PDA

View Full Version : Transworld 2011 New Floor Plan

drfrightner
06-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm sure many vendors already seen the new 2011 Transworld Halloween and Haunt Show floor plan but for those who haven't it might be avail for download on their website.

ITS HUGE!

The show is now back to being massive... I have a few opinions about this so let me share. I'm happy for those who wanted the shows back together, and well even though I will stick by my claims we have nothing in common with the Halloween retail show, there is some synergy to be had but not really much.

I am so happy we had our own show for two straight years, and well our shows ROCKED while the haunt shows BLEW... we showed them lock stock and smoking barrel the Halloween retailers need us more than we need them.

So now that we showed who is boss, in terms of the Halloween retail shows need our vendors more than we need theirs I think its okay to once again re-unite the two shows.

Our industry first and foremost needed the organizers to understand US without any Halloween retail involved... we needed a chance to grow our side of the World, without any focus on Halloween retail.

Now TW understands we are a pretty big industry, that needs its own education, its own focus, its own commitment, and is worth a major investment rather than being some side show.

Additionally the Halloween retailers will probably now give TW a second chance because they WANT TO SEE the haunt stuff, this gives them DOUBLE the reason to attend the show, something HOUSTON WILL NOT HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm on board 110% to HELP Transworld put a sock in those who wanted us gone, to those who said we were worthless, to those who said we don't matter... well now we have a chance to SAVE Transworld's Halloween Retail show and I think its time we help them.

I think TW has shown our industry the last two years nothing but positive support, and took a leap of faith to give us what HE HAD TO HAVE... now whatever I can do for them I will do!

I ask you all to do the same!

Lets save Transworld's Retail Show and ROCK THE SOCKS off Houston!

The show is back to being MASSIVE... an hour long walk at least!

I think now we are safe from TW or anyone ever simply saying the haunts are an after thought, because now we are the only bone they have to bring back to the Halloween retailers and I say lets show the doubters once and for all who RUNS THIS THING!

Haunts baby Haunts!

Larry

halloweenroom
06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Larry

Please fill me in on what happen years Back? Could you send me a link to a thread that gets me up to speed on this? I am on both sides of this coin and would like to know being a new haunt owner as well as a owning an online retail store.

Dan

kpolley
06-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Dan,

It's a long and drawn out mess but here are the bullet points:

- the shows had been together for a long time, but haunters we treated like second class citizens
- 2 years ago there was a lot of turmoil surrounding the show's location, date, attendance, etc.
- haunt vendors took the oppurtunity to split away from the retail show and start a new show in STL
- while the retail shows TANKED...the haunt show RCOKED
- now after 2 years of poor attendance the retailers want to come back to us because we have seen great success

Basically, all of those people who wanted us gone for the longest time now are desperate to have us back. Sometimes getting what you want doesn't turn out the way you'd thought it would.

At any rate, Larry's right. 2011 is going to be INSANE! The shows are back together, haunters are on top, and the future is looking bright...

Jolly Pumpkin
06-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Without Halloween October would just be another month and haunted houses wouldn't exist. So the haunt industry definately needs Halloween. I said a couple years ago on this forum that if you seperate Halloween and Haunts, one is bound to fail and that's what happened. They can't thrive without each other and you'll see that once they are joined together, there will be a slight increase in sales for the haunt side of the show and a huge increase for the Halloween side.

In 2011 there will be a big respect for the haunt side from Transworld, but you'll see that over the years Halloween will become their primary focus once again. Come on, it's called The Halloween and Attractions Show Featuring The Haunt Show. We're on the bottom with dark red letters. We're just like people in Arizona having to show their papers. We are going to be treated like second rate citizens once again.

Darkangel
06-11-2010, 08:39 AM
I agree we're only kiddiing ourselves if we think we're any where close to as big as Halloween. We exist because Halloween does, not the other way around...

DA

Nightgore
06-11-2010, 10:06 AM
I think you all are missing the point... no, we CANNOT exist without Halloween... but we can without halloween RETAIL!! I think that's what Larry is trying to get across. We can survive if the Halloween RETAIL industry bottoms out... but the actual calendar holiday will always be here and haunts would not be here without it! -Tyler

damon carson
06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Its a double edge sword! But personally I think its great the two are back together. Lets make the most of it. Chicago is now in St. Louis!
Damon

kpolley
06-11-2010, 10:31 AM
The retailers found out the hard way that they need us...we DON'T need them. In fact, I'd be just fine if they never did come back...but since they are I think we need to give them another chance. The problem here is that we continue to operate under the assumption that haunters are just "along for the ride" and what happens will happen. We have shown that we can produce a show without retailers that is very successful and if, in a couple years, things start to go south again we can just pack up and leave again...we have all the cards now. The retailers haven't got a leg to stand on.

