PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Haunted House 2011 Thread

OblivionHauntedHouse
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Hey guys! Erick from Oblivion Haunted House!
Havent been on the Forum in a while but glad to be back! Work has been crazy and planning next years haunt is underway!

We have found out the the owner of our building is going to rennovate next year into offices - thus begins the search for a new location. Obviously NOT what we wanted to hear but knew it may happen.

We had a VERY successful year and cannot wait to meet so many of you this march at TRANSWORLD. If you would like to meet me and the crew out - please drop me a PM and hopefully we can meet for a drink and put names with the avatars! :)

Here is a short video one of our actors did. It features some footage of our "Scare Cam" which guests could watch the group behind them get scared by a drop panel at the exit. You exited our haunt through a gift shop. We doubled merchandise sales when we put that camera in there, because it caused patrons to hang out longer in the gift shop, instead of exiting right away. We are DEFFINATLY doing this again!

I will take cue from Eric from Haunted Overload and begin our 2011 season progress thread. I also loved watching Haunted Overload, Disturbia, Folklore and Haunted High's progress last year. I will post periodically as we deconstruct sets and search for a good location for next years event.

Enjoy!

myFhWmQtepw

graystone
01-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Good luck my friend I wish you the best in 2011 and hope you get to attend my party and take something cool home with you! Look me up! Shane and it's see you soon! Shane this time!

elowther
01-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Man that's a bummer you have to move Erick. Good luck with finding a spot and constructing. It will be a challenge but you have good momentum and a great team. You might find yourself in an even better spot! I look forward to watching the progress. Thanks for posting, it's cool to see a few 2011 haunt threads already.

Eric

OblivionHauntedHouse
01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys! We are in discussions with another local established haunt who has invited us to build at their location to create a small 'scream park'. We are also looking at an old school house this weekend. More info to come!

OblivionHauntedHouse
01-10-2011, 08:35 AM
We have been brainstorming our ideas and sketching away on ideas and plans for 2011!

Check back for constant updates and photos of the progress!

elowther
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
There's nothing like a huge change to get the motivation going. Even though it's a pain it must be exciting to think of the new possibilities. It's good you found out this early in the year.

This thread is going to be cool! Can't wait to see the progress and how it turns out.

Eric

SomeThingInTheIce
01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Nice, the outside is already to go.

Thanks guys! We are in discussions with another local established haunt who has invited us to build at their location to create a small 'scream park'. We are also looking at an old school house this weekend. More info to come!

OblivionHauntedHouse
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Nice, the outside is already to go.

Yeah the outside is amazing and the inside has a full bar, from when it was a ball and ballroom. A Win Win! :)

OblivionHauntedHouse
03-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Alot have happened since my last post.

As soon as the owner found out that we were moving completely, we were asked to produce a smaller event for use of the building at no cost. They are rennovating a large portion of our building but we still will have a decent sized haunt. The section we are using has 5,000 square feet that we didnt even touch last season. Attached are some photos of year down. 83938394839583968397

elowther
03-03-2011, 07:15 AM
That's great you don't have to move Erick! No cost is even better! You can do a lot with that space and get creative with the design for maximum scares, it will be cool! Thanks for the update.

Eric

Pumpkin King
03-03-2011, 04:42 PM
That's great you don't have to move Erick! No cost is even better! You can do a lot with that space and get creative with the design for maximum scares, it will be cool! Thanks for the update.

Eric

Yea! The walls of the building are even a little creepy if used right. Great job so far! :D

OblivionHauntedHouse
03-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Working on our logo. I woke up this morning and saw my sweatshirt on the floor and thought "my that text is quite bubbly and cheery!" thought I would try to "scare" it up a bit.

Old Logo

Possible New Logo (first draft)

OblivionHauntedHouse
03-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Played around for a while and finally got what I think we are looking for. Thoughts?

Novus
03-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Played around for a while and finally got what I think we are looking for. Thoughts?

Looks great, but I'm still kinda partial to the see-through wings with the color matching "Oblivion." I think you'd be fine with either one, just personal preference.

Edit: On a second look, it does distinguish itself from last season's design.

