PDA

View Full Version : Creative radio promotions

Darkangel
04-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Ok guys, last question for now. I have read from you over the years of some really cool radio promotions, tie-ins, etc.

What are some of the most effective and best radio promotions or marketing concepts that really worked out well for you in your market? Is there something that one station did that really created a buzz, something really fun or really effective in getting you attention and selling those tickets?

I know sme stations are more creative and willing than others, some just want you to uy spots and you get very little promotions, so what have you done?

Thanks,
DA

spookhaven
04-18-2010, 05:09 PM
My personal opinion is keep it to a 30 second ad. Don't go the 60 second spot. You loss them. 15 second spots are hard to come by but were very effective for our haunt.

Also we have done two different promos onsite even offering it as a sign up for a chance on a cruise, didn't work out anything like I thought it would. Could just be our area but we tried it for our Hallween store as well and offered a 20% off entire purchase, didn't seem to work either.

We found that radio wasn't as good as grass root advertising, monsters on the streets, parades, at a large function promoting such as a fair, etc. Oh and we got a lot off of billboards and the yard signs along the highway.

FEAR ASYLUM
04-18-2010, 05:14 PM
In the past we have had the radio personalities give away free packages for a trip through the hh with them we have also gad movie premiers. Co like who dis promotions for zombie land come out and we got tons of free stuff posters shirts sticker tix etc too give away too the crowd free.stuff live remotes are a waist of money. And really push your radio the last thre weeks for sure

graystone
04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
I have found right the opposite. I think the 60 second commercials are the best in my oppinion it gives them more time to feel and hear the story your trying to tell. More time means more info. You can usually if your a good negotiator get 60 second spots for the price of the 30 second ones. Shane and its that's what works best for me. Shane this time.

bhays
04-18-2010, 07:39 PM
We do the standard ticket giveaways. One thing we have been doing for five years now is called the Y106/Fear Fair scream off. We do a radio remote and have people register for a contest, we use a decibel meter and the loudest scream wins $100 cash and then we have some prizes from other sponsors..

Not especially innovative, but it is well received.

Darkangel
04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Another great piece of info Brett. Thanks everyone great discussion. Fear asylum, you run your ads more the last three weeks? I always thought people tapered off closer to Halloween since the crowds are already there then.
DA

Darkangel
04-19-2010, 08:00 AM
So is it not good to expect that radio stations will offer up some very creative, out of the box tupe of promos for haunters advertising aside from the standard live remotes, ticket giveaways , etc?

Badger
04-19-2010, 08:38 AM
One thing that I've seen over the years is to have the local TV and newspaper reporters spend a night working at the haunt. Have the cameras follow the transformation from reporter to monster, and then film them trying to scare folks. It's usually done early in the season before the crowds pick up. I saw this happen twice at my former haunt and each time the piece was well done and quite positive. Plus, it's a story so there was no money paid out by you. Perhaps you could invite every local media personality to come be a part of your show for a night and see who bites...

Badger
04-19-2010, 08:40 AM
I have found right the opposite. I think the 60 second commercials are the best in my oppinion it gives them more time to feel and hear the story your trying to tell. More time means more info. You can usually if your a good negotiator get 60 second spots for the price of the 30 second ones. Shane and its that's what works best for me. Shane this time.

Interesting enough, For every 60-second commercial people buy from me, I do a 30-second at no cost...

storm
04-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Ok guys, last question for now. I have read from you over the years of some really cool radio promotions, tie-ins, etc.

What are some of the most effective and best radio promotions or marketing concepts that really worked out well for you in your market? Is there something that one station did that really created a buzz, something really fun or really effective in getting you attention and selling those tickets?

I know sme stations are more creative and willing than others, some just want you to uy spots and you get very little promotions, so what have you done?

Thanks,
DA

So much of this can break down to what area of the country you are in. Some promotions work better in different communities. This also effects pricing such as on-sites by a radio station. It is common that a live broadcast is a premium added to you advertising agreement.

Your best bet would be to network and talk with simular business. Is there a local theater company or know someone with the highschool musical production? See what has been effective with them. Also keep in mind the audience and what you want from them. Parents will be looking for discounts (coupons ticket give aways), and while this has value to the 13-25 demographic, the younder ones will enjoy buzz about the attraction such as a character sitting in with a radio DJ, or an appearance at an event. Wacky monsters invading the studio for a segment will not be as effective on an easy listening station, but free passes might.

A good thing to keep in mind is that you can be an asset to local radio, newspaper, TV, and business. They always want material for Halloween. You can help give them content, material and ideas for webpages and fall specials. Work with the ad teams and see what works best for you. There is no magic formula for any one place, just guidelines and working to deliver a simple message so customers value your product.