PDA

View Full Version : I've Been Violated!

Empressnightshade
02-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I stepped outside and looked at my car today to see something that I couldn't believe.....

Somone had stolen my car magnets from both sides of my car! These large, red magnets advertised our haunt's name and website and have been there attached to my car since June 2006.
It is beyond me why someone would do this! I mean, they obviously can't use them.

I feel so totally violated!!

It is only the words of Frederick Douglas (February is Black History Month!) that makes me feel any better. He said, "If there is no struggle, there is no progress." So, was this violation meant to move me in a different direction of car advertisement? Maybe I'll get one of those windsocks that you attached to your window and cannot be so quickly removed.

I know some of your haunts have been violated in one way or another. Share your experience. Did you see your "struggle" turn into progression as Mr. Douglas suggested?

Nightgore
02-05-2007, 10:58 AM
A haunt here actually had there logo painted onto the van... so maybe you could do the same with your car? Or if you happen to find the magnets, Gorillia Glue them on! That's if you DON'T want them to come off again! LOL!...

Sorry to here about your misfurtone Gwen, but you know that things happen for a reason. Maybe this is the push in the right direction for you. Maybe you should get your logo painted onto your car! Maybe? -Tyler

steve
02-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Our are on the hearse via vinyl stickers.... Which, in the end, probably would have been cheaper anyway I believe?

Jonathan
02-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Try Car Bandaids.

The best I have seen on them is from Bad Boys. The ones on their van rocks.

http://www.terroronthefox.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=13

Empressnightshade
02-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Try Car Bandaids.

The best I have seen on them is from Bad Boys. The ones on their van rocks.

http://www.terroronthefox.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=13
Remember you are talking to a poor nonprofit, J. And the car isn't the organization's. It's mine.

Jim Warfield
02-05-2007, 01:07 PM
At one time to own a pick up truck in Illinois , even if you had no business, just a private owner of the truck, you had to have your name painted on both doors and the empty weight of the truck.
When the magnetic signs came out people thought this eliminated having to contact a person who was gifted with a paint brush but as everyone parked their trucks at the truck stop everyone began swapping the magnetic signs for a practicle joke, or simply reapplying them upside down.
I would almost bet your signs are still traveling around the streets on some machine.

dr0zombie
02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Look at it this way ... somewhere you have a HUGE fan.... if you are lucky s/he parties A LOT and has tons of friends over who all admire the new acquired art. Causing people to flock to your event in the fall....

SpFXChic
02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Empress, that's awful! I'm sorry to hear that!

A few years back we made window clings that stuck to the inside of car windows. You had to do the layout backward, so that they would display properly, but they were pretty cool. They did fade after several months, though.

I don't know if you have them out there, but there are kiosks in some of the malls here that make car decals. Maybe you could have one made to go across the top of your windsheild or rear window? I'm not sure what something like that would cost.

Hell American Freak
02-05-2007, 02:08 PM
We use Vinyl on our vehicles, that's the way to go. Most vinyl lasts about 7 to 8 years and looks just as good as paint, it's cheaper and comes off with a hair dryer if needed.

Empressnightshade
02-05-2007, 02:38 PM
At first I thought it was children who had done this until I got in my car to run an errand and realized they had opened my door and took my son's handicapped placard, as well!! Now, I KNOW it wasn't kids because they wouldn't give a second thought about stealing a handicapped placard to use for themselves.

Yes, my car was unlocked. It was unlocked because it sits in a fairly large driveway that is pretty secluded and sits behind very large iron gates. I've been here almost six years without incident. No more.....

Kevin Dells
02-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Look at it this way ... somewhere you have a HUGE fan.... if you are lucky s/he parties A LOT and has tons of friends over who all admire the new acquired art. Causing people to flock to your event in the fall....
Empress i was going to say the same thing as Zombie here.
Some kid has them proudly displayed on his bedroom wall right next to the Lindasy Lohan posters and stolen street signs!
As far as a solution you could always tatoo your haunt on your backside and hang your butt out the window during parades, the crowd will love it i promise!

Sorry for your problem!

Raycliff Manor
02-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Sorry to hear about this Gwendolyn! I know how frustrating it can be. The year before last, at the end of the season, we had our attraction broken into and we had thousands of dollars worth of tools, equipment, etc. stolen. It really makes you paranoid. Somehow, things always seem to work out. Hang in there!

Kel

Kevin Dells
02-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Sounds like we all need to take a little lesson from our freind Jigsaw and set traps for people!

:: You can't steal my props because you have no arms left!::

Hell American Freak
02-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Free props that way too... Kill two birds with one stone, protect your inventory and increase it at the same time...

SomeThingInTheIce
02-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Sorry to hear that, the only thing you can do with magnets to keep people from takening them is put them in the car when you park.

Empressnightshade
02-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Well,

I wasn't going to be completely outdone, so I took my Autistic son, loaded him in the car and we headed to DMV where we spent an hour or so trying to get a replacement handicapped placard. We did. Tomorrow, I'm going to nail down a place to take care of our stolen magnets situation.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Jim Warfield
02-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I found an old kit that had a black decal that runs across the top 4? inches of the windshield then a bunch of white alphabet letters to spell your message across the black backround. it all only was maybe $6.00?

Empressnightshade
02-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I found an old kit that had a black decal that runs across the top 4? inches of the windshield then a bunch of white alphabet letters to spell your message across the black backround. it all only was maybe $6.00?
Jim, where did this kit come from?

Jim Warfield
02-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Auto Zone auto parts store in Freeport, Ill.

Empressnightshade
02-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Really? I'm on it!

Hell American Freak
02-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Maybe you should write your name on some big plastic cow balls and hang them from your truck!!! :P

Jim Warfield
02-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Seeing an obviously female name on those cow balls might scare away alot of male customers? Or at least make them have second thoughts.

