PDA

View Full Version : Natl Haunters vs Hauntcon

Rich Hanf
04-07-2010, 01:32 PM
National Haunters or Hauntcon Pt 1

With the feel good love fest that was Transworld in the books for this year…and with both Natl. Haunters and hauntcon just 3 weeks away it is decision time for many haunters out there.

Of course I have a vested interest in seeing Natl. Haunters succeed seeing as they have asked me to bring in a Medieval Weapons of War exhibit. It is really cool as between Weapons Mistress Cheryl and myself, we have a ton of great weaponry. She will hold it up for you to see, explain how it was used, and then actually pass it around for you to hold and feel for yourself. Sharp, dangerous pointed weapons…what could possibly go wrong? LOL

That said, I went to both sites to do a comparison of the two shows and it seems like Natl. Haunters will have a kick ass convention. Now I’m not saying that seeing the big attractions in Orlando isn’t cool but they will always be there. For sheer entertainment value, networking value, and educational value…Natl haunters walks away with the gold belt…by KNOCKOUT.

I will try to keep opinion out of it. I’ll just try to do a side by side comparison.
Damn…this is a lot of work

As of Wednesday April 07 at 11am

Natl. Haunters has over 100 Vendors on the show floor
Hauntcon has 31 as per their website.
Hauntcon is still trying to sign on vendors. I know this as I received an e-mail from them trying to sign my Haunted Productions Inc.
With 3 weeks to go Natl Haunters has 3x the vendors

Educational Seminars

Let’s begin where it counts…Safety. Natl Haunters is clearly leading the way by offering not just regular safety classes…but classes on codes, standards, life safety, fires, disasters…all given by the Office of the Pa Fire Marshal…AND THEY ARE ALL FREE.
That’s it…nothing else to say…pack your bags. See you at NHC. You can take all the make up, foam carving, scare seminars you want…the FREE Fire Marshal seminars are the ones that count. Agreed? In addition…there will be a seminar on MAKE-UP Safety…Toxic Makeup etc…THAT AGAIN IS FREE. Ahhhh…why are you still reading this? Why aren’t you buying your tickets?

Now for the other seminars

From Wood to Castle Rock…Natl Haunters Only. I’ll say it in just two words
Ricky Dick. Need I say more?

Scares without gore…Natl. Haunters Only.

Dark Arts Advertising w/ Dick Terhune…Both NHC & HC he is appearing at both!!!

Bloody & Gory Make Up…now that’s the ticket. Everyone loves BLOOD. Both NHC & HC are offering make up seminars featuring BLOOD…BUT…only NHC is featuring the Legendary Long Island NY make up Artist Steve the Bloody. Come on…with a name like that you gonna tell me you don’t want to see him? He was there last year and although he didn’t win the make up wars, he certainly got BLOOD EVERYWHERE…bring out the mops. The HC bloody seminar seems to be more geared towards movie make up. Steve the BLOODY has years of actual…practical…Haunted House experience. He rules…all others drool!!!

Fog Seminar…HC Only. Hint…press the “fog” button on the controller  Next…

Detailing…Faux Finish etc. Both NHC and HC However…only NHC has detailing Gurus Mike “Tattoo” Krausert…Nick “Shady B” Wesseley…and to help talk about lighting your detailed creation is Bert Zelton of Mini Spotlight. You might have heard of Terror on the Fox…Bad Boys Scenic Design…Nightmare New England / Spookyworld. Well…these are the guys. These guys are Real Haunters and industry Icons not movie set guys. Add to that, the long time Creative Director of the New York Renaissance Faire talking about atmospheric design and sets and once again NHC wins out over HC. Read all about it…foam carving, detailing, distressing, different finishes and what to use to achieve virtually look you want. It’s all there.

Learning the “Thriller Dance” NHC only. Talk about a fun time. Now you can learn how to build tombstones, mausoleums, learn how to detail, finish, and distress them…and then use them in your “Thriller Graveyard” as your crew provides on line entertainment second to none.

Using 3-D Projection. Good for online entertainment for certain but can be used in the haunt as well. Saw it in the Darkness actually. HC only.

