PDA

View Full Version : Michigans WORST haunted houses

WastelandMike
08-11-2010, 12:31 PM
A few co workers and i have decided to list what we think to be the worst haunted houses in the state. Your more than welcome to post your opinion too!:D

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-11-2010, 01:15 PM
This makes me angry

You should not be wasting our time posting the 'worst haunts' in your state. If you are truely a professional and have noticed room for improvement, offer your services and lend them some constructive critisizm rather than tearing them apart. Seriously? Come on.

We are tight industry. Lets keep it that way. We should be assisting one another and not be ripping apart other events. We all do it because we love haunting.

OdetteDespairr
08-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree, this is group of people who respect and care about each other. Tearing others down is not what we're about here. This upsets me that you see fit to bash these haunts simply because they may have flaws, we all have flaws, but this business is about growing, learning and assisting each other to become bigger and better than ever.

How would you like it if we started posting things about your haunt and ripped it a new one? You wouldnt and neither would the dozens of other actors, makeup artists, designers, builders, and management that work alongside you.

In the future if you dont have something nice or constructive to say please dont say anything at all.

Thanks

Jackie
Rotting Flesh Radio

graystone
08-11-2010, 01:53 PM
So where do these Co-Workers work? Mabye Michigans best haunted house? This is in bad taste! Its clearly an attack on not one but several haunts and its without cause! Let me tell you this these haunts may not have big budgets but who the hell cares if they have the heart and love of haunting? I myself am dealing with daily bitch slaps of were the biggest, baddest, best, this and that so let me ask you a few things.

1. Do you know their budget?
2. Who made you judge and why?
3. How long have they been around?
4. Why have you made only one post and that post is an attack on others ( it always amazes me when "new" people do this shit).
5. Do you own a haunt and if so where is it and whats the name lets see some comments on it!

Bottom line this pisses me off to no end its totally uncalled for! Shane and its and lastly who are you? I am Shane Dabbs this time!

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Amen, Shane!

soultrkr
08-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Gotta agree with the rest of the people here, If you go some place and you think it can be improved offer your services, talk to the owner in an actual conversation express your concerns. Also many charity haunts have next to no budget so many of the details the big boys have will not be there. Being in the area I am at, here in the south east we have allot of what I call Independent Haunts which have no sponsors are not big and well known they are just people whom enjoy the season having fun and spreading the joy of scaring the crude out of someone. There is no way to compare these place to haunts like Netherworld or Atroxx.
I am sure many of the well known haunts were much smaller and in a different incarnation before. Some haunts grow faster than others. You go to haunt not to judge or compare but to enjoy the moment you’re in. I have been to haunts that some people might hate or dislike but I had a blast at because I try not go with any preconceived notion of what it should be.

Umby
08-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Seems odd that you would make this your first post...

You're an idiot. Go choke on something.

Darkangel
08-11-2010, 02:42 PM
What a moron for posting that!

We're all on the same team herewe aren't interested in what you think is the worst haunt that's a no class move there.

It's bad enough you got these clowns who couldn't do a good haunt to save their lives going around reviewing negatively other peoples hard work and in some cases their livelihood...

Keep your opinions to yourself especially when it involves major contributors to this board.

DA

supermatic
08-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Agree, One thing i have really liked about this forum is the encouragement and lack of anonymous, cowardly, haters.
It is awesome that this forum is used to help build up and improve our industry -

No need to hate here, enough of that out there.

Howie Slobber Erlich
08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
:D

I do not thinks Nox is running anymore. This is obviously someone that works for another haunted attraction. I would guess it is one in the city of Detroit. This person had a post that was removed a couple days ago asking questions about a new web site that has started and claimed to be opening a haunt of his own this year.

This post was placed here mainly to try and upset me. Listing my haunt in a negative way is a typical tactic used by several jealous competitors of mine.

I would just like to point out that Deadly Intentions has been highly rated by almost every source that has ever come through. The Detroit News, The Free Press, Macomb Daily, Warren Weekly, WDIV Vote for the best, Haunted Attraction Magazine, GoreGuide, Zioptis Foundation & Oakland Press just to name a few. What we have always been known for is our over the top, In your face insane actors. It has also been stated that we come up with some of the most original and morbid room ideas that nobody has seen in other attractions. We try to not steal other haunts work or ideas like a lot of other haunts have done to us. As far as our security goes. We have a top notch professional security team who know how to handle any situation that might accure. In 7 years in operation we have never had any insurance claims, severe injuries or major security problems. And finally, our customers are the most important thing to me. That is why we see our loyal customers come back year after year. They post on our forums thru out the entire year. They ask about our characters and are disapointed if one of their favorites are not there on a night they show up. We have offered Customer Appreciation Nights for the last several year. We are the only haunt in our area to do that.

