PDA

View Full Version : Queue Line Actor

mudsticky
12-16-2010, 10:33 PM
hi guys im looking for a site that has info on Queue Line Actor so i can be the best that i am?

Dreamreaper
12-16-2010, 11:10 PM
contact Allen H on here !

Badger
12-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Feel free to send me a note as well...

Darkangel
12-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Badger,

Are you a long-time pro haunter or just a consultant? I went to your site but there isn't much info on your qualifications other than 30+ years and a couple haunts you've trained at.

Just curious....

DA

Badger
12-17-2010, 07:49 AM
I began training actors at one particular haunt in 2005 and began branching out in 2009. Several haunt owners on this board have hired me to run my "Boo Camp" for their actors and they have been pleased with the results. I will probably be teaching a class on actor training at HC or MHC. I have been acting at 'pro'-haunts since 2002.

Drop me a line and I'll try to answer any questions you may have...

damon carson
12-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Netherworld and The Edge of Hell have many youtube videos you could use as reference. Personally The Edge of Hell has some of the best queline actors I've seen. Also Gary at The Darkness is pretty awesome. But look them up on youtube. You can get some great pointers. Also watch the videos of Ben on netherworld.com when he is interviewed as the Collector he does some great acting and throws some good one liners in there as well.
Damon

screamforadream
12-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Allen and Badger are GREAT references! I'm not nearly as experienced as them, but some free overall advice from personal experience couldn't hurt, right? Lol.

Well first off, the queue line is generally the best lit area of most haunts. Mainly becaus it can keep the patrons eyes used to the light so when they enter the haunt they experience added confusion. With this in mind, visual appearance is a great advantage. For example, for 2011 I'm planning to use the Lock-Jaw prosthetic, the Negligence costume, and a hellraiser contact in one eye and a whiteout contact in another eye. This is my character, feel free to use it or expand and make it better, because it's your lines and ability to maintain character that makes you stand out. Once you develop a character, never break it, the patrons will catch on and possibly heckle you instead of you heckling them lol.

Have a catchphrase or something! You're going to be the first thing the patrons see, and you'll spend more time with them than anyone else, this past year I was in a crematorium and I would pick out the "chicken-shit" of each group and get them into a corner and put both my arms very close to there head and would lean in and say in a creepy voice "WHAT'S THE MATTER?! YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU SEE?? IVE ALREADY BEEN IN THE OVEN, I'M THE HOTTEST THING OUT HERE!" and so repeat patrons came to expect that and it was just awesome. :) You don't have to do that, but it helps. :)

I would love to be more specific or answer more questions if you would like me too. I don't know of any references outside of the ones already mentioned, best of luck to you bud!

Killer Katie
12-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Steve Martini from Screamline Studios
Roger Miller (ohio)
And
Rex Hamilton
All three have amazing improv skills and can work the hell out of a Queline!

mudsticky
12-17-2010, 09:33 PM
what do i look up on youtube?

damon carson
12-17-2010, 09:49 PM
You just need to look up the haunts I suggested. You will be able to tell whats filmed in the queline and whats not. I also work the queline and front room of my haunt. Many have turned away, too scared not to go any further. And thats the honest to Gods truth. If you have any questions I can give you many pointers. Also go to kcbeast.com or edgeofhell.com for more videos. Did you checkout Netherworlds site? There known for there parking lot scares as much as there inside haunt scares.
Damon

BruiseMuse
12-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Feel free to send me a message. I've been doing que line acting for over a decade, taught the subject at MHC, and I travel all over as a guest actor for various haunts.

Killer Katie
12-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Bruisemuse should have been on my list... I stink...
I've seen her in action! She is tiny, but makes people afraid with her techniques!!!

Allen H
12-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Take improv classes, maybe even join the cast of a different type of production like a play house or renfaire in order to get the skill of being quick and comfortable on stage.
Cue line acting is one of the hardest spots in a house because you are always on, there are no breaks aside from when you are completely out of the publics eye.
You need to be able to be sacry at first and maintain that fear by keeeping them on edge, and you need to be able to be funny. Some situations require comedy to diffuse them...hmmm...a degree in psycology wouldnt hurt either.

