PDA

View Full Version : New Haunt Opening! Track our Progress!

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Hello Haunt Community! We met many of you at TW and you were interested in seeing our space and progress. If you didnt meet us - here is our background.

We are a group of 4 guys, all with a love for haunting and have 30 years of haunting experience (combined)

We have just aquired a 20,000 square foot space in Appleton Wisconsin and have begun construction of 'OBLIVION HAUNTED HOUSE" Land of the damned.

Our goal is to produce a quality, safe attraction to rival other professional haunts.
Our first year budget is under 20,000 dollars and I think you will be supprised with our final product. Check back often as we post our progress and adventure of opening a new haunt.

FablesStudios
05-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Best of luck to you guys. Keep us updated.

Peter T
FS

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 01:14 PM
First photo is a shot of the main warehouse facing South. The upstairs you see in this shot will house costumes/props/wardrobe and Makeup as well as our main office and controll rooms. There are full heated bathrooms and break areas up there as well for all of our actors.

Second shot is the main warehouse facing north. The entrance to the haunt is on the back left corner where we have constructed a large indoor 'industrial' q line area before entering the event on our 'hellevator' - custom made by ourselves.

Third shot is all 4 of us when we put the first walls up in the back warehouse. This area has become our 'Asylum' and is near completion. More photos to come.

The last photo is some of the guys relaxing after throwing some more wall panels up.

Love to hear your feedback when we get more photos posted! Cheers!

-Oblivion Haunted House 'Disciple' - Erick

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks Peter! These shots are from February and we have come quite far! We are done with major construction and are working on scenic work now. Man it's great to work on your own event and do whatever you want ;)

KBFTodd
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Looks cool...how about some updated pics ??

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Ill get some up today before 5pm my time.

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
First Shot - A shot of the main building from the Lot
Second Shot - A shot of the main lot
Third Shot - One of our 'Ticket Pods' being scenically detailed. I was quite proud of these. We are building them on 4'x4' pallets for easy moving. :)

Fourth Shot - The entry of the haunt / q line area / Hellevator entrance
Fifth Shot - Basemement scene out of the elevator. The Furnace is a drop panel.

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Here are some more shots. Note everything was shot under work lighting.

First Shot - Another view of the basement scene
Second - Entry to the 'Asylum'
Third - The 'birthing room' in the asylum
Fourth - Exam room wall detailing under construction. Cheap, easy and very cool. We are taking photocopies of old medical sheets I bought for dirt cheap at barnes and noble and wall paper paste (and flame retardant) them to the wall. Then we will take dirty water washes over the top of them and add all other scenic elements (I.E. cabinets, shelves, other posters, etc)

Fifth - Outdoor staging area directly outside the main entrance.

FablesStudios
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Place looks Bad ass!!! Keep up the work!!

Peter T
FS

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 02:57 PM
We have learned over the years many tricks and tips on working with a tiny budget. We build soley around with what we find. If anyone would like some tips on that topic, or has a small budget to work with - we are bursting with great CHEAP ideas to acheive a quality product. Dont hesitate to contact us!

Become a friend of me on facebook: Erick James

Fan the haunt: Oblivion Haunted House

shawnc
05-25-2010, 03:18 PM
We have learned over the years many tricks and tips on working with a tiny budget. We build soley around with what we find. If anyone would like some tips on that topic, or has a small budget to work with - we are bursting with great CHEAP ideas to acheive a quality product.

Now there's an idea for a new book.

The place looks great, especially working on a small budget.

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
We dont have the time to write a book, or we would. But I am willing to share any and all info, tips or tricks I know to any haunters in need. Thanks for the comments, Shawnc!

chuck weber
05-25-2010, 04:16 PM
everyday. Incredible stuff you can just pick up and take. Travel the highways and byways with a big, open empty truck. You'll be surprised what you'll come back with. great props, furniture, and stuff you can use in your room scenes. You guys got it all going on! Good luck. The place looks great so far. It's all in just using your imagination.

Front Yard Fright
05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
It's looking great guys! Keep up the awesome work!

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 04:46 PM
everyday. Incredible stuff you can just pick up and take. Travel the highways and byways with a big, open empty truck. You'll be surprised what you'll come back with. great props, furniture, and stuff you can use in your room scenes. You guys got it all going on! Good luck. The place looks great so far. It's all in just using your imagination.

You got that right! If you look really close at the elevator picture...the buttons are actually shotgun shell tops shoved into foam. We ofcourse will paint and detail it all but its all about thinking outside the box.

Thanks for the compliments. We are pretty excited about the event.

xtremecreator
05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Looks Great!
I noticed you are using wood 2x4's and OSB in a non
cumbustible building. Did you check with the fire marshal? I know you can sometimes set up a temporary haunt and get away with it. But if its permanent they might require steel studs and such.

Thanks

freak 'n' stein
05-25-2010, 05:34 PM
AMAZING new attraction. I especially love the logo. The "Ticket Pods" are cool too!

I was also gonna comment on your panels. Are the OSB boards on 2x2 frames? Yours look slightly thinner than traditional haunt panels.

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED!!!

