PDA

View Full Version : New Forums are coming soon...

drfrightner
01-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Check out this link... we're almost there.

Couple things we are re-doing EVERYTHING we have from the Haunted House Magazine site, to Hauntworld.com, to new sites we are starting like www.HauntedHayrides.com and much more.

We are going to make everything first class and from there develop the sites with very rich content for our industry.

http://74.113.33.227/hwf

Let me know what you think. Larry

Nightgore
01-11-2010, 06:03 AM
I don't like it... you'll be taking the entire forum and sizing it into the middle black area. Also, I don't like the ads on the forum now... adding another side banner will just be annoying!

Why not just leave the forums how they are? They are perfect now! -Tyler

Darkangel
01-11-2010, 06:43 AM
I agree, leave the forums as they are now they work just fine why change them if they are ok just change the other aspects of your sites and the new logo is great!

DA

Allen H
01-11-2010, 01:11 PM
The forums are pretty perfect now in my opinion also.
The add at the top is fine in my opinion, but I would not like to see more. This is the best haunt forum online and I would hate to see it change for the worse.
Allen H

damon carson
01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
I hate to say it to. Dont fix it if its not broke.
Damon

Haunted Illinois
01-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I also vote against the new format for the forum. While it will provide for more ad space for Hauntworld.com to profit from, it will severely limit space for the forum content itself. Just like your main page, it's just WAY too much ancillary crap, leaving little room for valuable content. Just my two cents.

drfrightner
01-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Most forums I see now are like this but I think its more organized!

Remember all the web banners we'll upload with be HAUNT RELATED not ads for Kentucky Fried Chicken... we're not SELLING those ads they are FREE for vendors who support the magazines. If some vendor called two weeks from now and asked to buy a banner we wouldn't sell one, they are not for sale they are a means to help promote our vendors.

We do NOT sell banners ads on the forums! However remember when someone like Ghost Ride sends us a new banner that says 25% off sale, you'll jump on that and say thanks for the heads up. And that is what we want to encourage our vendors to do... change their banners to reflect what they are doing now! Ads in the magazine are the same thing as content... I have been encouraging ALL THE VENDORS to stop doing overly creative ads and simply showcase the products they want to sell.

Larry

Nightgore
01-11-2010, 11:01 PM
So... we're getting new forums no matter what!? FML. -Tyler

mindtumor
01-12-2010, 06:18 AM
Nightgore
What does FML mean?

Larry,
I frequent a lot of other message boards and they don't look like that. Not arguing or being negative just saying the boards I go to aren't like what you are saying.

evilmanor
01-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Will the layout be fixed width as in the example or will it expand to the width of the screen like the current theme?

Kelly Anderson
01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I agree as well Larry.

I too have seen many other sites as your describing but the way you have this forum set up as it is, is much nicer. I like how the forum page uses the intire screen vs condensing it down to add additional advertising on the sides.

The banners on top are fine and I like the banners attached to some of the members posts. You could ad banners to the bottom of the screen for that matter.

Just because other forums are layed out differently dont mean you should follow sute. Just by reading these posts gives me an idea that people like this forum best for a reason, and is probably why they are still using it.

I would consider a different format or just leave it as is.

Darkangel
01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
You should put it to vote Larry, to see what everyone wants it sounds like everyone is happy with the boards now. Changes are not always good. Haunted Attraction's board looks great but it's so slow, takes forever to click through...You want to keep it fast like now and easy to access info.

Let's see a vote!

DA

Jolly Pumpkin
01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I like the way the current message board is, but the graphics could look better and the layout could be less cluttered. Either way I think the new board will turn out fine. As for the homepage I would get rid of the blog and just have a large link to it instead of making the homepage a thousand miles long. The blog is just making the homepage look unprofessional in my opinion. The new header design is great though.

brad
01-12-2010, 03:39 PM
The forums are pretty perfect now in my opinion also.
The add at the top is fine in my opinion, but I would not like to see more. This is the best haunt forum online and I would hate to see it change for the worse.
Allen H

Allen took the words right out of my mounth.

Maybe at most, change the color scheme to match the main page, but thats it.

Everyone is used to these forums as they are now, and as far as I know, everyone likes them.

PLease dont change it up.

TheNightMare
01-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Nightgore
What does FML mean?

FML equals Fuck My Life

Also the new boards look cluttered and nasty!

lonewolfmage
01-13-2010, 03:20 AM
Greetings~

Just took a look at the new layout.. and even as much of a "nobody" that I am here.. I do have to concur with the majority here that have responded ..

I looks TOO cluttered .... Ads yes are one thing ,,,, but to in a way condense what people are looking for and hit them with a bunch of ads .. sucks ..

Besides .. many people that MIGHT be "computer savvy" know how to "block" the ads, especially if they "get in the way", which would defeat the purpose of them any way.

I also agree keep the color scheme you planned, to match the main page, but leave the forums as a FULL PAGE to maximize content and also for ease of reading.

If you want ads, fine put them at the top and/or bottom, but don't sacrifice "real estate" for them.

There is only one or two forums that I frequent ( out of at least a dozen on a daily basis) that has done what you are planning and their attendance and frequency of post has dropped DRAMATICALLY since the upgrade. And I'm guessing mostly because of the amount of ads they have put on the site.

Just a "nobody's" Humble opinion.
LoneWolf
(Jeff)

Nightgore
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Well, clutter is something HW.com is great at... I to have seen forums change to this "style" and can also attest to the drastic drop in post and post quality. I love hauntworld but the HAM forums are starting to look better more and more! -Tyler

Allen H
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
The HAM forums are terrible, very slow board, and you cant hit enter in your post. Im afraid If this board goes south someone will have to step up. But Ham will have an opportunity to do that if they fix a few things. I also hate how small the posting area is. Perhaps Larry will be magnanimous and only change the color scheme. Time will tell.

Nightgore
01-13-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't have any problems with HAM's board... very fast and I CAN hit enter! hahahaha... IDK, hopefully John can fix it! -Tyler

scubadog
01-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I have to agree Larry, please don't change them. People are creatures of habit and don't like change.:wink:

drfrightner
02-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Well we are changing them for sure its how we do it is the question...

What do you think of this version?

http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_house_forums/?styleid=5

Is this better?

Larry

Allen H
02-01-2010, 11:06 PM
It is different, I dont think its better than what we have now, just different. It is better than the last different one you posted though.
Allen H

mindtumor
02-02-2010, 07:37 AM
They both seem really squished together. What exactly is it about the current forums that has you wanting to go to such a condensed format?

Jolly Pumpkin
02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
The new Fright Forum looks a lot better. It has a better design, looks more professional and is less crowded. I have no clue why people like the old forum over the new one. The new forum should be themed like the website is and that's what you have done. So I'm 100% for the new forum.

IHAUNT
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I like the current forums better but at least there are no ads on the side of the 2nd new design...however I would vote to keep them as they are now.

Tom

www.HauntedOverload.com

beardedbil
02-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Will the "New" link return to these forums? It was so nice and easy just to click on "New" and see everything that was a new post or reply since I have last checked instead of going to each individual section... Thanks!

Kelly Anderson
02-02-2010, 04:40 PM
If you HAVE to change the forum look, I like this proposed design. The graffics are definately up to speed which I really like and you must like that as well. But the key thing is for the users, its still very functional and NOT cluttered with other adds!!! Looks good!

N2SPOOKINU
02-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I like the new one larry. It looks good to me.
Greg
Fearfest