PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Technical Sound Advice

GraveStalker
03-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Hello All,

I am working on an automation project where I am attempting to automatically move sound (switch audio speakers) from set to set. The attraction has a central control system (PLC) that evaluates thru beam sensors, that when triggered, switch relays to turn on appropriate lighting, trigger various props, and select/play audio from digital audio repeater. Because cost is an issue, I would like to be able to switch a single amplified signal between multiple passive speakers or if necessary, the line level from a single audio repeater between a variety of amplified speakers.

Does anyone here have experience with this type of application? And if so, would you be willing to share your thoughts?

I am planning on using solid state relays for switching, but some initial testing has produced audio "popping" sound when switch occurs -even when line level is switched. My next thought is to switch amplifier off before switching line level input, but this seems overly complex. Hopefully, I have explained this clearly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jim
Graveside Manor

beardedbil
03-10-2007, 05:17 PM
I have used software called SFX Show Control:

http://www.stageresearch.com/products/index.aspx

This is great computer control for any type of sound audio project you need where you will be switching from speaker to speaker... Your only limited by your sound card on your computer... The audiofire8 has 8 outputs to control, I recommend that one... and then you can really surround your customers in audio.
Bill

Nightgore
03-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Haha... I was about to post the same exact link! Funny how some people think alike! -Tyler

GraveStalker
03-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. The product looks great, but I'm looking for a stand alone solution that would not require a PC to be connected at all times.

If you have any other ideas, please pass them along!

Thanks Again!!!

virgil
03-13-2007, 12:07 PM
I just PM'd you...

Scottzilla
05-30-2007, 01:44 AM
They do have ICs out there that are made for switching audio (line level). Here's an example:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/FS/FSA2367.html

Fairchild makes several other flavors. So does Maxim. These will probably get rid of your popping problem.

Jim Warfield
05-30-2007, 01:53 AM
Or keep the "popping" sound and have a display of eyeballs all freshly popped out.
"Next!"

Nightmaretony
06-03-2007, 08:33 PM
or can it be the pop of freshly popped eyes hitting the speaker cones, and Mr. Tuxedo thinking they are cat toys?

MMMRRRRRWWWWW