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Our panels are 2x2x8 frames with half inch OSB on them. Previously approved by our fire marshall. They requested a special Emergency exit system, however. We basically have a parameter hallway around the whole event as well as center halls between each section that all of our E-doors push out to. These halls all exit to a exterior fire exit and are properly lit at all times. I thought it would be a pain at first, but has proven to be quite efficiant in getting around our haunt :)

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-25-2010, 06:01 PM
I received a couple PM's regarding our furnace in the basement scene. We do not purchase vacuform panels. Although I would LOVE to, we just cannot afford it for our first year. The furnace was actually a wooden crate that something was shipped in, and we picked it up outside of a dumpster. We cut the drop panel door in it and trimmed it out.

Onto the bricks. I have a big pet peve when you are in a haunt and walk close to a practical prop or peice, and touch that peice... it should feel real. Now after going to a convention or two, your first thought would be to go with vacuform which is a great choice, but can get kind of pricey.

Here is what we do....

Go to your hardware store or Habitat Re Store (if you have those, they are amazing. A thrift store for building materials!!!) and purchase a cheep 5 gallon bucket of drywall mud and various sized mud spatulas.

Apply the mud quite heavy in the form of bricks. Once dry, paint the entire surface the desired color of your brick. When that drys - paint in the grout to your desired color. be sure to water down the grout paint. It should be a bit thicker than milk consistancy. This will help you get cleaner, smoother looking lines. From there, if you are feeling artsy you can go in and add low lights and highlights to each brick.

Easy distressing: Walmart sells colorplace BLACK cheap ass paint for like 80 cents a can. You can buy a case for less than 20 bucks and it will last you all season. This stuff will not cover anything solid - lets face it. you get what you pay for...but thats why you got it. Its cheap! It works fantastic for hitting the edges of props. costumes, etc for a darkened old distressed look.

Now when your customers touch your pillars, furnaces, or exposed brick showing through wallpaper - it will appear to be real brick, for a lot cheaper than the other routes.

I hope that helped.

-Erick

scarygoat
05-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Love what your doing! Would have never guessed what your budget was after seeing those sets!

Dreamreaper
05-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Looks great. You look like your doing very well with the budget.

halloweenroom
05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
eric,

Become a fan of Halloween Room and post something so I can find you. I looked for Hours, Do you know how many Erick James there are? LOL I would love to sit down and talk with you.

chuck weber
05-27-2010, 04:14 PM
probably want to pick up a few... thanks! .. good luck guys!

bonehead
05-27-2010, 05:41 PM
That is truly amazing work. From the photos you would think your spending a fortune.

chuck weber
05-27-2010, 06:46 PM
they're in business to make money and will with their frugal ways and commitment. I salute you and your sharing of your thrifty ideas to help other haunters in this economy and high risk (fun) business. Looking forward to more ideas thru photos and other information you have to offer. Thank you so much for your posts. Wishing you all only the best.

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-27-2010, 07:55 PM
we will have our t-shirts printed this summer hopefully. We are doing 2 versions. A classic horror style t and then a funny shirt with our 'humor slogan' and logo. "Don't scare me please...I poop easily." :)

newhorror2010
05-28-2010, 01:43 PM
we will have our t-shirts printed this summer hopefully. We are doing 2 versions. A classic horror style t and then a funny shirt with our 'humor slogan' and logo. "Don't scare me please...I poop easily." :)

LOL! Is that REALLY the 'humor slogan'? If so I definitely wanna order one! What color(s) do they come in?

chuck weber
05-28-2010, 04:27 PM
optional color .... one size fits new jersey

Darkblood
05-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Erick,
Looking FABULOUS! I love the awesome look on a cheap budget!
Keep up the good work and keep updating us!

Take care!

Kirk

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
LOL! Is that REALLY the 'humor slogan'? If so I definitely wanna order one! What color(s) do they come in?

Yes. It is our 'Humor Slogan' this first year. Havent decided on color yet. Would love some input! Does anyone know of the company who prints the whole shirt? Similar to the Darkness ones from the TW haunt tour sale?

Erick

Twin Locusts
06-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Amazing scenic design, if the ticket booth is any indication of your overall detail you're going to slay'em this season. Keep the photos posting; well done!

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I will post some more photos tonight. We have been working night and day to meet our completion deadline.

HauntedWisconsin
06-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Great job guys, can't wait to see more! We'll make sure we stop out and see you!

halloweenroom
06-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey Erick

i would like to come up there and help out as well as talk to you about a rather cool marketing idea i have... I will send you something on FB as soon as i am done playin on here:)

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-05-2010, 10:24 AM
I will post some more photos tonight. We have been working night and day to meet our completion deadline.

Cant find my SD card reader. Sorry for the delay on updated photos! :)

elowther
06-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Awesome post! Good to meet you guys at the HHA booth this year at TW.

You are kicking serious ass, everything looks great. I'm looking forward to watching more of your progress.

It get's tougher to post as crunch time nears. We all appreciate the sharing of your photos and ideas. Keep up the good work, you are off to an incredible start!

Eric

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Here are some pictures of the recent rooms/halls we have been working on.

shawng
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Keep up the wicked work and keep the photos coming! i cant beleive u did all this for $20K.

grantbrott
06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Love the work, great detail and amazing with the budget you have.