If we sucked as bad as "Mike" Suggests, I do not think we would gearing up for our 8th year of scaring the crap out of Metro Detroit.

I would think Mike would have better things to do with his time right now then to post stupid remarks on public forums. I mean, isn't Spongebob on right now.

Sincerely,

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
Owner
Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction
www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com

graystone
08-11-2010, 02:59 PM
you asked for it! Shane and its you got it! Shane this time.

WastelandMike
08-11-2010, 02:59 PM
the reason behind posting this was to simply prove a point. That being that alot of people on this forum are hipocritical...I post somthing about my opinion about haunts in MI and every body gets on my case about it...But when a cetain "SENIOR" member posts slander about certain michigan company he gets praise? this seems rather strange to me...Almst everyone to replie to this said we are all in this together and not to judge...but i guess im not shit because when i say my opnion everyone freaks out. I woud like to use this as a valid example that this is not fair.. And this was not my first posting on this site. My 2 other posts were flagged and del;eted due to some over jelous people getting scared about certain things. All i have to say is NOT FAIR!

Darkangel
08-11-2010, 03:04 PM
You said it yourself, you aren't shit! Prove your point a different way rather than bash people's haunts on an industry board.

DA

WastelandMike
08-11-2010, 03:04 PM
the reason behind posting this was to simply prove a point. That being that alot of people on this forum are hipocritical...I post somthing about my opinion about haunts in MI and every body gets on my case about it...But when a cetain "SENIOR" member posts slander about certain michigan company he gets praise? this seems rather strange to me...Almst everyone to replie to this said we are all in this together and not to judge...but i guess im not shit because when i say my opnion everyone freaks out. I woud like to use this as a valid example that this is not fair.. And this was not my first posting on this site. My 2 other posts were flagged and del;eted due to some over jelous people getting scared about certain things. All i have to say is NOT FAIR!

Howie Slobber Erlich
08-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Mike if that is your real name. Nobody praised my post about that web site. In fact when I left the post it was removed by the the admin of this web site. I had nothing to with any of your post being removed. Grow up and go build your haunt. If you would like to speak to me about this you may email me @ info@deadlyintentions.com or give me a call @ 248-797-0676

Slobber

mindtumor
08-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I've never even heard of Panic at Mayhem Manor. Also, I don't think Nox has ran in a few years. I've heard pretty good things about the other two depending on what you like in a haunted house. I haven't been to either of them but I think Bill has.

WastelandMike
08-11-2010, 04:30 PM
slobber, in no way was i trying to put down your haunt, i was simply reporting data that was gathered from a few of my co workers. I understand that you had nothing to do with the removal of the post. Sorry for any offence i have made. I will remove the post asap.

Mike
-The Wasteland Haunted Attraction

chuck weber
08-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Can we all support each other please and think positive. Halloween is only a couple months away. Larry, let's drop this post, please...............

terrormasue
08-11-2010, 09:01 PM
I agree! We need to support this industry, thats for sure. I had someone ask me the other day, "How competitive are the haunts in your area?" I told him I hope that all of the haunts in the area support each other. In fact I handed out flyers to another haunt in my town last year. I hate to hear anyone badmouthing another haunt anywhere. I also hate to hear actors from one haunt talking trash about another haunt in their town. That has happened here in Longview. It is sad, very sad. The person I was talking to is planning on opening a haunt in Dallas this year and I hope he gets support from the industry, from all of us. We are in this because we love haunting. We all have the same thing in common, love of the season. That is my 2 cents........ Happy Haunting!!!

jimmyfish
08-12-2010, 12:40 AM
I am not going to get on your case, or call you a moron.

Just learn from what they are doing wrong and make sure you are not doing any of those things in your haunt. If you want to help them, then maybe quietly share your oppinoions with them.

If you just don't like them, then don't share anything with them, and let them keep maiing mistakes and like I said, make yours better from the thngs you have learned.

When pepole are negative on here, it just makes you look bad, or lacking of confidence. Might even make enemies that could have maybe help you in some way.

I have helped in a haunt for several years, but am in my first year of running my own haunt. I had never buillt props or animatronics, but did a decent job with it, because of people aswering my questions on here.

HauntedPaws
08-12-2010, 02:39 AM
Perhaps rather then making a worst list it would have been better to create a "could use improvement list". Haunt owners spend ALOT of time as I hope I will and don't wanna make ur D list which is why they're offended.

