PDA

View Full Version : Our first insurance claim - any advice from those who have been there?

bhays
11-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Well, after nine season, we have our first insurance claim. No actors near the guy, he simply tried to run to catch up with his girlfriend in the group ahead in our outdoor scene when it had been raining (as it did every darn night this season) and fell. One of our actors helped him up and he went out by the ticket booth and waited for the rest of the group to finish. No ambulance, etc.

He has had an MRI and may require ACL surgery...

I of course provided my insurance with an incident report and statement from the one actor who saw it happen.

Should I expect my rates to go through the roof next season? We have been with the same carrier for nine years and this is our first claim ever.

Who has been down this road? Any advice or war stories?

Terrorknight
11-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Really depends on your carrier. We have little things here and there and most times it's the same type of thing, someone doing something they were told not to do. If he has insurance they should pick up most of it and yours would just cover the rest. With us sometimes it goes up $50 it's not to bad others not at all. But it's always better to let them handle it fully.

drfrightner
11-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Are you sure he was hurt at your place? Did he ask to fill out a report while he was there... did he walk away fine?

Did he already hire an attorney?

Larry

bhays
11-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Are you sure he was hurt at your place? Did he ask to fill out a report while he was there... did he walk away fine?

Did he already hire an attorney?

Larry

My actor saw him fall, then helped him up. He claimed his knee was hurting. He did not ask to fill out a report or say anything to anyone other than that. I am an Attorney in my day job so I keep a stack of my cards at the ticket booth. If someone comes up claiming to be injured or wanting to complain they give them a card and instruct them to call my office on Monday.

He never did that. He showed up about 30 minutes before opening on the following Saturday (this happened on a Friday) and asked to see someone in charge. That's the first time we knew he had any sort of injury. I stayed in phone contact with him until he mentioned he had been sent for an MRI, then I turned it over to my insurance rep.

No attorney yet to my knowledge.

WelchWitch
11-13-2009, 08:14 AM
I know this question will be extreme, but I wonder if there is a way to see how old the injury is?

You never know. Old injury new claim. Nothing like getting someone else to pay for it. I am always looking for the negative on stuff like this. Sorry.

bhays
11-13-2009, 08:42 AM
No, I agree. I would surely assume our carrier will request medical records on him and if there are pre-existing injuries that would be a mitigator. The fact that he took off running is also a mitigator... wait and see I suppose. I just hope it doesn't blow next year's premium out of the water <eek>

WelchWitch
11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Also to the fact he didn't want a doctor. I would think ACL would hurt enough to want to sit down, scream, cry or something. Or maybe I watch too much football.