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Keep up the wicked work and keep the photos coming! i cant beleive u did all this for $20K.

Actually, you may be amazed to know that we have done it thus far for 8K. The original post said UNDER 20K! :)

Jim Warfield
06-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Over 23 years I have also spent a very small amount of $ on my haunt, because I had no money!
Haunt venders had to see me walk on by....
"I build stuff from junk too, but for some reason yours always looks better than mine?"
I educated this young man :"Maybe you just need a bigger junk pile?"
Looking for something "round?" How many round shapes do you see in your junk pile?
Buy a 3 1/2 inch grinder and cut that shape from the rest of the item it is in.
When I built the "Superbird" front end on my 79 Thunderbird the lower front pieces were "round " shapes cut from a 275 gallon fuel oil tank like everyone used to have in their basement for the old oil furnace.
People would look at this and say:"You took the front end off of a Chevy Lumina, didn't you?"
"I would pound a fist on it and say, "Think again!" As the heavy, low "Thud!" sound filled their ears.
I have cleaned out huge dumpsters full of "stuff", I have the technology to pull nails and saw off rotted board ends!
Over these last ten or so years I have actually bought a few items from local antique malls but I sure didn't pay very much for any of them.
I can find a more relaxed work atmosphere when I'm handling very inexpensive materials!
Are "We" having "Fun" yet? Sure looks like to me!

halloweenroom
06-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Words spoken from a very wise man, Jim! Way to go erick! stay under that budget bro! More money in your pocket and ultimately your haunt will be way better because it is built with love:)

Darkangel
06-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Yes, that is true if you can save money and build it yourself that is great!

BUT, unless you are very skilled and can build very well it may work for what you need and get you by but it probably won't look that great. I have watched countless videos from haunts and as many news features as can be found listed here or on youtube. The fact is, when the news crews come out to film they don't care much for painted walls or small details, they want to see the big stuff. They want to see the super cool props and facades, the Slayer animations and the huge jack in the box scares, the headless horseman and horse piece or the Yogoth and all the things like those. Thats what they film almost every time because its impressive, it's fascinates them and the viewers, and just looks great on camera. Also, guests walk so quickly through and the lighting is usually dark so many of the small but cool details are lost to all but other haunters and detail oriented people, artists and the like.

See this news feature from the Darkness and look how they focus almost entirely on their cool props...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlThZiFRnGU

Everything looks great in your haunt that you have posted you guys have done so much with very little. Good luck with everything.

DA

shawng
06-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Yeah, i mean, im impressed regardless, the scenic stuff is great, i do a little bit of that as well, but certainly not to that extent. Im impressed because I just compare numbers to numbers, i have spent $50,000 on props and animations (lots of unit 70, distortions and some scarefactory stuff) and i dont even have a pro haunt! (i do it for fun) :-), the scenery of my haunt is not that nice but people sure love the cool props!

Darkangel
06-08-2010, 09:26 AM
You must have one hell of a home haunt then Shawng!!!

shawng
06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Well, i have a property in the city i bought for redevelopment, there is a 50 year old bungalow on it that also has an attached butcher shop, also about 50 years old. So i gutted the house for 2009 and did a haunt there, and will do it in 2010 as well. So its more than a home haunt, since it is a dedicated haunted house for now, but i dont charge for it, so i guess its not really a commercial level.

chuck weber
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Redding (???) what state? thanks....

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I have to agree with you. I would have LOVED to buy tons of awesome props and such, but the goal of this first year is simply to create a quality looking attraction strongly focussed on the most important part. The scare. You can fill a haunt with tons of cool props and have the most amazing sets, but nothing beats a live actor. With this said, we decided to bring it back to basics and only BUY the basics. (skelletons, small props, corpses, heads, etc) We want to spend as little as possible so within years to come we can grow into larger props and sets. We already have the building prepped for air distro and psnumatic props - its just a matter of prioritizing! :)

shawng
06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Totally, and like i said, im super impressed with the look so far, i need to bring your scenic design with my $$$ Props and it would be a match made in....hell. :-)

shawng
06-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I had a question for you about your wall prints / wall paper. Are you using wallpaper or did you buy / make stamps. if so where can i get them!?

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I had a question for you about your wall prints / wall paper. Are you using wallpaper or did you buy / make stamps. if so where can i get them!?

We just bought that stencil on sale at our local Hobby Lobby for 6 bucks and painted it right on the pannels. It looks even more impressive in scene lighting.

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Greetings! Here are some shots of what we have worked on this past weekend! We wanted to focus on completing a good part of the last section of our haunt, which is a rather large Asylum.

1st: The entrance of the Asylum through the jungle hall

2nd: We pulled one of those silly dancing santa's out of a dumpster, ripped his head off, put a new one on and made this statue out of him. We also made a exact replica costume and mask for an actor to be on the opposite side of her.

3rd: Rounding the corner into the surgery/therapy room

4th: A prop pil cart for one of the Asylum nurses

5th: Costumes for the completed areas being detailed

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-14-2010, 09:29 AM
A quick look at some of our 'Backstage' areas!