Mutant Space Gerbil
08-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Everyone does need to support the next guy because when a patron goes to xyz haunt alot of times they get the impression that, that is how all haunts are. If they had a great time then they my try the one down the road, if they felt that it wasnt worth the time and the money then they wont go to the next one....so we need to support each other to make each other better because believe it or not your neighbors haunt is actually in a way advertising for yours 5 miles down the road....Why do you think Larry and all of these haunt orgainizations have put so much time and effort not to mention money in trying to improve on the industry as a whole....my 2 cents

JamBam
08-12-2010, 04:18 AM
I agree with the constructive comments about being positive. Ultimately, the customers will vote with their money which haunts are good or otherwise.

One year we had a haunt open less than a mile from the corn maze and haunt we were doing. He came down and traded flyers and then proceeded to slam us in his radio ads and didn't put our flyers up. This guy was disgusting. We went through his haunt and knew it wouldn't last. After two seasons he didn't return for a third. My customers told me that their kids were hesitant to even buy tickets from him because he smelled so bad of alcohol.

The customers voted with their money, like nearly always.

We try to be friendly with all the haunts in the area. Many of them trade visits with us. When we go to another haunt, sometimes my people will make critical comments and I remind them that they need to be respectful and constructive.

Jim Warfield
08-12-2010, 10:55 AM
If he's doing a terrible crappy job of entertaining people, and his place's name is right next to yours on an advertisement, some customers will not make the distinction, they will spread the greif equally over you both.
Been there.
Not happy about it.
It is very hard to give constructive criti-schism to someone who spent their life's savings already on their haunt.... and it was only $1.98...and then the rule said only 50 words to describe your haunt, which I did, then they gave the $1.98 guy 100 words and some people being "people" knew his would be better because they gave him more "ink"! hahahaha! Joke was on them.
But I got to hear about over and over from the customers they wronged.

WastelandMike
08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Somone just said that the haunts support eachother in their area, but we all know in metro Detroit all the haunts are very compeptive with eachother

Howie Slobber Erlich
08-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Competitive does not mean screwing with other haunts.

Every year we have our competitors throw out our flyers anytime they see them at a location. Every year we have competitors try to cause us problems with the city. Every year we have other haunts come up and go through our attraction only to bash us for this or that all over the net. Every year I have one competitor who has nothing better to do than have his people call our hotline and leave BS messages. Every year we have a competitor come up and try to leave flyers on our customers cars. Every year we have competitors come up and unplug or vandalize our signs and banners. It is ridiculous! I do not do these things to my competitors. I have warned my entire staff not to do these types of things. There are only a few haunts in the area, that stoop to these childish antics. We do not associate or recommend these haunts to anyone.

We have a good relationship with all the other owners. We are always glad to do flyer exchanges or anything else to cross promote each others haunts. A few bad apples make it seem like Michigan haunts are out to cut each others throats. Slowly those haunts are disappearing.

Hopefully the new haunts that are creeping into the market will try and be more civil with each other and help make the haunt capital of the world a more friendly and entertaining place to visit for all of our customers.

Slobber

Spookyfinder
08-12-2010, 05:46 PM
It's horrible to see someone bad mouthing other attractions...

Is this something that happens alot in other states?

I've haunted in Michigan for 11 years and have witness several of these experiences.

I'm not going to name the Haunts obviously, but some businesses make it a habit to verbally bash everyone in their competition, instead of letting their haunts speak for them.

Is this kind of childish waring just the nature of the beast? Or is it just a Michigan thing?

(and I don't mean any harm or offense till any of Michigan's Attractions, just something I've noted over the years)

WastelandMike
08-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Howie i completly agree with your last post. I wish that Metro Detroit could stand together to help one another in the industry

freak 'n' stein
08-12-2010, 11:28 PM
I love Sue and her forever-maternal posts! :) !!! **peace in the middle-east**

drfrightner
08-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Hey I'm going to be the first one to say the other haunts here in St. Louis SUCK TO HIGH HEAVEN... because they DO! This is my opinion and I take it because it offends me that some people will spend nothing on their haunts and spent tons of money and advertisement claiming how great they are how they are the best, how whatever...

Every year some fly by night attraction opens and scams people, opens haunts that are unsafe, lies about what they offer, or whatever. It offends me to no end...

However let me say I ignore these haunts, I don't post about them on my website, comment about them in my media, interviews or whatever, I hear customers say they felt ripped off, whatever... all I can do is keep doing what I do best and present my attractions as what they are not what they are not...

