PDA

View Full Version : Wolfman "no spoilers"

Howie Slobber Erlich
02-12-2010, 12:22 PM
I saw the earliest show I could. I had high hopes for this one, and I was not let down. I thought it was one of the best horror movies of the last 10 years. If you are a fan of the original Universal monster movies, you will like this movie. It has a lot of elements that remind you of the feel of the classics. I liked how they did not go crazy on the make up. It still looks like the Wolfman but with an up to date more scary look. The animation was very well done but not over done. I liked the new storyline with some of the original characters left in tact. This gives me a good feeling about all the other Universal remakes on the way. I give it a 9 3/4 out of 10. GO SEE THIS MOVIE NOW!

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction
www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com

SomeThingInTheIce
02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Sweet, I am so happy to hear this! Looking forward to seeing it.

damon carson
02-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Im glad to hear this. U.S Today was bashing it. Saying the Wolfman looks like Chewbacca from Star Wars. And gave it a 2 out of 4. I figured they were bashing it because its a horror movie. Im hoping I dont end up agreeing with there review. Going tonight!
Damon

Allen H
02-12-2010, 01:21 PM
The wolfman is near and dear to my heart, I have a promo tonight for it but I told some friends I would see it with them on sunday. Im pretty happy that it has been remade, and I cant wait for the others. Im also eagerly anticipateing the Clash of the titans remake.
Allen H

scarygoat
02-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Ya, I think I'm going to see it this weekend. I too am very excited for the new Clash of the Titans movie.

Night Stalker
02-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I saw it today, and first let me say I really...really....really wanted to like this movie as werewolves are my favorite. That said I didn't really like it, I thought it was slow and while they did go back to the original wolfman for the look, for me it was not near scary enough.

I was really thrilled with the lead playing the wolfman either, I didn't think he was a great actor at all, Anthony Hopkins did a good job as always but sorry to say I was disappointed...others may like it but i was let down.

Jeff

drfrightner
02-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Okay I went to see it... The Wolfman is my favorite classic monster of all time and I mean of all time so I really wanted to love this movie. I can't say I loved this movie because I didn't but I liked it. It had a great tone out of the hole and all through the middle, it got kinda cheesy towards the end and it was like well everyone somehow will be or is a werewolf. LOL

I loved the acting it was good, the movie had the feel of Bram Stroker Dracula in many ways, and the wolfmans powers have been ramped up considerably from the original.

Remember Frank meets the Wolfman... well this Wolfman would tear the stitches out of old Frank. Wolfman can run superfast, has all sorts of keen senses, razor sharp claws, bigger teeth, he's stronger, bigger and well meaner.

I think in the original Wolfman he couldn't have killed more than a few people in this version he kills like the whole town! LOL

Couple things I really didnt' like was the fact non of the characters really bonded like the gypsy she really plays very little role in this film unlike the original she was a key person in the movie.

It almost seemed like NOTHING could stop the Wolfman he was nearly unstoppable. Bottom line I liked the movie but it seemed like you've seen it before it wasn't that original the make up job wasn't just different, blah, blah...

But if you love Horror movies you have to see the movie its part of the legend of Universal. I hope to see another one!

Will you love this movie no, but will you like it oh yeah!

Larry

damon carson
02-13-2010, 08:44 AM
I would give it an average score. 3 out of 5. The sets and mood and tone was all set and done beautiful. But the story how they changed it in parts kinda sucked. Anthony Hopkins was good. But Benicio was like just there in the part. I didnt think it was all that great. Was looking for much better. Danny Elfman did the music score. He is always great. Go see it there are parts you will like.
Damon

stafford
02-13-2010, 08:52 AM
It was good, not great. I thought it dragged a bit, slow tempo. The acting, excluding Hopkins, was mediocre. It was cool to see a "makeup" wolfman instead of CGI, definitely a throwback, but still really cool. It made me jump a few times, but the suspense level wasn't that high.

I'll be curious to see how it does. I think if you're not a horror fan, you may have a hard time with it, don't think it will find much of a cross over audience. Is it worth seeing? I think so, but overall it wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be.

Chris

graystone
02-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Tonight and I really thought it was great! I love the fact that they did not go over the top with him like they did in the Hulk! Shane and I give it 4 out of 5 stars! Shane this time.

Jim Warfield
02-13-2010, 09:58 PM
that posted about the Wolfman movie....are you all suggesting that we haunters should start allowing our hair to grow Now so it will be sufficiently "Wolfy" this fall?
Practise your howling.
"OOOOOO O!" (snark, snark!)

TheCareTaker
02-14-2010, 05:20 AM
went yester day and enjoyed it. it was not the best but i still liked it and so did the kids, i would say a 7 out of ten i think they should have went all out on this one as it could have been one of thoses movies that transended all age groups and could have been a big seller. over all i will be buying it when it comes out on dvd as i loved the sets and seens and saw some great ideas. we tried a new theater this time one where they serve you inside like a resteraunt it was prety cool but smelled just a little to much like a bar. enjoy all and have a nice day.
John

Darkblood
02-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Saw it yesterday and thought it was a blast! Loved the Rick Baker makeup job for the Wolfman and thought the CGI transformations were decent (can't beat good old fashion non-CGI, which I was hoping for). I totally agree with Larry, I was getting a 1992 Bram Stoker's Dracula vibe from it. The sets and atmosphere and camerawork were mind-blowing. Loved the fog and black/white contrast and feel to the film.
Definitely a BUY on DVD when it comes out. Might even go see it again!