1st: A veiw of our holding room/breakroom

2nd: Another veiw of the holding/breakroom

3rd: Make-up and Wardrobe

4th: Our prop/set dressing storage room is slowly dwindling. This will eventually become our tool storage.

shawng
06-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Surgery.jpg (surgery room) looks wicked!

halloweenroom
06-14-2010, 09:32 AM
LOVE It bro! keep it up!

coasterfreak63
06-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Looks absolutly amazing.

I cant believe your doing this all on a tight budget.

I never would have thought that statue was once a dancing santa, and with a matching comstume for an actor that should be a pretty good scare.

Im curious did you buy this building or are rent because its a great building, very nice break and costume rooms.

Cant wait to see more of your progress.

xxxdirk
06-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Congrats guys, looking very nice. Drove past on 441 sat and say quite a few cars there. I am hoping to start my build in the next few weeks. Ron

HELLRAZZORS
06-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Looks awesome.....

SomeThingInTheIce
06-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Very nice and how cool that you turned Santa to the Dark Side.lol.

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the compliments, guys!

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Came across this a couple weeks ago. Painted this face on myself a few years ago. I freakin love wolfe Fx. Highly reccomend it.

Pumpkin King
06-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Everything looks so amazing! Everything seems so complete! What'll you be working on for the next few months? lol

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Here are some simple text logos I created for branding our staff merchandise.

We have been calling our actors the Minions from the start and the five of us creating the event call ourselves the 'Disciples.' It has worked great for apponting athority figures and has made our minions step up in hopes of becoming a Disciple one day.

Give me your feedback! Again. Just meant to be simple text brandings for tshirts, sweatshirts and such.

HELLRAZZORS
06-16-2010, 08:12 PM
cool i like it.....

WeAreTheUnion
06-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Man I wish you guys weren't all the way in Wisconsin! I really want to check this place out.

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Filming our first commerical tonight!!!!! We have been busting our ass to finish scenes, sections and costumes for this shoot. Wish us luck!

Photos will be posted soon!

iamscared2009
06-21-2010, 11:43 AM
wow, we have loved what you have done sooooo far...will you be posting more pics? thanks jay and yen

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Jay,
We will post some pics tonight of our commercial shoot as well as some other areas that we completed.

halloweenroom
06-21-2010, 01:05 PM
I like that Disciples and Minions thing! Good Idea! T shirts are cool as well! Good luck tonight! cant wait to see the trailer! Keep us up to date!

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Here is some behind the scenes footage of our commericial shoot last night. Cant wait to see this thing complete. From the shots I saw, it should be pretty kick butt.

Check out our cool asylum masks we made for a section of our Asylum. I thought they turned out quite creepy.

fdspmmZdVrs

chuck weber
06-22-2010, 09:49 PM
great artwork

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Here are some of the shots from our first Commercial Shoot.
Comment and Enjoy! :)

1st: Our cool Asylum masks we made modeled after Creature Corps.

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Here are some more for viewing. Again. Shots from the commercial shoot.

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Here is the last of the photos I had. Let me know what you think. The majority of them are from our 'Birthing Room' in our Asylum. Probably the most grotesque scene we have.

shawng
06-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Very cool, and yes, the asylum masks are wicked

VSneader2
06-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Very cool photos.

Did you use the cheap walmart paint for all your distressing? How did you get the light black streaks on the wall?

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Very cool photos.

Did you use the cheap walmart paint for all your distressing? How did you get the light black streaks on the wall?

I use that spraypaint daily! The light black paint is simply some balck paint mixed with water (about milk consitency) and put in a disposable spray bottle. Does the trick quite nice. Shelac works great but is about 30 bucks a gallon. Gives a nice schene, tho.

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I use that spraypaint daily! The light black paint is simply some balck paint mixed with water (about milk consitency) and put in a disposable spray bottle. Does the trick quite nice. Shelac works great but is about 30 bucks a gallon. Gives a nice schene, tho.

As much as I buy that cheap walmart spraypaint...I bet those walmart associates are waiting to see me on an episode of INTERVENTION :shock:

graystone
06-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Looking good buddy looking good! Shane and its I am proud of ya! Shane this time!

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks Shane! We sure are tryin! Cant wait for your party next year!

elowther
06-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Looking great guys! Thanks for sharing your progress.

Eric

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-25-2010, 05:36 PM
We are getting some of our merchandise for the season in!!!!

Some people said they wanted some shirts. They are in!

Shirts: $12.00
Coffee Mug Tumblers: $6.00
Can Koozies: $2.00

HELLRAZZORS
06-25-2010, 06:56 PM
looks cool i like the bat wings.....

dawn408
06-25-2010, 07:55 PM
The can cozy is hysterical.

SomeThingInTheIce
06-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Ah, I love it! You are the Gene Simmions of haunting, when he and Paul started Kiss, Gene was all about the branding and now Kiss is the most branded music group in history. Get your name out there and on the most products you can, very awesome.

piercemanor
06-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Do you guys have a website up yet? Make sure its good though, its one of the first things people see about your haunt, and you want to make the best first impression as possible! hmmm, i suppose ive learned from the best. I live in the best place for a person like me, with a pro haunt not 5 miles from my house. Spend about every day over there. I have learned a LOT! Oh, and thanx 4 all the advice HaunterX!

chuck weber
06-27-2010, 10:26 PM
now, where are you hiding those HOOTERS girls???

