PDA

View Full Version : Advertising question

spookhaven
05-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Anyone use car wraps to advertise year round? I am thinking about investing into several for our vehicles and trailers. It's going to be around 10K but it's 365 days a year 24/7. Just wondered how many of you use them and if they really last 7 years.

sophisticatedterror
05-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I believe they are a great investment, we get a lot of feedback when we do graphics on our vehicles. They can last for mega years but only if they are done right. If they are not applied correctly or if the right medium is not used...they can not last as long.

Kale

Front Yard Fright
05-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I can't speak from experience, but I say it is one of the best advertisments I've ever seen.

We own a Domino's and we have a white truck with decals of the logo, phone number, and what not and we use it in parades and stuff.

It sticks out like a sore thumb and gets attention! I say go for it!
:).

unihaunter
05-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Get it!!sign laws are rough and you can park that sign most anywhere anytime.Freightliner wrapped alot of their trucks they last for a very long time.

shawnc
05-06-2010, 11:06 PM
And keep in mind that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You could go as simple as the name and website in white letters in the back window or just your logo on the back fenders.

I took a photo of a PT Cruiser with a full wrap on it the other day. After I got home I loaded the photo on my computer, opened it in Photoshop, and then adjusted the contrast so I was able to pick out the name of the company amidst the jungle of graphics. I felt like kicking the owner in the butt for being so stupid, but I'm sure he's done it many times himself. But then he should have removed that mess, because he wasn't doing his company (whatever it was) any favors by leaving it.

Jim Warfield
05-07-2010, 08:49 AM
"Wrap" it, sell it, but if someone forgot to put enough "Meat" inside, the customer won't be fooled a second time.
People driving through this little village stop and stare, take pictures all the time I am told by the hotel owners across the street from where I park my Spookmobile.
No, my car is not a mere hearse. It features a big steel shark mouth full of teeth inplace of the grill, eyes above it on the hood, nasty looking vynl "skin" on the hood, movable arms with hands alongside of the hood they are about 3 feet long, a shark fin on the roof, a metal net around the fin being held by mechanical arms coming from "Mr. Television"who has a skull looking out from behind the screen. I have tons of reflective tape and plastic reflectors on the car to make it NOT get run into in my dark parking lot.
The basic car is a 1989 Olds station wagon, which was a small-town mortician's "hearse", I was told, but not this particulair car.
I had the entire mechaincals rebuilt a few years ago. The pictures of it on our website (hauntedravensgrin.com) are not totally updated as far as exactly how the car looks right now, but it shows how the decorating began.

gadget-evilusions
05-07-2010, 10:30 AM
I planned to do this for our new haunt this year on my cargo van. It's my daily driver so I figured the cost vs. impression ( the hundreds of cars I pass everyday ) would be worth it.

I was also going to have my rear windows done with the "dot print" type advertising. The stuff you can see thru from the inside but not the outside and it looks like a full picture.

jakprintsHAUNT
05-07-2010, 11:25 AM
We actually supply both the adhesive vinyls printed used for vehicle wraps and the window mesh. As a company we stick to more sign sized , or vehicles like trucks that are a more flat surface or just the windows as opposed to the actual wraps because most of the time it doesnt come out the greatest. At a distance they normally look good, but with the coutours of the car, doors and such, there are a lot of wrinkles, seams, and imperfections when you look up close. Plus the price can get pretty out of control for just the installation alone due to how long it takes and meticulous it is to do...must be done in an almost sterile environment, and car must be practially 100% clean of rust. We usually don't recommend people doing the full wraps. The window meshes and just magnets or signs almost always look great though.

If you can find a good airbrush artist I think that can look really great if done well, and cost a lot less if you are doing the entire vehicle.

Mike "Pogo" Hach

spookhaven
05-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone. Just needed some back up to what I was thinking. I drive hundreds of miles a week with the real estate business so the exposure is great.

I have found that simple is better. Just need to see what is affordable.

Jim Warfield
05-08-2010, 02:51 AM
The professional paint job, wraps, ex cetra looks nice, costs alot of money but to get the public's attention I think art and an idea behind it gets more attention from people than everything looking just perfectly done.
My example: My Wife pulled out infront of a car , got T-Boned, I built a motorcycle wreck into the big dent, complete with a skeletal rider. Long haul truckers told me they had never seen anything like this creation before. It amused people, it scared some people, it Always generated tons of looks and attention.
If I drove it to a town 30 miles away, by the time I got home people would be waiting to get into my house because they had seen that car.
Selling a haunted house and Halloween 365 nights a year AND having business show up those other nights is a tough job but that car helped tremedously toward accomplishing this for me.

Raycliff Manor
05-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Jim, I wish you weren't so far from us! Man I'd love to just hang out some time. I love your dedication to your passion and your creativity my friend! Are you going to MHC? I know every time to leave Ravens Grinn you are losing business, but it would be awesome to see you at the show!

Kel

Jim Warfield
05-08-2010, 07:27 PM
if I ever showed my face at another haunt trade show I'd wake up hours later duct taped to a folding chair in the charity kissing booth with ripped lips.
Then the blackmail photos begin appearing.....of course I wouldn't be the first nor the last victim of this gang.

shawnc
05-08-2010, 11:58 PM
if I ever showed my face at another haunt trade show I'd wake up hours later duct taped to a folding chair in the charity kissing booth with ripped lips.
Then the blackmail photos begin appearing.....of course I wouldn't be the first nor the last victim of this gang.

I think someone needs to kidnap Jim from his house and take him to MHC. Or anywhere. He obviously needs to get out of the house more.

supermatic
05-09-2010, 05:34 AM
we had our hearst wrapped. Only bummer was we couldn't wrap the caddy- the body line were a bit much. So we bought a buick (smooth body lines-easy to wrap)

Raycliff Manor
05-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Jim wrote:

Jim, that was a one time occurence, really!

Shawn wrote:

I think someone needs to kidnap Jim from his house and take him to MHC. Or anywhere. He obviously needs to get out of the house more.

Shawn, I sense a plan formulating! :p

Kel

Raycliff Manor
05-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I apologize, I just realized we've hijacked this thread. I too am interested in learning more about the vehicle advertising wraps. ;) Does anyone know what the impact is on your vehicle insurance, if any, for turning into a roaming billboard?

Kel

shawnc
05-10-2010, 06:05 PM
If it's a personal vehicle (not registered or insured for business use) that your agent finds out you are using for your business, your premiums will go up. I know this from experience as a photographer. Many use their vehicles for promotion, often just small window decals, and then learn later that they unexpectedly opened a can of worms.