PDA

View Full Version : CockRoach Scene Idea (Pics)

TheMonsterMaze
08-14-2010, 02:26 PM
~
Buy your discount fake cockroaches here:

http://www.TheThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight.com

(Click the pics to see the detail of the scene, not my idea, but very clever...)

damon carson
08-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Pretty creative! Reminds me of Joes Apartment the movie.
Damon

Dark Attraction
08-15-2010, 09:21 AM
What sort of adhesive would you suggest for adhering the cucarachas to the walls?

TheMonsterMaze
08-15-2010, 01:10 PM
I've seen roaches attached in three different methods.

Hot Glue
THE GOOD: quick and cheap
THE BAD: can be pried off by guests
THE UGLY: left behind globs of hot glue where the roaches used to be
RECOMMENDATION: hot glue is effective in attaching roaches where guests cannot reach them

Gorilla Glue
THE GOOD: quick
THE BAD: can get expensive (Gorilla Glue isn't cheap...)
THE UGLY: using that much glue is bound to cause items to be "accidentally" stuck together
(such as fingers, tools, eyelids, etc.)
RECOMMENDATION: your best bet if you're careful during application

Drywall Screws
THE GOOD: once they've been screwed, they ain't going anyplace, so no theft
(and I *THINK* this is how Terror on the Fox does it, confirmation anyone??)
THE BAD: time consuming to screw in every single roach
THE UGLY: you can see a drywall screw head in the center of the roaches body
RECOMMENDATION: this is your best bet to prevent theft from guests in areas where the guests can reach your roaches

Anybody else have recommendations?

freak 'n' stein
08-15-2010, 10:56 PM
We built a roach hall this season. Strobes give the "illusion" the roaches are moving as well as a soundtrack. I painstakingly drywall screwed each and every roach into the wall. SOUNDS fun to start, but got old VERY quickly. Like TheMonsterMaze said, those roaches aren't going ANYWHERE, but in the dark and with the strobes, you can't even tell they're screwed in. A local amusement park that I worked in hot glued the roaches and most of them were picked off. The surprising part? Customers didn't pick them...the employees did!!!! Best of luck to anyone undergoing the task :)

maliciousstudios
08-16-2010, 06:16 AM
HAAAA !! HAAAAA !!!

I agree.... I had the same result... the customers walked through and didnt mess with the roaches much... it was the employees who picked them off and threw them at each other... LOL before ya knew it we had roaches where we didnt have roaches before... ROFL I can remember picking them up in the breakroom, at the front door, in the bathroom... etc. 1000's of roaches are a pain...

SCREWS... LMFAO.... I suggest screws....

Allen H
08-16-2010, 07:11 AM
I think Hot glue isint a bad option if you use the good stuff.
This gun
http://www.glu-stix.com/shop/page/product_detail/Product/fa08e0f5e59ce28c4ef20794b1163bab.html
And this glue
http://www.glu-stix.com/shop/page/product_detail/Product/67136cccf00d511637cd2e7ece2b38b7.html
If you want to save some cash then make a mold of cockroaches out of silicone caulk (thinned with naptha) then fill the mold with brown colored hot glue!
http://www.glu-stix.com/shop/page/product_detail/Product/fb0b4d59985ae8236008a910bf5e9a34.html

Hot glue is a pretty awesome haunt tool, I have made the silicone mold before and made hot glue nut and bolt ends to decorate a wall.
Just a thought,
Allen H

Nightmaresgate
08-16-2010, 07:19 AM
we had the same issue with the cast pulling them off the wall. One thing we did was use two strobes from different angles. It REALLY makes them look like they are moving. Great effect!

zachary
08-16-2010, 09:01 AM
The roaches we have we used screws on. lifted the wing screwed it in and no one saw screw head!

freak 'n' stein
08-16-2010, 10:06 PM
we had the same issue with the cast pulling them off the wall. One thing we did was use two strobes from different angles. It REALLY makes them look like they are moving. Great effect!

...yes sir...we used two different strobe speeds too!!

Zach, you must've gotten the high-quality roaches!! The wings lift?! haha...Brad, expect a text