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Well as usual - we have been bustin' it to reach our completion goal of July 31. Today we completed our roach hallway and put up our hand painted banner. This was a much easier route than paying to get one printed. We just needed some basic text and the logo to let people know we were here, being a first year haunt. We are located directly off a main highway stretch - which hopefully will prove to be a nice benefit.

There is also a pic of a water feature alter we are making in our large swamp/grave yard scene. It will be all foam carved and sprayed.

Last but not least - another pic from the video shoot a couple weeks ago. This is me putting makeup on one of our actors.

Darkangel
06-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Looks cool. The shirts might sell but I doubt the other things will but your actors would love them I'm sure!

DA

FEAR ASYLUM
06-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Dark angel you are always negative in just about every one of your posts sounds to me like your jealous . Oblivion you guys keep kicking ass and taking names . And keep up the killer positive attitudes , cause you guys are gonna smoke em .

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Looks cool. The shirts might sell but I doubt the other things will but your actors would love them I'm sure!

DA

We will upsell the coffee mugs with hot chocolate and they will go like mad. We have done this at another haunt I worked with and they were quite popular. We are doing can koozies just because I wanted some for beer. ;)

Rippersrevenge
06-29-2010, 08:38 PM
I just picked up on this thread and you guys are living my dream! You guys ooze talent and will go far! What an awesome achievement on such a small budget! Which brings me to my question, how can you afford the logos, merchandise, build, and huge building on a 20K budget (we are hoping to open a charity haunt next Halloween so very budget constricted as well)? It is really amazing as everything is extremely professional looking. I hope you are documenting everything as eventually writing a book and/or speaking at haunter's conventions should really be in your future.

I might just investigate how long it will take to drive from Ohio to Wisconsin to check out your haunt this season!

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
I just picked up on this thread and you guys are living my dream! You guys ooze talent and will go far! What an awesome achievement on such a small budget! Which brings me to my question, how can you afford the logos, merchandise, build, and huge building on a 20K budget (we are hoping to open a charity haunt next Halloween so very budget constricted as well)? It is really amazing as everything is extremely professional looking. I hope you are documenting everything as eventually writing a book and/or speaking at haunter's conventions should really be in your future.

I might just investigate how long it will take to drive from Ohio to Wisconsin to check out your haunt this season!

We have actually only spent 8k on construction costs of wall panels, etc. All props and merch is coming out of our own pockets whenever we feel like purchasing. The logos were done by myself, self taught in photoshop. Our website was a main investment (and an important one) being completed as we speak by Chad Savage of Sinister Visions. (www.sinistervisions.com) I HIGHLY reccomend him. Hes GREAT to work with!

Come on out and check us out! We would love to have you! Let me know if you come and we can set up a pre show tour.

freak 'n' stein
06-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Oblivion...only 8k?! wowwwww!!! Definitely a haunt I look up to!!! Can't wait until my day.

Is your merch set up in an online store? cafepress, etc?! I want a koozie!!!!! Awesome idea to upsell the mugs with hot chocolate...true industry visionaries :) !!

Darkangel
06-30-2010, 06:37 AM
Oblivian,

Thats a great idea using the mugs for selling hot chocolate, I wasn't thinking that! What do they sell for as an upcharge and do you recommend a good source for having the mugs made with logos? Interesting.... This is where having a great logo pays off!

Thanks,
DA

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Oblivian,

Thats a great idea using the mugs for selling hot chocolate, I wasn't thinking that! What do they sell for as an upcharge and do you recommend a good source for having the mugs made with logos? Interesting.... This is where having a great logo pays off!

Thanks,
DA

We ordered ours from Discountmugs.com

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-01-2010, 11:59 AM
What a class act you are. College education really shows with you. I'll be in St.Louis in March, and if you plan to find me don't bother booking multiple nights at the hotel. All talk no action and yes I know how crooked you are Mike!

Oblivian didn't need or ask you to stick for him I didn't think certain things would sell but he's creative with his concept and they will and he was kind about it and not offended as it wasn't meant to offend. Mind your business. PM me if you wish stop detracting from his thread.

DA

Easy, gents. If you have an issue with one another please work it out personally and not on the hauntworld forum. I was not offended in the least.
All is well. Lets take a breath.

IF YOUR 555
07-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Looking good guys!

FablesStudios
07-01-2010, 12:30 PM
You guys are doing great! I Wanna by a poo thing! I'm thinking about bringing my crew up your way early in the season to see your haunt. Its only about 3 hrs from chicago.

Keep up the bad ass work!

Pete
FS

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
You guys are doing great! I Wanna by a poo thing! I'm thinking about bringing my crew up your way early in the season to see your haunt. Its only about 3 hrs from chicago.

Keep up the bad ass work!

Pete
FS

Absoluetly! Just let me know and we can set up a tour.

Darkangel
07-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks Erick, I meant no offense in the least. Glad you felt that way.

Back to what matters, everything is looking great!

DA

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-04-2010, 01:20 AM
qf6qXIbYbq0

sn0w
07-04-2010, 10:20 AM
My first post to these forums. I've been lurking since forever...