Airbrush…Both NHC and HC are offering airbrush seminars …with one big difference. The NHC seminar is airbrush makeup…the HC seminar is airbrush to detail inside your haunt. I know that when the heat is on and I have dozens of actors to get into costume, into make up, and into their scare spots that an airbrush artist that is good and fast is worth his/her weight in gold. This is what you will learn at the NHC seminar. The choice is yours but in my opinion it’s another round for NHC.

Real quick…NHC has Building an online presence…HC does not
NHC has X-Treme Marketing / Networking…HC does not
NHC has Tent Haunts…HC does not
NHC has mold making..HC does not
NHC has Guerilla Marketing…HC does not
NHC has bringing in customers…HC does not
NHC has Cheap Scares by Haunt Legend John “Prof. Nightmare” Denley
HC does not
NHC has LED Lighting…HC does not

HC has Stilt Walkers (just seen at Transworld)…NHC does not
HC has Haunts in the Woods…a good one…NHC does not
HC has using video…NHC does not

Both NHC and HC seem to have a good amount of actor training, retaining, character development etc. but only NHC deals with actor auditioning as well. Your choice

Both NHC and HC seem to have Pneumatics covered but NHC has Pneumatic Safety as well.

ONLY NHC HAS ME!!! Rich Hanf LOL I know…big surprise there Ha ha

That’s it for this comparison post. There will be many more to follow. I don’t care which convention you go to…as long as it is NHC…LOL Later H

Brandon_K
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
You didn't seem to touch on tours at all. Due to running our own haunts, many of us are only able to see tours in the off season. Larry always puts together an amazing tour schedule and it's always fun to see what extra's he's thrown in along the way.

There is no doubt that they are both great industry events, but I think it foolhardy that they were both scheduled on the same weekend. It seems odd that PAGoH (then EHC then NHC) was always after HC until 2008 when it then seemed to always appear on the same weekend as HC. Sorry, I just see it as Shoot.Self.Foot.

Rich Hanf
04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Yes Brandon...the post was just too long as it was so I called Pt 01 Much more on the tours...side entertainment, mini shows, etc comin at ya...but let'sigest this one first

The Nightmare Factory
04-07-2010, 02:57 PM
And for those who can't make it to either of those there is the upstart con this year! The West Coast Haunters Convention.
Workshop Topics announced -

Makeup

Scenic design

Faux painting

Haunt design

Starting your first haunted attraction

Haunted houses at a School for the Deaf

Actor training

Marketing your attraction

Lighting design

Airbrush makeup

Being a haunted house director

And more...

We have only one haunt tour this year, but on such short notice I am grateful for that. Haunted Milburn's Manor and Wicked Forest are opening and offer a bbq chicken dinner to boot!

Our presenters so far include -

Nick and Brian Wolfe
Allen Hopps
Cliff Allen
Nick Collins
Myself
Kivo Phillips (for a unique perspective on haunting in the deaf world. He has been with us for 22 years)
Jody Bossert
Irwin Keyes
And one other who well shall I say has been waiting for his contract to arrive.
I think Rich might be surprised when he sees the name when I can tell you, no contract no can tell...

We also have some locals the folk from Davis Graveyard, Sculptor Toby-Wayne, our local fire marshal, lighting designers from a Portland company, Ken Franklin of Grex, Claire Sheets and company from Dark Solider Design... and I am still working with a few others.

We will have a makeup competition, thank you Graftobian for your donation, any others out there that want free ad space on all my web sites, get in touch!

Vendor wise we are getting a good response to our convention. Are we going to have 100 booths, nope, are we going to even have 31, more than likely not, we'll see. But what we will have is a good group that is willing to take a chance on the new guy and to support education in the haunt world and our cause!

We are thrilled to be offering something to our neck of the woods, because, to be honest not everyone can get to the Cons that are on the other side of the country. If I could go to all the cons, I would, I have been to most, and always come away refreshed and ready to do something new at our haunt.

It's is also my dream to help others, especially those in non-profit groups to help increase their gates through education, to help others build new and better attractions. This all began because I could no longer take my students to any of the cons out of state. I wanted to bring something to them and to other schools for the Deaf. Classes will be interpreted and some will be taped as well.

So, go to a convention, go learn something new, meet new people, find a new prop or two for your event! Is one Con better than the other, that my friends needs to be your decision

www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com

Halloween, it's not just for the east coast anymore!

