PDA

View Full Version : Finally did it!

Pemjack
02-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone. After almost two years of "being on the outside looking in" the haunt industry, I'm finally taking the plunge! On February the 26th, I will be closing on a 8000 sq ft former funeral home that I will be opening up as a haunted attraction. I am so excited!!! The building needs some work, but I can't wait to get started. Once I get the repairs squared away, I can devote most of my efforts toward building the actual haunt. I'm going to need a lot of advice!! Below, are pictures taken from the front and side of the building. There was just too much snow on the day I took these, therefore, I did not walk around the whole building and get more pics. I will post more pictures of both the outside and the inside when I get the keys! A special thanks to Allen H for helping me post the pictures. Wish me luck! Pete.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/pemjack/Petes%20Haunt/DSC04131.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/pemjack/Petes%20Haunt/DSC04130.jpg

The Doctor
02-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Congrats on the purchase and wish you the best of luck, it is a labor of love and pain but worth it all.

HauntsForHealth
02-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Congrats ^_^

Can't wait to see more, looks like a solid location.

Jim Warfield
02-19-2010, 03:06 PM
And the former owner even threw in alot of realistic snow!
It looks like a very substantial structure.
Did they go out of business because the undertaker buried everyone he ever knew?
That very thing happened here.
Good Luck.

WelchWitch
02-19-2010, 03:41 PM
May you never have a slow night
May you always scare the piss out of them
May you never have a lot of headaches as you begin the journey to create your vision
May you always have enough Advil when you do
May you always have plenty of great actors
May you make a lot of money to pay for your vision
May you never have a lot of technical problems that you can't fix.
May you never have rain/snow interferences
May you make through the first year with a smile on your face and thoughts ready for the next year.

And most of all may you always have them screaming for more!!!

Best of luck.

graystone
02-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Shane and its Good Luck! Shane this time!

Mike Bizub
02-19-2010, 04:26 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, with that tall chimney in back do you have an actual crematorium on site?

SomeThingInTheIce
02-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Nice, the building looks to be a good size. Are you going to go with a funeral home theme?

Barry
02-19-2010, 05:58 PM
That is awesome! Good luck in your venture!!
Barry

damon carson
02-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Nice building! May actually may be haunted! You could have alot of fun with this. I would stay with the funeral home theme. I wouldnt do random themes and screw up what you already have 2 work with. Good luck and congats!
Damon

BruiseMuse
02-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Congrats! You found such a great location!

Pemjack
02-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words and positive thoughts. I'll try to keep everbody posted on future developments, and will post more pics as soon as I can. I just can't wait to get the keys on Friday!! It's already keeping me up at night. The room designs and possibilities just keep coming over and over. When the alarm goes off at 6:30, I feel as if I haven't slept at all. The Doctor is right, this will be a labor of love!

I'll try to respond to some of your posts-

Jim Warfield, I'm so sick of snow realistic or unrealistic, it doesn't matter. The family that owned the funeral home has another location in a different town not far from here. The big corporation moved in and pretty much drove them out.

Welch Witch, Thanks so much for your kindness. May it all come true!

Shane, someday I'll come to your party! Keep me on the invite list!

Mike Bizub, I don't know if there is an actual crematorium on site. The lower level only had a few working light bulbs in the many rooms that are down there. There is however a pretty big fireplace. Hmmm....

Damon Carson, I'm going to sell it as really being haunted!! Who knows, I'm sure a lot of the folks who ended up there, didn't want to be. I am going with the funeral home theme. I just want to be respectful to the previous owners and to the families of the people who were processed here. Any thoughts?

Bruise Muse, Hi Katie, My wife and I met you at Hauntcon last year. We attended your make-up class.

Somethingintheice, Yes, I'm planning on keeping the funeral home theme. I just need to figure out all of the different room ideas. Any thoughts?

Barry, I'm planning on attending MHC this year.

and to HauntsforHealth thanks for writing.

That's it for now, I'll enjoy talking to you all soon. Pete.

Night Stalker
02-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Hello Pete welcome to the local haunt community, I am not sure if you have heard about us or not but we are close bye. Good luck in your haunt we wish you the best of luck!

Jeff

HELLRAZZORS
02-20-2010, 08:42 AM
that building is sweet.... ive been looking for somthing like that in columbus ohio area.... just hard to find somthing...good luck.....

Raycliff Manor
02-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Congratulations on an awesome building Pete! Finding a location, and a permanent one at that, is a huge step in the manifestation of your screams my friend!;)

Kel

BruiseMuse
02-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Pemjack, I think you have me confused with Killer Katie. I taught at MHC last year, but not Hauntcon.

Pemjack
02-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Sorry, Bruise Muse my bad. Hope to meet you at MHC this year!

Jeff from Nightstalker- you guys are from Clio right? I have heard of Nightstalkers and I will come and check your show out this year. Thanks again for writing.

Thanks Hellrazzors. You know once I found this building, I quit looking at others. It was just a matter of "how can I buy this".

To Kel from Raycliff Manor- Thank you! I'm reading your "How to be" book now for the 3rd time, and I'm still finding new information. Look forward to buying other books/dvds from Hauntbook.

Have a great Sunday everyone. Only 5 more days!!! Pete.

Night Stalker
02-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey Pete actually we are in Millington, yeah be sure to stop by and say hello!

Jeff

Tombstone
02-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Congrats, nice building. Did you take possession today?

drfrightner
02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Make sure that building a sprinkler system and you might have to replace all the doors with panic hardware fire doors. You will end up having to install an adt type fire alarm system which also goes to the fire department you will most defiantly have to replace electric but these are all the norm.

Good luck on that... awesome finding a real funeral home. Do you have enough parking? Awesome place!

Larry

Pemjack
02-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi Tombstone! Yes!!!! Today I received the keys, and signed the papers! I left the real estate company and immediately went to the building and unlocked my door! Hee Hee. I spent about an hour in the building thinking about what to tackle first. It does need a lot of interior work, but that is the reason why I was able to buy it. The weather here is just horrid, (snow,snow,wind,snow,cold,snow etc.) but as soon as I can, I will take a lot more pictures. I will not let this bad weather put a damper on my spirit! In fact, I was so happy to be able to start my dream, that I went home and bought my Darkness tour tickets. Thanks for writing. Pete.

Pemjack
02-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi Larry, thanks for the fire safety tips. I have an additional parking lot to the side of the building and in the back. Hopefully, that won't be enough! I PM'd you about the Transworld show. Thanks for the insight. Pete.

damon carson
02-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Hey Pem Jack congrats again on such a great building! Far as being respectful and everything to people who came through the funeral home I respect that. But far as trying to be respectful and all. Most people wont say or do anything about you having a haunt there. But will run either into one person who says they had a family member that came there ect and they wont approve of what your doing. Or you will have some nut job who never had anyone they ever knew come through there and they will try to start crap with you about what your doing with the building now. All I can say is good luck because you are bound to catch some critcism. I think its great you have real funeral home to work with. Thats great and the possibilitys are endless with you going with the funeral home theme. You made the right choice deciding to stay with that theme. All I can say is show those people the most respect if they say anything. Pull them to the side or another room so they dont cause a scene if there are other customers. And tell them its no longer a funeral home. You now own the building and this is all make believe now far as the haunted house goes. Its not real. Its a show. Good luck and I really hope you dont run into any problems.
Good luck,
Damon

Allen H
02-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I wish you the best of luck. From here on out it gets hard. Keep your nose to the grind stone, prioritize your lists and work towards a goal.
Good luck, I will say like many others have if you need something I can help with let me know.
Allen H