PDA

View Full Version : Bungie Platform

rwrussom
11-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Do any of you use a bungee platform? How has it worked out for you?

Did you buy or build? If you built, care to share your experiences.

We have a lot of vertical space we did not have time to utilize this year but are looking for ides for next.

Thanks.

monsterwax
11-05-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm in the same boat, we wanted a guy to bungee in this year's show, but couldn't find the cord for sale anywhere. (The lawyers must really have the retail folks sitting on steak knives on this product.) So we had a guy on a harness float over their heads instead. We still want to do the bungee next year though.

freak 'n' stein
11-05-2009, 09:40 PM
This topic was a post a few weeks ago...

http://www.studiotekfx.com/slingshot.html

Nightmare_Trance
11-06-2009, 08:04 AM
You could look at the bungie trampolines and use their harness systems and cords. The frame doesn't seem to difficult to build.

rwrussom
11-06-2009, 09:39 AM
A few parts links I have come across.

http://www.bungeetrampoline.com/

RJ Productions
11-15-2009, 01:39 AM
The issue I have with building something like this yourself is the engineering.
This really has the potenial of injurying your actors, your patrons or both if done incorrectly.

I know that the Studio Tek unit was engineered in cooperation with a bungee manufacturer.
It has been in use by most of the major theme parks and they usually do their homework first.

It can be a cool effect, but this definately one of those products that falls into the "somethings you build, somethings you buy" catagory of "something you buy"!!

Or you may be like the Jeff Foxworth bit about the first bungee jumper..." Shorten up the card a bit Harold....and give his girlfriend a free T-Shirt"!!!

Allen H
11-15-2009, 06:13 PM
I built my own this year. the actor leaped down from a 4ft platform and landed then retracted back up, because of how he was positinoned he got three scares per group.
I used a climbing harness from REI, the bungee cords were from harbor freight and the other hardware was from depot, costed about $200 total.
It was plenty safe and my insurance guy never batted an eye at it. I would not recommend going more than 4 ft building it your self. I also had a safety wire on the cord clip so that if anything gave way nothing would fall on the patrons, it was very safe.
This was the first thing I built for my show this year and it was up and running a month before opening and was constantly tested before being used in front of the public, the platform was padded and the drop was only 4ft so its not like if it went south people would die or anything.
Allen H

Allen H
11-15-2009, 06:15 PM
I built my own this year. the actor leaped down from a 4ft platform and landed then retracted back up, because of how he was positinoned he got three scares per group.
I used a climbing harness from REI, the bungee cords were from harbor freight and the other hardware was from depot, costed about $200 total.
It was plenty safe and my insurance guy never batted an eye at it. I would not recommend going more than 4 ft building it your self. I also had a safety wire on the cord clip so that if anything gave way nothing would fall on the patrons, it was very safe.
This was the first thing I built for my show this year and it was up and running a month before opening and was constantly tested before being used in front of the public, the platform was padded and the drop was only 4ft so its not like if it went south people would die or anything.
Allen H

freak 'n' stein
11-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Allen H

Awesome Allen! Care to post a detailed part list? I went to the HF website and noticed they only carried the tie-down type bungee cords...unless that is the type you used? Also went to the REI website to check out their harnesses...care to share the style/brand of harness you used?? Ultimately, do you have any pics!? Thanks for all the info so far!! Gets me and the team moving in a positive direction since we wanted to build on for this season!!

freak 'n' stein
11-15-2009, 11:12 PM
QUESTION!?

Anyone know of any creative uses for a platform? What sort of application in the haunt would get the most BANG for the buck?! How would you position it in your space to make sure your actor startles then disappears? This past year at Netherworld the room was completely dark and the guy just jumped out at us...any creative sets that would go with the platform?!

bhays
11-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Allen H

I would love to see a parts list and diagram as well if you are willing to share.

