PDA

View Full Version : Is this going WAY TO FAR??? READ THIS

drfrightner
09-23-2010, 02:46 PM
http://phoenixvillenews.com/articles/2010/09/23/news/doc4c9b88c5539d5849786546.txt

We as an industry need to rally behind Randy Bates the President of our association.

Larry

coasterfreak63
09-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Absolutly ridiculous.

"The suit also contends that the harm caused to the couple in the form of increased noise, traffic and activity during the run of the asylum would be greater than any loss suffered by the attraction."

You have to ride a mile in a bus to get to the attraction. How will there be more noise?

Pumpkin King
09-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Absolutely crazy.

Randy does amazing work it's a shame for people like this to critisize an awesome haunt. Rediculous.

chuck weber
09-23-2010, 04:43 PM
since I'm from THIS area, and I gotta say that these protesters are idiots. GO AFTER the State of Pennsylvania, the former workers, and others who didn't treat these poor people correctly and did not give them the care they so deserved. You don't hear anything about that. Just go after Randy Bates, who is trying to do something with this eyesore of a property. It's just sitting there rotting away, and here comes someone with a great idea to do SOMETHING POSITIVE with it, provide jobs, stimulate the local economy, etc, and he's met with all of these SAPPY losers who can't get over it. YES, IT WAS HORRIBLE what happened (back then). Bring to trial the guilty parties, Not the promoters of this event. Randy and your partners, I wish you only the best in this fight to open this haunt. Protesters, be damned !!!! Pennhurst Asylum, I support you 100%!

drfrightner
09-23-2010, 04:46 PM
I suppose they'd rather vandals run around breaking into the place at night, or it be turned into an apartment or a hotel yeah that wouldn't create ANY noise what so ever.

This is outragous.

Larry

scarygoat
09-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Wow, I am shocked, this is awful. Is there anything we can do to help?

smasters
09-23-2010, 05:01 PM
I believe most of the plantiff claims are bogus. BUT, if they did not get the right zoning or permits he is in for a big disapointing ride. He should have done his homework if this is true.

smasters

Ironman
09-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Providing that all the proper licenses and permits were done, and with someone of Randy Bates experience I can't imagine that they were not, this amount of promotion can be priceless. People who may normally NOT have come to the haunt, will now plan a visit just to see what all the brouhaha is all about. The couple that started this have really just added to their dilemma of traffic and noise by shouting from the rooftop.

In six years at our present location, our very best opening week-end was when we were openly protested by religious zealots with bull horns and signs picketing across the street from our haunt. We are located on a very high traffic highway that runs through our downtown, so traffic came to a crawl to check out the clamor. Several police cars with lights flashing were there directing traffic and trying to calm the protesters down. That night we did well, but the next evening we were packed to capacity.

Good luck Randy, and I have all the confidence in the world that this venture will be a success.

Ironman
09-23-2010, 05:25 PM
BTW....did everyone scroll down to read the other five articles on this story? Like I said previously...you can't BUY this kind of promotion.

Twin Locusts
09-23-2010, 06:16 PM
BTW....did everyone scroll down to read the other five articles on this story? Like I said previously...you can't BUY this kind of promotion.

Yeah, when you search 'the phoenix chester county' the top article is a long PR piece on the haunt. The Asylum is already a household name but now the haunt will be as well. Anxious to see if the injunction stands. I used to have a home office in Chesterbrook, beautiful and affluent area.

This suit is obviously meant simply to be a business disruption based on the timing of it.

SilentScream
09-23-2010, 08:56 PM
As the saying goes, "There is no such thing as bad publicity." Assuming permits are in place, this is marketing gold for them. People love rooting for the underdog, in this case a business under legal attack.

More importantly, how can this kind of impromptu guerrilla marketing be leveraged by other haunts? As Ironman pointed out, his biggest numbers were seen after a large protest. The media loves any gathering of angry people, so next year I may get my actors to go out and "protest" their own haunt. Create a buzz! :p

iamscared2009
09-23-2010, 08:57 PM
he should sue the couple 2, for the bs they are putting him through...take all there money and there home, so they have no choice but to work at the haunt,lol jay and yen

graystone
09-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Of the things listed in the article was exactly what I went through here in Huntsville. This is also the very reason I got such a late start this year. I fully can relate. Hopefully all will work out and many will get to see a great haunted attraction. Shane and its good luck! Shane this time.