OblivionHauntedHouse
03-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Well we meet this weekend to plan out our layout for the season! Getting very excited! I am making headway on the new, revamped version of the logo.
Attached is a photo of the current state of progress.
I also attached a picture of the building. This is the same building we were in last year and have signed a 3 year lease with the owners. The front of the building is actually the exit to the haunt and there is now a parking lot to the left.

graystone
03-23-2011, 02:06 PM
I really like it and I like it alot. I would not change one thing. It's crisp, gorey, easy to read and leaves much to the imagination! Shane and it's home run! Shane

the ogre
03-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Erick,

the new logo looks sick. i love the tattered wings. gives the whole thing alot of depth. the building it awesome too. its good your on a 3 yr lease, now the possiblities are endless. i wish you and your crew all the best. hopefully i make it out there this yr.

Raycliff Manor
03-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Hey, congratulations Erick! That's awesome news for you guys and in 3 years maybe you can negotiate to buy!;) It was great meeting you guys at TW and we'll see you at MHC!

Kel

Dalloween
03-23-2011, 05:20 PM
The new version of the logo is great... and congrats on the lease.

OblivionHauntedHouse
03-28-2011, 10:06 PM
This year we are theming the exit of our attraction to match our indoor queue line (industrial/sewer) and will have a Dark Art Gallery and our gift shop. We will market this as an additional attraction that you get access too with your ticket purchase. We will display and sell local artists DARK art. Zombies prints, paintings, clay work, horror sculptures, etc.

Cant wait to get to work on this!

graystone
03-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Looking good man! Shane and it's keep it up! Shane

OblivionHauntedHouse
03-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks everyone! We start build this weekend. I will deffinatly be taking some photos and video of the progress. We got a boat load of more "budget friendly" tricks up our sleeves! Cannot wait to share!

-Erick

Dark Scares
04-01-2011, 02:00 AM
That's what I love about you guys, you do quality work and don't spend a fortune. Great inspiration!

OblivionHauntedHouse
04-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Well we spent the whole weekend at the haunt finishing tear down and are now ready to begin the 2011 build of OBLIVION HAUNTED ATTRACTION! This seasons layout and design is flawless and I cannot wait to get to work on it! Here is a picture of this past weekend after the complete tear down!

Build pictures soon to come!

xxxdirk
04-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Looks like you guys are ready to rock. I am still waiting for my landlord to get me the lease to sign for 2011 and once he does, we are planning on doing some additions and revisions to our haunt. My crew keeps messaging me asking when we will start up again and I am going stir crazy too. Funny cause I am pretty sure it was one year ago today we 1st saw our new bldg and last year, we did not satrt move in until 6/30. LOL

Gore Galore
04-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Erick,
I like both T-shirt designs.
The more designs you have, the more you will sell. Just like yourself, people love choices.
Plus one color is less expensive to produce.

Here are 2 great suppliers I use.
http://www.upstatemerch.com/
http://www.sunshinetees.com/

MDKing
04-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I think the logo is great, nice work!!!

Allan

OblivionHauntedHouse
04-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks Kevin and Allen!

The T-shirt design will come soon. We are going to hopefully sell shirts with our icon character them each year, as well as a logo tee and maybe a humor tee. Our "Don't scare me, I poop easily" slogan went over very well last year :)

OblivionHauntedHouse
04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
We have begun our build season and constructing out indoor queue line area. Here are some photos from last weekends activities.

xxxdirk
04-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Fun stuff Erick. LOL, saw a big dumpster of stuff by your place when I drove past yesterday. Might hook a chain to it and drang it to Manitowoc with my Prius. :) Ron

drfrightner
04-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Hey I love these threads... keep them coming!

Its so much fun to see a haunt go from piles of plywood to your creative dream.

Larry

the ogre
04-20-2011, 09:14 PM
erik,

looks like everything is coming along nicely. cant wait to see the end result

Bradenton Haunted Trail
04-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Man I can not wait to start my build, I will start end of may and will start a thread then. Looks great guys cant wait to see your haunt develop.

Shawn
http://bradentonhauntedtrail.com
Soon to be Twisted Woods

OblivionHauntedHouse
04-25-2011, 09:40 AM
erik,

looks like everything is coming along nicely. cant wait to see the end result

Thanks, Tim! Hope you have a chance to stop out and see it!

