PDA

View Full Version : does familys help??

hauntedghost
05-08-2010, 06:41 AM
well, over the years i have seen friends help you build and make your haunt better but what about familys?? like you mom and dad also if you have kids and if there under age to work.. still put them to work!!!

having them help you is nice but what about you and your wife or you and your hubby??

my wife and i we work together well but not the best as in acting.. don't get wrong but we love each other so much to death. what about have your love one being your partener in the haunt biz?? co-owner... that is!!

what about your dad or mom being the co-owner??

here is another thing i have to ask..

did any one of you out there had at one time in your life that your parents told you that being in this haunt stuff is not good for you?? or the other thing that they ask is why do you want to do this??

i just need some feed back on this because my family sees me that i am to young to think that i can't run or open a haunt..

any one help me?

HG

unihaunter
05-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Every ounce of respect you get in this business will be earned.When I was 32 I asked my mom to do ticket sales the other person was skimming money.She thought I was crazy for having the H/H in the first place.But mom came and helped once she saw people paying to get scared people from her church go thru and how all the people came together to but it on her thinking changed shes worked the ticket booth ever since and tells everybody about the H/H.Shes everyones on site grandma.The funny thing is she has never been inside and she will tell you right quick shes not going in.My daughter was 5 when we started shes now 15 she knows more than some haunters that are owners.So If I go belly up from stress she will pick it up and keep running.I have dealt with adults that act like children and children the act like 40 year old business men.Age meens nothing work for respect it will come money is just the bonus.Head up blood on strobe flashing que the music now haunt like hell.

MDKing
05-08-2010, 08:04 AM
My wife has been my business partner from the start, we make a great team and we compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses well.

Allan

Jim Warfield
05-08-2010, 10:28 AM
confidence. At those younger years success is more ellusive and compliments withheld when they should be freely handed out by relatives, unless they are jealous or the possibility of any of your success might make them insecure.
Personally, I have always had a problem receiving compliments but then maybe if they came with no disclaimers or immeadiately asking for something FROM me, like money, special favors.
I guess I detest being greased or the attempt at getting greased just so someone else can get what they want.
I went from village idiot to smart guy when 500 people drove to this village to see my house, most driving 3 hrs. from Chicago, spending their money in town, food, gas, ex cetra.
"A haunted house? That will never work!"
Then that success allowed me to quit working for many negative , cheap people in this town and go haunting, I'm sure many didn't like me doing that, but "Oh, Well?"
Sometimes certain people we know have their own not-so-nice reasons for the things they do, don't do and say.
If you are really rabid about anything , go for it, what else are we supposed to do in this life?
Of course the uninspired won't like you but then most people usually seem to be uninspired.

Kelly Anderson
05-14-2010, 09:23 AM
When I first started making the 100+ mile drive to build our haunt, I dont think there was one person that didnt think I was crazy. From people I worked with to my own family.

The crazy haunt rooms I would talk about building. Showing everybody drawings of my plans, and then pictures and videos. Eventually some of my family, sisters, brother, and then my parents and nieces and nephews were driving right behind me to come and help, spend the weekend, and have a good time.

Next thing I had people from my work (at the time) that were planning trips down. And they loved it!

Having family help out for the most part has been great. I could almost always count on several people to come and help in my area of the haunt. You GOTTA LOVE DEPENDABILITY! I couldnt have done alot of what I did with out my family.

My mom and dad would never work as an actor in it, but they would come down on occasional weekends and help build, set up effects, or just help clean up.

Ive found that there are certain people that on the surface seem to not care about the haunts or that dont seem to care if one succeeds in this industry, but then just to suprise you they are standing in line with a paid ticket waiting to go thru the haunt. There are some that just plain dont want to see your success.

But I would imagine that most successfull businesses went through hell and back to get to where they are. And if ones determined enough, Id like to think that most anythings possible.

Follow your dreams. Theres quite a few success stories here on the forum that I look up to, so it does happen.

Jim Warfield
05-14-2010, 10:16 AM
built their dream house but couldn't finish it for many years so they lived in it's spacious basement.
Finally the Wife got some family help, her Uncle came over to wall paper the upstairs.
I guess he actually meant well but after he left she noticed some of the print pattern wall paper was upside down!
Thanks.
I also had some relatives that did really hideous screwed-up work in our house and "hideous" wasn't for a haunt either. Some people think they inherit skills. They are wrong.
A farmer had his farmer/neighbor wire up the new heaters in his hog house, all the gas valves and thermostats were "fried", they didn't taste good even if there was a slight "bacon" aroma in the air.
"Help" is hard to find, good help is even harder, helpless help? They are out there too, identifying them early is important.
I make mistakes too, I'm not "perfect". Most work requires knowledge, time and learning to listen to that little voice inside your head that says:"Think about what you are doing,NOW!"
I like these two old sayings:"It's a poor workman that blames his tools"
And "A good workman knows how to hide his mistakes." Which I hope any surgeon operating on me never believes! They bury their mistakes!