PDA

View Full Version : Folklore will open in 2010!

danglin
03-20-2010, 11:50 PM

Those of you whom I have met during the past few years know that I have been doing everything imaginable to prepare myself for opening a safe, successful haunted attraction. The time has now come to make the leap, and I have been able to do so by joining forces with Stewart (Shadowfax on this forum) and Kevin from Nightshade Manor (Mindwerx) to form Sleepy Hollow Productions LLC. Our haunt, Folklore Haunted House, will open this September, in Dallas Georgia. We have secured an 18,000 sq. foot stand alone building (a vacant Fred's retail building), and we are in the process of building our haunt. As you can see, Brainstorm Studios has got us off to a great start with the artwork.

Nightshade manor will relocate into our building, and will be transformed into the final section of the haunt. I have been fortunate enough to get involved with two great haunters, and together we intend to create a haunt that will do the this industry proud! During the past few years, we have visited and learned from some of the best in the business, including Shane from Greystone Manor, Ben from Netherworld, Tony from Spookywoods, and too many others to mention.

I enjoyed seeing some of the pictures that other haunters have posted during the last year of the progression of their haunt, and we want to do the same with Folklore. In the coming months, we will post pictures of our progress. It was amazing to see empty buildings transform into innovative and unique haunts, and I hope that we can now give back to the industry that we love so much by doing the same.

I want to thank all of you on this forum for sharing your wisdom with people like myself, and I can't tell you how much it has helped in preparing to take this leap.

Wish us luck, and we will see you all in a few days at Transworld!

Dewayne

danglin
03-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Here are pictures of the inside of the building before we started building.

The building is sprinklered, and the pharmacy window (bullet proof glass) will be the ticket booth.

More to come.

danglin
03-21-2010, 12:36 AM
A haunt is not a haunt without those wonderful wall panels, so here are our very first ones.

Banshee
03-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Exciting! Great artwork they did for you!
I'll have to come check it out this season. Best of luck!

graystone
03-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Man oh Man aint this exciting! I know you have waited a long time for this and I am so proud for you guys! Congratulations!!! The artwork is amazing too! Good luck and I look forward to seeing this come together! Shane and its you got walls!!!!! Shane this time!

Darkangel
03-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Congrats Danglin!!!

Nice art and logo, great building thanks for sharing!

DA

Badger
03-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Always cool to see pics of a new haunt at its beginning. Congrats and keep posting pics as new stuff gets built...

MindWerxKMG
03-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Here is a pic of the outside of the building.

Speculo
03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Looks great guys and I love the name and graphic -!

See you soon!

Raycliff Manor
03-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Congratulations! Embarking on the journey with Kevin, a good guy and seasoned professional, will save you so much time and give you a wealth of insights. Have fun and thanks for sharing!

Kel

danglin
03-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your support!

We would absolutely love for any of our fellow haunters to drop by this season to give us your opinions and advice.

As many times as we head to Netherworld each year, it would be great for you guys to visit us! Your haunt has influenced Stewart and I in so many ways over the years, and it is truly one of the reasons that we got the urge to get into this industry. We feel very blessed to live near Netherworld (about an hour away), and I would encourage anyone who hasn't been there to go...It's unbelievable!

Kelly, you are absolutely right! Having someone beside you on this journey who has been there and been successful is priceless. He is a great guy, and having his haunt added to what we are building is going to going to create a very unique attraction. We have got a great team put together, and not only are we going to create a cool attraction, but we're going to enjoy the process!

Thanks again for the support, and we hope to see you all this season, if you can fit it into your schedule.

See you all next week,
Dewayne

Umby
03-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Great pics Dewayne! We will start driving our first nails of the season as soon as we get home from TW. Hope we get a chance to meet in STL and I can't wait to check out the haunt this fall!

Danny
03-22-2010, 08:45 PM
I noticed you are building the walls out of plywood. Why not OSB?

N2SPOOKINU
03-23-2010, 03:08 AM
In my opinion, what you save on OSB you will loose in paint. OSB seems to soak it up more than plywood and the finish is smoother on plywood. Just my opinion. Thats why we use plywood.
Greg
Fearfest

FablesStudios
03-23-2010, 07:26 AM
The building looks great ! Best of luck!

Peter T
FS

HELLRAZZORS
03-23-2010, 08:00 AM
thats sweet.....good luck should be fun....

sixfootgeek
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Color me jealous.... now get back to work!

MindWerxKMG
07-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Here are some more build pics...

MindWerxKMG
07-04-2010, 06:52 AM
And a couple more...

KeithK
07-04-2010, 10:06 AM
What are the three "frames" that are seen in several places in the photos?

MindWerxKMG
07-04-2010, 05:42 PM
It is just some architectural detail. The plan is to spray everything with Senergy.

coasterfreak63
07-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Love all the custom detailing on the wood.

Can't wait to see it all painted.

Are you just doing a one house event?

danglin
07-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Yes, we are doing a one-house event. We didn't want to tackle a multi-event haunt in our first season.

I apologize for not posting pictures in a while, but you all know how busy we get building these things. I have been taking photos, but I haven't had time to post them until now. Enjoy, and I will post more in days to follow:

danglin
07-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Our family and friends have been a great help with this endeavor. We couldn't do it without them!

danglin
07-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Pictures of Nightshade Manor being erected by friends and family. Again, we couldn't do it without their help and support!

danglin
07-07-2010, 12:30 AM
And you guessed it...more pictures:

danglin
07-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Coasterfreak,
We are very fortunate to have a lot of friends and family with constructions skills. One of those is my Dad, who is retired. He has never been inside a haunted attraction before, but he is having a blast trying to trim out these crypts! My son never knew he even liked to build things until he started trying to create unique trim pieces for these crypts, and now he is hooked!! Since we spend so much time away from our families while working on our haunts, one solution is to get them involved so they have fun too!!!

Instead of buying expensive trim pieces from the hardware store, our talented group of guys (Ricky, Andy, Bill, Nathan, and Don) have started making their own unique trim pieces, and I am blown away by how great they have made the sets look.

My family took a trip to Sleepy Hollow, New York a few weeks ago, and we spent two full days (and one moonlit night) walking through the above ground burial vaults at the Sleepy Hollow Cemetary. I took hundreds of pictures of them for inspiration, and I knew that I just had to find some way of building some of these crypts in our above ground cemetary. Luckily, our guys looked at some of the pictures as a guide, and now I can't get them out of our cemetary! They are having way too much fun building these.

Here are some more pictures of the crypts:

danglin
07-07-2010, 01:01 AM
A few more pictures:

danglin
07-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Last ones tonight. These show the progression of the cemetery section.

Banshee
07-07-2010, 04:01 AM
And there's that huge wolf in his new home!! That was fun watching you guys get him out of the conference center! :D
It's all looking really good folks! I remember our 1st year and how exciting that was doing that 1st buildout. Keep up the good work!

Raycliff Manor
07-07-2010, 08:05 AM
It's looking AWESOME guys! Enjoying the developments and the pictures!

Kel

MDKing
07-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Dewayne,

The pics pics great, looks like you're going to have an awesome haunt! Good building too, hard to find those at a good lease rate I'm sure...