GraveStalker
09-24-2010, 05:42 AM
For those of you able to help, I found the following posted on the Pennhurst FB Page

"Hey friends!!! There's a hearing tomorrow at 9:30 am at the Chester County House. If you are free stop by and show your support for Halloween and Haunted Attractions. If you can't be there then send a letter of support to pennhursthauntedhouse@gmail.com. Thanks!!"

smasters
09-24-2010, 05:46 AM
If its true he did not have the right zoning or permits theres nothing nobody can do.

PERIOD

soultrkr
09-24-2010, 06:01 AM
Randy you have my support if I need to write letters let me know who's office I need to send it to. With 111 acres I think they idea of neighbors is a mote point as the sound will not travel that far. So because of your deluded sense of delayed morality you would deny an Entertainment attraction from coming into a community where the economy is not that great? hmm someone does not know the meaning of the word attraction.

This will bring in money not normally provided into the community. If anything this is putting a positive spin into the building's mostly negative history. It will go from being that local spot for teen's to go a drink and vandalize and challenge each other to the spooky night contest to being used and providing jobs and an influx of money to the surrounding community.

It is time that people like this more concerned with their own status and power within a community step aside and allow others to try to rebuild something useful out of the decay.

allowing a structure of that size and history to be abandoned, unused, and decay would be the real crime.

Email in support of Pennhurst has been sent.

JamBam
09-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Randy has done a great job with his first event and had some issues he had to deal with that has given hin the experience to know how to proceed with Pennhurst. Sounds like the judge has no solution other than to tell this couple to live with it.

My first year of the corn maze I did for four years, we were on a busy state highway. The guy across the street called everyone he could to complain.

The sheriff told me he actually drove by to check it out and told the guy things were fine. I did mention to the sheriff that the guy had shot a shotgun over my head earlier in the summer when I was cutting the design into the field. I heard the pellets land in the corn just past me. I never called the police but should have.

The state sent the landowner a letter about highway access change requiring a new entry that would need a state certified engineering study and what sounded like $ 100,000 dollars in improvements to comply. Irony here is that the state had not followed the 80+ pages of road rules they were citing in their letter. We ignored the letter and the event was over long before they would take any otehr action. We were visited by a state senator and his family and he told me to call him if any more letters arrived.

And finally, the guy complained to the county zoning department. My media day arrived and a car full of suits pulls up. All three network tv stations and six newspapers were waiting for the helicopter I hired to take them up in the air to take pictures. The suits pull up just as the helicopter is landing, blowing dust all over including the windows of their car. The planning director informs me that I was in violation of some zoning rule. I asked him if we cold talk the next day in his office as I was a little busy. He agreed and before he pulled away, I told him I was confused as I had stopped in his office and asked what paperwork and permits I needed five months before that and was told NO permits were needed after they had gone to him for guidence. The next day I walked into the planning office and they handed me a letter saying I was approved for temp use under the county fairs and carnival ordinance. DONE deal. They had to cover it to cover their own butts and must have spent the whole day to do it. LOL We moved to another location the next year and I checked with him and got instant approval upon giving him a map and location.

Good luck Randy and his partner. The reason for rules and procedures is to do business without harrasment from people that think they own more than the property they pay taxes on.

Good luck to all others as well as we open the season!!!!

Barry
09-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Going too far? No, it is their right to challenge the haunt in a legal setting. If the haunt has gotten all of the necessary permits and approvals (as it seems they have from one of the other articles) then they have nothing to worry about. If you want to argue that this is a baseless claim then the haunt can sue the couple for court costs etc... I think by now we should all expect stuff like this especially when it comes to a controversial location like this one.

Jim Warfield
09-24-2010, 07:24 AM
My location has always been zoned commercial but I still disconnected the outdoor speakers I used to have when I took a ride up the next hill and could hear every sound from my place as if we were only 10 feet away.
Of course the dogs living on that hill never usually got disconnected as they barked sometimes non-stop late at night when we were attempting to sleep.
If someone can get along with their neighbors , it shows effort was put forward, positive effort.

I recently had a couple tour my house who are in court against the wind farm huge windmills and they might "win"! Their county zoning said no huge non-agricultural structures could be built in their county and added to this that specific electrical co. is not nationally recognised thereby given an automatic "Pass" to build as they did.
"WHOOPS!" You drive along the super highway and see these windmills by the 100's in that county. Somebody really $crewed up if the judge finds against the wind farm propellers.

Making noise against a haunt built in an old mental institution makes no sense, unless the plantiffs were alumni of that institution.
If everything works out for the haunt, create a character being a whiner, butt/pain mimicing the you-know-who's, this could be fun.
I look forward to the opening and great success of this haunted enterprise.

chuck weber
09-24-2010, 10:08 AM
nothing on the hearing YET..... if anyone hears anything, please post.... thanks.