Gravely
04-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Brandon, buddy,
sorry but the scheduling thing just isn't so.

this is our third year

we did first of may in 2008
then had to swap to first of april at the last minute in 2009, because we grew so fast and needed more space

then first of may this year and next.
only this year was a conflict.

Leonard , as is his total right, likes to wait to announce his daters as a surprise after that years con is done.
we can't afford to, as we have to sign contracts much sooner than that, because of the size of our event.
trust me, we in NO WAY ever WANTED to be on the same dates.
but we did have hotel/convention center contracts signed first, and announced dated first

and just to be clear for the future, I am happy to post this

FYI, we already signed and booked 3 years in advance with 2013 info coming soon.

2010 Show Dates!
Thursday, April 29th, 2010
Friday, April 30th, 2010
Saturday, May 1st, 2010
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010

2011 Show Dates!
Thursday, May 5th, 2011
Friday, May 6th, 2011
Saturday, May 7th, 2011
Sunday, May 8th, 2011

2012 Show Dates!
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012
Thursday, May 3rd, 2012
Friday, May 4th, 2012
Saturday, May 5th, 2012
Sunday, May 6th, 2012

drfrightner
04-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Whats SAD is that both of these groups put their shows on the same date... they both deserve a hand slap. Its sad that people have to even have these silly debates one vs the other... whomever is to blame should be shot.

With that being said I don't think these shows boils down to whom or which show as the most vendors, no not at all. I think we all know who has the most vendors IAAPA (LOL), but yeah they do, but for our industry its Transworld. I don't think we'll see anything and I'm mean anything at either Hauntcon or NHC that we didn't see just two weeks ago.

So the vendors in my opinion are not even important here to the success of either show... it means almost nothing.

What does matter however is the TOURS that is the most important draw to these shows... I haven't followed along with NHC tours so I don't know.

I do know that what Hauntcon has planned is really really good! I'll give the guy some credit I take my hat off to him... he's set up probably the best thing most haunters can see.

I've personally been on this tour of Tampa Busch Gardens and I'm here to tell you HONESTLY anyone who goes will be blown away. Its worth the trip period!

Then on top of that the Universal stuff, and all the local haunts. I think Leonard hit a home run here like out of the park. I give him credit.

Who's seminars are better who cares I don't, half of Hauntcons will BLOW, half of NHC's will blow, half will be great and the other shows half will be great same with any of these events. You always hear people complain about this seminar or that this one sucked this one was great, so on and so forth... I'm sure both shows will have some good ones and some bad ones.

I firmly believe these shows boil down to ONE THING... TOURS!

I think hauntcon has it nailed... not to mention a trip to Orlando is always nice! Next year both events should plan different days then its no longer an issue.

Larry

scrye
04-18-2010, 02:27 PM
One offering that Rich mentioned but did not go into detail about was the entertainment track. In addition to offering Great entertainment as a part of a very low general admission all weekend, we have a HUGE prize pool for the Haunters' Got Talent Contest that any registered attendee who is not directly related to convention management, the Entertainment Staff, or Entertainment Sponsorship may enter.

Entertainment that will cost attendees no extra to experience:

Thursday Evening Meet and Greet:

John Bundy and Morgan at a party hosted by Marty Gear and sponsored by Midnight Syndicate on Thursday Night. The team that will be teaching the "Thriller Dance" will preview their skills to attendees of the Thursday Night Meet and Greet as well.

Saturday Night:

"After Party" with The Young Werewolves: 11:30 PM-2:00 AM

On the Fangoria Main Stage in the Tradeshow all weekend:

Wacky Dracky (John Bundy and Morgan) (Friday-Saturday-Sunday)
Tony Gangi, the Amazing Human Head (Friday-Saturday)
Horror Trivia sponsored by Fangoria.com (Friday-Saturday)
Mistress Cheryl from Rich Hanf's Medieval Weapons of War Show (Friday-Saturday)
The Creatures East (Friday)
Screams and Dreams Fashion Show (Saturday)
Professor Scrye's Cabinet of Curiosities (Sunday)
Professor Ouch (Sunday)

And what is the Haunters' Got Talent Competition?