Allen H
11-16-2009, 10:55 AM
I will get one together for you guys, expect it in a few hours, I kinda just did it so I need to look at it to figure out all I used.

bhays
11-16-2009, 11:14 AM
I will get one together for you guys, expect it in a few hours, I kinda just did it so I need to look at it to figure out all I used.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Allen H
11-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Here is a decent run down of what I did.
I used 8 of these, I added two when I used 180lb actors as opposed to 150lb actors, so get 10 total
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99891
after taking off the plastic clips from each end a figure eight knot was used to tie one end to
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92414
then those were fed through a 2ft length of chain that was attached to an eye bolt at the tie off point. to find the right line height I simply had them hold the bundle of bungee cords and jump off of the platform (it was 4 ft high) when the right effect was achieved I cut the cords to the right length and attached those ends to screw links as well. they were then attached to a large hook with a locking latch that would hook to the harness.
my first harness was http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200129724_200129724
It worked fine but was not comfortable with out extra padding.
I then went to
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200322182_200322182
It worked great. An actor went out and bought this one for themselves and I was able to have two actors always harnessed up and able to switch out quickly.
http://www.rei.com/product/789866
this harness was more comfortable for them but required a loop added at the back and a tehther clip to lengthen the bungee as it attaches above the waist as opposed to between the shoulders like the other harness, but it worked out fine.
their platform was a storage box that I use for storing haunt props. Here is a quick schematic of the layout.
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu201/stiltbeast/bungeescare.jpg
Feel free to PM or email if you need more info

freak 'n' stein
11-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Feel free to PM or email if you need more info

Allen, thanks so much for the quick response...you're awesome. Definitely gonna get the team moving in a positive direction!!!

freak 'n' stein
11-16-2009, 10:43 PM
I couldn't help myself...just had to draw up a 3D sketch...is this similar to what your platform looks like? Can't WAIT to start on one!!

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm319/freaknstein89/bungeeplatform.png

Allen H
11-17-2009, 12:10 AM
thats pretty close, Since my theme this year was bugs the set was a big spiders lair beef netting webs and hot glue webs everywhere, and polyurethane sprayed balloons made into giant spider egg sacks. very effective room. The actors costume had light up eyes and extra arms so it was pretty cool.
Nice sketch up.

scarygoat
11-17-2009, 04:25 AM
Giant bugs? NICE! Allen, when you say hot glue webs did you use those special hot glue spider web guns or did you JUST use a hot glue gun? I've never done much cob webs in my haunt and I want to find a better way of doing them instead of that cheap cotton stuff and without spending all the money on the cob web gun.

Allen H
11-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Long before "thermoplastic" webbing guns the guys at Skull kingdom used a hot glue gun held in front of a hair dryer. With the new guns being $20 now though there is no reason not to have one or make your own as the plans are every where online.
You can do it both ways, I have one gun and had another person with the hairdryer and glue gun. Just play around with letting glue drip in front of the dryer and aiming it where you want to go. I like to tack up fishing line in a few key areas in order to give it some place to land. Then If you want you can spray paint the webs.
Allen H

Seenickdesign
01-16-2010, 05:27 PM
My 2 cents...
We used 2 bungee rigs this year with a good deal of success. My observation (and my experience may be different than others) is that the bungee is effective, but the placement and integration of the rig is extremely important, because if it doesn't integrate (safely) with your scene/them, it's just a stunt platform.
The platform we used is very similar to the one Allen has shared. Ours was designed by a professional stunt company using stunt-grade hardware and equipment. I can't stress how careful to be if you are building your own. Getting a qualified engineer, etc. to at least take a look is a good idea. There's a lot of stress/force put on the frame by an average size performer.

A few other safety thoughts:
-It's good to have a black-out tech, 2nd actor, etc. near the platform to watch out for problems.
Some people love to try to grab at the performer in the "down" position so the safety person needs to be there to keep your tethered actor from becoming a "punching bag pinata."

-Also, it may be necessary to pad the uprights of the rig in case the actor comes back up at an odd angle and hits it with their shoulder. A little experience will alleviate this problem, but definitely good for training.

Theme:
We disguised one rig in a clown-themed 3D attraction and painted the rig flat black. We then painted a 4'-0" diam. circle on he facing of the platform so it looked as if the clown were standing on a large balance ball and jumping off of it. It worked well and many folks voted it as their favorite element in the haunt.

Hope this helps!