Kirk

drfrightner
02-15-2010, 10:03 PM
It made about 36 million over the four day weekend. That isn't great and doesn't bode well for a sequel but I'm hopeful. It needs to get to about 100 million domestic and another 100 million overseas to talk about another one.

I do think if they do another one they should do Frankenstein vs. Wolfman no question about it... give me another one but include Franky!

Larry

Nightgore
02-15-2010, 10:09 PM
I think the current weather emergencies have kept people from seeing this AWESOME movie! So, don't beat it down to hard... I'm sure if the situations where different, it would have made a TON of money! -Tyler

robert
02-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I've seen it a couple of times.... visuals are great, tone is appropriately serious, love the Wolfman make-up. I think it will be more appreciated as time goes by. Sure it feels slow at times but remember it could have been like Van Helsing!

Allen H
02-15-2010, 11:07 PM
I am a huge wolf man fan, I liked it alot. I liked the story. Yes it was slow, but it was faster than the original.

Darkangel
02-16-2010, 05:42 AM
It's definitely time for a Frankenstien movie, but just hime alone for the first one then do one with the Wolfman. He can stand on his own as he was way more popular in pop culture than the wolfman, just behind Dracula.

DA

Matt Marich
02-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Frankenstien Vs. the Wolfman, I've always wanted ET vs. Predator.

FablesStudios
02-16-2010, 07:24 AM
I thought it was Great! Good Story! Good FX not over the top!! I wish it was longer and for some reason I did not think it was slow.... Maybe thats just me.. O well..

Peter T
FS

BruiseMuse
02-16-2010, 11:12 AM
We saw it this weekend and really enjoyed it. I appreciate that they didn't do over-the-top CGI and the film actually developed the characters. The sets and costumes were great as well.

KroneDaddy
02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
I really loved it, although I thought there was a little gratuitous gore for the sake of gore. Like when heads were lopped off and entrails left steaming in the grass. I too felt the Bram Stoker's Dracula look to it. I LOVED Rick Baker's make-up, looked like a real werewolf, not a skinny wolf up on it's hind legs. It was a cross between The Original Wolfman and Curse of the Werewold, Benicio Del Torro actually reminded me of Oliver Reed at times. Great going back to the Wolfman well for the story. I didn't care for the Anthony Hopkins father character also being a werewolf. I preferred Bela the gypsy being the orgonal ww.

My sone liked it OK, we saw it together, he agreed with me abut the gore and blood factor.

All in all, I loved it. Bring on Frankenstein and "Frank meets the WM"

KroneDaddy

SpookywoodsFX.com
02-16-2010, 10:10 PM
If KroneDaddy doesn't edit his post you'll need to mark this thread *spoiler alert*.. I have yet to see the film and wasn't expecting that bit of information.

For those of you that mentioned the make-up, Rick Baker recently pointed us to some very cool photo's of the make-up process, I have posted them below for you and others to check out. It's always great to see the process involved in creating monsters.

Now, for all of you waiting for a Frankenstein film, here's news for you.
From what I hear Guillermo del Toro has a 4 picture deal with Universal. Doug Jones (Abe Sapien) is set play the Monster. It's my understanding that del Toro will be taking it back to Mary Shelley's book with a 'reimagining' of the Monster, so how much he stray's FROM that, we'll have to see... Designs are being drawn and make-up tests are being done. It's said that this Monster will be based, in-whole or in part, on Bernie Wrightson's illustrations of Frankenstein's monster. It definitely sounds interesting. Too bad it wont be any time soon....

On to the make-up pics...

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv326/spookywoodsfx/pl_screen1_f.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv326/spookywoodsfx/pl_screen2_f.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv326/spookywoodsfx/pl_screen3_f.jpg

SpookywoodsFX.com
02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
A few more....

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv326/spookywoodsfx/pl_screen5_f.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv326/spookywoodsfx/pl_screen6_f.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv326/spookywoodsfx/pl_screen7_f.jpg

estavares
02-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Boy, this film was a mixed bag. I loved the look and time period, and the actors were great; Hugo Weaving is just plain awesome.

The gore was totally unnecessary. This film really could have been (and should have been) PG-13, as the themes and general storyline were so tame that the gore just felt tacked on. They would have made more money as, really, the film isn't that scary and could have appealed to younger teenagers and those who normally don't go to horror films.

A fine "B" movie and a fun rental.

robert
02-20-2010, 01:39 PM
I was actually surprised that it was R rated as well. Less gory and more story would have brought in more $s. Still great to see the classic monsters still prowling the screen much more than Freddy and his pals.

chuck weber
02-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I did not see the movie yet, but 2 people I know saw it and hated it. The critics totally bashed it. These reports turned off at least 3 people I know from going to see it. I will still go and see it. Most of these movie critics are idiots who let their egos shine in their reviews. (they are usually wrong anyway, especially about horror movies) . I never let a critic steer me away from a movie with subject matter I enjoy. I hope it makes alot of money and I'm sure I will enjoy it.