PDA

View Full Version : Bald Cap Question???

Raycliff Manor
05-16-2010, 03:44 PM
We have an Actor this year who wants to use a bald cap. In the past our bald characters just shaved their heads so I'm not too familiar with the use and re-use of latex bald caps. I'm looking at the bald cap at http://www.mostlydead.com/p420/Bald-Cap-or-Bald-Cap-with-Makeup-Kit/product_info.html

Can anyone tell me if something like this is able to be re-used and if so, how many times can it typically be used. The Actor is planning to put holes in the cap and pull some long strands of hair through the cap. Makeup will also be applied to the cap. Any insights and/or suggestions are appreciated!

Kel

Tater
05-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Kel

as for me anytime I have used a Bald Cap ive used Michael Davys watermelon ones..ive gotten mulitple uses outta them but I remove them carefully. They look great and blend in well

Jim Warfield
05-16-2010, 11:23 PM
I believe is two. Zero Population Growth, remember.

MovieRelics
05-17-2010, 03:17 AM
I've gotten about 4 - 5 real good uses out of my bald caps. But that's only if your really taking care of them when removing them and cleaning.

Raycliff Manor
05-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I do appreciate it!:D

Kel

Darkangel
05-17-2010, 07:10 AM
If you do bald caps do them right, get good ones and make sure they are seemless otherwise it looks really bad. Here's an example of what not to do...

x0z4iZtjoNo

MDKing
05-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Hey, I remember seeing him one year! lol

Allan

damon carson
05-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Thats not a baldcap. Thats duct tape painted white. LOL!
Damon

Darkangel
05-17-2010, 10:55 AM
LOL either way it looks terrible don't you think Damon?

DA

jakprintsHAUNT
05-17-2010, 11:06 AM
If they are pulling pieces of their hair through and want to get multiple uses, they may want to reinforce around the holes after taking off for the first time. That way there is less chance of tearing. Depending on the look, they may be better off using crepe hair or you can get pretty cheap braiding hair at K-Mart that works pretty good and is aready straight. The amount of uses can also be determined by what is done to it and what the re-use is. I had one where I literally did so much buildup, and the design of the makeup that it practically turned into a soft sculpted mask I used like 3-4 times (could have gotten more, but it was stolen or thrown away, I also dont like doing the same character too many times in a season). I only had to redo the neck area and seam up the back from where I had to cut to get it off.

I was always a fan of the Woochie/Cinema Secret caps...but I got one this year and didnt seem like the quality was as good as in the past.

Mike "Pogo" Hach

damon carson
05-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Actually for that to be duct tape painted white it looks pretty good. LOL!
Damon

Darkangel
05-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Now that I look at it I think you're right that looks like duct tape painted white...Damn!

Raycliff Manor
05-18-2010, 08:01 AM
As always, I appreciate all the tips and insights!

Kel

soultrkr
05-18-2010, 01:29 PM
you can always use plastic grocery bags and latex them down and airbrush them the flesh tone your looking for If you are looking for super cheap but those are gonna be 1 time only uses.

does the character need to be completly bald? you can get a few uses out of a bald cap if your very careful.

I thought I saw the solvent and the medical adhesive for sale at screamline studios but when I checked the site I do not see it on there so I am not sure on that.

BruiseMuse
05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I agree with Tater; I've had good luck with Michael Davy's baldcaps and I think they are slightly more durable than latex. Just take plenty of time when applying and removing them and they will last for several uses.