PDA

View Full Version : GET OFF YOUR DUFF AND VOTE AT THE IAHA ELECTIONS!!

The Ghoulish Gallery
02-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I've had some stuff on my mind for a week or so and I wanted to get it off my chest. I'm one of those closet IAHA members. Like a lot of you, I signed up (two years ago) and pretty much got nothing in return. I had no intention to rejoin but a friend talked me into it with the promise that things were going to change.

Today, I'm faced with the decision to renew or not renew my membership. Looking back at this past year, I see that my friend had been honest and that a lot of changes have been made. Sure, there is a lot of work left to do but things seem to be headed in the right direction. What is the "right" direction? Well, I guess it is all a matter of personal perspective but for me it is when the individual members of IAHA board are more interested in how big a pie they can make for the haunt community as a whole as opposed to how big a piece of pie they will get themselves or their own haunts. Not pointing fingers here but letís face it, this kind of self-centered governing happens in any board from time to time, even home owner associations. Itís just something that happens and letís be honest, IAHA has had rough edges in the past. When this industry prospers, we all prosper. Others may not agree with me on all this and that's okay. We can agree to disagree. This is just my personal opinion but I suspect it may be shared by many others.

Having said all that, I've decided to renew my IAHA membership. IAHA is a living, breathing things that will change and evolve with each new election. I want that living, breathing thing to continue to be healthy because it can help this industry and that, in turn, helps all of us. Yes, there is a lot of sanding left to do on some of those rough IAHA corners but I guess that's why I'm renewing ... so I can cast my vote during the elections at Transworld. The way I figure, I can be one of those people who complains a lot or I can be one of those people who gets involved and helps make a difference by voting for the kind of folks that I want representing us to the world marketplace and domestic/national press. Rather than getting bogged down in past mistakes or in all the changes that still need to be made, I'd rather help facilitate the direction in which things are going and I can do that with my vote.

For the conspiracy theorists in the crowd, I'm not getting paid to write this and I'm not running for any IHAH office. I'm just a person who loves spooky stuff like you do. I'm just a guy who sees the IAHA "potential" and as I would with a child, I want to encourage that. In the last few weeks I've seen how members of the haunt community can get behind and support something like the Frozen Tundra tour and I am in awe. I t wasn't just one person. It was a few people who picked up where Transworld left off, ran with it and the whole haunt community got behind them. That is inspiring! It shows that we can move mountains if we work together.

I'm reminded of an old Chinese proverb that I just made up off the top of my head:

"A boat goes nowhere fast when the rowers are all rowing in different directions."

I don't know if there's ever been a "Get Out and Vote" campaign for the Haunt industry in regards to IAHA but if not, consider this the first. As a haunt community, we can be proud of what has been accomplished with the Frozen Tundra Tour. Hatís off to all involved, including attendees for their support. Letís not lose that momentum folks! I ask each and every one of you to give some serious consideration as to how you can help facilitate positive change and unity in the haunt community. If it involves becoming a new IAHA member or renewing expired memberships so you can cast you vote on Fridayís election at Transworld, then please do it. Get involved, have your voice heard and most importantly, help make a difference.

I think you need to sign up before Transworld to vote at Transworld. Would someone from IAHA please give everyone the details and deadline on how someone can sign up and be eligible to vote in this yearís election.

Just something thatís been on my mind. Thanks for letting me share.

See you all in a few weeks,
Tim @ The Ghoulish Gallery

Witchypoo
02-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Very well spoken, Tim! And thank you for your support & understanding of how fluid & living the assiciation is.

Ballots for the election will go in the mail by the weekend. In the ballots will include bio's for each of the nominees.

One can mail back or fax their ballot, if they will not be attending Transworld, the cut off date for receiving ballots via mail or fax will be printed on the ballot.
We will be accepting ballots at the IAHA Booth Friday & Saturday, as well as at the Annual Meeting Saturday, February 24, 2007 starting at 6 pm.
We should also have extras on hand for anyone who forgets theirs.

There is a cut off date of 10 days prior to Transworld that one must be a member in order to vote. So, last day to renew or become a new member is February 14, 2007. Mind you, we had a January 31 cut off date for inclusion in the Directory, as the list had to be shipped to the printer so we could have the directories on hand at Transworld to hand out to members.

Deanna Roberts-Morton
IAHA Secretary

I think you need to sign up before Transworld to vote at Transworld. Would someone from IAHA please give everyone the details and deadline on how someone can sign up and be eligible to vote in this yearís election.

Just something thatís been on my mind. Thanks for letting me share.

See you all in a few weeks,
Tim @ The Ghoulish Gallery

screamlinestudios
02-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Tim you really put feelings into words very well and we can feel and hear what you are saying. It's nice to hear about the changes and to really understand them. We like some others out there at one time didn't think much of IAHA either way and all we seemed to hear for awhile were nothing but the "rough edges" - this is very refreshing and it means a lot of good changes have been happening.