Your chance to win a prize package worth at least $475 in one of three categories: Most Entertaining Overall, Best Halloween Theme, and People's Choice. In addition, Professor Scrye's Promising Performer Prize (a.k.a. the PSPPP) is worth at least $175 to the Best Mystery Entertainer and a consolation prize is guaranteed to EVERY contestent who enters.

Remember, there is NO entry fee to compete, but you must pre-register your act with Chris very soon!

All of the above does not include the sideshows/museum exhibits, the haunt tour, or the Cadaver's Cotillion, all of which are "a la carte" offerings during the weekend.

For more information on the Entertainment Track, and the HGT Competition, visit these links:

http://www.facebook.com/chris.handa?v=app_2347471856

http://www.facebook.com/chris.handa?v=app_2347471856#!/notes/chris-handa/full-national-halloween-convention-entertainment-lineup/366819903642

Thanks for reading...and attending!

Chris Handa
NHC Entertainment Director

sophisticatedterror
04-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Only one week until Hauntcon! woo hoo!

Kale

chuck weber
04-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Valley Forge is gonna be a great show

scrye
04-21-2010, 01:22 PM
I just received confirmation on something this morning, so I wanted to post info on prizes for the Haunters' Got Talent Competition:

1. As mentioned before, EVERY entrant will receive some kind of prize. This could be a t-shirt, a CD, a book, a DVD, an autographed item, "Convention Cash" to spend with any vendor, a prop, or some combination of any of the above.

2. Entrants who advance to the final round will receive a larger value compensation prize or prize bundle.

3. WINNING FINALISTS in one, two, or all three of the main categories will receive a prize package worth at least $275.00 in prizes from our Prize Sponsors. Main categories are listed below and have special awards in addition to the prize package.

4. MOST ENTERTAINING OVERALL: Additional prizes are worth AT LEAST $225
A. $75 in "Convention Cash" to spend with any vendor
B. One VIP General Admission Pass to the 2011 NHC
C. A resin alien bust from blacklightfright.com
D. One custom (only two in existence) mask from wehenkelgallery.weebly.com

5. BEST HALLOWEEN THEME: Additional prizes are worth AT LEAST $225
C. One custom, one-of-a-kind shrunken head from grindshow.com

6. PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD: Additional prizes are worth AT LEAST $225
C. One custom mounted "human skin" tattoo from skin-collector.com

7. PROFESSOR SCRYE'S PROMISING PERFORMER PRIZE (The PSPPP) is awarded to the best Mystery Entertainer regardless of whether they are a finalist or not. This is neither attached to any of the prize packages nor does it prevent one from winning a prize package as a finalist. This "bonus prize" is worth approximately $175.
A. $50 in "Convention Cash" to spend with any vendor
B. One special book/prop from the "Luna" series provided by outlaw-effects.com
C. Special prize package from spookymagic.com

That's right...you have the chance to win $500 in prizes (or much more!) just by being enrolled for general admission and competing in a talent contest! This competion is unique to NHC and we are going "all in" to provide the best possible return for five minutes worth of talent.

Entrants will be screened by me. Those who qualify for a preliminary spot will be notified and given a time on Friday or Saturday to compete. Please contact me directly with any questions about the rules or to enter the competition. I have a maximum of twelve spots, so please don't wait until the day before the show to contact me!

Happy Halloween!

Chris Handa
chris@nationalhauntersconvention.com
412-337-6916

pnightmare
04-21-2010, 02:56 PM
This is an answer to Larry saying...." I don't think we'll see anything we haven't already seen at Transworld"...

We have so many vendors that are debuting brand new, never before seen products it will make your head spin! As for educational classes being offered...you can't even compare...NHC..all the way!

From animatronics and costumes to props and scenery...it's all there!

You should come Larry...we'll play a few rounds of quarters..:)

"Sin"cerely,
John Denley

Gravely
04-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Well, since I have never had problems with Larry, and have no axe to grind there, I try to read any of his posts with an open mind and see if I can learn something from them.

what I learned and kind of agree with, is that often IAAPA is the cool place to look for vendors
Larry has said this many times.

so, We went and got an animation vendor that does not show at transworld, only IAPPA.