Oblivion you are living my dream, you are doing exactly what I want to do with the same budget. Your sets look incredible, you could have said you had a 100k budget and fooled everyone no problem.

Keep posting things, this is one of my favorite threads on the internet!!

Darkangel
07-04-2010, 10:41 AM
snOw,

Welcome to the board! You should post in the introduce yourself thread!

DA

Darkangel
07-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Hey Fear Asylum,

Happy 4th of July buddy!

DA

FEAR ASYLUM
07-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Happy fourth to you to dark angel. I'm calling a truce this us not productive for either of us . Oblivion you Guys keep kicking ass man and if you were to write a book I would by it good luck to you guys I wish I had half the talent you guys do

sn0w
07-07-2010, 09:36 AM
snOw,

Welcome to the board! You should post in the introduce yourself thread!

DA

My introduction is up!

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-09-2010, 09:45 PM
qFty0w0HmvA

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Howdy, yall! It has been ages since a progress post, I feel - but I will try to get some photos up tonight. - Here is what we have been working on at the haunt:

We have been dilligently working on our gift shop area (you exit the haunt through the gift shop) and all of its merchandise. Thus far we are selling beanie hats, sweatshirts, pens, can koozies, mugs, stickers and tshirts. We are also partnering with other local haunts to sell their tickets at our gift shop (and visa versa) for a slightly discounted rate. I figure if they already paid to see us this season, why not send them another haunters way.

The Asylum section is coming along quite nicely. We have an awesome breakaway door with an inmate that flys over your head on a beam trolly. Should be a good scare.

Our large outdoor scene is shaping up and we have created a lot of good hiding places for actors to pop out of.

Our spider cave is sprayed and almost done being detailed.

Recently did a walk through with Bert from Minispotlight.com and cannot wait to see his lighting take shape. This guy is amazing!

We decided last weekend to build a small faced on the entrace on the warehouse. It turned out to be not so small.

Cant wait to see more of everyone elses progress (folklore, Haunted High, Front Yard Fright, Disturbia, Haunted Overload, Etc!)

Cheers!

halloweenroom
07-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Can't wait to meet you guys this weekend:) I am super excited to "talk Haunt" with someone other than my wife.

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Can't wait to meet you guys this weekend:) I am super excited to "talk Haunt" with someone other than my wife.

Ha ha - Same here!
We are excited to meet you guys as well! We shall have cold beverages ready for you. :)

danglin
07-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Guys,
The pictures look great. I have no doubt that you will have an awesome haunt! I wish I had time to go check it out. Best of luck and keep the pictures coming. I know its a pain to update these pictures all the time, but I know I love seeing other's progress, so keep it up.

Good luck, and happy haunting!
Dewayne

Dreamreaper
07-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Your commercial looks great.

halloweenroom
07-25-2010, 08:32 PM
This is fair warning to all who are Haunted House Owners attending Oblivion Haunted House!!! YOU WILL GET ICED!!!http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs210.snc4/38831_1546590071537_1438601785_1458990_815039_n.jp g

We made a two hour road trip to check out the hype and yes, it is all that is, and more. If anyone is within driving distance you must stop by and meet Erick and his crew! Great guys and a over the top haunt! Keep it up fellas, and sleep with one eye open cause I will get my revenge on you:)

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-26-2010, 11:14 AM
HA HA HA this is great! We have plans in the works - so dont get to pumped about your 'revenge'!

It was great meeting you guys! We will have to make a trip to see your place in the near future.

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-26-2010, 11:20 AM
This is fair warning to all who are Haunted House Owners attending Oblivion Haunted House!!! YOU WILL GET ICED!!!http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs210.snc4/38831_1546590071537_1438601785_1458990_815039_n.jp g

We made a two hour road trip to check out the hype and yes, it is all that is, and more. If anyone is within driving distance you must stop by and meet Erick and his crew! Great guys and a over the top haunt! Keep it up fellas, and sleep with one eye open cause I will get my revenge on you:)

And for all of you who do not know what being 'Iced' is - it started out as a fraternity stunt called 'bro's Icing bro's' where frat brothers would randomly show up and pull out a Smirnoff Ice. The other bro would have to crack it open, get down on one knee and slam the ice wherever he was. However, if the opposing brother has an Ice on him - he sheilds the need to drink and passes it to the giving brother. The guys from Haunted High came by last weekend to check our place out and we iced him through a drop panel in the haunt. IT.WAS.AMAZING. !

The Doctor
07-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Everything looks amazing, love the commercial and all the detail, good luck on the season look forward to seeing you guys again.

Haunts of Richmond
07-26-2010, 09:30 PM
The guys from Haunted High came by last weekend to check our place out and we iced him through a drop panel in the haunt. IT.WAS.AMAZING. !

That's pretty epic. Great job! Ha. :cool:

Ryan

hauntman666
07-27-2010, 07:45 PM
awesome work guys definitely have to come check you guys out and possibly come help out sometime this year too

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-28-2010, 10:52 AM
www.oblivionhauntedhouse.com is up and running. Thanks to Chad Savage for an awesome job!

Check it out!

shawng
07-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Cool, but your about us page tells me you can go back in time.... do you have a delorean?