Our experience with the Frozen Tundra tour has been really wonderful and inspiring. We are so very glad we agreed from the very beginning to be a part of it.

If things keep progressing in this positive fashion I have a good feeling that Screamline Studios may just end up being a member of IAHA before too long.

Sincerely,

Tattoo
02-07-2007, 08:43 PM
I know alot of people ask "What can I.A.H.A. do for me?" or "Is I.A.H.A. worth joining?"
I have been haunting for 16 years and was never a member of I.A.H.A. until last year. I was nominated to run for the Board of Directors and was also voted in at TransWorld. Over the past year my eyes have been opened to what the Association is and also what its goals are. I know that in the past I.A.H.A' s reputation has been stained and came with alot of baggage but those days are gone and the current Board is dedicated to turning the Association into one of the most valued sources of information and education in the Industry. It's easy to sit back and watch, and wonder, and complain, about things that affect all of us, things like insurance, and safety, building codes, fire codes, etc. That is why we need people to join I.A.H.A., we need to hear your voices, we need to communicate the issues that we all face or will face and we all need to stand strong and turn our Industry into a force!
The Frozen Tundra Fright Tour has shown me what can happen when the Industry works together to offer something fun and memorable! I am overwhelmed by the amount of support we have recieved and I am very excited and proud to be part of this event.
TransWorld will be different for me this year, I will still be ordering items for Terror on the Fox and drooling over all the new products, but I am also going to use the time to talk to people and listen to what I can do as a Board Member of the I.A.H.A. to help better our Industry and our Association.

Thanks for listening and I wish everyone safe travels and we'll see you soon!

Tattoo

Tattoo
02-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Bump!

Raycliff Manor
02-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Tim, as someone who has been nominated to be on the IAHA board and as someone who hopes to make a significant contribution to the future of the IAHA, I really appreciate your very well put comments on the association. I have been an IAHA member since 2003, but I've never been more excited about where the association is headed and its' potential as I am now!

Deanna, your tireless efforts do not go unrecognized! Thanks for all your hard work and dedication! :D

Tattoo, I have been fortunate to get to know you, even if it has been via Internet communication and phone calls. I'm really looking forward to further discussing the future of IAHA with you, I know you'll be really busy during TW and the Fright Tundra Tour, but I'm looking forward to spending whatever time is available for getting to know you in person. I already feel like we're old friends! :wink:

Kel

Dan Faupel
02-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Great post Tim!...very well put...

I have been very busy lately, and haven't been around here much lately...I will come back to this thread soon...

I will say this...I just got off the monthly IAHA BOD phone meeting and it was super productive...IAHA is a ship with a direction now, and don't worry, there is room for every haunt professional on this ship...

Every professional in this industry needs to be sure to put the annual IAHA meeting Saturday night on their itinerary (whether you are a member or not)...our 3 year plan will be unveiled, and will be a time not to be missed..guaranteed!...you'll just have to be there if you want to find out more!

I completely agree with Kelly...Deanna is an amazing person with unbelievable dedication to this association!...luv ya girl!

Dan Faupel
02-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Btw...VOTE FOR KELLY!

maverick005
02-09-2007, 01:42 AM
i will say this...i am also blown away at the amount of support the frozen tundra tour has gotten...everyone from sponsers to the ticket holders...it is in a word grand-tastic...
as far as IAHA goes, the meeting is on saturday...but where and when...how long does it last...can someone fill in my blank spots please...thanks y'all..

todd poole

Bill
02-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Good question Todd and thanks for the thread Tim. We're in the final stages of planning right now. As it stands the IAHA Annual Meeting will be held on Saturday 6pm - 8pm in rooms 8, 9, 10. For those of you familiar with the area, those are the last 3 rooms on the left past the bathrooms. We've got lots of goodies planned.

This is a meeting you DON"T want to miss. I can assure you this board has their **** together. We have all been working together, yes working together, to gather ideas that will help your business. We will unveil a 3-year plan for IAHA and it will touch many areas. I can guarantee you will leave that meeting knowing 2007 will be the start of something special for IAHA.

Typically annual meetings are for members only but this meeting will be open to anyone interested in IAHA. If you have ANY interest in joining IAHA you need to be at this meeting and let us do a little arm-twisting. Seriously though, we would greatly appreciate you giving us 2 hours of your time on Saturday to show you the IAHA of the future.

The eternal question ďWhy should I join IAHAĒ will be answered.

