PDA

View Full Version : No TransWorld, but maybe HC or MHC

Haunting Copy
01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Just wanted to drop in and say "I'm not dead"!

I won't be able to attend TW this year, because it's the busiest time of year at my job. Too bad, too, 'cause I was so looking forward to Shane's party. :P

Anyone with experience care to share their thoughts on HauntCon and MHC? Fun, productive, memorable?

Hugs!
Sarah

Nightgore
01-20-2010, 10:56 PM
MHC is always awesome... best seminar series around!

Hauntcon... eh, don't get me started.

We'll be going back to MHC this year and I'll be attending (or will try too) NHC. So, it's going to be a fun year!

Sucks to hear you won't be at TW... I'll get pics for you! -Tyler

Haunting Copy
01-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I'll be thinking about y'all while you're in St. Louis. On the other hand, it's a good thing to see more than one tradeshow/convention. Just wish I could do them all! :D

Haunted Illinois
01-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Sarah, sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it to Transworld. :(

As for the other shows, I haven't been to HauntCon, but I have been to MHC and I highly recommend it! The pre-show haunt tours are great, along with the trade show floor, seminars and other activities. The masquerade ball is amazing, too!

To give you an idea of what MHC is like, check out the review I posted of the show last year: http://www.hauntedillinois.com/2009midwesthauntersconvention.php

xxxdirk
01-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Been to all three but dont think I am going to hauntcon this year. IDK, what REALLY bothers me about hauntcon is how they take FOREVER to announce what the tours are, and what celebs they are going to have. HC is THE most expensive to attend, so if I am going to drop $1500 or so to attend, I want to make my plans far in advance....Here it is, 4 months out and all we know about hauntcon is the location, and the fact that they will have a tradeshow, a costume ball, some "celebs" and some tours
MHC is a GREAT convention, always very professionally done. Great activities, more seminars than you could ever try to make, tours, and good tradeshow.
TW is the big buying show. I wish they would have different haunt tours to visit. Larry has a great haunt and Fearfest is also cool, but come on St Louis and MO. REPRESENT! LOL. You guys must have more haunts than those two? Anyways, I am hoping they move to a different city in 2011...like back to Chicago...

BruiseMuse
01-21-2010, 07:19 PM
MHC is a great show! You can't beat the cost, the education is top notch, and there is a great buyer floor. Plus it seems to be the most social of shows.

Haunting Copy
01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Thank you so much for all the good info!

Sounds like MHC is where I'm going to go. Any advice y'all can throw out there would be great. For example, is the Hyatt worth it, or would it be better to look for cheaper accommodations? Stuff like that. (I'm already excited!)

Adam, I'm sending you a PM.

BruiseMuse
01-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I think the hyatt is worth the cost since you are connected to the convention center and they are incredibly hospitable (they've even provided makeup remover wipes in the past).

Haunting Copy
01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I think the hyatt is worth the cost since you are connected to the convention center and they are incredibly hospitable (they've even provided makeup remover wipes in the past).

And I might be able to avoid renting a car. Save some bucks!

Do you happen to know whether the Hyatt or the airport provides shuttle service?

DedGurl
01-22-2010, 06:52 AM
As far as I know there is no "free" service from the airport to the hotel. The hotel can arrange a shuttle to pick you up at a certain time, but I've tried that and it actually was less effective than just hopping in one of the thousands of cabs outside of the airport. I also found there was very little cost difference in taking a cab vs. a shuttle. I want to say it is somewhere around $15 one way via cab.

Barry
01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I want to thank all of you for the kind words! You all are the best advertisement we could have. :D

To answer a few questions:

The class schedule will be listed soon. I am waiting for a few last descriptions/bios. The bus tours are almost finalized too!

The Hyatt is definitely the place to stay. There is not much cheaper available downtown. As was already mentioned, the staff at the Hyatt loves our group and bends over backwards for all of us. The biggest benefit is that the Hyat is attached to the convention center and hosts our party so everything is right there. However, if anyone wants to stay off-site please contact me first and I can tell you where in Columbus not to stay.