Tater
12-18-2010, 12:18 PM
..Oh thanks Katie....forget about lil old me over here, As for what Allen said I agree till the last lil part, Lets not forget We are the entertainment, Some people are afraid to go in...our job is to entertain whether its Nice, Scary, Funny, Odd whatever. Also be prepared since you are right in front of everyone to take some abuse. If you dont have witty comebacks, or a scare that will work you might think that it sucks. You will get touched, Poked, Prodded Wig torn off, Hit on, kicked, and Screamed at...Its your job though to figure out which is coming outta malicious intent or if they are just playing along .

mudsticky
12-18-2010, 07:39 PM
how i post some pics up?

darkXmoon
12-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Allen is very correct on the psychology class. I took a psychology and a sociology class a while back and it has helped me immensely in the gage of reactions and emotions of costumers. I really wish I could go back and take a normal every day class but I took all criminal classes due to the subject I was pursuing at the time. Now that I have that under my belt though I do plan on attending more classes that offer the teaching of slight of hand or illusion tricks and also street performing .

BruiseMuse
12-19-2010, 09:20 AM
I agree with the psychology comment as well. My degree is in psychology and from working in the field, you learn a great deal that you can use in acting, which is why I use that background when I teach.

Working for 2 years at a mental institution also provided worlds of inspiration.

darkXmoon
12-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Working for 2 years at a mental institution also provided worlds of inspiration.

Working the worst case scenario will prepare you for every thing!!! While working in such situations you really do start to pick up reactions of public more easily and basic human understanding. I used to think "Well hell I'm a human so I automatically know how humans work" ...very wrong.

darkXmoon
12-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Thought I would add a bit more to this because there are some variations in some classes. I would say take criminal psychology like I did. It doesn't focuses on simple generalization. It will also show how to cope and handle yourself in odd ball situations. I was very lucky because my high school offered the class. With the sociology you just need a basic study class.

If your still in school see if you can take this course as an elective. I did for psychology and it saved me $150 !!!! If you know another school that offers this ask if you can take it as a summer school class. Yes summer school will give you a crash course with out even taking a full year first.

If your an adult don't be creepy damn it.. stay away from the high schools. I only say this because some one kinda did it. So a search in your local collage and universities, there might even be a random class teaching the topic.

mudsticky
12-19-2010, 11:08 PM
what are some good toys that i can use in que line

damon carson
12-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Its limitless. You can use fake hands, to fake weapons. You could use a live rat. Be sure it is used to people and wont bite. Fake dirty underware, fake head. Its endless to what you can use. Just remember this if you want to work the queline. Always remember your running the show. Dont let anyone run you over. You have to adlib and always have a funny comeback for the smartasses in the group. You need to be scary and you also need to have a good sense of humor for your onliners. The spotlights on you so you cant be shy or scared. So go out there and give it all you got. Try it on slow nights if you have never done it before. Dont wait for five hundred people in line before you do it. You just have to have confidence and act your ass off and you will do just fine.
Damon

mudsticky
12-19-2010, 11:26 PM
i work que line for 2010 it was goodwas was up in a tree some times i all most got my ass kick one nite but im looking for more my ways to have a time in the lines i have some pics i like to post but i do not no have

mudsticky
12-20-2010, 05:35 PM
what can i use a rat free ?

BruiseMuse
12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
what can i use a rat free ?

I've seen live rats used with several acts; from mad scientists (the rat was one of his "experiments") to a gnawed up corpse. A lot of people have phobias of rats/mice. You do always have to careful when acting with live animals; customers can have extreme reactions and attempt to swat or grab the animal.

Allen H
12-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Funny you mention a rat, I used a dead mouse at skull kingdom and built a whole show around his tricks and stunts.

BruiseMuse
12-20-2010, 08:17 PM
I like nightcrawlers as a fun living prop; people really hate worms (which I didn't realize til I used them in an act).

Tater
12-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Mudsticky....Why dont you create a character first then worry about where its placement would be best and what props you might use. Rarely anyone ever says Hey I really wanna use this old Tennis shoe let me create a character around it. Its usually hey, Ive created this Hillbilly character let me use my old tennis shoe as a prop. Lets get you focused on creating the character that YOU think you will be best portraying then talk to the haunt and say I have this character...where do you think it would work at.

BruiseMuse
12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Actually, I've created a ton of characters based around a random prop, or a piece of clothing I find at a thrift store. I've found that props are one of the best ways to get shyer actors to come out of their shells and let their characters come to life.

