PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on how to thin latex?

Dr Spooktakular
01-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Is there anything you can add to latex to thin it out, make it a little more watery? Any suggestion is welcome! Thanks!

Allen H
01-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Ammonia is the industry standard to thin latex. Its also dirt cheap BONUS!
Allen H

PAT MATTHEWS/HOUSE OF WAX
01-01-2010, 11:49 AM
good old fashioned water will do the trick. A little dab will do ya

01-01-2010, 11:51 AM
No Scott dont go start peeing in your latex ( lol )

MindWerxKMG
01-01-2010, 11:55 AM
You can also purchase dipping/balloon latex which is much thinner in consistency than standard latex.

maliciousstudios
01-02-2010, 11:17 AM
If you do choose to use water to thin the latex.... ( If your using allot ) use some sort of strainer to take out chunks.... when you add
water to say 8 oz. of latex to thin it to a watery consistancy it will foam a little as you mix it... so, strain the chunks out with a cheap plastic strainer or simply reach in and pull the gunk out...

( Also ) nice tip : if youd like to brush latex on.... use a dab of dish soap.... ( It will keep it from sticking ! )

( FREE ) Tip # 2 : If it gets all over your arm hands and etc. ~ dont peel it off....use dish soap and wash it out...lmfao ALLOT LESS TIME AND PAIN....lol.... ( Unless of course your into that sort of thing )

;)

Just my .02

Fright Theatre
01-02-2010, 11:36 AM
If you opt for the water method, use distilled water. Tap water and bottled drinking water can contain minerals that make latex curd (kind of like a cottage cheese consistency).

Steve

Gore Galore
01-02-2010, 02:04 PM
And do yourself a favor. don't wash latex off in the sink. It can clog your pipes, and so can plaster.

maliciousstudios
01-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I use Distilled now a days.... but if you opt to use the tap water plan on using the strainer.... you will have little bit of chunky crap at the top and stuck to the sides pour the latex into another container though the strainer and youll be fine...

Yeah.... latex in the pipes....lol, wow.... I remember back when I didnt think of that LMFAO 5-6 years ago I decided to wash the rest of the latex down the sink.... WOW....

( Dont do that )

LMFAO :)

Allen H
01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Im sure alot of us on here have a few security deposits we wont get back.

01-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Try spilling a gallon of melted wax all over the kitchen of an apartment. errr I didnt do that. Lucky thing we were buying a new house shortly after. (Yes i did clean it up)

Dr Spooktakular
01-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have 60 or so of Fright Theaters skulls that I'll be attaching to walls and I have latex, but I wanted to stretch it out a little further, plus keep it thin enough to keep the details of the skulls in tact for detailing later.