PDA

View Full Version : what in your opinoin

IndyHaunter
04-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Well im starting a haunt this Halloween and i was wondering what the best way 2 entertain guests waiting to get in

HauntedMemphis
04-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't think there is a "best way". A lot will depend on your facility, your budget, and your skill set. House of Shock for example does huge pyrotechnic shows. Some haunts project (or use screens instead) videos setting up the haunt. Many use actors stalking people in the line. Others have live bands, celebrity appearances, midways, or other things to keep people entertained outside the haunt.

Allen H
04-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I have become a fan of stand up comics working the Que lines. Give them a stage and a mike and have them write a halloween/ costume/ haunted house routine. It is a great way to keep levity in the line and break down the walls customers build up sometimes.
Also If the comic has haunt related material it can tell your rules or reinforce them in a round about way. I also did a top ten list every now and then of the oddest items lost in the show. If I had a projecter and a spot to project on then I would pretend to show pictures from a lost cell phone, this can be a great routine. Load the pictures in a way and add "funny/odd" shots into the regular pics.
Allen H

WelchWitch
04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
I enjoy watching old time horror movies on a big screen while in Que. My favorite if Young Frankenstein with Gene Wilder. You can make a screen frame pretty easily.

IndyHaunter
04-06-2010, 09:18 PM
thx for all the ideas i think i know what im going to do now

Dreamreaper
04-06-2010, 09:58 PM
We played the first Halloween movie last year on a 4ft x 8ft screen, OOOPS be careful we forgot about the topless seen and it was brought to our attention.

MovieRelics
04-06-2010, 11:29 PM
I hate to be a stickler with everyone, but it's kinda illegal to be playing movies on a projector for the public unless you've gotten permission from the film studio. Same with playing CD's. I know there is a small chance of getting caught, but it's there and I have seen it happen. You better off doing something live like a stageshow, que line entertainers, etc... to be safe.

jakprintsHAUNT
04-07-2010, 05:11 AM
I do a lot of work with bands, record labels, and film studios, and there are a lot of loopholes and gray area with things like publicly showing movies/playing recordings. If you advertise that you are showing films, playing recordings, use promotional unaltered art from the work or are charging separate admission for it specifically, then that is definitely a no-no without permission or licenses obtained unless it is public domain (which many works such as Night Of The Living Dead are, at least to my knowledge last I looked into it).

Then from there public showing or playing films or audio are going to be based on the individual films and works. Some are restricted only to not be shown without permission if profit is being obtained directly for the usage of that material, and that is where a lot of the gray area begins. There is also the option of showing/playing parts of or altered versions of the films/recordings which also has limitations based on the license of the work involved.

All in all, if you are going to show films/play recordings, if you dont want the chance of huge fines on the off chance that a studio exec may be bringing their children through your attraction or see your ad in a newspaper on a business trip, research the works in question, without contacting the company that owns the rights directly first...as 90% of the time they will try to get some kind of fee out of you even if their rights dont prohibit your usage of the material for its purpose, because the average Joe doesnt know any better. Some license agreements or rights agreements for works can be hundreds of pages long...and most people dont want to take the time to wade through all that for their specific info. Unlrelated but similar scenario, anyone in close contact with costume shops knows about the famous Barney copyright/trademark issues from around 10 years ago. Two 3 inch binders thick of legal mumbo jumbo that more or less prohibits you from even thinking about a "purple and green dinosaur or lizard like creature/animal/puppet/costumed human/etc..." without coughing up some kind of fee for it.

General rule I would follow is more likely the newer or bigger the work is, less chance you are going to have of it being OK to publicly use it without having to pay something or take out a temporary or viewing/public listening license on it. It costs studios a lot in lawyers and legal fees to cover ALL the loopholes, so the bigger it is and more money it has or is making the better the bases are likely to be covered...lol.

These are facts I have gotten through interaction with people in the biz, anyone feel free to correct if my info is a tad off.

Mike "Pogo" Hach

Rich Hanf
04-07-2010, 05:35 AM
You guys are certainly correct regarding the use of movies without having gotten permission, paid a fee, etc. The risks are high especially when there are competing haunts in the area who wouldn't mind dropping a dime on you.

Wjhat I did...which took a little time to do but is perfectly legal...is made a 2 hour DVD of the trailers they play before a movie. They were horror trailers of course. I might go so far as to say that this is better suited for your line entertainment than an actual movie as your customers will never be on line long enough to watch an entire flick. With each trailer being around 3-5 min it works perfectly as people move through the line to your entrance. H