I think it will be a great addition for us.

and it is a huge plus for my main motivation, in being a part of NHC

" remember when it was fun"

I love Halloween and haunting, and I love the sense of wonder I always had back in the 90's as this industry was trying to find itself. and most of my friends from that time , are still my friends today, political wounds all healed up, and a focus on what is actually important

and this signing helps bring back the old days in MY head and heart anyway.

we are very proud to announce that Eric Prinz, and Kevin McCurdy will be joining us at NHC with a huge display, of their top of the line and top of the craft animations

chuck weber
04-21-2010, 04:36 PM
national haunters is the show.. thanks for the posting Gravely.. ERIC and KEVIN WOW !

pnightmare
04-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Ricky, the evil Skip will be attending too!

sophisticatedterror
04-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Cant wait for all the awesome tours at Hauntcon...and meeting up with all my old friends and new. Come visit me on the show floor to get buried alive :p

Kale

pnightmare
04-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Wait till you see the new products to be premiered at the show....it's the place to be for haunters both new and old. More education, more new products, and the list just keeps on growing!!!!

drfrightner
04-26-2010, 03:29 PM
John, Ricky, Whomever...

Let me say for a fact, these two shows SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ON THE SAME DAY... that isn't my fault or your fault. Its TERRIBLE that you guys or these guys have to get on here day after day trying to convince people to go to one show over another.

These shows should be on different days so people don't have to take sides, pick one over the other, one vs the other ... one thread even states NHC vs. HAUNTCON. This is silly.

Look here are the facts as I see them ... both show, all of these shows, have some merits, some benefits, some pros and some cons. No matter how much anyone plays up NHC it will not have the products, services and vendors we saw at Transworld or IAAPA. That is a fact.

So my point is simply that these shows survive on other merits such as the TOURS ... what attractions are you touring. I think Hauntcon has a better list of tours, I think most would agree. I think NHC is going to have more vendors but nothing like the before mentioned shows.

So here is where we are at... Hauntcon has some better tours and NHC has more vendors. One group has some good seminars and the other group has some good seminars. One show is in Orlando and the other is in Philly...

Nothing against Philly but I think Orlando is the funner place to be...LOL.

Look here is the bottom line I think its great we have another regional show especially for those haunts up in the east coast. I'm also happy for those down in the Southeast ... I think they will be both be fun for those who attend. But no matter how you slice it or dice it these shows should NOT be on the SAME date.

I hope someone fixes that problem next year then all these silly debates won't happen... you guys bring up good points for NHC I think others bring up good points for Hauntcon. No matter the shows shouldn't both be next weekend. End of story. You guys seem to know these guys... make sure this doesn't happen again for everyones sake.

On a side note... I REALLY WISH I COULD come up there and hang out with you guys. I haven't seen John, Ricky, Eric, Kevin and the rest for years... you guys should have come down to the BIG SHOW last month!

LOL

I'll get up there to see you guys NEXT YEAR when the two shows are NOT on the SAME day!!!!!! LOL

Good luck to you guys at NHC I wish you nothing but the best. I hope it really turns out for you and Hauntcon as well.

Larry

TheMonsterMaze
04-26-2010, 08:45 PM
NHC DATES FOR 2011 and 2012

2011 Show Dates!
Thursday, May 5th, 2011
Friday, May 6th, 2011
Saturday, May 7th, 2011
Sunday, May 8th, 2011

2012 Show Dates!
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012
Thursday, May 3rd, 2012
Friday, May 4th, 2012
Saturday, May 5th, 2012
Sunday, May 6th, 2012

Just so that everyone knows.....

pnightmare
04-27-2010, 12:26 PM
That is not a fact..this show does have never before seen products and most importantly for vendors...new faces and new customers..this is my third year here. As for convincing people to go? This show had it's dates planned well before the other show and is booked years ahead of time. I know personally that the advertising for this show was astounding, including fullpage ads in fango!
\I think the new products found at NHC would make a great article in the next issue?

drfrightner
04-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Full pages ads in fango will bring in horror fans, I think most vendors selling props costing 5k 10k and more will not find any buyers out of fango magazine. You say they've done a great job to advertise I disagree... There is so much more they should have done or could have done which they did not do. Fango magazine... c'mon. Look there are tons of amusement magazines out there and TW advertised in ALL OF THEM multiple times and I have yet to see ONE ad for NHC. I've seen them promoting on message boards... and that is good but but not as you described.