Also, the werewolf looks right at home!

Good luck...

Allan

FablesStudios
07-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Lookin good!

Peter T
FS

sn0w
07-07-2010, 09:35 AM
The frames look great and detailed, looks like you're going to have a fantastic place.

coasterfreak63
07-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Looks incredible, I can't wait to see it finished.

How many sqaure feet is your haunt going to be it looks pretty huge.

SomeThingInTheIce
07-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Nice wood work, it looks great and the girl that is painting is quite the artist, love the pumpkins she painted.

danglin
07-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all the compliments. We still have a LOT of work to do, but we will get it done and be ready to open.

The artist is my daughter, Brittany. She is a fantastic artist (yes, I am biased), but this is the first time she has ever tackled a large mural. I have to say I am impressed with what she has done with it. She and her friends have been a big help.

We have also been blessed with the help of various members of the local football team that Stewart's son plays on. When it's time to unload a tractor trailer load of walls and props, there's nothing like having plenty of help!!!

For those who were asking, the building is an 18,000 sq foot, sprinklered retail building that was built in 2006. We were very fortunate to find this building, and we will be there for many years!

I will post some more pictures tomorrow night.

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-08-2010, 12:20 PM
The place looks AMAZING! Keep it up guys!

Dreamreaper
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
looks great. Thanks for all the pics

danglin
07-11-2010, 10:50 PM
More pictures from this week's progress. Here are some pictures of the mural. This is a slow process.

danglin
07-11-2010, 11:03 PM
In the last picture, Stewart Strickland, President of Sleepy Hollow Productions, said that if I didn't include at least one picture of him in this thread, I was fired.
There, happy now Stewart?
It is a lot of work, but we do manage to have a lot of fun too!

danglin
07-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Here are more pictures of our crypts being built. We average about 1 built per day, and we have a total of 8 built so far. Our above ground cemetery will house about 25 of these, most of which will be housing actors. We are designing them so that one actor can switch into different crypts through hidden hallways, so that each time a group comes through, the actor can hit them from a different crypt. It will keep the actor from getting bored, as well as return patrons guessing. The props are just there for visualization now, but will be moved before painting and distressing begins.

The last picture is of some of the walls from Nightshade Manor being spread out as we rebuild it into our haunt.

Darkangel
07-12-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm really enjoying seeing these build pictures you're posting, very good work from you guys! Keep it up!

DA

danglin
07-13-2010, 01:07 AM
I will keep trying to post detailed pictures each night of our progress, so that you can see the gradual transformation. I know that I appreciated those of you who did this last year, and it was a great help and inspiration to us to see those pictures. Now, its our turn to hopefully help and inspire someone.

Here is the progress from tonight:

danglin
07-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Dark Angel,

Thanks for the comments!

Rogue's Hollow has our website almost ready to launch, so needless to say we are excited! We saw the site today, and after we make a few tweaks, it will be ready to launch in the next day or so.

I will have some more pictures to post tomorrow night.

deathofdave
07-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Your haunt is looking sweet!
I actually just set the picture of all you panels laid out as my desktop for motivation.
Best of luck man

-Dave

damon carson
07-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Really diggin that cemetary scene! No punn intended. Anyway are those dowels or pvc your putting your metal fenials on? I tried mine with wooden dowels and they wont stay on even w liquid names. Just wondering what you used. It looks great!
Damon

MindWerxKMG
07-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Actually they are plastic finials on metal conduit.

Nightgore
07-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Plastic? Where did you find those? -Tyler

elowther
07-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow, you guys are kicking ass! It's looking awesome, thanks for posting those progress shots. Good luck this year, you will really impress the patrons I'm sure. Remember to take video and plenty of photos when it's done.

Eric

MindWerxKMG
07-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Plastic? Where did you find those? -Tyler

www.hooverfence.com/ornamental/finials/plastic.htm (http://www.hooverfence.com/ornamental/finials/plastic.htm)

danglin
07-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Everyone,
Thanks so much for all of the kind words. I really have a much better appreciation now for what all of you have been going through every year when you set up your haunts. Wow, this is a lot of work. I must say though, it is very rewarding to see it come together.

Tonight's pictures show my daughter's progress on the mural, and some shots of the first couple of rooms that we coated with different colors of synergy, now that it has dried. The fence sections that you see throughout our haunt are going to be detailed and "rusted up" beyond belief. We are about a week away from beginning some of our detail painting and aging. We will post these pictures as we go.

My daughter is having so much fun doing our mural, that she said she will be hiring out her services for other haunts who want murals painted in their haunts, once we are done with her! If any of you are interested, send me a pm.

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-15-2010, 10:52 AM
What is this product? It's benefits? Is it just a plaster? I have used Durabond for years on certain aplications.

Very intrigued. From your photos it just appears to be grey paint. I am thinking it must be like a stucco paint finish?

Badger
07-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Everything look incredible. Let me know if I can be of service...

MindWerxKMG
07-15-2010, 11:59 AM
What is this product? It's benefits? Is it just a plaster? I have used Durabond for years on certain aplications.

Very intrigued. From your photos it just appears to be grey paint. I am thinking it must be like a stucco paint finish?
Actually we are using a product called Pro-Kote which is very similar to Senergy. It is an acrylic polymer cement used commercially in stucco applications. It is sprayed on using a hopper. Orginally we wanted to use vacuform panels and hard coated foam but neither product passed our fire marshalls' burn tests (even the supposedly flame retardant products). Pro-Kote sprayed on top of wood passed the burn tests so that is what we went with and the texture looks great! It comes in varying finishes. We are using a light sand finish. http://www.pro-kotestucco.com/?q=node/14

danglin
07-17-2010, 02:35 AM
I just got through working at the haunt, so I thought I would share some more pictures of our progress tonight.

danglin
07-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Here are pictures of some of the trim work by our team.

danglin
07-17-2010, 02:48 AM
We got a lot of work done tonight. The crew did a great job.

danglin
07-17-2010, 02:53 AM
These are the last ones tonight. Gotta get up early and get more supplies! We are going to coat all of the crypts tomorrow. The mural is coming along nicely.

danglin
07-18-2010, 02:39 AM
I just got through pulling 18 hours straight at the haunt, and we got a lot done today/tonight. However, I won't post the pictures until tomorrow. I spent the last 6 hours coating crypts and wall panels with the coating, and it looks pretty good. It such a pain to do all the prep work for spraying coatings like that, but the end result is worth the effort. I know that I have been putting a lot of pictures up each day, but the objective is to show each stage of the process, so you can see the result of each new step.

Its late, I'm tired, so I 'll post pictures tomorrow. Thank goodness we have a great crew of guys volunteering to help, because we would be sunk without them!

Raycliff Manor
07-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Kevin, it's looking AMAZING! The hard work and dedication is definitely showing!!! Awesome job you and your team are doing!

