PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question

Darkangel
04-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Doing my homework, here is another question for you guys...

In an indoor space, long term or permanent, can you run the appropriate types of cords across the tops of your walls down into your scenes from a power box or outlet or do you ALWAYS have to hardwire outlets directly in each scene? What do you do?

Thanks,
DA

Atrox Freak
04-18-2010, 08:23 AM
To be on the safe side, check with your local fire inspector and see what they feel about it. We have electrical plugs in each scene, this also makes it very easy if you have a cord failure to swap it out in place as opposed to running a new line.

Darkangel
04-18-2010, 06:50 PM
It must have cost a fortune to have outlets in each scene? I was thinking running cords over walls into scenes is what most do?

DA

sophisticatedterror
04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Depends on your code, like last year our haunt was located in the county. I was allowed to have the main panel in the center of the haunt and run extension cords straight to every scene...This year im in the city and will be required to have each scene hardwired instead of running long extension cords. So basically what we will do is run several hardwired "umbilical" panels placed on top of the haunt around a grouping of scenes that all electrical from those scenes can plug straight into.

Kale

lurker
04-18-2010, 07:54 PM
If you are talking about VA it is hard to tell. I know some countys where there are no inspections. If you are inside corporate limits then it varies.
There was a fire department near me that ran a haunt for years, and they still may, that was in a building and they used nothing but black plastic for walls. A fire department! What the hell? You would think they would know better.

gadget-evilusions
04-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Or just run 12vdc for everything. I am building a haunt right now and everything is 12v. The only 2 items that are 110v are foggers and they are plugged directly into permanent outlets on the poles in our building.

Darkangel
04-19-2010, 06:39 AM
gadget-evilusions, can most things run on 12vdc, such as speakers, lights, etc? I'm assuming compressors need 110 are the foggers and air compressors?

Thanks,
DA

newhorror2010
04-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Doing my homework, here is another question for you guys...

In an indoor space, long term or permanent, can you run the appropriate types of cords across the tops of your walls down into your scenes from a power box or outlet or do you ALWAYS have to hardwire outlets directly in each scene? What do you do?

Thanks,
DA

We had our electrician come in & at first run conduits throughout the ceiling. Every 10 ft or so he added a 15 to 20 ft piece of flexible / bending conduit with a "normal" plug attached to that. The flexing conduit allows for us to move the plug(s) anywhere we want to throughout the scene(s). Hope this helps.

John

Darkangel
04-19-2010, 06:58 AM
John,

How big is your space? What was the cost to do this, approx?

Thanks,
DA

MindWerxKMG
04-19-2010, 07:00 AM
At Nightshade Manor we ran conduit across the tops of the walls and installed at least one quad outlet in every scene. Nightshade is about 5000 sq feet and it cost around $6500 and was done by an licensed electrician. Permits had to be pulled, etc.

newhorror2010
04-19-2010, 07:25 AM
John,

How big is your space? What was the cost to do this, approx?

Thanks,
DA

At Death Row we used to be 100,000 sq. ft. until we were downsized to approx. 30 to 33,000. We were located in an old prison then we had to move into the warehouse we're in now. Cost wise I'd make an estimated, educated guess of around $200,000. It costs us less because when we packed up our stuff from one side of the warehouse & moved it to the other, we were smart & took down the conduit(s) the electrician had previously installed & dragged them to the other side.

All he had to do then was reinstall the conduit(s) & then run new wiring for us.

John

Darkangel
04-19-2010, 07:40 AM
200,000 to install the electric? That's crazy expensive.... :confused:

Slain
04-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Someone in your group must know an electrician that you can recruit to help.. We have several on staff that does the work for free. The supplies are costly but having a certified/master electrician on staff is priceless...

newhorror2010
04-19-2010, 08:05 AM
200,000 to install the electric? That's crazy expensive.... :confused:

You'll have to forgive me please, I just got released from the hospital a few days ago from having brain surgery. My actual guess is closer to being between $15 - $20,000. I may still be off by a bit.

Jim Warfield
04-20-2010, 10:28 PM
All steel conduit here at The Ravens Grin, with the exception of the wet wine cellar, it's pvc conduit.
No rat, squirrel, is going to chew through steel conduit, put alot of clips on it and it becomes drunken idiot proof, you know those people that used to be the kids that had to touch everything, got older and drunk now they want to grab and yank on everything..
Maybe drop cords are called drop cords because how fast a person drops when they trip over them?