PDA

View Full Version : Hauntworld Magazine January Edition

drfrightner
11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Couple of things... yes we'll produce a January issue of Hauntworld Magazine...

1) the ENTIRE FOCUS of the magazine will be on costumes, make up and masks... where to get them, what is the best, tips and secrets.

2) We will review TWO haunted houses and give you all the details about all the tradeshows and events 2010.

I already have idea's for all of this but if you are interested in writting an article about make up, costumes, masks secrets, tips and tricks let me know. Secondly what haunts do you think we should feature... I have NO ONE in mind right now NO ONE!

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions on what type of articles you'd like to see about costumes, masks and make up?

Hit me up here or by email.

Larry

MindWerxKMG
11-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I'll throw Nightshade Manor and Raycliff Manor into the ring for potential featured haunts.

steve
11-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Larry, I sent you an email.

krazedklownkilla
11-07-2009, 07:22 AM
I would like to see Haunted Hoochie as one of the haunts. And I would like to see the cfx and spfx mask in this issue
MCL
Hatchet

soultrkr
11-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I would really like to see articles on proper care and storage of diffrent kinds of Equipment like makeup and masks to maximize their life spans.
I would also like to see maybe a list of must read books and maybe instructional dvd's that are must see for the haunt industry.

Maybe a product review of diffrent masks and cotume companies products that got used this season.

Darkangel
11-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Nightshade Manor and Raycliff Manor sound good to see!

Darkangel

brad
11-07-2009, 09:59 AM
maybe Cutting Edge?

themagicofjustinarrigo
11-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I'd love to see an article about Nightmare New England/Spooky World!

Maybe a picture tutorial on the best way to repair a torn silicone mask as well!

Darkblood
11-07-2009, 01:48 PM
My vote is for Raycliff Manor for one!

Dr Spooktakular
11-07-2009, 01:51 PM
How about an article on how to make sock masks and all the details that go into it, if I'm not mistaken Ben Armstrong or one of his guys makes a lot of these for Netherworld. Yes, we all know about sock masks, but how do you really make a great mask?

SomeThingInTheIce
11-07-2009, 01:56 PM
How about WareHouse 31, their first year and they pulled in just under 25,000 guest.

Grimley
11-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Still never got a good article on Haunted Overload we were promised.

gadget-evilusions
11-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Raycliff Manor!

lurker
11-08-2009, 02:07 PM
At the risk of appearing immodest I have to suggest (cause few other haunters get to venture off the beaten path during season) our attraction, DarkWood Manor (http://www.darkwoodmanor.net/). We have built a first class attraction over the course of the last nine years. Which hasnít been easy being in a rural location, but DarkWood is one of a handful of attractions that is transforming VA into a haunter state.
Here are some photos

Actor Photos (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=119928&id=622070938&l=6bcbef7d6d)
Set Photos (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=120534&id=622070938&l=ac277a6090)

We will have a video soon to share. I hired a professional video crew to shoot this season, and from just the raw footage it looks great.

Also, while Iím self promoting, we started producing foam latex masks this year designed specifically for haunted house use. We made sock masks for years out of prosthetics for DarkWood, but gluing a prosthetic, designed to be attached to a face for movie/tv make-up use, has draw backs when it comes to haunting. Haunting, as we all know is a different beast, and we designed our masks to over come the shortcomings of a regular prosthetic glued to a stocking. You can check them out at our web site
WICKADELLA CREATIONS (http://www.wickadella.com/)
We sold a number of these to several haunted attraction in VA and on the east coast.
We have some new and exciting designs in mind for 2010 that will be made for the specific needs (look and comfort) of haunted house actors.

badlander2000
11-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Let's get some more Western New York exposure! House of Horrors and Dark Raven Manor get my vote! To see great photos of Dark Raven Manor, go to this link:

http://wny-haunters.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastupby&uid=6

Matt Marich
11-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Larry, Why don't you do a vendor company profile such as Gore Galore , Fright Props, et al? Find out how people got started, how they develop products, and compete in this industry?

I know most Haunt Vendors are major fans of the Holiday.

drfrightner
11-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Matt,

Seems like the other magazines are donig those vendor profiles... I feel as a haunt owner that haunt owners would rather have content that would advance their business, help them learn a new trick of the trade, give them information that no one else has, stuff they can use to improve their overall business. Reading articles about a vendor or articles about serial killers, or how to make a cake or whatever are all great stuff, very entertaining but not the direction I take.

My magazine is for the person who owns a haunted house, or someone who is thinking about owning a haunted house, an amusement park, amusement operator or whatever... the articles are geared towards those folks. If you are a vendor you should want people who buy the magazine to read it cover to cover not skim through it because there is nothing useful for their business.

With the net being what it is today, every vendor can do a feature on themselves put that on their website and tell their own story. People can now find so much information on the web they don't need magazines anymore unless you make that magazine something they can't do without.

I focus on attracting new subscribers who own or want to own attractions, and we try and keep all the stories and articles on topic geared towards those folks which helps our supporters more than if we did it the other way around.

I'm not going to do articles on vendors as a tool or ploy to get someone to advertise and then spin that off as content to our readers who are paying for the magazine. I hope this answers your question.

Larry

Matt Marich
11-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Advertising spin off was never my intent, since I suggested it, I would never take on an article on us, it's hipocritical. Larry, there are some wonderful companies and some not so wonderful companies, this is part of Haunting. If you only knew the phone conversations I get during the season from pissed off, ripped off haunters. This is just as important as owning a haunt.

My intend was to delve into the background of our Industries players, how did you start? We're you a garage haunter? Did you get into it through Church or JC's. This isn't some cheap advertising gimmick.

drfrightner
11-10-2009, 03:09 AM
Matt,

I don't mean its an ad gimmick by the vendor I think its an ad gimmick by the magazine itself... you tell the vendor 'hey we want to do a story on your... btw, how many full page ads do you want to buy'.