The disciples of Oblivion are an elite group of scenic, makeup, costuming, lighting and construction professionals who have years of haunted attraction experience undertow. Construction on Oblivion began in November of 2010 and will run all the way into September of 2010.

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Cool, but your about us page tells me you can go back in time.... do you have a delorean?

The disciples of Oblivion are an elite group of scenic, makeup, costuming, lighting and construction professionals who have years of haunted attraction experience undertow. Construction on Oblivion began in November of 2010 and will run all the way into September of 2010.

Yes. this revision has been sent. Mind you he just posted the site - so little things like this will probably pop up.

FablesStudios
07-28-2010, 11:52 AM
nice website!!

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-02-2010, 02:55 PM
As we roll into August - we are scrambling to meet our deadline (which has passed!) Needless to say we are about a week off of schedule. Not bad if I say so myself. I have been in many worse places.

Here is a video of this past weekend. We decided recently to build a facade and add some moving intelligent lights to capture attention off the highway since we cannot get a search light for our location.

Check it out.
k_-X2pg1Sew

Front Yard Fright
08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
The facade looks GREAT!
Keep up the great work!
:).

shawng
08-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Can you post some actual high res pics of the facade?

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Can you post some actual high res pics of the facade?

We didnt take any photos yet - I will try to this week sometime.

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
-lFcrXkI0WE

VSneader2
08-02-2010, 04:38 PM
On your media page the link to buy tickets online links you back to the media page instead of the ticket page, same with the be a monster page. you may want to check them all. overall it looks good.

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
On your media page the link to buy tickets online links you back to the media page instead of the ticket page, same with the be a monster page. you may want to check them all. overall it looks good.

Checked it. The monster link worked fine, the ticketing link isnt active yet because we just got our ticketing portal set up about 5 minutes ago :)

Thanks!

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Recently had a photographer come in and take some professional shots of some of our rooms for the website. They turned out really good so I thought I would share.

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Some more photos...

Dreamreaper
08-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Great imagination, thanks for sharing...

chuck weber
08-05-2010, 08:24 PM
detail to the max! place looks great. keep it going! just goes to show you what a REAL PROFESSIONAL photographer can do for the look of your haunt.

brad
08-05-2010, 10:49 PM
You guys are creating one hell of a show on your budget. I commend you guy sbig time on your efforts.

Great work, and keep it up!!

HauntedPaws
08-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Do you think your under charging? I went to a crappy hayride in my area and it was $15 but I'm in the Northeast.

HauntedPaws
08-05-2010, 11:50 PM
On your commercial is it for TV spots or the internet? Also might wanna take off the other branding you have at the end as people might get confused with so many things called oblivion?

Darkangel
08-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Really cool images, perfect lighting great job guys!

DA

Dalloween
08-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Beautiful detailing work Erick.

Jim

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the comments, guys! The glory of it all is the photographer cost me nothing. He is one of our lead actors and a student of mine. It's all about talking to your crew and finding out their talents. Same with the video. Cost me nothing.

My philosiphy is always to try to find something free. If you cant find it free - try to make it yourself. If you cannot make it yourself - find it cheap. If that fails - Buy it.

We are pluggin away over hear and almost done with the entire event. We are sitting at 9,000 dollars spent on the event build itself. The building cost comes off part of the tickets purchased at the door (this does NOT include online sales.)

Minispotlight.com is doing all of our lighting which should be installed here sometime soon. Again - I HIGHLY reccomend Bert from Minispotlight. The man is a lighting genius and VERY reasonable!

I will add yet some more photos that we had taken recently.

Cheers!

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Another great tip for those with medical scenes, asylums, etc. I found out that our local police station takes and disposes of prescription drugs. I went and explained that I was building a medical scene in my haunt and wondered what they did with the empty bottles. I came to find out that they recycle all of the bottles.

They now call me when they have a box full. I pick them up and they already have had people color over the names on the bottles with sharpies. It's amazing. Not saying this will work in your area - but worth a try for that added touch of detail!

Forgot to mention - I also got x-rays this way from a local doctor. Old abandoned copies of x-rays. It was amazing.

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Do you think your under charging? I went to a crappy hayride in my area and it was $15 but I'm in the Northeast.

We really wanted to focus on being the least expensive event for this area - this season. Next year we will probably jump to the standard around here which is about $14.00. We have also left about 8,000 square feet of the building un-used in hopes of expanding the attraction or building a second. We havent decided, but I would love one LARGE event for one LOW price.

Pumpkin King
08-06-2010, 02:40 PM
That detail is AMAZING! World class haunt you guys! It's incredible how little you spent!

FablesStudios
08-06-2010, 03:24 PM
You guys will have a great year!! Everything looks great!

Peter T
FS

coasterfreak63
08-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Everything just looks amazing, all the little details look awesome.

With a haunt as high quality as yours and with your low price your bound to have an amazing season.

Look forward to seeing it all lit up.

jakprintsHAUNT
08-08-2010, 12:09 PM
This place is looking great...will have to put on my list of haunts to see when I'm not haunting...thats the only downfall of working in haunts yourself is not getting to see others as often.