Pregreen
09-24-2010, 11:26 AM
http://www.dailylocal.com/articles/2010/09/24/news/doc4c9cdc746a5e7563343799.txt

Slain
09-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Sad.. This would be the best of the best.. People are so weird..
They don't see bringing people back into this area and the revenue that the town would generate off of this being opened...

chuck weber
09-24-2010, 03:19 PM
finally !!!!!! OK, Randy go get 'em !!!!!!! have a great season

SomeThingInTheIce
09-25-2010, 06:38 AM
For real? Thats just awesome! I was thinking Randy was going to get screwed by Halloween haters. Thats sweet, larry you should so a story all the whole thing.

finally !!!!!! OK, Randy go get 'em !!!!!!! have a great season

soultrkr
09-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Glad to see common sense won out for once it is becoming so rare I am starting to think it is a super power. Grats Randy now go forth and make the haunt community proud and show those folks just how good it is to have a Haunt in their county!!!

Jim Warfield
09-25-2010, 10:53 AM
The definition of "Power" usually calls for demonstrating it every so often or by common definition, you don't have any "Power". When things go really badly for justice and common sense is when someone in a position of authority feels compelled to demonstrate their "Power" to prove that they still have it, good-bad, right-wrong fall by the wayside, it becomes a personality based exercise.

chuck weber
09-25-2010, 01:06 PM
CHECK OUT PRE GREEN's post here on this page (page3) there are 5 more stories on this issue listed in the article at the bottom of the page. interesting reading to be sure. (post 21 of this thread)

Bradenton Haunted Trail
09-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Glad to hear that you get to open, But this should be a warning to every new haunt to check zoning and get permits for construction. And since i am one hire a licenced general contractor.

chuck weber
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
all that bad press will work as a positive for pennhurst now. Also, hope someone from there chimes in with some opening night figures and head counts for the weekend. other haunts in that area (I hear) are running scared and are spending big bucks on celebrities(??) to TRY to draw crowds. not likely to happen though.

Octoberalles
09-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Kudos to Pennhurst and their owners for standing up and winning one for the good guys!

The Forsaken Crypt
09-26-2010, 11:55 AM
I suppose they'd rather vandals run around breaking into the place at night, or it be turned into an apartment or a hotel yeah that wouldn't create ANY noise what so ever.

This is outragous.

Larry

This article really boils my blood. Randy put is heart and soul into this attraction and 2 assholes that have nothing better to do go and try to shut this place down. I'm glad you stood up and showed them not to mess with us haunters! Good luck with everything.

chuck weber
09-28-2010, 08:43 AM
haven't seen any news coverage now that they are open. figures, when something GOOD happens, it NEVER gets reported ! just the bad stuff and the trouble makers.

drfrightner
09-28-2010, 10:53 AM
All that negative news press really backfired on the people who didn't want it to open... I heard on their opening night they drew over 4000 paying customers. That is what you get when a handful of people hate your event I guess... bring it on!!!

LOL

Larry

chuck weber
09-29-2010, 03:52 PM
finally, something great happens after dealing with all of that LAST MINUTE BALDERDASH !! Thanks for posting the GREAT NEWS !!! WMMR 93.3 radio station (philadelphia) will be there this friday night with the morning show guys (Preston and Steve). They are talking it up all week on the radio and giving away free passes. The crowds this weekend should be HUGE !!!

chuck weber
10-01-2010, 04:22 PM
friday, october 1st at 10 pm and 1 am eastern. must see episode. the place is really haunted... and..... the tunnels !!!! yes... the tunnels !!!!!!!

shawnc
10-01-2010, 09:32 PM
All that negative news press really backfired on the people who didn't want it to open... I heard on their opening night they drew over 4000 paying customers. That is what you get when a handful of people hate your event I guess... bring it on!!!

LOL

Larry

I read a marketing book where the author talked about a burglar alarm company that did testing late at night and a speedboat company that regularly got speeding tickets on the test lake. The fines were more than made up for by the "bad" publicity they got. Think about it - alarms that are so loud the neighbors far away hear them and speedboats that go too fast. That's just what the buyers want.

Wasn't there somebody on here last year that got complaints about their haunt being too scary and promptly posted them on their website and added it to all the advertising?

VSneader2
10-02-2010, 06:14 AM
I know the haunted Hoochie caught crap over there zombicide (suicide) scene in the news. If I remember correctly all it did was boost thier attendence from people wanting to see what was causing all the contraversy.

annarchy
10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
so did he or did he not get the neccessary building permits and zoning approval?