There is not a shuttle from the airport but, as was mentioned, it is only about $15 to catch a cab downtown. Many people make arrangements to carpool especially on the way home.

Feel free to email or call me with any questions!

Barry
614-361-1466

xxxdirk
01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
You guys put on a great show. You deserve all the positive feedback. ENJOY!

Darkblood
01-22-2010, 06:37 PM
MHC is a MUST ATTEND for me! This will be the third year and I can't wait to see Dead Acres Friday night!
It's a blast!

Kirk

Killer Katie
01-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm able to only go to one convention this year, and MHC is my choice.
They seem to really have a finger on the um... pulse..... of the haunt industry. And as stated before, is the MOST social and gives a chance for the buyers types and the haunters at heart to hang out and get to know each other.
Bring an extra liver though, because there is ALOT of drinking (which I will totally miss partaking in this year..LOL)

Haunting Copy
01-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Katie, like the new pic! (New to me, anyway.) :) I won't be drinking, either, so you and I can sober it up together if ya want.

Two more questions . . .

Barry, if you're reading this, do you have a ballpark idea of how much the tickets for the pre-convention bus tours are going to be - and what it will include (entry fees into the various destinations, for instance)?

Is this show family-friendly? I have two (well-behaved) daughters, ages 16 and 13, and I'm trying to "bring them into the fold," LOL. I think they would get a thrill from this. But I definitely don't want to step on toes if bringing kids is looked down on. (And I can certainly understand why!)

Killer Katie
01-23-2010, 08:04 AM
I can say on the kid front, that the convention is kid friendly. Seminars are as well. The only thing that may be weird is the party sat nite. The bodypainting part has partially nude models, though mostly female - a few dudes trickle in the mix. Pasties and at least g-strings. I think that would be the only "not for kids" thing. But you're kids are older, so as long as you have a heads up, I don't think it would be a bad idea. And it would be a perfect introduction into the "biz."
And will totally hang sober with you! ;)

Darkangel
01-23-2010, 08:12 AM
I've seen the people who wear the pasties and g-strings at haunt shows and unfortunately they're not usually the type who should be wearing things like that anyway! That's what scares me and my kids! lol j/k

DA

BruiseMuse
01-23-2010, 08:57 AM
MHC is very family friendly, and as Katie said the Ball may be the only issue. I think in the past the Ball has been 18 and over due to the nudity of the bodypaint show.

Barry
01-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Sarah,

The two day bus tour will probably come in around $200-250. We are still finalizing the details since we had a planned haunt drop out of the mix. :(

The Friday tour is tentatively priced at only $49 for 3 haunts and a bus ride!

More details coming soon. :)

As for kid's, Katie summed it up very well. Kid's are welcome with the proper advisories (like the party). The official MHC position is:

Seminars - Children 13 and older must register for the seminars if they will be attending. Ages 6-12 may attend with a registered adult providing they are not a disruption to the class.

Bus Tours - Children must be registered for the tours in order to ride the buses.

Friday party - This event occurs in a night club which is 21 and over.

Saturday Party - not advised for children under 13 because of adult content. However we leave this up to the parent's discretion. Anyone attending is required to have a wristband.

Tradeshow - New for this year - Children under 13 MUST be accompanied by an adult while on the tradeshow floor.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Barry

Barry
01-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Sarah, this thread did give me another idea. I am going to post a FAQ page on the website. Thanks!

xxxdirk
01-23-2010, 10:39 AM
LOL, as far as the people wearing the pasties and g strings at MHC, these girls ARE the kind that can wear these things... Anyone that does NOT have a smokin body would feel ashamed standing anywhere next to these gals!

Killer Katie
01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree! My model is my best friend, and she's hot! LOL (I hate her... lmao)

Haunting Copy
01-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks again for all the suggestions/info. It's not likely that I'll take the girls, but it's good to know what we can expect.