Oh...and what a weird place to drop a negative comment about Arizona...

Darkangel
06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Tyler you're missing the point too. It's not the Holiday Halloween I'm referring to it's the business of Halloween, the whole season. It's not until Halloween retail hits the shelves that our numbers start going up. We follow retails lead. People start thinking about Halloween and therefore going to haunts after retail starts kicking in. As more and more stores start with their Halloween displays and sales people's interest goes up more and more and it translates into them wanting to experience more, like going to our haunts. Without Halloween, we would not be anywhere near where we are today.

As far as the convention is concerned numbers were considerably higher when the two were together vs. just a haunt show. We proved we can do our own show but it's still on such a small scare you can walk any haunt show in a few minutes whereas the Halloween show is way bigger. We stand to benefit by being associated with the Halloween retail side and haunt vendors will start seeing more business. Even in the past ouple years you are seeing retail chains like Spirit selling more and more larger props and basic animations. It wont be long until there is a growing group of home haunters and those that do big parties for Halloween looking to buy some of pro haunt quality pieces, bringing the two together helps facilitate this process....

DA

Dalloween
06-11-2010, 12:03 PM
With retail there... we better start booking our hotel rooms now. It's going to be packed!

HELLRAZZORS
06-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I try ed to book a hotel on the haashow.com...but says more details soon....

HELLRAZZORS
06-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I just try ed to book one at the Renaissance for that weekend and there all booked...i tryed at crowne plaza down the street from the convention center....and got it... they said they have few rooms left....stayed there last show....great hotel for the price....they said they will adjust the price if the convention sponsers it.....good luck and start booking....

halloweenroom
06-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Ok, here is how i see it. Haunters are a creative bunch, we love to create things from practically nothing and we also love to share that knowledge with our friends. A sense of pride takes place while explaining that you made something cool out of nothing at all. There is very very little creativeness in retail. It is more business strategy and 2 years ago a business decision was made. We as haunters were left out, but i think the reason why we rocked it was our network of friends in this haunt industry is so tight that it is almost like family. Hence the reason the Haunt show is so successful. Its not only going to see what is new but talking to old friends as well as meeting all the new people in the industry that is Haunted Houses. Retail just realized that they need to "kiss ass" for lack of a better term. It is like FB in a way, you cant hard sell to a haunter like in retail halloween, retail is all about the numbers they dont take the time to build a relationship they only care about making a quota, and the way of the future is all about who you know and if you are a nice guy or not. Price will follow behind that. If retail doesn't figure that out they will shoot themselves in the foot.

I say open our arms to retail, network like hell and if someone is an ASs we will let everyone know. Our voice in the haunt industry has grown significantly! Who cares where we are in the sign!

This is my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Dan

halloweenroom
06-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Hellrazzors

I just booked from tuesday to sunday at renaissance grand 110.00 a night. I also asked him about rooms and he told me its booking quickly. But many are still out there! get your rooms now boys!

SM

Darkangel
06-11-2010, 02:05 PM
What ate the dates of the show?

Thanks,
DA

HELLRAZZORS
06-11-2010, 02:17 PM
your right halloween room.....they put me on a waiting list earler i just called them and they got it for $110 a night.......dates are march 10th thru the 13 th....

xxxdirk
06-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Yeah, dont know why, but I also just booked mine. Got 2 rooms at the $110 price. Figured, IF Tworld has a better price, I can cancel that reservation and go with tw price. If I decide NOT to go, I am still out nothing but the cost of the phone call. REgardless I have 2 rooms reserved.... MWAAAAHAAAHAAAA

halloweenroom
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
That is the TW price xxxdirk, when you call tell them what the event is and then they give you the discount!

graystone
06-11-2010, 09:12 PM
TransWorld has blocks of rooms so no need to panic! Shane and its whos coming to my party? Shane this time!

xxxdirk
06-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Shane, is your party on Wed again?

brad
06-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Shane, I'l try to be the first one to buy tickets to yur party again!

