PDA

View Full Version : Haunt using pics from another haunt...What to do?

Spoils
09-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I was approached by another haunter last night and ask if I was working on/and or with the new haunt they are building in the downtown Dallas, TX. The reason he asked was that when he went to their photo page which directs them to a facebook page I was putting make-up on some guy. Immediately I went to the website and photo page and there I was putting make-up on one of my own actors at My haunt. I have seen and heard of haunted attractions taking scenic pics from other haunts, but not an actual owner of another haunt and basically showing that I work for them and/or associated with them. They have another pic on the page of one of my actors that John from HAM took on his tour last year.
Here is my question for you guys. How should I go about doing this? What should I do? I know what I wanted to do last night, but that would not be professional at all. Thank you for listening to me rant and any of your help.

I also wanted to let you guys know just incase he is using other haunt pics.

Here is a link to this haunt...
http://dallashaunt.com/

The pics that were stolen are the 3rd and 4th...
http://www.facebook.com/thefatalend#!/album.php?aid=12160&id=128111210565384

Here are the pics on John's tour from HAM...
http://www.hauntedattraction.com/blog/grand-tour/haunted-attractions/the-haunt-house-haunted-house-dallas-tx/#more-1726

Here is the pic of me putting on make-up on the actor that was in an article...
http://www.thehaunthouse.com/haunted_house_2009_allAboutUs.html

MovieRelics
09-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I guess they've taken them down because the photo page is just a coming soon message. But when this sort of thing happened to me, the best thing to do is send them a cease and desist notice (aka. the take down notice) via email and registered mail. If they ignore it, then you can sue them for copyright violation as the copyright holder of the images. But most people when they find out that it's stolen or when they know that they've stolen someone else's images and are caught, they typically will immediately take them down to avoid further trouble and litigation.

Spoils
09-05-2010, 10:34 AM
The coming soon is for their supposed live pics. There is a facebook icon you click on.

Badger
09-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Take screenshots of the FB pics in question, making sure that the date added is shown. Then send them a polite ,but firm email reminding them that they are using copyrighted material from another haunt and that if the word should get around that they are stealing someone else's images (not saying it would ;) ) it would look very badly in the haunt community. Make sure they get copies of the pics in question, including the 'original' pics)

SomeThingInTheIce
09-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Ask them just when will be getting paid for doing the make up work at their haunt.lol. They are saying you work there so they should pay ya.

SomeThingInTheIce
09-05-2010, 05:30 PM
He answered a post that was put up and says that the photos are NOT of his haunt but of the other haunt.????? So way does he have them up on his face book page?

Spoils
09-05-2010, 06:44 PM
The 3rd and 4th pic are mine on the prepping the actors photos.

http://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=123a033aac0974413a2c9a2754e3d02d&#!/album.php?aid=12160&id=128111210565384

Darkangel
09-05-2010, 06:45 PM
That's a shame them stealing photos.

But they have a pretty cool logo at least...

DA

Dr Spooktakular
09-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Wow dude! In our own back yard none-the-less. Maybe you can get a free 72oz steak for all your hard work! LOL!!!!!

Spoils
09-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Just found out the first two pics before mine are from The cutting edge.

terrormasue
09-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow, I have actually talked to this guy a few times. He worked for a few haunts in Dallas before getting into this haunt. I think he also worked for 6 flags during the Halloween season. I am not sure he is the one that set up the Facebook page. I think he has several partners. I know he sculpts and does FX make-up along with set design. He sure sounded like a nice guy! I think I can find his email if you would like it. I sure hope he was not the one responsible.

Dr Spooktakular
09-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Oh, I'm sure Bart knows who the culprit is! LOL!!

Mad Wax Sculptor
09-05-2010, 10:48 PM
To ward off any confusion This owner is not from DFW . Hes not from any local DFW HAUNTS AND IS NOT FROM SIX FLAGS. HE IS NOT A SCULPTOR OR FX GUY

Jim Warfield
09-06-2010, 12:30 AM
If I discovered that some other haunt was using naked pictures of me to advertise Their haunt, I would be Very upset!

Mad Wax Sculptor
09-06-2010, 12:48 AM
actually Jim your royalty check is in the mail. thanks for letting me use the photos of you and your cat in those compromising scenes

MindWerxKMG
09-06-2010, 04:04 AM
Found another haunt doing the same thing. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lawrenceville-GA/Terror-in-the-Square/118280024871908#!/album.php?aid=12070&id=118280024871908

Some of these pics are from The Darkness!

Dark Attraction
09-06-2010, 06:06 AM
Found another haunt doing the same thing. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lawrenceville-GA/Terror-in-the-Square/118280024871908#!/album.php?aid=12070&id=118280024871908

Some of these pics are from The Darkness!

Alex! Is that your new haunt? I am disappoint!

Dark Attraction
09-06-2010, 06:13 AM
Good haunt pictures are really hard to come by! Especially with haunts like Netherworld and The Darkness raising the bar so high.

We have had a sort of similar problem with haunts stealing our FAQ page text. I figured out that you can Google "haunted house faq" and our haunt is the very first result.

Spoils
09-06-2010, 11:16 AM
They have now taken off all the photos to the facebook and said it was a big mistake! Somehow a mistake is the buttons Copy and Paste.

shawnc
09-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Did we skip Halloween and move right on to Christmas this year? Everyone seems to be in such a great and forgiving mood.

Instead of emails and certified letters, I would have just called them up or drove over and asked "WTF?"

And what's this malarkey about accidentally putting up the wrong pictures? That was no "Oops." They probably knew full well what they were doing but somehow figured they wouldn't get caught. How do you mix in photos you've taken with your camera with those you've copied and saved off another website? Doesn't the fact that you don't recognize anyone in the photos, or that you do recognize them but know that they don't work for you, give you a clue?

Like I said, you all are much nicer than I would have been. But is that a good thing?

Jim Warfield
09-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Just as I was planning a total re-boot of our website! I was going to paste in the following pictures:
Head of set design = a picture of Alfred Hitchcock
Head of theatrics= Vincent Price
Door Greater- Bela Loosegoosey Don't give your back to this guy, he has that fetish!)
Payroll -Nosferato (try to whine to that guy!)
And this season's great new special defect! A real Tornado! Video close-up of a stool flushing!
(OK, it's a wet tornado too!) The tornado is carrying away my haunt, it seems to be dark colored and long, tapered on the end!!
Then we show the customers/scared video, close -ups of..."Mr. Bill"!! "Nooooo!"
And while I'm at it:"Send $10.oo and we will send you a map to the multi-storied haunted house that pays you $1,000.oo if you get to the top floor!
Sure, why not?