PDA

View Full Version : Synergy between two Haunted Attractions

Boni
10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
If you can't bet them, join them. Anyone ever combined with a nearby haunt to form one great haunt and allow you to advertise further away because you didn't have to worry about counter acting the marketing efforts of the other haunt locally.

You also wouldn't have to fight for actors as much, etc.

The two haunts I am thinking about work with each other, hand out flyers for each other, etc, but I don't think either can really draw the numbers they need while the other is around unless they both improve their show ($$$$$$) and advertise to markets outside of the local market ($$$$$$$)

By combining, the amount of props and animitronics makes it a great show, and marketing dollars can be spent on nearby towns of 150,000 to 250,000 in population. The local population of the town the haunts are in is 25,000.

Boni
10-29-2009, 12:20 PM
any thoughts?????

HauntedMemphis
10-29-2009, 12:43 PM
It's possible it could work, but I think they will have A LOT of issues to work through in order to make it viable.

Who owns what? Who's in charge? Would they be better off having two events at one location or one bigger single event? Do their demographics mix? Do they have different styles of business? Are they both for profit or non-profit? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each haunt?

Much like any merger or acquisition, the final product isn't just the sum of the parts.

shawnc
10-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I'd say the personalities of the owners would be the biggest factor.

A good compromise might be to locate them in the same place but give them different names and themes. They could advertise two haunts for the price of one. There are many haunts that offer more than one attraction. It helps with the marketing and makes customers feel they are getting more for their money.

Kevin Dells
10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
As the two said before me would the owners be good for each other, if so then sure it's worth a try and yes it would draw more attendance.

My initial thougths would be combine the haunts into one just because if you do two seperate attractions on one property i could see one doing better than the other and the loser getting upset and wanting out.

It would be tough and i would do it well in advance of even moving the first prop but i would get both crews together (not just the owners) and see how it plays out, sometimes even the teen actors can act like buttheads enough by backing up the haunt they so love that it will cause major conflict.

The owners if they get along well would come around to the idea faster because it's more money in their pockets... Money talks Struggling haunts walk!

Boni
10-30-2009, 05:00 AM
To answer some questions, both are kid oriented not for profits.

One organizer is great at building, wiring, props, the other is great at design, marketing, training actors.

What one lacks to push it over the top the other has and vice-versa.

If they could take the props and construction from one and mix it with the design and timing of the other, wow, could be dyanmite.

The other factor on actors is that both have a nice pool of adult actors, but suppliment with some younger ones. A combo haunt could be all adult actors, or at least 16 and above.

Downside is the control, who does what, who has final say, that will require some negotiation.

Terrorknight
10-30-2009, 06:20 AM
If you have good synergy between to haunt owners working as one it shouldn't come down to who makes the final call. The point is to have two people with different views but open minds so that when coming across a problem they can pro and con it and work to the best course of action. I was in the same kind of set up where we had 3 people making calls and for a lot of years it worked out well because I felt that because we didn't see eye to eye we all thru out our points of view and talked thru it and came out with the best idea, but the down side is ego and after years of success people start believing in there head that they were the one that made all the right choices and conflict arose and tore a good thing apart. Bottom line respect the people your working with and listen to each other and your haunt will be a success.

Drjkyll
10-30-2009, 09:02 AM
There's no doubt there would have to be a good working relationship between the owners, but that can be difficult due to a lot of the strong personalities and opinions by a lot of those in the business. I've seen several partnerships go south. Though under the right circumstances it would definitely work.

We have actually very much wanted to join forces with Zombie Manor outside of Dallas. We worked together at this years Texas Frightmare Weekend and the owners of the two haunts have become very good friends. All of our actors get along as well. We have different styles of haunt, but have absolutely no doubt if we joined forces we'd have an multiple attraction to reckon with in our area. Unfortunately we are located way, way too far apart to realistically combine.