I think every city has fly by night haunts who give the rest of you and us a bad name but the best thing to do is ignore them... as for what haunts youv'e named I do not know if they are great, good, or whatever...

I just know its best to ignore haunts that you feel are scamming people or haunts who are your competition slamming them will do no good.

Larry

extreme evil
08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I am not new to haunting but I am new to this forum and to haunting for a living. I have to say this is the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen. Maybe these people you speak of don't have the greatest haunts in Michigan or anywhere else for that matter but they are out there trying and the biggest thing to note about them is they are not on here slamming anyone's haunts or abilities. You are one very unprofessional person and you may very well have just screwed yourself and your business with this little move..:

extreme evil
08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey Dude, you don't have to defend or explain yourself to any of us. Blow that crap off and have a great year.

extreme evil
08-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Wasteland Mike, even your attempt at an explanation is childish and immature at best. If I lived in Michigan I can promise you, you'd never see me, my family or any of my friends at your haunt simply because of your comment and you may have a great haunt. Like the others have said, Knock of the shit and go build your haunt. You might consider pulling your posting.

DarkTikiEntertainment
08-13-2010, 02:27 PM
The worst haunt in Michigan is the one I made my parent's garage when I was 9. It totally sucked, but it was hella FUN to make!!:D

damon carson
08-13-2010, 02:39 PM
There needs to be a worse list for every state. So customers wouldnt be wasting there hard earned money on crappy haunts.
Damon

Howie Slobber Erlich
08-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Damon, I think taht is a horrible idea! It just gives other haunt owners a place to bash each other. Besides one mans "crap" is another mans treasure. Different people like different things. Some poeple love haunts that only have animatronics, while other people think they are not scary what so ever. Some like intense haunts, others like family friendly shows. It is all a matter of opinion. I get bashed all the time that I refuse to spend thousands of dollars on props and animations. I prefer to make my own props and save some money. Is my haunt the most detailed in the area? NOPE. We do detail certain rooms every year but we like the old fashioned type of scares so we keep it old shcool. Our customers ove our brand of terror while others go to the more detailed haunt 20 miles away. Just depends on what you like.

Slobber

phreakout
08-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I dont mind a bit of competition, but bashing haunts to me is downright wrong. Everyone works hard on their location, and it hurts when people start rumors and such. Alot of competitors dont even set foot on each others property, but are quick to talk trash about each other.

The only time I would not reccomend a haunt is if I have met the owner and their methods of business dont sit right with me. Ive seen corners cut in haunts, but when a blind eye is turned towards large issues, I dont think their hearts are in the right place.

damon carson
08-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Slober I agree! Bashing is wrong. But in this area no one is with the times. All other haunts do is bash other haunts. I wish things were easier but there not. There is nothing wrong with keeping things old school. That doesnt make you a bad haunt. But around here other haunters need to grow up and quit talking crap on other haunts and learn if you help one another you both can suceed! I wish everything was as cool as on here really! But its not!
Damon

Darkangel
08-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Damon might be on to something actually. While I think making a list for the public to see is not ideal I do think it's also an industry problem that there are haunts in every market that do a terrible disservice to the industry by putting out horrible haunts at a big price which does nothing but hurt all haunters ultimately. Now people are saying they are trying and not all haunts have large budgets but sometimes there is no excuse for deliberately investing nothing in their haunts and charging as much or more than the top haunt in their market.

Guest will be misled and visit these fast buck Freddy haunts and be turned off from visiting other and more professional haunts in their area. This is a big problem I think many of us have experienced...

DA

drfrightner
08-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Just FYI... I don't know the haunts you are talking about is they are scam artist haunts or haunts with owners who care about what they are doing.

As I stated before every city and every town has haunts and owners who are doing this to make a fast buck... shame on them. However there are also haunts out there that might not be great NOW but 2 or 3 years from now might surprise you.

My first haunt SUCKED to high heaven who's didn't... looking back all of our haunts started off on the iffy side. People can get better and most who love what they do will get the seminars, videos, magazines, visit haunts, and learn.

There is a future for anyone who is doing it for the right reasons.

Larry

Motograter
08-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Shame on you Mike.

hauntedjack
08-15-2010, 02:24 AM
Larry I TOTALLY agree. When we first started we thought the haunt was awesome. But looking back and seeing what we did then and what we do now...yeah it was lame then. All haunt owners need to realize that it takes time to learn and grow from their first experience. But yeah...Larry...I AGREE!!

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Now that we all have made it clear that this person has done wrong, I would personally suggest that we head the urge to comment further on this topic. They said their peace and we shared our opinion. The more we post about it will just feed the negative energy to those who take the time to post such threads.