Empressnightshade
02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Ummm....

Can we stick to the more doable comments, please? Thanks.

I checked Autozone and they do have lettering kits. But, I'd rather not purchase something without seeing it first. (They had the letters all rolled up in a containter.) So, I gave the nearest store a call....didn't have 'em. I think I'd rather pay a few more bucks and let someone customize something for me than to go on a wild goose chase. Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. :)

Jim Warfield
02-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Just make sure they don't "Customize" too much like an ex of mine did. She began making up new letters that were not in the alphabet on a roadside sign advertising our place, I had to put the actual letters on the sign, she got mad.??

Empressnightshade
02-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Just make sure they don't "Customize" too much like an ex of mine did. She began making up new letters that were not in the alphabet on a roadside sign advertising our place, I had to put the actual letters on the sign, she got mad.??LOL! I promise, Jim. :lol:

xxxdirk
02-05-2007, 10:10 PM
aww, by the title of this topic I thought you were one of the members of the Chigago Bears. lol, Sorry guys, but as a Packer fan, I could not resist!

MMManiac
02-05-2007, 11:25 PM
I heard a story once about a haunt located near me that got broken into, but instead of stealing anything they placed adult toys on al the animatronics so the next night when they were turned and started to thrust back and forth... well you get the picture... Luckly this was just a prank and not some nasy people trying to ruin what were doing. Hopefully you get your signs back!

Sean

The Ghoulish Gallery
02-06-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that someone has done this to you Magnets are one things but stealing the handicap placard is just bottom feeding. What, they can't figure out the person to whom that placard was issued might have a legitimate need for it? People like this have no soul!

Right after Halloween in '05, my mom had a stroke. After taking her to the hospital, I went by her home to pick up some clothes for her. Her purse was in my car because I didn't want to leave it in the hospital. I was in the house for maybe five minutes but some low life was still able to get in the car and steal the purse. The neighbors found her checks and other stuff in their bushes a few days later. It took about six months to clear up the identity theft stuff that followed.

Sadly, people like this have virtually no redeeming quality other than the fact they are biodegradable.

My heart goes out to you.

Tim @ The Ghoulish Gallery

Greg Chrise
02-06-2007, 11:23 PM
I would take full advantage of the AutoZone return policy. Go by the thing, take it outside, unroll it and open the little can. If it sucks, go back in with your reciept and say" I wan my moneyback" You have to say it with a jordanian accent.

A pro lettering job is going to be a bit pricy like $150 and up for this stupid computer spitty outty graphic sticky ony thing that some dude has to stick on. Unless you can actually get your graphics on there and the same lettering as the graphics reasonably.

But, do that thing at Autozone just for an afternoon's entertainment anyhow. Then they will put it in a bucket and send it back to a regional warehouse and make a manufacturer come get it and replace it. Then a new on will come to your store and you could tear that one up too and get your money back.

In the back their little machines will be logging customer counts and ticket averages and be all lookin like somethings happening.

Be sure to use the bathroom with every visit too and keep them advised of the cleanliness.

If none of this is up to par I will find the 1-800 number for you.

Greg Chrise
02-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Oh, yeah. be sure to pay cash.

Jim Warfield
02-07-2007, 04:29 AM
I went out a few times with a woman who called herself "A Mafia Princess".
Her Daddy was politically connected, she had a handicapped placard for her trips to Wal-Mart so she could park closer.
Didn't impress or entertain me, I felt "criminal" just getting out of her car, made want to fake a limp or something?
She and I were not out too many times...for a few good reasons.
That "Royalty" thing always bothered me. (Since I am a base-born lowly fool!!!)

ScarlettP
02-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Emp. That's pretty low.

I used to be 'nice' about not locking my car in my own driveway when we lived at the house that became our Haunt. Heck, my cars are so old and ugly, no one would want to steal them, so I never worried... but I was always one of those people that would toss the change from drive-thrus or whatever in the box by the gear shifter. After a while, I noticed that all my change kept 'dissappearing'. I yelled at my husband and son for taking it, only to find out that I was the unknowing 'sponcer' for some shiftless bums who walked down the street. So I locked the doors. The damn bums keyed the car!

Jim Warfield
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Wrong, Scalett, of the four cars stolen around here in the last 40 years three of them were old rusty faded clunkers.
Two years ago someone stole an absolutely "Ancient" Chevy pick-up, last seen driving away without paying from a gas pump in extreme southern Illinois!
I don't think anybody would have guessed that that truck could have gone that far from looking at it! (Like an 8 hour drive!)

Kevin Dells
02-07-2007, 09:17 PM
When i was a teen my roomate had an old Nova that you could start without a key, just turn the ingition and it would fire right up.

One night while fast asleep i hear the loud muffler of Al's nova. I look out the window and their goes Al's Nova!

Kevin Dells
02-07-2007, 09:18 PM
When i was a teenager my roomate had an old Nova that you could start without a key, just turn the ingition and it would fire right up.

One night while fast asleep i hear the loud muffler of Al's nova. I look out the window and their goes Al's Nova!

Empressnightshade
02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Everyone....

I Have GREAT news! I am pleased to announce that there has been a bright spot that has brought this darkness to light.

I received a call from someone I have never conversed with before. He said he had read this thread about my plight and wanted to correct the wrong that was done to us. Out of the kindness of his heart, he donated $100 to replace what was taken!! Let me tell you, there is nothing "Ghoulish" about this guy. :wink: Guessed who it is?

THANK YOU, TIM TURNER!!!!

Not only have you solved our financial problem of finding a professional and secure way to advertise via automobile, but you have restored my faith in man.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts! Oh and my 15yr old told me to tell you "Thank you" as well. And he means it! :D