MHC bought a booth at the BIGGEST SHOW and promoted their show. NHC did not do this... I think it would be safe to assume that right there shows MHC did a better job marketing. They also had no ads in our magazine and I'm not sure about the others. But what does this have to do with anything.

There is NO doubt in my mind that there will be things at this show you did not see at Transworld. I think that is great! But the way you are hyping it up is well misleading to a point. Look the Transworld show is the show period. IAAPA has more products than any show and all shows combined. And I think its safe to assume that MHC will be the second biggest show with vendors to TW.

I think this show is great, I think its all good in the hood. But Hauntcon will be a great show as well and to my point I think all of these types of shows live and die by the tours and again Hauntcon has the better tours in my opinion.

Doesn't matter though both shows will be fun for those who go no need to overhype something into something its not or set expectations so high they can't be achieved. As for the show dates, that is a he said she said thing, Hauntcon was the first show and they've always had the same timeframe dates and NHC did the same area. So its an matter of opinion who is right or wrong, all I'm saying is make sure they are on different dates next year.

On another note John why didn't you come to TW two years in a row... why haven't you guys been coming. Love to see you come down!

Rich was here both years and had a blast!

Hopefully you'll come down next year you and Ricky.

Hope to see you soon.

Larry

PS: As for an article we'd love to cover all haunted events, write something up and send it over.

xxxdirk
04-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Could not make it either of these this year. REALLY do hope both are a success. Looking at it as an outsider, the ONE thing I wish NHC would have, would be a pre haunt tour like hauntcon offers. I mean, like 5-6 haunts in the pre tour would be cool. If that is added in 2011, I might just have to try to attend....

drfrightner
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Something to think about too is will either of these shows do well with vendors because everyone is saving their money for this Buffalo auction... I think people will be bringing up to 400k to this thing.

This auction might be the second biggest spending spree for haunts this year... my God they have like five zillion items for sale.

This year there is just so much going on shows all over the country, auctions here and there, you name it and it seems like every weekend something is going on.

Larry

Darkangel
04-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Who in the hell has 400k to spend or will be bringing that much to the Buffalo auction for buying used stuff? I agree he has everything but it's been promoted to the point where so many people might go and bring prices up way higher that they should be...

DA

drfrightner
04-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I didn't say one person I mean overall buyers will probably be bring about 400k to the auction. There will be a lot of dollars flying around at that show for sure... this is the biggest auction in history. Buffalo is a northeast city and will draw a lot the same crowd as NHC hence I think a lot of money will be dropped at the auction that might have been spent at one of these smaller regional shows.

Larry

pnightmare
04-27-2010, 06:17 PM
I loved when it was in Chicago but Vegas killed it for me...I have exhibited here for 3 years now and got a better value! I just looking forward to having fun with friends both old and new!

michaeldavy
04-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Hope to see you all at Hauntcon this weekend here in Orlando.
If you can make it be sure to check out the Make Up Seminar with my pal Rick Gonzales on Sat at 11:30 am. We set the pace with theme park haunt make up with Halloween Horror Nights back in 1990 at Universal and introduced airbrush make up concept of mass make ups to theme parks beginning with that event. We will be sharing our experience with this and many other interesting innovations including a demon-stration of my largest Water-Melon appliance yet the Bubba the Redneck Werewolf - Maul Y'all Werewolf Wound. Completely applied by alcohol. No adhesives. Rick will be sharing his many years of haunt and movie make up experience with his special way of educating through entertaining. Find out how to apply those movie make up concepts to your haunt safely and effectively.

While you are there be sure to stop by booth 202 and check out the whole line of Water-Melon alcohol applied Appliances used at Howl-o- Screams at Busch Gardens as well as the Original sweatproof and smudgeproof AGPC Airbrush Foundation, still used every day at Universal for Frank, Wolfman, Beetelgeuse and Drac. It was Originally developed for Halloween Horror Nights used both for it's durability and ease of removal.

If you can't make it there be sure to visit us at Midwest Haunt Con in Columbus The first weekend in June. I'll be at booth 721 and hosting a Water-Melon Seminar showing how haunters can use Water-Melon Liquid to "make 'ur own" Water-Melon appliances for your own haunt as well as demon-strating it's uses as a non-latex wrinkle stipple for those scareactors with latex allergies.
Hope to see you soon.
www.michaeldavy.com (http://www.michaeldavy.com)

lurker
04-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Hey Michael,

I know this is off subject, but there is a question I have been meaning to ask you about water-melon. If you use it to encapsulate a GFA, how many uses can you get out of one appliance before you wear down the blending edges. Or would it have to just be a single use appliance? And is that stupid question?

