PDA

View Full Version : Needs a 6 ft x 6 ft clear cube!

TrueDungeon
12-16-2009, 03:27 PM
I need to build a 6 ft x 6 ft x 6ft semi-transparent cube that I can move down a hallway. It is supposed to be a giant mound of jello attacking the people. It does not have to be a perfect cube -- in fact one with rounded edges would be better.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to build one? I was thinking of getting some thick clear plastic and just "welding" the seams together to make a cube -- and then have a small hose connector out the back so I could run a black hose to the cube. I would use positive pressure to keep the thing inflated.

Does anyone have any ideas about materials and methods to make this Cube?

Thanks!

Allen H
12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Any inflatable manufacturer can make this for you, but If you want to make it yourself then I would use clear vinyl. I think at the fabric store you can find it 54 inches wide. They use it to cover tables in restaurants. I would sew the cube together ( as well as glue/weld) and then glue in an inflatable valve. (Like from a pool toy). Then it is like a giant sturdy balloon. I dont know why that would not work. This is my way of doing it Im sure there are other opinions.
If you need more help pm me.
Allen H

SomeThingInTheIce
12-16-2009, 04:23 PM
I have to ask, Who came up wuth the idea of a giant jello monster?

Front Yard Fright
12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
I say you just make it out of Jello.
Yummy.
:P.

soultrkr
12-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Balistic's gel?

evilmanor
12-16-2009, 07:49 PM
You might post your question over on The Bubble (http://www.akairways.com/phpBB2/), it's a forum for making inflatable art.

Allen H
12-16-2009, 08:37 PM
I made a really cool blob monster once with a giant silk bag and a leaf blower, it undulated perfectly. I put it in a strobe room and it got good reactions.
Allen H

Evilution Unlimited
12-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Jello used for commercials is made of real jello with 2-4X the amount of powder per water ratio. It will NOT melt! Go for the real thing.

TrueDungeon
12-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the input all.

The monster is an old Dungeons and Dragons creature that we have to recreate. Long story!

gadget-evilusions
12-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Which monster? I would like to look it up in my monster manuals.

Allen H
12-21-2009, 11:59 AM
I recall it being called a gelatinous cube. I think you could see old armor and undigested stuff suspended in it.

TrueDungeon
12-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Ding! Ding!

The plan is to suspend gold coins, a dagger and some other junk from fishing line inside it...if possible.

I think I am just going to try to make a clear cube out of clear vinyl and use positive pressure to keep it inflated.

Any ideas on how to best weld the seams?

evilmanor
12-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Clothes iron?

damon carson
01-14-2010, 02:36 PM
I would buy about fifty boxes of that real water gel. Or whatever they call it. Pour it in a large container then cut it and shape it. You could dye it anycolor you want. This stuff gets solid and still is like rubbery.? Sounds like a big undertaking. Good luck!
Damon