I wanted to shake your hand and tell you thanks but you were surrounded by many people. So I thank you here. We drove from Texas thru the night for 11 hrs straight to see Transworld and The Darkness for one day. Even though we were only able to stay that one day, Transworld, with The Darkness tour as well as the 3 hrs spent at City Museum may have been the best 15 hrs of my life.

Can't wait for next year. Thanks Again!

Dreamreaper
03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
The barrel wall worked when we went through, it was awsome .The sound that it made was incredible. I know you were rushed on the lighting but I was disappointed that all your new work was so dark .It didnt show the awsome detail that you had put into it. Still enjoyed your Haunt , Thank you.

drfrightner
03-31-2010, 12:59 AM
The lighting was done in the last three days of the show. We will continue to work on both the sound and lighting but mostly the air problems.

Next year I won't be doing another tour of Darkness mainly because I'm not planning any major renovations 2011. If I can think of something major to do without tearing out the whole attraction might reconsider but I doubt it.

I do know we plan on building one MAJOR scene it was the scene we didn't build this year because we ran out of time. We'll work on that one next year.

NO ONE got to see the ACTORS RIG ... once we get that working I'll post some photos of it and or a video.

We built an actors rig that lifts an actor into the air and over the top of customers...basically making an actor FLY!

It worked a few times have some photos of that, but didn't get all the bugs worked out so we decided not to attempt to do anything for the safety of our actors.

I'm almost positive we are doing a third haunted houses here in St. Louis in a MAJOR location... if we do this we'll do a tour because you'll love the place. But we'll see...

If we finish anything else on the Darkness 2010 I will post some photos here!!!

I will start a thread soon about Creepyworld 2010. I will do exactly what we did last year and show you the build out of Creepyworld. Stay right here and you'll see that place go from nearly nothing to a major attraction.

Larry

SomeThingInTheIce
03-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Larry, I'm sure people would still go on a tour even if you didn't do thing to it. It's not everyday that a haunter gets to go to a haunt, let alone one like the Darkness.

The lighting was done in the last three days of the show. We will continue to work on both the sound and lighting but mostly the air problems.

Next year I won't be doing another tour of Darkness mainly because I'm not planning any major renovations 2011. If I can think of something major to do without tearing out the whole attraction might reconsider but I doubt it.

I do know we plan on building one MAJOR scene it was the scene we didn't build this year because we ran out of time. We'll work on that one next year.

NO ONE got to see the ACTORS RIG ... once we get that working I'll post some photos of it and or a video.

We built an actors rig that lifts an actor into the air and over the top of customers...basically making an actor FLY!

It worked a few times have some photos of that, but didn't get all the bugs worked out so we decided not to attempt to do anything for the safety of our actors.

I'm almost positive we are doing a third haunted houses here in St. Louis in a MAJOR location... if we do this we'll do a tour because you'll love the place. But we'll see...

If we finish anything else on the Darkness 2010 I will post some photos here!!!

I will start a thread soon about Creepyworld 2010. I will do exactly what we did last year and show you the build out of Creepyworld. Stay right here and you'll see that place go from nearly nothing to a major attraction.

Larry

spookhaven
03-31-2010, 09:16 PM
We saw the barrel room work on Thursday. I think you were having some issues with them turning on you and not rolling all the way back. But the noise this wall makes is really great. Nice touch like your bodies that fall down from the ceiling.

I have to say that I liked the way you set up your actor area for the application of the clown makeup. Got us thinking about our actor room and makeup area.

It was an overall great show.

Oh and Gary (your fellow that has been with you for years) is a really cool guy to talk to. He is great with PR. And the little fellow that was in the church season, he is just awesome and loves his job.

Rex W.
03-31-2010, 10:31 PM
We toured on Saturday and even though the barrel room was'nt operating we were overly impressed with everything. Truly awesome!

brad
03-31-2010, 10:47 PM
LArry, lloking forward to more pics of Darkness and Creepyworld.

And what was the older thread on CreepyWorld from last year? I dont remember seeing it.

drfrightner
04-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Again thanks to everyone who attended our tour. I have a video coming out next week about the tour... you might see yourself. Its a five minute video with interviews, footage and more. I will post next week.

Lastly, I wanted to say we will do some kind of tour next year on a NEW attraction we are working on. Once I have everything in order and know exactly what we're going to do I will post all the details on this website.

We were talking about Darkness as well I've just had so many people including TW asking us to open it again... we will not be doing any type of major renovation to the place next year so I don't think it warrents a tour.

However we are gonig to tear out one room downstairs and build one major room upstairs so if we do something MAJOR we might open The Darkness as just a walk through with no actors on the same night we open this NEW attraction.

We'll see but I will let everyone know soon.

Anyway again thanks for the support and look for the video next week.

Larry

drfrightner
02-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Take another look back at these threads the older Darkness threads... You can see how far The Darkness has come over the last three years. This thread is YEAR TWO... I think when you look back you'll see the effort we've put into this and see just how we've tried to do everything we could to keep you guys entertained. The education process has been great for ourselves and hopefully for you guys as well... I really hope that our three tours have helped this industry become better across the board. This was our only goal.

I think this year though 2011 takes the cake... its the best of the three years. However you be the judge.

Larry