I don't think every vendor or even every haunt or even every business no matter the industry understands the basics of advertisement especially today in this new age of marketing. I think when you do this you are cheating the subscribers who are really paying for the magazine to help their business and nothing more.

I think you go where you know you can find new customers because that is what its all about... if you've done work for me in the past and did a good job i will come back no matter if you place a zillion ads in a zillion magazines. If you do a bad job I will not come back to you again if you buy a zillion ads in magazine or if you don't. I already know about you so NO AMOUNT of ads, no amount of stories on you will bring my money to your company. Advertisement in magazines isn't about reminding current or past clients you are still around, its more about finding NEW CUSTOMERS, those new haunts who do not yet know about you or haven't even bought anything from you.

Who out of all the magazines in this industry do you think appeals to the new buyers, or gears the magazine towards the people who actually own attractions? Which magazine is more likely or have the most new eyeballs that will buy something from your company? Which of the magazines do you think your buyers are more likely to read cover to cover and which one will they simply skim through?

Me I would pick one and stick with it because I'm sure many magazines especailly in this industry have a high percentage of cross over...

Right now I don't advertise my blacklight mini golf with ANY amusement magazine because I don't find their magazines to be useful to my business because of the content they provide and or they charge to much like $2k for an ad. I look over all the amusement magazines and ask myself do I find this interesting to read is it providing me what I would look for if I owned an amusement park or some sort of family fun center. If I think it does I'll place some ads with that magazine... if not I won't.

I've been told several times by the biggest laser tag company in America that those amusement magazine don't work because no one reads them, and the way to go is mass email, or simply direct marketing.

Everything is changing and I know that... this is why I wouldn't do feature articles on vendors business because me personal I would never read one. I've seen them in other magazines and have NEVER read one and probably never would. This is a very small industry, but new buyers come on board every single year and some have tens of thousands of dollars to spend, and many believe it or not NEVER attend the tradeshow.

I estimate that at least 50% of every single haunt that opened this year did NOT attend the haunt show. I don't know why... maybe they didn't know about it, maybe they didn't feel the need to come, heck I know some major haunts who didn't attend, again don't know why.

Future marketing for any vendor will boil down to who can bring them new eyeballs, be it google ads, tradeshows, magazines, direct mail, who knows. Vendors have very limited marketing dollars and they should spend them very carefully!

But my focus is strickly on the owners and operators of halloween attractions and any and all articles must have something to do with owning and operating haunted houses because I feel that helps vendors more than doing featured stories on them.

Just two different takes on it... I might be wrong, I might be right, but since we really don't do the magazine for money we'll just stay on course of trying to advance the owner operator side of things with articles that help haunt owners and operators make their business stronger.

Larry

mindtumor
11-10-2009, 08:04 AM
My suggestion is pick two haunts you have never covered and possibly not that well known. Pick two haunts that have never even made it on the top whatever lists. Also please pick two haunts that are NOT in Michigan. I like to travel to haunts outside of the state and sometimes I learn about these haunts through the magazines.

Nightmare_Trance
11-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Piggy-backing off of Mindtumor's idea, why not pick one of the few you said you spoke to this year that had up numbers and get their take on the year. What they did that worked in a down economy.

TerrorNightMare14
11-10-2009, 11:24 PM
I agree with MindTumor's idea as well . I nominate Nightshade Manor and Trail of Terror in Wallingford , CT.

the ogre
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
just saying but there are other haunts in pa other that bates motel and eastern state. Maybe cover some of the 11 others that are part of 13 haunts?

Haunts of Richmond
11-11-2009, 04:11 PM
At the risk of appearing immodest I have to suggest (cause few other haunters get to venture off the beaten path during season) our attraction, DarkWood Manor (http://www.darkwoodmanor.net/). We have built a first class attraction over the course of the last nine years. Which hasnít been easy being in a rural location, but DarkWood is one of a handful of attractions that is transforming VA into a haunter state.

Yes... Virginia needs all the help we can get promoting our haunts. Darkwood is an amazingly detailed haunt. Time to spread the word!

Blood Lake, Wicked Woods, and Darkwood came up with a simple flyer campaign this season to help promote Virginia haunts:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3433/newcrossflyersmall.jpg

I also created this shirt through the Virginia Tourism Corporation that we sold at our box office (still some more for sale, too!):

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1559/haunters3.jpg

gadget-evilusions
11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
just saying but there are other haunts in pa other that bates motel and eastern state. Maybe cover some of the 11 others that are part of 13 haunts?

I would like to see a feature on some of the western pa haunts also. Hundred acres manor, Scarehouse, Castle Blood, etc.

Killer Katie
11-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Larry - sent you a pm about articles. Also would you be interested in a Cast managment-type article. What to look for when hiring, how to deal with staff/actors? I'd be up for that too!

Don_OfThe_Dead
11-25-2009, 02:22 AM

Lewis is right, Darkwood Manor would fit both profiles as not only an awesome haunt to review (who else is able to pull off an HP Lovecraft homage?) but also amazing/authentic costumes and masks.

Go ahead an toot your own horn there sir, we need more of that. Virginia isn't going to be satisfied by farm haunts anymore-we have Kings Dominion FearFest and Busch Garden's Howl-o-Scream and still the people are asking for more!

Our people had an awesome time coming through, and more than a few were pestering about why we couldn't do some of the stuff you did. So keep up the quality because it's making us work harder to catch up!

lurker
11-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Don,
You guys don't have far to go to catch up. You have great actor strength, and that is really KEY! Next year I'm bringing down more of my actors to check you guys out!