And now for a costume . . . :)

graystone
01-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Sorry to hear ya not going to be able to make it to TransWorld! Shane and its you will be missed! Shane this time!

Darkangel
01-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Dirk,

Sounds like it's time for a visit to the optometrist for you...unless your idea of smoking hot is homely chicks with junk in the trunk!! The Megan Fox's of the world can wear those things not the Carnie Wilsons... Not that all women there are unattractive, but many hot chicks wouldn't wear that whereas Transworlds boob lady will...with no shame.

DA

xxxdirk
01-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Wooooah, I guyess I am totally confused. The girls that were professionally painted that were in the competition are the gals I was talking about. Now, I may be older, but they all looked pretty fit to me.....

Haunting Copy
01-24-2010, 01:46 AM
The ladies I saw in the photos from the MHC 2009 were extremely, uh, well-appointed and make me want to go on a diet every time I see them. They were not the same people who were at TW 2009.

Shane, you know what the answer to this problem is, don't you? You should go to MHC, as well as TW!

Barry
01-24-2010, 05:16 AM
I think Shane is avoiding me. :( He keeps threatening to come to MHC but never does. Then, at Transworld, every time I asked someone about him, he had just left the area where I was. LOL

So what's up Shane?? :p

Haunting Copy
01-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Shane's tricky that way. After reading all his posts, I thought I'd find a real jabberjaw when I met him. But no, in person he's all quiet and sits in the corner, watching. Probably gathering ammunition for another year of posts!

Love ya, Shane! :*

Haunting Copy
01-24-2010, 06:45 AM
LOL, as far as the people wearing the pasties and g strings at MHC, these girls ARE the kind that can wear these things... Anyone that does NOT have a smokin body would feel ashamed standing anywhere next to these gals!

Including men. ;)

Darkangel
01-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Ok, well, maybe its just me then. Anyone have any pics of these ladies you're talking about I have never seen the type you guys mention.....

Post them here, if G rated

DA

Haunting Copy
01-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Ok, well, maybe its just me then. Anyone have any pics of these ladies you're talking about I have never seen the type you guys mention.....

Post them here, if G rated

DA

It would be much easier to go to this page at the MHC site:
http://midwestshow.com/2009-wrapup/

Scroll down a ways until you see the "Pictures" section. It'll take about four seconds to find pics of the "body art." Amazing paintwork!

Darkangel
01-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the link Sarah....

Dirk, I rest my case hahahahaha Nice girls I'm sure though.

DA

xxxdirk
01-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Well angel, now I am confused even more so. If you are not saying these bodies are not hot, you must have a much higher standard then me. If you are commenting on their character or morality, I don't know that, I. Never talked to them. I don't judge anyone based on appearance.

Darkangel
01-24-2010, 09:41 AM
I said they seemed nice, they all were smiling and enjoyed being there so thats a good thing and contibutes to them being more attractive,,,

BUT, average looking girls that are naked or half naked doesn't make them hot automatically. I think our standards differ by quite a bit. To me, hot would be the type of women you'd see at the Playboy mansion in costume, or the models you see advertising for brands like Legg Avenue or Fredricks of Hollywoods costumes., not the fake looking ones but the really pretty and fit ones. That's all I'm saying....

If you like those types of girls at the convention that's great to each their own but when you read things like smokin' hot and things like that it makes you take a stronger look... I beter stop now, don't want the wife getting mad at me! :eek:

DA

Tater
01-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Um...just to weigh in here...I was in the room before all of them got there makeup...and all of them were HOT...no doubt about it...and for them to strip down and get painted so the artist can show the art takes some balls. I bet they didnt know someone on the internet was going to call them average...Dark would you like to get painted?

xxxdirk
01-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Playboy bunnies "Hot" NOT! IMHO, I find the girl next door look much more attractive than "silicone injected, botox loving, cocaine snorting, egocentric, shallow as hell girls" that prance around the playboy mansion. A few years ago, at transworld I saw Holly or one of the Women from GIRLS NEXT DOOR. You know what I thought? eeeeeh, "that girl in the booth across the aisle is much better looking....." BUt anyways to each their own.....