Kel

damon carson
07-18-2010, 08:34 AM
You all must have a great crew. Its great to see pictures like this and with so much progress from day to day. Better than other threads with bare floors to look at.
Thanks again.
Damon

danglin
07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
As promised, here are pictures from Saturday's progress. Most of the day was spent hanging plastic and putting down paper on the floor. We used Pro-Kote stucco spray on several areas to give our crypts a concrete-like finish, as Kevin pointed out in an earlier post. This process is very aggravating, but we like the look it gives, and it helps our flame spread rating, which is always good. Here are lots and lots of pictures, so enjoy!

danglin
07-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Here are pictures of the crypts after spraying.

danglin
07-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Pictures of the above ground vaults getting coated

danglin
07-18-2010, 02:09 PM
More pictures

danglin
07-18-2010, 02:21 PM
These cheap paint suits are great for keeping you covered, but they don't last long. I definitely recommend covering your whole body when using this stuff. It gets everywhere!!! When I first started spraying, I did not have the plastic bag over my head, and my ears and hair (what little I have left) got covered in this crap. I put a simple Home Depot bag over my head (lots of room for jokes here-stop it!) and used a cap, glasses, and a breathing mask. I would also recommend taping up around the tops of your shoes. The sand like particles got into my shoes and rubbed blisters. It took over 6 hours to spray everything shown, but in the end, I think it was worth it. I realize that I have already posted a couple of these pictures, but I wanted to show everyone again how to get "suited up" for using this stuff. Like the other prep work, its a pain, but you will be glad you did it.

We have three different colors of the Pro-Kote, and you can add paint to make any color you want. We are using light gray (seen on the burial vaults), white (seen in room with the casket racks) and dark gray, which will be used on the remainder of the burial vaults in the cemetery. After I coat the remaining vaults, we will begin distressing and painting them. I can't wait to star that!

Thanks for all the compliments. Hearing them keeps us inspired and working hard!

damon carson
07-18-2010, 07:44 PM
All very cool and interesting! They are looking very awesome. I love crypts and tombs and such. I assume you own your building. What did your building used to be? It looks about like an old orscheln building. Nice size. Where are you located I would come visit if your not far away.
Your haunt is coming together nicely. How many years have you been doing your haunt or haunting?
Damon

N2SPOOKINU
07-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Someone was asking about your finials in an earlier post. Just thought I would share this website www.mcfrugal.com they have great pricing on them and they have great turn around time. If your building a cemetery fence. I would check them out. the haunt is looking awesome guys keep posting those pics! I love it.
Greg
Fearfest

Dalloween
07-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Very nice guys... I'm enjoying seeing your progress. Thanks for posting these.

Jim

danglin
07-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

Damon, we have a multi year lease, but depending upon our success this first year, purchasing the building might be an option. It was an old "Fred's" retail store that was only open for about 1-2 years. The building was built in 2006, and has been vacant for the last two years. The cool thing about the building is that we have turned the old pharmacy into our office and ticket window. The bullet proof glass of the old drive-thru window works great as a ticket window, and provides great security. Even though we are building everything in a permanant fashion, we are still doing it in 4X 8 sections, so it can be disassembled if needed. Granted, these coated walls will be more difficult, but it could be done.

In regards to our experience, Stewart and I are doing this professionally for the first time this year. We both have been studying the industry, going to tradeshows, doing large home haunts, and talking to haunt owners for many years, so that when we made the jump, we could do it the right way. The most beneficial learning experience for me so far in this journey has been all of the wonderful haunt owners who have been willing to take us in, give us advice, and take us on behind the scenes tours of their haunts. Shane from Disturbia, Tony from Spookywoods, and Paul from Atrox are just some of the owners who took us in last year and made us feel like we were part of their crews! I also helped out with a small outdoor hayride last year, and it taught me a lot, good and bad. It was a valuable learning experience. Kevin is very experienced, and has been running his haunt (Nightshade Manor) successfully in Memphis for many years. We have a great team of youth, energy and creativity, along with people who have a lot of business experience. Right now, the main reason we are seeing so much progress is that our construction/support crew has been awesome! Comprised of family members and friends, several of these guys have been working long hours with us to build and trim out these sets. I never knew how valuable a router with several bits and someone who knows how to use them could be!

We wanted to make sure that we had one of the safest haunted attractions in the country, and I think we are well on the way to doing that. We bought our 3rd truckload of fire retardant plywood last week, and we are building our crypts and walls out of this material. We have a nice sprinkler system with added heat sensors and strobes above our maze path, as well as a camera system with cameras in most rooms. We will have a central control room similar to those we have seen at several of the succesful haunts in the country.

We started receiving some of our props and supplies this week, and our Scarefactory order should be arriving in 3-4 weeks, so we are extremely excited. We still have a ton to do, but we will get there, one way or the other.

Damon, we are about 30 minutes West of Atlanta, and very easy to find. We would love for you to stop in during our first season, and we would welcome your criticism or advice.

Thanks for the comments, and I will continue to post pictures as we progress this week.

Dreamreaper
07-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Everything looks great, I love all the detail in your crypts. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress..

Nightmaresgate
07-19-2010, 08:55 AM
You guys are doing an amazing job! I definately plan to take a few hours off and come to your show this year. The detail you are putting into the show is inspiring.
We are over in Douglasville doing Nightmares Gate. At other shows I have been a part of we created a flyer with directions to other area haunts as people left the show. (They wouldn't let me do it at Six Flags last year)
Like Larry says I think good Haunts just build business for all of us. Our competitors are Movies, clubs, and other date night stuff.... not one another. I would like to put you guys on our flyer if that is ok with you. Either way thanks for raising the bar in West Georgia! Your guys are kicking ass!
Corwyn
Nightmare's Gate

damon carson
07-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Dewayne thank you for the reply. I would love to come down to Atlanta area and visit all of the great haunts in that area. But getting away that time of year would be difficult. Maybe all the great haunts like Netherworld and Disturbia and Atrox and you guys can persuade Leonard into bringing Hauntcon there? I dont think its ever been there. It would give me a reason to attend Hauntcon for the first time. LOL! Keep up the great work and keep posting those pics!
Damon

Slain
07-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Danglin,
Great looking haunt. I would like to come see it up close.. Thanks for the kind words about Atrox.
Glad we could help.. Hope everything goes well for you this year..

graystone
07-19-2010, 07:40 PM
You have tought me alot too my friend and thats good friends last a life time! The haunt is looking amazing! Shane and its I agree with Paul I wanna check it out to! Shane this time!

danglin
07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Paul/Shane/Damon,

We would be absolutely honored for you guys to stop by during our inaugural season!

Shane, right back at you! You know I will always have your back.

We have a looonggg ways to go to get this thing built, but with our will power and drive, there is no way we won't succeed. We want to do the industry proud and set a new standard for building a haunt the right way, as well as sharing and helping others with the process.

I also have to give Ben from Armstrong , Leonard Pickel, and Larry Kirchner a lot of
kudos for inspiring our team through the years. Ben has had such an awesome haunt for so long, and it has always been the highlight of Halloween for us in years past. In looking for a model of excellence in the haunt industry, we only have to look about an hour East towards Netherworld to find it! Leonard took about 2 hours to talk to my wife and I on a Sunday afternoon in Charlotte about 10 years ago, and I have had the haunting bug ever since. And Larry has inspired us with his monstrous haunt and through his dvds. His latest one on detailing is awesome! We will be using a lot of those techniques to detail the haunt.