SpookywoodsFX.com
04-27-2010, 11:42 PM
I can vouch for Michael on the quality of this product.
Doing either Frank or Wolfman make-up nearly every day for a couple years I really fell in love with the product. Easy to use, great coverage and staying power and air-brush clean up was always a breeze!

the Original sweatproof and smudgeproof AGPC Airbrush Foundation, still used every day at Universal for Frank, Wolfman, Beetelgeuse and Drac. It was Originally developed for Halloween Horror Nights used both for it's durability and ease of removal.

drfrightner
04-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Yo John,

Vegas was a good time but the shows costs got out of control of haunt vendors. I think the attendance seriously dropped off in Vegas because most haunters like driving. Considering Vegas is not really drivable it wasn't the best location for the haunt show. Additionally the costs of exhibiting wasn't good for our vendors... all the way around the board Vegas wasn't the best situation.

But c'mon now that was TWO FREAKIN years ago... what does that have to do with NOW! You talk about BEST VALUE, are you nuts??? The best value is the Transworld show with THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of buyers, rows upon rows upon rows of booths, simply the best seminars, tons of events, old and new frields around every corner.

Chicago, St. Louis distance wise there just isn't much difference for you personally... why you dont' come I'll never understand. Dollar for dollar there is no better investment than putting your company in front of the biggest group of buyers.

Next year come on down! If you haven't heard the Halloween retail show and the haunt show are re-combined. I expect to see you guys down here next March!!!!!!!

Get your butt down here boy!!! LOL

Larry

drfrightner
04-28-2010, 02:50 AM
Check it out John!!!

RNnvy6TTtwc

mindtumor
04-28-2010, 08:25 AM
I drove straight from Michigan to Vegas that year, plus I had two little kids with me. Not fun at all, :(. I was tired the entire show.

I would like to go to and see Orlando, just not this weekend. The Harry Potter stuff will be really cool I bet. I went to a exhibit once where they had all of the actual Harry Potter movie props on display. Costumes and everything. It was very cool.

michaeldavy
04-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Not sure about the silicone application but it is reapplyable. Before you remove the appliance just stipple a coat over the edge , let dry and remove. Voila, You have reestablished the edge.
You may be able to restipple the back if it comes off but not sure it would depend on a lot of variables.

Hope to see you all at Hauntcon this weekend!

scrye
05-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Thank you to all who helped to increase our vendor count, double our attendance, and expand programming in ways that we couldn't have even imagined two years ago!

A special thank you to Rob and Michael for maintaining the attitude that we should go back to when Halloween was FUN for all of us! It is great to see so many people enjoying themselves in the aisles, at social events, and in the seminars.

Chris Handa

GoryCorey
05-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Who in the hell has 400k to spend or will be bringing that much to the Buffalo auction for buying used stuff? I agree he has everything but it's been promoted to the point where so many people might go and bring prices up way higher that they should be...

DA

A few years back the 7 floors of hell auction in the Cleveland area was large.
Trust me when I say, many haunts and haunters come in with a a fistful of money to spend on "used" props.
I dropped a grand and that was barely a drop in the bucket compared to many.
That was for my home haunt, I am by no means a haunt owner.

As far as the prices at Buffalo could be higher than they should be, it is up to the buyer to be educated as to the cost of a particular prop, before blowing a wad over and above the cost of buying one straight from the manufacturer.

That was evident at the 7 auction where I saw MANY items sell for more than they could be bought for.

That said, everyone should keep that in mind for future auctions, since Buffalo is now a memory.

GoryCorey
05-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Already planning on next year, and yes, both shows are different weeks...right after each other.

HC at Louisville first, end of April, then NHC the following week.

Minions Web may do both, but that will be 2 weeks on the road for 2 shows....I am getting to old for this.

scrye
05-15-2010, 10:31 AM
We were thrilled to have you, Corey!

Thanks for the words of encouragement on Thursday night, too.

Chris