Mike "Pogo" Hach

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-09-2010, 12:09 PM
As requested - here are some high res photos of our 'quick facade'
We built it in a weekend. This cost us $200.00 and can be fully broken down.
We added some moving lights and flashy flashy -ness since we are next to the highway.

shawng
08-09-2010, 12:12 PM
$200? Thats insane. Did you build it out of cardboard? LOL. But seriously is it mostly plywood and paint? How did you weatherproof it?

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
$200? Thats insane. Did you build it out of cardboard? LOL. But seriously is it mostly plywood and paint? How did you weatherproof it?

We got a 5 gallon bucket of exterior primer in the mix of paints that was donated to us from a local paint store. Again - for all you haunters:

Most high end/corporate paint stores need to PAY to remove their mis tints from their stores and will donate it to you if you are a non profit. We got all of our base paints from there. Its a pain because you need to find the MSDS forms (if your inspector requires that) but other than that - its free paint!

It is just all 4x8 panels, sprayed and painted with exterior paint. The rivets are a HEX dowel that we chopped into 1'' peices. Window pannels are just that cheap drop ceiling light fixture plastic. Distressed with the glorious cheap spray paint (which fades the longer its out, and looks even more awesome)

The pannels are number on the backside and bolted together. There is access to the cages on the second level for actors, as well as behind the windows.

shawng
08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Uber impressed as per usual, if you do design work for other haunts, i might be open to throwing some biz your way.

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-09-2010, 08:12 PM
I have done haunted house design and consultations for other haunts. PM me your thoughts and needs and we can go from there. :)

graystone
08-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Everything is looking just great! Keep it up man I am impressed! Shane and its way to go! Shane this time!

shawng
08-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Dont have any specific need right yet, but considering a larger project next year and would likely need the help. I will certainly keep this in mind!

Dark Scares
08-09-2010, 10:55 PM
You guys are amazing...

WastelandMike
08-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Awsome place!!

halloweenroom
08-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Lookin Good Erick! Thanks for the Heads up on Bert with Minispotlight! We are using him as well to light our Haunt! Ordered a boatload of lights last week! Should see them very soon! You are the man!

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Lookin Good Erick! Thanks for the Heads up on Bert with Minispotlight! We are using him as well to light our Haunt! Ordered a boatload of lights last week! Should see them very soon! You are the man!

Did you tell him we sent you?

jakprintsHAUNT
08-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Love that facade! Simple, but effective...and best of all you did it cost effectively! Can't beat that.

Mike "Pogo" Hach

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Another cool cheap thrill - and some of you may have thought of this already!

With limited space on our ticket booths - we have been searching for a way maximize our advertising space before the customers are "in the zone"

Without putting print ads all over the ticket booth for gift shop sale items, concessions, upgrades, etc -I was stumped to find a soluntion.

I was at walmart last night and found some digital frames on sale. I created some ad images (ticket prices, "add us on facebook!" etc) loaded them onto the frames and they just fade through the images. They deffinatly are bright and eye catching! I will be hanging these in the top windows of our ticket booths. They even make some models that play video and sound - but I chose to get a large screen for the same price rather than a smaller screen that plays video.

Just thought I would share the idea.

supermatic
08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
What a great idea.
I'm going to Walmart and our ticket que is going hi tech- thanks.

-Bill

halloweenroom
08-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I did tell him that you sent me but I am still waiting on the lights...... Its been three weeks! Maybe I shouldn't of used your name Erick:)

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-20-2010, 12:15 PM
It's probably because hes working on my haunt :)

No big deal. I am still waiting on Merch from TRANSWORLD

Webgun, heads, costumes, etc

halloweenroom
08-20-2010, 02:27 PM
It's probably because hes working on my haunt :)

No big deal. I am still waiting on Merch from TRANSWORLD

Webgun, heads, costumes, etc

Well if you run into him tell him to get on the stick! LOL

soulhasdied
08-24-2010, 01:42 PM
WOW!!! Great job..Looks really good. Have a great season.

OblivionHauntedHouse
10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
WOW! Havent posted in AGES!

It has been a crazy journey to build my own haunt and I couldnt be more happy! The season is going very well (minus some local "haunt rivalry - a bit ridiculous at times) but other than that, FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC!

Thanks again for all the help and support!

Here are some pics of Oblivion Actors in makeup, etc. ENJOY! (video tour soon to come!)

OblivionHauntedHouse
10-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Some more photos...

OblivionHauntedHouse
10-28-2010, 11:24 AM
I did some wicked makeup last night on our birthing room actress. Though I would share.

HauntedOzarks
10-28-2010, 11:41 AM
You guys do some amazing makeup work. Great job!

chuck weber
10-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Is gonna give that show a bad name. Hopefully, you'll get your stuff (eventually) damn, the show was back in the winter time, and you're still waiting? Those guys suck !!!! (whoever they are!)

chuck weber
10-28-2010, 06:04 PM
I'd love to see this place !!!!!!

Pumpkin King
10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
WOW! All that makeup is incredible!

TerrorNightMare14
11-01-2010, 11:53 PM
just wondering how everything turned out for your first year?

OblivionHauntedHouse
11-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Here is a small video of our 2010 season. Full video tour soon to come.

myFhWmQtepw