Thanks for all the comments!

danglin
07-21-2010, 05:07 AM
We got a little done today, but it was one of those evenings where I had to make supply runs to Home Depot, so I personally didn't get much done in the haunt. luckily, Dad, Andy and Don got some more trim work done in one of the masaleum rooms, and 2 more crypts built. One of these crypts will have an animated door that opens slowly, setting up an actor scare.

Made a great find at an antique store today! Found some cool old tools that will be used to prop out the dental parlor in the Nightshade Manor portion of Folklore.
Gotta love Antique stores and yard sales!

Tonight we plan to spray the remaining crypts with dark gray and white pro-coat. If we get that accomplished, we will have built just over half of our above ground burial vaults. We are building all of the remaining vaults 8 foot wide, so that it goes more quickly.

danglin
07-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Here are some neat old tools that I found in an antique store today.

Speculo
07-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Thank you for the kind words. We will certainly be coming by to see the show, it is looking great! Nice score on the Antiques, I am always on the look out for cool stuff like that.

Thanks!

danglin
07-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Ben, We would be absolutely honored for you to stop by and check us out!

Here are some pictures of us coating the first 11 crypts. My dad built 3 more , but those won't be coated until we complete the remaining 10 or so crypts. As much of a pain as it is to spray this stuff, I only want to do it one more time!

Here is some good advice. Our crew had to do hours of prep work before spraying, so that the floor, ceiling tiles, other scenes, etc didn't get covered with this stuff. Therefore, we put up plastic and construction paper everywhere, and a lot of it was put up with staples. The funny thing about staples is, you don't realize how many you are using until you have to remove all of them!!! I had to pull out about 1000 staples that were used to hold up the construction paper. Only use just enough staples to hold the stuff up during spraying. Don't overdo it like you are preparing for a hurricane, because your fingers will pay for it later. We had to put paper between the crypts in between sprayings, because we were using different colors of the Pro-Coat. This stuff is great! It gives these plywood cyrpts a great concrete feel.

Anyway, enjoy.

danglin
07-22-2010, 08:40 PM
More crypts

danglin
07-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Still more

damon carson
07-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Very cool pics Dewayne. It looks like something out of Phantasm. I love it!
Damon

BruiseMuse
07-23-2010, 09:30 AM
The crypts are looking great!

Wickedmakeupartist
07-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Wow guys this is looking really really awsome. I hope I get a chance to be part of all of this.

brucejuice39
07-24-2010, 01:48 AM
Dewayne you're haunt is looking fantastic and I hope you'll keep posting the great pictures. I'm very interested in this Pro Kote system it gives amazing an effect on top without losing any of the overall detail.

danglin
07-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Damon, your right about Phantasm! That was one of the movies that truly shaped my love for all things haunted! The other was the Exorcist, which still freaks me out to this day.

Brucejuice, it all depends on how you spray it. If you spray it close to the surface, you will get a thicker finish with no detail. If you back off and spray a thinner layer, you will see more detail. There are several types of this stuff around. Larry Kirchner uses another type sprayed from a hopper in his detailing video (which I highly recommend).

I am getting ready to do some detail painting today, so I will post more pictures tonight.

danglin
07-24-2010, 09:28 PM
We finally started detailing some of our sets today. It is unreal how we spend 2 hours buying stuff at Home Depot, an hour to prep and get paint sprayers ready, and then you only get one hour of painting in. It seems like most days follow the scenario of 3/4 of the time prepping and cleaning up, and only 1/4 actually doing!
Anyway, here are the beginnings of our detail work. These scenes are no where close to being finished, but again, I want to show step by step progress for those of you who are interested.

danglin
07-24-2010, 09:37 PM
We really got some good ideas from watching larry kirchner's detailing video, and I got to put them to use today when aging these crypts. I used the little rolling cart to put all of my spray bottles on, which helped a lot. However, they kept falling over as I rolled the cart around, so the crew "pimped my paint cart", and used some cardboard tubes (the same ones we made the columns out of for the crypts) glued to some plywood to make me a 16 slot spray bottle holder. It worked great!

Don and Ricky cut out the vacu-formed rocks from some sheets Kevin had left over from Nightshade Manor, and they screwed them to the back wall of the cemetary. The only way our fire marshal let us use these is if we coat them with the pro-coat, just like we did the crypts. We will coat these, spray everything black, and then sponge paint them. After this step, we will bring in the trees, dirt, tombstones, coffins, and animations.

danglin
07-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Okay haunters, I need your honest opinion! We are trying to make our crypts look just like the ones you actually see in a cemetery. Some of the ones we saw in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery had a brownish green rust color all over the edges from years of water wear. One of the caretakers told us that the stains were caused by the materials the older crypts were made of. This is the reason that you will see some of these crypts with a lot of brownish green distressing, because I am trying to make them look realistic, and not like everyone else's. All of the crypts we saw during our research were covered in algae and green mold as well. Also, in our haunt, this cemetary has been overtaken by a sinister, evil force, so it should look evil and nasty!
What do you think? Criticism, comments.... be honest! Also, keep in mind, we have only just started on these crypts. They will be detailed, covered in moss and vines, with dirt, grass, and live trees around them. We are spending a lot of time on this cemetery, because we want it to be something that the patrons will remember.

Here's the latest pictures.

danglin
07-27-2010, 12:19 AM
A few more crypt pictures.

danglin
07-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Stewart's wife and son tackled the project of "rusting" the fence in our statue garden. They did a great job with it. Here are some Pictures:

Front Yard Fright
07-27-2010, 02:14 AM
You're definitely headed in the right direction! I would suggest maybe doing some lighter washes and just keep layering the staining. But like I said, you're definitely getting there!

Keep up the fantastic work - It's been great watching your progress!

HauntedOzarks
07-27-2010, 09:23 AM
This cemetery is looking fantastic. You definitely have a very talented team. The woodworking on the crypts is awesome. Very impressive!

damon carson
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Your masoleums are really looking great. But for the final finished look I would age or make some much darker than others. Because not everyone was buried at the same time of course. So that is where the different shades of aging would come in. I would google some images of cemetarys in New Orleans so you can get an idea of the contrasts between the mauseleums. You may have already thought of this but Im just suggesting this in case you havent. Keep up the great work! Cant wait to see final results.
Damon

Nightgore
07-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Dewayne,

Everything is looking very nice! I agree with Damon, maybe some of the crypts should be darker overall... like mentioned not everybody was buried at the same time! Also, how cool would it be if a tree grew up through a crypt and busted out the roof?

Mind if I ask, what exactly are the colors your using to paint/distress with? I always enjoy hearing about the color selections haunters use on their sets... if you don't want to post it, I understand!

Everything is looking great though! -Tyler

poison
07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
I have really enjoyed seeing the progress with the GREAT pics.
I can't even imagine how much you have spent on wood!!

If i could say one thing that might really help with the detailing.
Light the scenes how they will be seen when the haunt is open. This will help dial in the end result much faster.
GREAT JOB!

danglin
07-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys! I really do appreciate them. The crypts pictured aren't even half of the ones that we will have built, so the remainder will definately have more variety in the colors, with some darker and some lighter as suggested. The ones pictured aren't even close to being done, so even though the first several look similar now, they won't when I am done with them. I probably won't post any more pictures of these until they are nearly finished, as I am sure you are all tired of seeing just crypts!