Tater
12-20-2010, 08:53 PM
oh katie your killing me...thats why I said rarely because when I was typing that you popped into my head hun. While I agree with what your saying I think the best course of action for good ole mud is the way I suggested. But thats the beauty of this board we can give him different choices and let him decide what works for him

BruiseMuse
12-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Sorry Tater

Hey Med, working along the lines of what Tater suggested, what sort of theme/environment is your acting area (ex. Medical, Victorian Manor, Circus, etc)?

Tater
12-20-2010, 09:17 PM
aww hun dont be sorry..Oh and congrats on getting married...but now you wont be Katie Lane...and I dont know what im going to call ya

BruiseMuse
12-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks hun! Techincally I'm still Katie Lane; I'm just hyphenating (so my full name becomes the super Irish sounding Katie Lane-Patrick).

mudsticky
12-20-2010, 10:54 PM
hi all im a Hillbilly character i was out in the lines in 2010 there are 2 haunts dark matter & tormented i have some pic of my Hillbilly character but i can not post pic on here

mudsticky
12-20-2010, 10:57 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs930.snc4/74331_1706342903127_1374674401_1771187_2439745_n.j pg

mudsticky
12-20-2010, 10:58 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs774.snc4/67459_1706342663121_1374674401_1771186_965372_n.jp g

mudsticky
12-20-2010, 10:58 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs922.snc4/73553_1696957466778_1323108293_1788364_6268315_n.j pg

mudsticky
12-20-2010, 10:59 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs838.snc4/69879_455948762697_514077697_5242263_5520217_n.jpg

mudsticky
12-20-2010, 11:01 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs490.ash2/76317_1577853040811_1070174904_1573261_3322981_n.j pg

mudsticky
12-20-2010, 11:02 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs011.ash2/33910_1562450215750_1070174904_1540773_548779_n.jp g

OdetteDespairr
12-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Awesome idea with the nightcrawlers Katie...would you mind if I tried that next year?

BruiseMuse
12-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Go ahead; I like putting them in my mouth and allowing them to crawl in and out.

Tater
12-21-2010, 09:50 PM
wait wait wait....Katie might not care at all but as your traveling buddy and sometimes your driver I do have a limit of what comes in my lil car...and I think I might have to draw the line at worms...sorry Hoots

BruiseMuse
12-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Although the worms don't smell, unlike the intestines :)

darkXmoon
12-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Go ahead; I like putting them in my mouth and allowing them to crawl in and out.

Oh nasty!!! WTF.. there is no way your being for real... are you ?? In and out your mouth ?? Are they hard to control ? I can't do snakes or spiders, maybe if I push myself a centipede . Do you just get normal ones from the bait area in wal-mart ?? Do you wash them ?? Did you eat one by chance ??

When it comes to rats though its very important to know three things about them. They have the intelligence of a small dog. They can be taught to do tricks that are simple but effective. Rats have very small claws, so if you have very sensitive skin or are ticklish this could be a problem. Some people overcome this buy wearing a thicker top or double layers. Last when you keep rats you have to keep at least two of them. Rats are nocturnal and are very social creatures. If there not getting the attention they need then they can actually go into depression. This causes them to act more like a Jack Russel terrier and can give you behavior problems.

I have raised two sets of rats Kay and Yuri (from the dirty pair) and later Tommieta and Lassie. I really loved them as pets but the problem is there life span. They normally live healthy for about three years. If they last longer they start to develop tumors and other problems.

BruiseMuse
12-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Oh nasty!!! WTF.. there is no way your being for real... are you ?? In and out your mouth ?? Are they hard to control ? I can't do snakes or spiders, maybe if I push myself a centipede . Do you just get normal ones from the bait area in wal-mart ?? Do you wash them ?? Did you eat one by chance ??

Yes, I am for real; I'll try to post a photo later of it. They are not that hard to control; they are basically extend and contract and stretch around; it's not like they are super fast or can do anything crazy except fall out. I just get normal ones from a bait shop (I never knew Walmart carried them, good to know) and I just wash them off. I've never eaten one, in fact I'm a vegetarian and after I'm done acting with them I release them in the yard.

darkXmoon
12-22-2010, 03:22 PM
it's not like they are super fast or can do anything crazy except fall out.