Darkangel
01-24-2010, 01:44 PM
I said not the fake girls, I meant playboy quality good which also likes the girl next store look. Maybe you like average girls because you feel they are in your league?
I say the pics in the link provided, did not see any hot girls sorry but they were very average before and after. You guys might like average and to you they are hot but....

DA

Haunting Copy
01-24-2010, 04:22 PM
So, Katie, how's the weather where you are? :p

xxxdirk
01-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Ya, um out of here

Killer Katie
01-24-2010, 08:54 PM
The weather is...um... average! LOL
This further perpetuates my theory that ANYTHING can cause a drama on this board..LOL
I guess we all agree that everyone has different levels of hot. So be it! I stand by my opinion!!
Anyway, MHC - gonna be sweet!! And I'm gonna bodypaint, so super excited!!

Haunted Illinois
01-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Sorry that I'm weighing in on this late, but I feel that I must respond.

Darkangel stated that the picts of the girls in the MHC gallery were "very average before and after". Then Darkangel stated "I think our standards differ by quite a bit". Well, apparently so, since I think that the girls in question looked pretty good to me.

Darkangel, would you like a glass of water to wash down your foot? LOL.
Perhaps you should post a picture of your wife, so we all know what your definition of "hot" is? LOL

Darkangel
01-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Typical Adam, putting your nose in others people's business that's common from you! I would not post a pic of my wife for you guys to see anyway, and judging by what you guys find attractive (ie: anything that breathes) you wouldn't be attracted to her anyway.... Maybe you guys can start a boob lady shrine or even a cult?

DA

mindtumor
01-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Typical Adam, putting your nose in others people's business that's common from you! I would not post a pic of my wife for you guys to see anyway, and judging by what you guys find attractive (ie: anything that breathes) you wouldn't be attracted to her anyway.... Maybe you guys can start a boob lady shrine or even a cult?

DA

Thumbs up, sir!

Tater
01-26-2010, 12:39 AM
I would not post a pic of my wife for you guys to see anyway, and judging by what you guys find attractive (ie: anything that breathes) you wouldn't be attracted to her anywayDA

So what your saying is your wife isnt breathing...sorry but I dont find dead girls hot at all, Kinda a downer to me

Darkangel
01-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Ah Tater, the one-trick pony, female impersonator... I guess if anyone knows what's hot about a women is someone trying to be one!
DA

Tater
01-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Listen you little assclown

before you decide to open your mouth about people and whos hot and whos not...lets recap some of the models that were being painted. First, Killer Katies model was her best friend, Second Ed Gannons Girlfriend was also a model, DreamReapers Ken Spriggs Girlfriend was a model, There was a professional model for the Beetejuice paint, Also another haunter was a model...all of which might read the board, who if you havent notice are some pretty powerfull people in the haunt industry. Youve been on this board for awhile and I can name at least 50 threads that youve come in and randomly started shit. I dont know what your problem in this forum is but you seem to hate everyone that seems like a good person or is trying to do good for the industry.

Sure I might be a one trick pony and I dont care about that because you know ive done more and helped out alot of people while im being a one trick pony, why dont you stop and look outside your little troll like cave and realize that I do more then one character...So get off your high horse, stop with the bullshit drama causing and realize that these people have some sort of feelings before you open your damn mouth again

Darkangel
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Assclown? Strong words from a guy weighing about a buck thirty.

I'm not trying to start drama here Tater, someone said the ladies who wore the body paint were really hot, I looked at the pics and found the opposite to be true from the link I went to. That's the problem when people say things like "so hot" or "we are the best or scariest haunt" it puts the microscope on them. To some they may be , to many they will not be. I contribute positively to all the threads that I can but I'm also not going to be a follower and go with the flow and not have an opinion.