Poison, you are absolutely correct about using the lighting! That is why I decided to just do the initial aging now, and then when I hang the camo netting and put up some lighting, I will continue the detailing.

Tyler, I sprayed a combination of watered down White, Black, Raw Umber, Dill, Molassas, Nutmeg, and Amber Shellac to create the different washes you see. I used about 1/6 paint to 5/6 water in a cheap spray bottle. Good point about the darker colors. I do plan to do that later in the process.

Zach, good point about the layering. Point taken.

Ozarks, you are absolutely correct!!! We are lucky to have the family and friends in place to build these. My father has been building these crypts at a pace of about 1 a day, and the rest of our friends and family have been designing and building some of the trim pieces, crosses, etc. that you see. It has definately been a team effort, and I think it will look spectacular when done!

Damon, you are right about doing the research. That's why we spent the weekend taking hundreds of pictures of the crypts and vaults at Sleepy Hollow Cemetery in New York. I also researched the New Orleans Cemeteries, like you suggested. Good ideas and thanks for the comments. I will definately try to add some variety to the colors and use some darker tones in the final distressing.

Rodney at Nightscream has built us an absolutely amazing animated version of our Tooth Fairy! As soon as we have pictures of the finished version I will post them.

Thanks for the comments everyone, and I will try to keep posting pictures when I can.

beardedbil
07-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey Dewayne,
Been following your thread... It really is so neat to see an attraction start from scratch. You have come such a long way from the start and it looks amazing. If you need any assistance with any of your lighting, programming, or facade effects, just let us know if we can help out at all.
Looks Killer so far!
Best,
Bill Rod.
Dark Tech Effects
www.darktecheffects.com

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Looking FANTASTIC! Keep up the great work, guys!

FablesStudios
07-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Everything is looking great!

Cant wait to see it in the lighting.

Pete
FS

danglin
07-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Here are just a few pics of the last few crypts being built. These will have to be trimmed out, and then one more crypt built tomorrow. This weekend all of the remaining crypts will be sprayed with Pro-Kote, as well as the rock wall. The vacuform rocks will be sponge painted, and then trees will be built into the slanted floor of the cemetery. Hopefully, all of this will get done this weekend.

My dad has been killing himself building these crypts each day (with help each night from the rest of the team). I can't thank him enough for his hard work. He has really brought this cemetery to "life"!

Nightgore
07-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Dewayne,

Everything looks great!! I just thought of this, but how cool would it be to build an endless hallway illusion into one if the crypts?! Made to look like a neverending run of caskets/crypts/vaults... Idk... Just thought it'd be cool! Keep up the great work!! -Tyler

danglin
08-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Nightgore, good idea. We actually have an endless hallway illusion that will be built in one of our mausaleum rooms.

Here are some updated pictures from this weekend. We got a lot done, considering that we were holding our actor and makeup artist auditions all day yesterday and today.

We got the rest of the crypts trimmed and sprayed, and now we can finish aging and distressing the crypts.

The first set of pictures are of Stewart and Don spraying the final crypts and rock walls in the cemetery, and the other pictures are of added trimwork and other progress from this weekend.

danglin
08-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Progress from Saturday

danglin
08-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Pictures of last crypts before and after Pro Kote spray.

damon carson
08-01-2010, 10:18 PM
What else does your haunt consist of ? With so many crypts and endless cemetary do you have much room for other things. Im sure you do but Im interested to see or hear what else you plan to have. It all is looking very cool. Thanks for all the picks. You guys are really going all out. Keep up the great job!
Damon

danglin
08-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Damon,
Thanks for the comments. You are right, based on the pictures I am posting it probably does seem like all we are doing is building one large cemetery! We actually will have many more types of scenes, but our focus the last few weeks has been on this cemetery, because it will be one of our premier areas. We knew this area would take the most labor, sweat and blood to build, so we really wanted to document the process. Also, a lot of the other areas we are working on are in such tight quarters that it is difficult to get good pictures of them, so when I post them, you can't hardly tell what you are looking at. Plus, most of our other rooms and areas we cannot finish building until we get our animations in. Therefore, I will start posting pictures of those rooms when we get the rest of the walls up.
I will try to get some pictures posted of some of the other areas as we build them. Nightshade Manor will probably be most of the way built out this week, so will try to get some pictures of that area of the haunt as we erect the walls.

danglin
08-08-2010, 07:36 PM
It's been a few days since I had a chance to post any pictures, so here are some of what we have been working on th elast few days. We got several more rooms of Nightshade Manor built, and we got our first large, live tree moved into the graveyard.

danglin
08-08-2010, 07:42 PM
More Pictures

danglin
08-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Still more pictures.

danglin
08-08-2010, 07:52 PM
A few more pics.

Pumpkin King
08-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I love everything! Great detail in the house portion and awesome graveyard aswell! Wish I had a haunt half that awesome... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Darkangel
08-08-2010, 09:04 PM
It's looking great the only thing I'm not liking is the stone walls. The stones are too far apart and it would mean way too much mortar lines. Should have mostly stones and thin mortar to look more realistic...

DA

Pumpkin King
08-08-2010, 09:33 PM
It's looking great the only thing I'm not liking is the stone walls. The stones are too far apart and it would mean way too much mortar lines. Should have mostly stones and thin mortar to look more realistic...

DA

I like the stones that far apart. In the dark it would be very creepy and otherworldly...

Darkangel
08-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Otherworldly? I don't think he's going for the alien theme, I assume he's not looking for a floating stones look in a mausoleum scene.... It looks okay but its not realistic as a stone wall, mortar should be very thin like you see with bricks. Imagine a brick wall that was half brick half mortar? Wouldn't work in that case either.

DA

Nightgore
08-09-2010, 01:24 AM
I think it looks awesome!! Maybe it's purely a concrete wall with segmented stone just to add a hint of style!? Like alot of modern walls! ...or a haunter doing the best with what they got!! I like it and love the overall look/feel of the attraction!!

Dewayne, keep up the hard work... It's paying off! Thanks for all the updates, awesome seeing this haunt come together!! -Tyler

damon carson
08-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I like the look of the stone wall myself. I think it looks right with the shape of stones on it. You can always add moss and vines ect to it. That would help fill it in. And you could paint cracks in various places. Haunt is really looking great guys! Loving the photos.
Damon

Dark Scares
08-09-2010, 10:47 PM
It looks great , nice detail!! It is going to be quite the haunt when you are done.

danglin
08-10-2010, 05:43 AM
Dark Angel, Tyler is right, we were doing this out of necessity. My preference would have been to just use the vacuform rocks as a sheet, not cut them out and install them seperately. However, our fire marshall had different ideas. The only way that we were allowed to use vaccuform panels in our haunt was if we had small pieces of it spread out across fire retardant plywood, and then coated with the Pro-Kote spray. When we submitted several different samples of walls to the fire marshall with vaccuform stones on them, this was the only configuration that passed. In the set up we have, there is enough fire retardant plywood between the stones to allow the flame to extinguish when the bale of burning hay was pulled away by the fire marshall. After Transworld, we were planning to order about 150 sheets of vacu panels from one of the main vendors. However, due to the extreme tests the fire marshalls put the material through, we wound up just using some rock panels that Kevin had left from Nightshade Manor.