Bill Criscione
VP - IAHA

maverick005
02-09-2007, 09:55 AM
thanks bill....i am assuming it is rooms 8-10 at the crowne then....cool...i dont know about arm twisting, but i will let you buy me beer or two or three...lol...the drunker i get the more pliable my will becomes...lol...i also didnt know you were on the iaha board...guess i never asked...well thanks for the info bill i appreciate it...my blanks are just about filled...

todd poole

Dan Faupel
02-09-2007, 09:56 AM
We will be accepting ballots at the IAHA Booth Friday & Saturday, as well as at the Annual Meeting Saturday, February 24, 2007 starting at 6 pm.
We should also have extras on hand for anyone who forgets theirs.

Deanna Roberts-Morton
IAHA Secretary

Hey Todd...Deanna had mentioned that info in her post above.....and yes, IAHA boardmembers Mike (Tattoo) Krausert and Tim Gavinski did an incredible job running with the Tundra Tour...

Dan Faupel
02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Todd, and anyone else wanting to learn more about IAHA...

Please visit the IAHA website at www.HauntedHouseAssociation.org

There is an amazing wealth of information there that is priceless if you are involved in this haunting business...

There is also an entire "member only" section of the website with even more priceless information that you can only access after you sign up...Tony Wohlgemuth has done an incredible job with updates to the site...

Since Todd brought it up, below is a complete list of the current board...Kelly Allen is the only new nominee, and five of the boardmembers who's terms are expiring are running for re-election...myself, Brett, Tim, Eddie and Larry...

President . . . . . . . . .Eddie McLaurin - Woods of Terror
Vice President . . . . . Bill Criscione - Ghostly Manor
Secretary . . . . . . . . Deanna Roberts-Morton - Morton Manor
Treasurer . . . . . . . . Jim Smith - Niles Haunted House
Robert Kocher - The Village of Darkness
Tim Gavinski - Morgan Manor
Brett Bertolino - Eastern State Penitentiary/Terror Behind the Walls
Rich Hanf - House of the Living Dead
Dan Faupel - Creative Visions/Haunt Visions
Rich Strelak - Hotel Fear/The Asylum
Michael Bruner - Monster Maze
Larry Kirchner - HPI/Hauntworld/The Darkness
RandyYoung - formerly of Haunted Castle
Ken Donat - Insurance Correlators
Karl Fields - Pirates of Emerson
Mike Krausert (Tattoo) - Terror On the Fox/Bad Boys Scenic Design/Pale eye Prod.
BobbieWeiner - Bloody Mary
Tony Wohlgemuth - Spookywoods

maverick005
02-09-2007, 11:27 AM
thanks for the info dan....i knew those speed reading courses i bought off the internet werent any good...it told me to only read every other word...lol...take care...see y 'all at transworld

todd poole

Jim Warfield
02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Would my "Duff" be Howard or Hillary?

Tattoo
02-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I feel the same way Kel, strange how you can get to "know" someone over the phone and e-mails. Looking forward to meeting you in person on the tour and I just want to thank EVERYONE who supported this tour! I think alot of people will be pretty excited when they find out the things we have "up our sleeves", right Kel.

:wink:

Take care,
Tattoo

Raycliff Manor
02-09-2007, 03:29 PM
You got that right Tattoo! People are in for quite a treat! This event is going to go down in history as the event that shows what happens when an industry comes together!

Kel

maverick005
02-09-2007, 04:27 PM
you guys dont mean...you cant possibly be saying.....free beer for all who come to the meeting?.....you guys are the greatest....all you can drink beer night at the IAHA meeting....haha...oh...i am probably wrong...but that is something you may want to consider...
the way you guys keep talking about it, and not telling us isnt nice...its called teasing...

todd

Bill
02-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Todd - The meeting is not at the Crowne but at the Convention Center, rooms 8 - 10. As far as the beer goes that might take our whole budget to cover that tab. We will have a few "incentives" though. :roll:

maverick005
02-10-2007, 10:03 AM
oh thats good to know...i would be walking around the crowne with a beer in hand, looking for a room that doesnt exist...i would look like a complete doofus...thanks for saving me from "doofus-dom"...and there you guys go again "teasing" us again with vague glimpses into what you have in store for us..."incentives"...okey...are the incentives bigger than a bread box...(i love 20 questions...lol)

todd

Witchypoo
02-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Great post Tim!...very well put...

I completely agree with Kelly...Deanna is an amazing person with unbelievable dedication to this association!...luv ya girl!

Wow! You like me! You really, really, Like me!

Lame ass home haunter that I am. :twisted:

Deanna

Jim Warfield
02-11-2007, 11:28 PM
There it is again!
The ghost of one of the twelve disciples must be in Larry's website software!
Some eon from now this website will be looked at just like the Dead Sea scrolls, I know, this could be called "The Really Dead See Scrolls"
"Really, really, Dead See them scrolls?"

Dan Faupel
02-12-2007, 09:08 AM
You know I luv ya Deanna!...even though you are a lowly home haunter...hehehehehe....(you know I'm kidding!!!)