DA

Killer Katie
01-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Ever heard of just letting it go, Dark Angel? For God's sakes....
Instead of just saying they are not your type of hot, you have to be all jerky and kind of offensive about it.
You are on of the people on this board that I consider instigators, which makes for just wonderful postings. (sarcasm)
Can you and everyone drop it and get back to the topic at hand?

xxxdirk
01-26-2010, 02:57 PM
As far as Tater being a one trick pony, Dark Angel,at lease he has a trick This is your profile:

Biography
Looking to start a new haunt.
Interests
Haunted houses, sports, cars and girls
Occupation
self-employed

You do not even own a haunt, most likely do not know ANYTHING about the industry besides just wanting to be a "smart ass" and trying to stir up conflict. Before you blast people, people that have actually worked in the field and are a HELL of a lot more respected and loved in the community, how about waiting until you have some experience about the haunt industry?

MDKing
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Dirk,

in Darkangel's defence he's a little more experienced than his profile suggests, I have spoken with him and his wife several times. He's worked in the haunt business for a long time acting and managing, don't know exactly though. I know he has done a cool home haunt and is a skilled actor, which I have experienced in person. Based on what I know, he and his team should run a great haunt if/when they open.

DA, we get your point they are not your type. Lol... being brutally honest has worked for some people on the board to great results, but it's better to share your experience and knowledge you'll find.

Allan

Haunted Illinois
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Darkangel,

Why do you feel the need to antagonize? You haven’t even been around long enough to know what is really going on in the Industry… and from what I gather, you are just some kid who just “aspires” to own a haunt. Why do you feel the need to be an ass in front of all of these professional haunters? Most of them have probably owned a haunt longer than you have been an adult. LOL. You’re a home haunter and I definitely applaud you for that. Good for you!!! BUT… to act all high and mighty in this type of forum… you must earn your stripes first, which you obviously haven’t done yet.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not impressed.

Give yourself a few years son, before you try to be an jerk to veterans on this board. Maybe then, they will respect what you have to say.

I've seen the people who wear the pasties and g-strings at haunt shows and unfortunately they're not usually the type who should be wearing things like that anyway! That's what scares me and my kids! lol

I say the pics in the link provided, did not see any hot girls sorry but they were very average before and after.

Dirk

Sounds like it's time for a visit to the optometrist for you...unless your idea of smoking hot is homely chicks with junk in the trunk!!

someone said the ladies who wore the body paint were really hot, I looked at the pics and found the opposite to be true from the link I went to.

“They shouldn’t be wearing these things anyway? They are very average? …Homely chicks with junk in the trunk?... Hot? You found the opposite to be the truth?” Wow, nice slams, chief.

Without a doubt, you don’t have a clue who you are insulting. You are being rude and condescending to girls who have connections with people in the Industry who are veterans. These are women who are friends, girlfriends, etc to people who have been in haunting longer than you have been alive. LOL.

I agree! My model is my best friend, and she's hot!

The ladies I saw in the photos from the MHC 2009 were extremely, uh, well-appointed and make me want to go on a diet every time I see them. They were not the same people who were at TW 2009

Thanks, ladies…. Also, keep in mind that most people on this message board not only respect them, but find them as attractive, as well. Darkangel, if you don’t agree, then fine, we respect your opinion that they aren’t “your type”. All we ask is that you don’t be rude, in the process of expressing your opinion. Take my advice and be careful. If you don’t, it just may bite you in the ass, if you offend the wrong person. Just keep that in mind when planning your “haunt of the future”.

Ah Tater, the one-trick pony, female impersonator... I guess if anyone knows what's hot about a women is someone trying to be one!

Assclown? Strong words from a guy weighing about a buck thirty.

Again, more insults from you. In case you are unaware, Tater is a VERY respected person in the Haunt community. Be careful who you insult.

Ever heard of just letting it go, Dark Angel? For God's sakes....