Besides, the stone wall will barely be noticable by the time we are done. Keep in mind, we are trying to show photos of each step along the way, and none of the pictures we have shown so far are finished products. We are in the process of adding several large, live trees in front of the stone wall in the cemetary, in addition to dirt, moss,grass, vines, urns, and all of the other wonderful props that we are waiting to come in. We have a huge order of inherently fire retardant artificial foliage from Autograph Foliage that will be used to finish this set out, and the rock wall will basically be like a coat of "primer" on a painted wall.

I will post some more pictures this coming weekend, after we have more trees up in the cemetary. Starting Monday, we are expecting several of our large orders of props to come in, such as those from Dark Raven Designs, Scarefactory, Haunted Enterprises, etc. Everything will start to come together soon.

We had actor and makeup artist auditions the last two weekends, and I must say that I am impressed with the talent that showed up! We have filled all of our primary roles, and now we are just looking for backups.

Thanks again for all the compliments and criticisms (honestly, we learn the most from those!).

Darkangel
08-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Like I said it still looks cool I'm sorry I forgot you mentioning you couldn't use vacuform your fire Marshall is too tough. With good lighting it will look just as good. Vacuform is such a great resource and it looks great so hopefully your FM wil lighten up for some allowances once you have run a safe show after a season or two...

Good luck!

DA

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-10-2010, 11:42 AM
With all those tests he put the vacuform through...I am supprised that he let you put real trees in there.

Looking great, guys!

danglin
08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Erick,
The fire marshall said we could use live trees, but there are restrictions. They have to have at least a 6" wide base, because an older, denser tree will not catch on fire as easily. Also, there can be no green leaves left on the tree. We are cutting the small branches and leaves off of the trees, and when our Autograph Foliage order comes in, we will install the tree limbs we ordered by drilling holes into the real tree. These limbs are inherently fire retardant (IFR), and we have gotten these approved by the fire marshall prior to purchasing them.

Keep in mind, each state's fire marshall will be different.

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Keep in mind, each state's fire marshall will be different.

Exactly my point!
Dont get angry when it comes to things like your vacu issue. You may have restrictions, but I have heard of far worse! The vacu walls look great. I can already see them in my head with your foliage and details in front!

We cannot have live trees in our haunt.

Great work guys. Cant wait to see more photos!

danglin
08-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Theres not a lot of pictures here, but we have made a lot of progress during the last several days. We have most of the dirt in the graveyard, but a lot will be moved around when the animations start arriving this week. We have added a few trees, but we have many more to add. We won't add any more vines or foliage until after some of the animations are set in place. We have props and animations scheduled to arrive from about 6 different vendors this week, so I should have some really good pictures to post this time next week.

Here is some of the progress made recently. In this first set of pictures, none of these statues are put into place yet. They are simply gathered into the general area where they will be placed. But, they were so cool looking, I had to include pictures of them. A friend of ours is loaning these to us for our statuary scene. The vampire is only hanging there because there happened to be a good 2x4 in the corner. He will not go in this room.

Our Scarefactory mourning angel will be hidden amongst these statues.

danglin
08-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Here are some pictures with the first stages of dirt added, before the major props and animations arrive. More trees will be added, as well as foliage.

danglin
08-17-2010, 11:52 PM
You would think that 75 forty pound bags of dirt would go further! I need about that much more for the graveyard.

danglin
08-17-2010, 11:58 PM
When we are done with putting in all props and foliage into the graveyard, we will put up the cemetery fence. Stewart's family has done a wonderful job aging and rusting the gates to the crypts, and they will do the fence as well. They really made it look old and creepy!

We are getting the base coats down in mausoleum rooms, and we will be finishing these before long.

danglin
08-18-2010, 12:10 AM
I just couldn't stand it anymore! Stewart got his Hummer wrapped a while back for advertising, so I had to do the same with my truck.

SomeThingInTheIce
08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Man, that looks great and may I say that your haunt looks INSANE! You guys are going all out, please keep posting the pics.

I just couldn't stand it anymore! Stewart got his Hummer wrapped a while back for advertising, so I had to do the same with my truck.

MindWerxKMG
08-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I just wanted to post some close ups of the fantastic detail work that our scenic artist henry is doing on the outside of the mausoleum.

HauntedPaws
08-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Can u disclose your budget?

HauntedPaws
08-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Do you need any permits to have a vehicle wrap?

MindWerxKMG
08-20-2010, 07:13 PM
A few more.

terrormasue
08-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Wonderful artwork both in the building and in the painting!! Love the truck! I had mine wrapped also for our haunt. You don't need a permit here in Texas. Absolutely love the pics. Your haunt looks amazing and very professional. I also checked out your website, wonderful job, again very professional!! Keep up the great work. I wish you and your team the best this haunt season.

coasterfreak63
08-22-2010, 12:04 AM
The haunt is looking fantastic the details are perfect.

Your truck looks great, if you dont mind me asking how much was it to wrap your car? I've always been curious about that.

danglin
08-22-2010, 03:08 PM
The vehicle wraps work great as mobile billboards. It costs around $3000, depending on the size of your vehicle and the shape. Here is a picture of Stewart's Hummer also. The vehicles have gotten the haunt a lot of extra attention. I drove it to Hooter's on Thursday, and the Hooter's girls had a fit over it. They kept taking turns getting their picture made with it, and now they want to do some promotions with us. It comes in handy to have the wrapped vehicles to when we go to marketing events and to talk to sponsors.

I will try to post some pictures of this weekends progress later, as well as some or our toys that came in.

coasterfreak63
08-22-2010, 06:33 PM
do you know how long they will last?

They look fantastic on both vehicles.

SomeThingInTheIce
08-22-2010, 07:58 PM
The Hooters girls or the wrap.lol.

do you know how long they will last?

They look fantastic on both vehicles.

danglin
08-22-2010, 08:22 PM
The wrap should last several years. However, we may get them redone every year or so, if we change our icon character. We had a friend of ours, Hank at AAA Signcrafters do ours, and he did a great job.

We had a lot of friends and family help out this weekend, so I tried to take a few pictures of the small crew who is doing all of our great work.

danglin
08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
We have to give kudos to Nightscream Studios. We talked to Rodney about creating a customized "toothfairy" animation, based upon our icon charactor, Lavinia Nightshade. We absolutely love what he and his crew created! It arrived
at our building last week (ahead of schedule!), and it was packed very securely in a crate.

In opening our first haunt, I have been very stressed out over our props and animations not arriving when vendors have said they would, and over not being able to get in contact with them. I must say that out of every vendor we have dealt with, Rodney and Nightscream Studios has been the best to deal with. He has been in constant contact with us, tweaking the set up of the animation to our requests, and trying to make sure that it meets our requirements.

