PDA

View Full Version : Gene Simmons From Kiss Ripped Me Off!!!

HouseOfHorrors
04-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Wow... Take a look at my logo and compare them to his "House Of Horrors" comic book logo.... see any similarities???

Darkangel
04-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Looks close to me Tim...

DA

Allen H
04-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Wow, is that a custom or a stock font?

HouseOfHorrors
04-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Brainstorm designed it for me years ago!

MovieRelics
04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
I know this isn't what you will want to hear, but I personally don't think you can claim any kind of copyright violation here. If this was a case brought before me as an judge or arbitrator, this is how I see it:

1) The fonts are different
2) Your text is warped where his isn't, he alternates the letter size per letter
3) While you both use a gradient, they are different colors. Yours is Red - Orange, his is Red - White. And the Red's are different tones of Red.
4) His 'R's are reversed in "Horrors" where yours are not making his "Horrors" word unique looking compared to 99% of what other people using the name "House of Horrors" are based on a quick Google Search.
5) Your text is embossed and glossy looking where his looks just to have a little bit of a drop shadow.
5) Your not the only organization that is using the "House of Horrors" name so it's not like you can claim the name as copyrighted itself as it's pretty well used as a common name for any horror based enterprise.
6) He's a comic book, where as your a Haunted House. So you can't claim any possible confusion in the public eye between the two entities.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a lawyer, but I've had my share of experience going after many different companies and private individuals that were trying to use my company names, logos, trademarks, and slogans for their own products by either blatantly ripping them off or trying to change them just enough to keep from getting sued. These were some of the things I would have to considered before even calling my attorney to start litigation. If you were to try to sue Gene Simmons comic book company here, I see it as a waste of legal fees on something that will get dismissed pretty early.

MovieRelics
04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
BTW, your haunt looks kick ass from the photos on your website. Just wanted to say.

Jolly Pumpkin
04-30-2010, 01:15 PM
They look similar, but aren't identical. I don't think they were trying to copy, but it just ended up looking like that.

Slain
04-30-2010, 01:17 PM
According to the USPTO. There are three (3) people who own the trademarked name of House of Horrors. None of them are you.. How can you say someone stole your idea when you don't even own the name.. They may be coming after you and or Brainstorm for creating any of these in the first place...
Look it up Gene owns the right to the name for the comic book series...

HouseOfHorrors
04-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Haha... I'm not worried about copyright infringement, etc... I think it's rather funny and coincidental.... The funny thing is I gave the guys from Kiss some House Of Horrors Shirts quite a few years back ... and then this comic comes out.. coincidence? who knows. It pretty much the identical logo, sure the color is changed, and the R is flipped around... but hey... the similarities other than that speak for themselves.... I would never think of trying to sue or anything? why would I ? it's not hurting my business even if the Logo was 100% identical... I was pretty surprised when I saw it... it's kinda funny actually...

HouseOfHorrors
04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Slain, sure other people use "House Of Horros" in there name, whether its a comic book, movie, or another haunted house calling themselves "so and So's" House Of Horrors. I never said he ripped off the NAME "HOUSE OF HORRORS" im saying the font and logo is pretty much identical to mine... and Gene's only done this comic for a few years... Brainstorm did my logo 9 years ago.. so I don't know how they could come after me and Brainstorm for making these when these were made first! lol... This isn't even a post of legality, me being pissed (cause I'm not!) or me saying who owns what.... Just thought some of you would find the pics interesting like I did!!

-Tim

MovieRelics
04-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Sorry Tim,

The only similarity that I see is the name. I don't think that Gene got your shirt, then a few years later takes the shirt to a comic book artist and said, "Make something similar to this." I think this was a artist taking the name someone told him and trying to design a logo around it. Accusing someone of stealing or ripping off something, even in a casual way, is something I wouldn't accuse someone of unless I was 100% sure it happened. It takes away from the artist. That may be his original work that some people may think looks similar to your logo while others don't.

xtremecreator
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe Gene bought the printer off the truck driver man..........

Then he would have truck driver rights........

HouseOfHorrors
04-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Haha... Yeah maybe! Good one John!

xtremecreator
04-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Sorry Tim....

Allen H
04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Technically....this could be a legal post. Defamation of character to Gene Simmons, you may want to change the title as this is a public forum and could be viewed by anyone.
Im just playing Devils advocate here.
Allen H

Slain
04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
USPTO says he has had that trademark for his comic book line since 1987...
I think it's cool but I would stay away from a law suit too. You could lose everything you ever thought about owning.....He would win because of the golden rule. The person with the gold (Gene) makes all the rules!!!!

HouseOfHorrors
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Haha.. I hear ya slain.. I got money but not Genes Simmons money!! I would never even think of anything like that anyway.... im not that type of guy... I thought it was pretty cool honestly... Just thought some of you guys would get a kick out of it. Its funny in the hot tub business, one of the manufacturers I deal with went and cloned 3 other manufacturers molds... these are all HUGE companies... the molds were pretty much identical in every way... but because they judge decided the hot tubs were 10% different there was nothing they could do.. They only difference really was them putting their logo on it and putting a different brand of jets in... crazy....

MovieRelics
04-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Haha.. I hear ya slain.. I got money but not Genes Simmons money!! I would never even think of anything like that anyway.... im not that type of guy... I thought it was pretty cool honestly... Just thought some of you guys would get a kick out of it. Its funny in the hot tub business, one of the manufacturers I deal with went and cloned 3 other manufacturers molds... these are all HUGE companies... the molds were pretty much identical in every way... but because they judge decided the hot tubs were 10% different there was nothing they could do.. They only difference really was them putting their logo on it and putting a different brand of jets in... crazy....

First thing my Law Professor taught me - No matter how good and air tight you think your position in a case is, you never know what a Judge / Jury will do.

HouseOfHorrors
04-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Oh and Gene didn't Copywright "Gene Simmons House Of Horrors" Until June '06

chuck weber
04-30-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree with you.

Dreamreaper
04-30-2010, 11:02 PM
I think it could bring more hits for your haunt.

freak 'n' stein
04-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Wow. Talk about taking this post to COMPLETE left field...

Tim was OBVIOUSLY joking from post #1...but there is ALWAYS "that guy" who takes things so seriously.

...guess sarcasm is in the eye of the beholder [aka, read and interpret as you wish]

and that "truck driver rights" post...HILARIOUS!!! I love when people can laugh at themselves.

lurker
04-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Tim,

I think you may have a golden opportunity with this. You should call up Gene or his manager and tell them you want to do a publicity stunt to promote your haunt and his comic. Maybe leak to the press that you and him are suing each other. And get him to visit your attraction in October so you can settle the matter in person. You guys could put that pro wrestling kind of spin on it. It would garnish attention for both your endeavors. This is the kind of silly stuff that would get coverage from media outlets around the country. And, it would make a great episode of his reality TV show Family Jewels. I bet his camp would go for this idea in a heart beat.

SomeThingInTheIce
05-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Sorry, I don't see it. I do like your web site, looks cool.

damon carson
05-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Fonts are fonts. Many of use the same. What does it really matter? Just my two cents. I've seen similar on regular scary font sites.
Damon

Slain
05-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Oh and Gene didn't Copywright "Gene Simmons House Of Horrors" Until June '06

Then don't you wished you had spent some of that money you have Trademarking your name?

HouseOfHorrors
05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Slain...

Wow thanks for all your insight!!!! This post was made in a joking sarcastic manner.... Freak n stein had it right on the money as far as this thread going wayyy left field...lol.. relax there buddy!

-Tim