And as far as the show being combined again... I have mixed feelings about it. Im looking forward to possible more low end vendors showing up due to the larger amount of attendees, but I'm afarid we might get shunned again like in past years.

I really have no more need for a Halloween vendor anymore, but who know, I might find something I like there.

And since it's pretty apparent that they need us, they betterallow us to walk thru and possibly buy some stuff. They better not give us "Haunt Only" badges to us at this show. We should be allowed to walk thru both shows just as the Halloween soppers are allowed to.

graystone
06-12-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't know yet I know alot of my vendor friends missed it because they were still setting up I may do it on Thursday night but that's not set in stone. Shane and its I will work on it soon! Shane this time!

HELLRAZZORS
06-12-2010, 08:10 AM
i wish it was friday...not coming into town till fri morning.....looking forward to your party shane....i always miss it by a day....:lol:

kpolley
06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
So...not to beat a horse that died long ago...but I just want to clear up som e misinformation that's being discussed here.

First, we were not kicked out of the show two years ago. We chose to leave it because we knew we could carry our own show and we had wanted it for years. We made the decision...not the retailers.

Second, it comes up over and over that the show is smaller. That's true, but compared to the "haunt show" section of years past it has been much larger the past two years. Having the retailers back with us (and remember that...THEY are back with US, not US back with THEM) will bring in more vendors and more buyers obviously...but so would colocating with an HVAC convention. Don't get me wrong, I'm supporting the show and am glad the retailers are coming back with us, but I don't think it is really going to have much of a positive impact on my sales. Retailers rarely buy from me. Some do, but they came to the show to see me the past two years when we were haunt only. Places like Spirits will NEVER buy any of our haunt props. I know some haunt vendors make retail grade props to sell to retailers and that's cool, but our normal haunt stuff will never end up in a Spirits store. If it's not made in China to be sold here at a 1000% mark-up they're not interested.

Lastly, I'll take a defensive position for TW. I didn't really trust them at the start of the haunt only show two years ago. I think my feelings were well documented. For the most part, they have een very good to us the past two years and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt when they tell us that we stuck with them when the retailers didn't and that won't be forgotten. If the combined show gets big and healthy again it's because they came back to US and I think TW will remember that. If they don't...we can always leave again. ;)

The fact is, the shows are back and I do think it's going to be great for everybody. I'm fully supporting TW decision to colocate the shows again and I am willing to welcome back our retail bretheren with open arms. After all, they have nothing to be upity about now. We have proven that haunters are a powerhouse that they need. I'm excited...

graystone
06-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for your support! You were my very first ticket sold last year! I had fun and it was my first one so I learned alot of things that I will change in someway. I still was happy with the turnout and the food but will try to get a little more help as it about killed me! Shane and it's I support the shows together! Shane this time!

terrormasue
06-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Shane, count me in for help. Anything I can do just let me know!!

OblivionHauntedHouse
06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Us as well, Shane. Any help you need from the midwest (if any) we are here to help!

halloweenroom
06-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Same here, Need help we got ya:)

JamBam
06-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Shane,
I think you should see what it would take to get Jake's Steaks for a completely private party of the whole place. It could be worth checking on and then you aren't paying for a facility like the hotel. Line up shuttles from the hotels to keep everyone drinking off the road and not have to get lost, either.

graystone
06-22-2010, 09:17 AM
I loved Jakes Steaks the only problem with these places is most will only hold 200 tops so as I grow one way or the other I would have to move so I figured I would never have to worry with the headache of moving the party (I got enough of that moving a haunt LOL)! I might add also most of these places want you out by 11pm which means the party would have to start clearing out by 10:30pm. Really the Ren Grand is the best place as most are staying at the hotel anyway. It's a great thought but trust me I searched high and low and I must give it to the Ren Grand for hotel food it was off the wall everyone loved it But guys I am listining to your request and I have already made a few changes for 2010! Shane and its thanks for attending my 2009 party man! Shane this time.

spookhaven
06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
You know, being in the retail side of things also, I am glad they are back together. Although I am hearing from a lot of my vendors that they will NOT come back to Transworld. This is coming from most of the costume companies. There is always room for fresh new vendors, but hopefully they would be open to setting up two different discounts programs. One for retailers and one for haunters. Smaller minimum orders and less discount for haunters only would certainly make people feel welcome. Retails they should leave their programs in place. So Larry, suggest that for haunters only.