Thanks Rodney!

damon carson
08-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Is that a flying animation w moving wings like his vampires? Looks very cool! Haunt is coming together nicely. Love the cemetary.
Damon

freak 'n' stein
08-24-2010, 09:04 AM
I HAVE to say...that prop is wickeddd!!!! Nothing like a custom icon character turned animation :)

Raycliff Manor
08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Woah! You just hit on my biggest fear... the dentist!!!:eek:

Kel

MindWerxKMG
08-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes it is a flying animation similar to his vampire.

Is that a flying animation w moving wings like his vampires? Looks very cool! Haunt is coming together nicely. Love the cemetary.
Damon

danglin
08-25-2010, 01:13 AM
It's a lot of fun when the cool props start arriving, especially for us first-timers! We received several orders during the last two days, including props from Scarefactory, Nightscream Studios, Poison Props, Haunted Enterprises, and Dark Raven Designs.

Here are some pictures of our Scarefactory Hallway to Hell that we had special built so that it fit in with the cellar part of the Nightshade Manor portion of our haunt. The last picture shows a spark fence section of the hallway, and it has water and air scares built in.

danglin
08-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Here are pictures of some of our other Scarefactory props that arrived today. This was our small order, and our big order is supposed to ship this week.

danglin
08-25-2010, 01:35 AM
We seem to be over-ridden with spiders! Part of our Dark Raven order came in. The rest of the order should be in this week or next.

danglin
08-25-2010, 01:41 AM
We had the Scarefactory T-rex archway changed to an actor scare, minus the
T-rex. It came out very "Green", compared to what we saw at the show. Here pictures of it, and some more install pictures of what we got done on the hallway to Hell today.

danglin
08-25-2010, 01:47 AM
The Nightshade Manor portion of our haunt is coming around. Here are some pictures of the facade being painted/coated, and of some of the rooms where the walls have been set. We are concentrating on getting the walls anchored and plumbed, and then we will prop out the rooms.

danglin
08-25-2010, 01:53 AM
The statuary room, which will be the first room in our haunt, and where the ghost bust will go through its routine, is almost ready to prop out. The statues were moved back into it, but they still have to be placed properly. In the middle of all of these statues will be our mourning angel prop, which should blend in nicely.

danglin
08-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Here are some pictures of progress made in our other mausoleum rooms, including the endless hallway illusion and drop portrait hallway.

danglin
08-25-2010, 02:03 AM
Here are pictures of the progress being made in our drop portrait hallway. Almost every portrait will be a drop portrait, throughout about a 20 foot stretch of winding hallway. This will give the actors lots of options to scare the groups from different spots. We have an elaborate set of actor hallways built that give the actors the freedom to change up their scare point from group to group, keeping them from getting bored from the same routine. We are also starting to build our actor dressing rooms and makeup area.

Dreamreaper
08-25-2010, 09:06 AM
You guys are doing an outstanding job. You sure have a lot going on. Thanks for sharing

Dark Scares
08-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Fantastic Job!

Badger
08-26-2010, 10:25 AM
AWESOME pics. I have GOT to come down and see this if I possibly can...

soulhasdied
08-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Haunt isLooking good..I like the wrap too Vehicle wraps are a great advetising tool plus
when tax time comes its a advertising write off.

danglin
08-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Everyone, thanks for the comments!

Today the crew built up the wall system around the Hallway to Hell, and our artist started working his magic on our crypts. Here are some more progress pictures. The quality of the pictures is bad, because I took them with my cell phone. These pictures don't do his artwork justice! Just what he did on the Scarefactory T-rex archway was amazing. It was completely green, so he went back and brought out the colors as we wanted them to look.

danglin
08-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Here are some of the crypts that got "aged" today.

danglin
08-26-2010, 11:50 PM
More crypts getting detailed

jakprintsHAUNT
08-30-2010, 07:24 AM
This place is looking better everyday. I really may have to do some major weekend roadtrips this season to see and act and some of the great new and revamped places popping up!

Mike "Pogo" Hach

Hauntedsurfer808
08-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Wow! It's starting to look awesome! It must feel good to see it finally come together. I see you have two 10' sections of the hallway to hell unit, I was wondering if that wall /door divider between the two sections you built was a suggested idea from Scarefactory to hide the "dirty work" and keep customer from losing a limb? Or can you program the two hallway to Hell sections to move in sync with each other so that wall section wouldn't be necessary? Also, is it noisy?

Sorry for all the questions, we are starting to prep for the 2011 season. Hallway to hell was something we were interested in. This is the first time I ever saw pictures of it outside the Scarefactory catalog, in a real "working" environment. Thanks!

danglin
09-01-2010, 03:24 AM
As I have posted on this thread before, we have been working with some very demanding fire marshals. We have met numerous times with local and state fire marshals to submit wall panels for burn tests, get plans approved,etc. On Monday, we had our first follow up walk through, and they were happy with everything that we have done! They had no problems with anything that we have done, and of course, they shouldn't, considering the effort that we have put into making this place one of the safest haunts in the industry. Most of our walls are not only made out of fire retardant plywood, but also coated with layers of black intumescent paint from NY Fire Shield, and then top coated with Pro-Coat. We also built a 4 foot wide perimeter emergency aisle around the entire haunt, which will be tricked out with tons of the glowing emergency signing and arrows. The only thing extra we are being required to do at this point is to add a few more strobes over the path of our maze. We had already added a ton, but there were a few corners in the path where the alarm strobes weren't as visible, so our security company will have to add a few more. This was such a relief to our team to hear that getting our C.O. will not be a problem, and now we just have to have them come back right before opening for a final walk-through.

We have almost all the walls built now, with the exception of those that we can't install until our vortex tunnel comes in. I will post more pictures as soon as I can.

I still remember thinking that we were screwed back in February, when the state fire marshal walked into our haunt for the first time and stated that he "hated haunted houses!!!" Thanks to our team's hard work (and many thousands of dollars!), we have changed this fire marshal's attitude towards haunted houses!

Haunted Surfer, to answer your question about the Hallway, we built the walls between the sections and at each end for safety reasons, and due to the fact that I don't think that we want both sections moving in sync with each other. I will post some completed pictures in a few days of the room that we built around the hallway, so that you can see what we did. It may be middle of next week before I can do so, but I will post them. We are building a special guard at the beginning and end of each section to protect people's hands as well. We have not been able to function the hallway yet, because we haven't installed our primary air compressor yet. This beast uses a lot of air, and our rolling vertical 150 PSI compressor was only able to help us to get it to the standing position, at which point we braced it with 2x4's until we get the new compressor installed later this week. Unless you have a very large rotary screw compressor and storage tanks like we are getting, you may need a dedicated air supply just for this prop alone! It has some massive cylinders pushing those walls.

mudsticky
09-01-2010, 03:38 AM
hi i work at you'r haunt in memphis & i have to say u have a fist class haunt there at you'r new place

Hauntedsurfer808
09-01-2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for answering my questions, man that is a beast! Are the 150 PSI compressors the ones that comes with the hallway to hell effect? Are they not able to handle the work load? Or do you want to beef up the effect by getting new (bigger?) compressors?

Trust me, I know all about fire marshals. I come from a family of fire fighters, three of whom are or were fire marshals. I'm not sure about where you are from, but here being a FM is not one of those jobs that people are dying to have (no pun intended)
It's like being a cop and having only a "desk" job.