Instead of just saying they are not your type of hot, you have to be all jerky and kind of offensive about it.

You are on of the people on this board that I consider instigators, which makes for just wonderful postings. (sarcasm)

Can you and everyone drop it and get back to the topic at hand?

Darkangel, there is a way to express your opinion without insulting people on this board and those they care about. Learn it. Do it. It’s an important lesson.

Dirk,

in Darkangel's defence he's a little more experienced than his profile suggests, I have spoken with him and his wife several times. He's worked in the haunt business for a long time acting and managing, don't know exactly though. I know he has done a cool home haunt and is a skilled actor, which I have experienced in person. Based on what I know, he and his team should run a great haunt if/when they open.

DA, we get your point they are not your type. Lol... being brutally honest has worked for some people on the board to great results, but it's better to share your experience and knowledge you'll find.

Allan

Translation: Darkangel is a good guy who has a cool yard haunt, but he can sometimes be headstrong and rude. He should really try to work with others, instead of being so belligerent. If he does this, he may just advance in this Industry.

Just my two cents.

MDKing
01-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Adam,

Please don't twist my words you can debate with DA all you want but I said what I said from my experiences. It's an opinion just agree to disagree. I don't think anyone has to worry about "powerful" haunters or actors it's not like were some kind of mafia!!

Allan

Darkangel
01-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Allan, sent you a private message.

Adam, when last I checked you didn't own a haunt and neither does Tater so why should I fear your power? You are the one coming off as high and mighty at least I do a home haunt all you do is run a website about other peoples haunts. And for the record, I haven't been called a kid in 25 years now.
DA

Haunted Illinois
01-26-2010, 08:47 PM
No problem, Allan. Not trying to say that anyone has to be “afraid” of some haunter mafia, since such a thing doesn't exist. Just trying to relay to a newbie that a more respectful attitude was called for, when referring to veterans in this industry and those they are associated with.
Regardless of who Darkangel was disrespectful of (you, your kin or strangers), I would have posted the very same thing.
I don't feel that a newbie should be disrespectful of any of us who have been around much longer than he has. Again just my two cents.

MDKing
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Adam,

I dont disagree with you, but I think this argument has runs its course.

Allan

Haunted Illinois
01-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Allan,

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Barry
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Over 1000 views, a bunch of replies and it has MHC in the title. Who would have thought... LOL

xxxdirk
01-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah, how did we get so off course? Mhc and all their events gets a five star rating.

drfrightner
01-27-2010, 02:35 AM
What in the hell happened here???

There are so many posts I can't even follow what is going on. What was the original topic here and how did it end up talking about girls at tradeshows?

Who cares how good looking some girls are at one show over another the bottom line boils down to what show is best suited for your agenda and your goals... if looking at half naked girls is your beat maybe you should go to AVA (Adult Video Awards) or is it AVN (I dont' know).

A haunt show is about cool products for people who own haunts, operate haunts, want to operate haunts not girl watching.

Missing the Transworld Show would be a mistake if you own, operate or plan to own or operate a haunted house that is the bottom line! If you do not own or operate a haunt but maybe work in one maybe another show is better suited for you! I don't know but the bottom line is I think the whole thing went way off track. Personally I think all woman are beautiful the most beautiful creatures on earth (as you can see I'm a fan of woman). LOL. However and again what does that have to do with haunting I'll never know! Again bottom line go to the show that you feel will best meet your goals and your agenda and leave it at that... hope to see you at all of these awesome shows!

I know a lot of people choose MHC while some choose others and all have their niche and apparently MHC has a lot of spray painted woman running around... so getting back to agenda's if that is a good reason to go see ya there, but no reason to argue over it.

Larry

Killer Katie
01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Sarah was wondering which trade show would be the best for her, that's why MHC came up. Transworld is perfect, like you said for buyers and such, but for a non-buyer, MHC seems to fit the best. thats' all we're saying :)