Yuck!........ Girl got a dirty mouth. I am going to try this though. At least once. I can't even believe I want to try it but I am going to. I'm going to research this one though to make sure I can't catch any thing.

BruiseMuse
12-22-2010, 03:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/bansheette/67554_162688837084543_100000302843399_410228_43580 71_n.jpg

Please pardon the 30 second makeup job; I taught an acting class for kids that night and so I didn't get to the haunt until late. But it gives an idea of the fun things you can do with worms.

Killer Katie
12-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I can personally attest to the disgusting props that Katie uses. Worms are really just the tip of the iceberg. She really goes for it, and people actually run in fear from a 4ft actress.
No lying. She is gross! (and I LOVE it!!! )

And, on the random prop front, I created a character around a bloody high heel. I would walk up to people and ask them if they knew how to kill someone with a shoe? You have to press real hard! And then whipped it over my head, and charged with a Indian like war-whoop.
I also had a character named "Noel" that had a creepy stuffed snowman. I would walk around with red pantyhose on my head, and tell people he smelled like Christmas, wann smell? Then have the snowman pretend to fart on them. Ridiculous, but entertaining. Helped to let down their guard so they would get scared better inside.
Random can be very, very rewarding!
Like your "Merrick-like" character could have part of his parasitic twin on a stick, or the turkey baster he was conceived with?

darkXmoon
12-22-2010, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Killer Katie;106984]I can personally attest to the disgusting props that Katie uses. Worms are really just the tip of the iceberg. She really goes for it, and people actually run in fear from a 4ft actress.
No lying. She is gross!
/QUOTE]

Like what....... Do I even want to know ?

Allen H
12-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Another prop idea for you mud, a wallet with a picture in it, tell them its your Mom dad and big brother (Its just of two people).

Killer Katie
12-23-2010, 08:51 AM
You probably don't want to know, but I shall brag about her anyway! :)
The Condensed version goes a little something like this:
She always has something dead on her - be it bones or skin.
She likes to boil entrails and chew on them.
And she has eaten vomit.
Not her own vomit.
See? Gross! LOL

Dr. Giggles
12-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Been a while since I have had a chance to use the interwebz.
An old guys take on it, is that frankly I don't care how good of an actor you are. If your working the line getting people worked up, everyone excited and ready to go. Eventually they are going to get comfortable. So entertain them, be witty. Occasionally I'l get a really ridiculous scare with an over the top tactic. Really suddenly, then be like "Oh my! Did you all see that comin? Me either! Thats called improv right der. Y'all get what yousa paid fer in dis place." Usually to their friends. That way I get a scare and everyone has a good time. Point is to get them excited, I never understood the actors who work lines and try to be scary the whole time. I have gotten comments such as
"How do you do that?! Make me laugh an cry in the span of two minutes!"
As a general rule they get overbearing and annoying. Usually. Some can pull it off.
Your not the haunt, the haunt is scary. And people are grouchy enough waiting in line, I see no problem with lightening the mood abit some time.

Keep the humour macabre if you want. If its a group of four 20 year olds you can tailor your humour a bit ad be a bit more adult. Give each person a show, make yourself memorable.
And you dont always have to be aggressive, or vicious, or scary at all to do that. And most of all, keep the people entertained.
Thats your job in the line, get them psyched and ready to be scared in the haunt!

OdetteDespairr
12-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Awesome thanks Katie! I really appreciate it and Tater is it just me or do we always take MY car lol dont worry i'll keep them in the little plastic box they belong in and release them afterwards. I understand what you meen about katie going all the way with stuff once im in character I can't be stopped lol.

This coming year will be the year of things in pockets for me lol im going to create a new character named Kreature who has all kinds of slimy, bloody, alive, disgusting, bad things in pockets.

Im going to have to put in bulk orders at the butchers this year it looks like.

Jackie
RFR

BruiseMuse
12-23-2010, 09:37 PM
You probably don't want to know, but I shall brag about her anyway! :)
The Condensed version goes a little something like this:
She always has something dead on her - be it bones or skin.
She likes to boil entrails and chew on them.
And she has eaten vomit.
Not her own vomit.
See? Gross! LOL

You can see some of the intestine chewing and vomit eating in the Spookyworld/Nightmare New England trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=318x1Dz5fNo