So FM (inspectors) don't usually have a sunny disposition to begin with LOL! (those are not my words, but my uncle who is a FM) They can be tough, but they know right away if you (as a haunt owner) done your homework. If you have, it won't be to bad. They understand your limitations and they will work with you. But if you haven't , "OUCH!" Lord help you!

MindWerxKMG
09-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Here are a few overhead shots of the haunt panning from right to left.

MindWerxKMG
09-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Manor facade distressing begins.

MindWerxKMG
09-09-2010, 01:02 PM
The paint job on the crypt gates was horrible. The entire thing was olive green in color so our scenic painter, Henry, repainted it for us. Here are some pics of the Angel Sculpture garden and sewer themed Scarefactory Hallway to Hell.

damon carson
09-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Your haunt is really coming together. It looks great!
Damon

Raycliff Manor
09-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Kevin, everything is looking incredible! If it looks that awesome in the light, I can't even imagine how cool it's going to look in haunt lighting! Wish I could make a trip out to see it in person! Have a safe and hugely successful season my friend!

Kel

Twin Locusts
09-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Crypts look great!

danglin
09-17-2010, 11:25 PM
We had our final inspection for our Certificate of Operation today by the local fire marshals, the state fire marshal, and the local electrical inspectors. We passed, and are cleared to open next week!

We all feel like a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders, and now we can focus on propping out the rest of the rooms. I will be posting some pictures soon.

brad
09-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Good job Dewayne!!

I cant wait to get out there on the first weekend of November to check the place out.

Good luck this season.

danglin
09-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Brad,
I hope your season is a success as well, and I look forward to seeing you in November. Before you head this way, shoot me a pm

I will try to post a few last pictures tonight and this weekend, and then that will be it, since we open this week.

graystone
09-17-2010, 11:38 PM
My friend are we not going to have alot to talk about? Looks great I so look forward to being where I want to be next year with all my extra time! The place rocks I am so glad for you guys! Shane and it's friends for life! Shane this time.

danglin
09-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Shane,
Between the issues you have had getting Disturbia off the ground, and the issues we have had getting Folklore up and running, we could talk for days! But, we are almost there, and hopefully we will both have a great season!

Here are some updated pictures:

danglin
09-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Here are some progress pictures of our endless hallway illusion being built.

danglin
09-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Here are some progress pictures of our facade to the Nightshade Manor portion of our haunt:

danglin
09-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Here are some pictures of some of our Scarefactory items getting installed:

danglin
09-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Here are some more progress pictures:

danglin
09-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Here are some pictures of our spider room.

danglin
09-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Here is the beginning stages of the foliage being added to the graveyard and crypt area.

danglin
09-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Some of these larger tombstones were used from Pet Cemetary 2. We have props from other horror movies as well, including Halloween 1 and 2, and Life Force.

Dreamreaper
09-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Looks great I like the half covered bones in graveyard.

the ogre
09-19-2010, 10:18 AM
ive been following the progress but this is my first time commenting on the haunt. all i can say is WOW! watching everything come together via your pics is fantastic. absolutly great work! cant wait to see the end result.

Tim

danglin
09-26-2010, 12:31 PM
After Folklore's first weekend open to the public, all I can say is WOW! Opening up a haunted attraction has got to be one of the hardest things that my partners and I have ever done, and these past few months have been really tough.

However, when that first customer laid that cash on the counter for a ticket, it made it all worth while. Then, when we heard those first screams, and especially when we had to get a mop to clean up the trail of urine where not 1, but 2 customers peed all over themselves at the same time, we realized that our dreams were coming true.

It feels great to be part of this industry, and we want to thank all of you who have helped us and given us advice that has enabled us to get to this point. I also want to thank my partners, Stewart and Kevin, for making this dream come true.

poison
09-26-2010, 02:09 PM
LOL!
I love it when you have to break out the mop!
Very rewarding scaring the pee out of peeple!

MindWerxKMG
09-26-2010, 07:13 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs336.ash2/61619_130975316951135_113379885377345_167631_22739 65_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=167623&id=113379885377345)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs336.ash2/61619_130975313617802_113379885377345_167630_62318 13_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=167623&id=113379885377345)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs004.ash2/33581_130975193617814_113379885377345_167618_60158 32_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=167623&id=113379885377345)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs336.ash2/61619_130975323617801_113379885377345_167633_67580 67_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=167623&id=113379885377345)

MindWerxKMG
09-26-2010, 07:20 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs678.snc4/61809_130976426951024_113379885377345_167654_24329 52_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=167623&id=113379885377345)http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs656.snc4/61619_130975333617800_113379885377345_167636_25880 36_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=167623&id=113379885377345)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs676.snc4/61619_130975336951133_113379885377345_167637_26693 63_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=167623&id=113379885377345)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs687.snc4/62751_130976356951031_113379885377345_167644_81419 62_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=167623&id=113379885377345)

soultrkr
09-26-2010, 07:32 PM
The photos look good but do not compare with seeing it in person.
You guys did a great job. We will be back next year for sure.
I hope you guys have a great season.

danglin
10-01-2010, 12:42 AM
We wanted to thank Ben and his crew from Netherworld for coming out to Folklore tonight. We have learned a lot from Ben over the years, and his haunt has always been an inspiration to us. It was truly an honor to have him and his crew to go through our haunt tonight!

Also, we wanted to say thanks to Craig and his crew from Nightmare's Gate for dropping by last weekend. We will have to make it out to visit both of these awesome haunts on one of our off nights soon.

It is always so great to have haunters come through and give you honest feedback on your attraction. We are blessed to have some real class acts such as these haunts for neighbors!

danglin
10-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Also wanted to thank the crew from 13 stories and Horror Hill for coming out last weekend. Thanks for the feedback, and we look forward to visiting your haunt.

Speculo
10-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Thank you all for being such great hosts and for the lights on tour. The amount of time and money you have put into this event is staggering! Seeing it come together on Hauntworld and now in person was a real treat. Hope you guys have a great season and I hope to see you soon.

Thanks!

Dark Attraction
10-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Dewayne and crew,

on behalf of the 13 Stories/Horror Hill crew, i want to thank you for your hospitality. The show looks awesome!

Have a great season...

Joe

Nightmaresgate
10-06-2010, 09:38 AM
We had a wonderful time. You have done an amazing job. And I am still wearing my Folklore wristband by the way!
Corwyn/Craig of Nightmare's Gate

MindWerxKMG
10-14-2010, 07:49 AM
http://www.thebackstagebeat.com/2010/10/%E2%80%9Cfolklore-haunted-house%E2%80%9D-review-and-pictures/

http://www.lifewithlisa.com/best-haunts-in-atlanta-folklore-haunted-house

soultrkr
10-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Kevin glad to hear things are picking up there and the reviews still do not do it justice. Sounds like the actors all have gotten into their grooves.
Makes me very excited for next year when we do our yearly trip to haunts in the ATL area. Now if you guys decide to do a year around thing and have need of my insane cackle or just need an extra actor to help out on a weekend feel free to drop me a line soultrkr@gmail.com. as long as I am not in a show week here at our local theater I am always happy to get to be a diffrent character or build a diffrent personality archetype to add to my mental collection.

Howard