OblivionHauntedHouse
04-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Hey I love these threads... keep them coming!

Its so much fun to see a haunt go from piles of plywood to your creative dream.

Larry

We couldnt have done it without all of your great tips, tricks and insight.

We are living the dream! Thats for sure!

OblivionHauntedHouse
04-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Man I can not wait to start my build, I will start end of may and will start a thread then. Looks great guys cant wait to see your haunt develop.

Shawn
http://bradentonhauntedtrail.com
Soon to be Twisted Woods

Absoluetly! Be sure to start your own thread! We love seeing and sharing others ideas and tips!

OblivionHauntedHouse
04-25-2011, 09:46 AM
That's what I love about you guys, you do quality work and don't spend a fortune. Great inspiration!

Thanks so much! And we will never charge for any of our ideas. My phone number is always available for anyone wanting some great cost saving tips and tricks. Working full time in theatre, lord knows I have a bunch of cheap tricks up my sleeve that give great visual results!

halloweenroom
05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
keep posting brotha! I will see you in two weeks:)

Kelly Anderson
05-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Very cool seeing you post your progress. I was able to see your haunt last year and absolutely loved it. Will try and get back this year early in october. Will definately like seeing your building progess pictures. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Is this the same building you were in last year??

OblivionHauntedHouse
05-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Kelly,
Thanks for the kind words! It is/will be in the same building as last year. We completely tore down the previous attraction and are building from the ground up with a new layout, new scares and new theming! Last year the event was run by and as a fundraiser for local non for profits and the University. I spearheaded the design, construction and operation of the event. This year Myself along with 3 other business partners have purchased the event and will be producing a truly professional 'for profit' haunt. We will still benefit local charities and such - but I guess you might say were 'under new management!' :) Be sure to ask for me and say hi in october!

dr0zombie
05-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Are all of your flats on a 2x2 rather than a 2x4?

Kelly Anderson
05-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Kelly,
Thanks for the kind words! It is/will be in the same building as last year. We completely tore down the previous attraction and are building from the ground up with a new layout, new scares and new theming! Last year the event was run by and as a fundraiser for local non for profits and the University. I spearheaded the design, construction and operation of the event. This year Myself along with 3 other business partners have purchased the event and will be producing a truly professional 'for profit' haunt. We will still benefit local charities and such - but I guess you might say were 'under new management!' :) Be sure to ask for me and say hi in october!

I was able to meet up with a few people from different haunts up in your area. Spent the weekend and got to see 4 haunts including yours as I mentioned. Will definately say "hi" when we stop in over October. Keep up the great work. Thanks for keeping us posted with your progress and wishing you the best of luck under the ......."NEW MANAGEMENT"....LOL

halloweenroom
06-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Are all of your flats on a 2x2 rather than a 2x4?

Yes all of our panels are made from 2x2 framing and 1/2 OSB.

xxxdirk
06-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Eric, where the heck were you guys at MHC? Only saw you that one time. Sorry I did not stop and talk but I was not feeling well the whole weekend.
Ron

Raycliff Manor
06-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Ron, it was great seeing you, but I thought you seemed a little more quiet than normal. Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well, but glad we got to hang out for a bit.

Kel

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Greetings! WOW what a busy summer! We deffinatly have been kicking ass the last couple weekends. All of our walls are up and we are into the detail build out and scenic work.
Here are some pics from the progress. I will try to get more up as they become available.
Tony our resident welder working on creating a new gift shop counter out of old towers.
Some re purposed shelving from an old linens and things for the gift shop
Part of the new indoor queue line
More indoor queue line
Indoor queue line in progress

OblivionHauntedHouse
07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
And here are some more pics....

Haunt in progress
the first room of our large 'orphanage' for 2011 under construction
Gore Galore Goat Head arrived and ready for install!
Queue Line w/ Scenic Lighting
Tony welding together the counter for our new 2011 Dark Art Gallery and Gift Shop!

graystone
07-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Everything is looking great! Shane and it's keep it up! Shane

Pumpkin King
07-27-2011, 02:01 PM
The que looks amazing! Keep posting pictures, I love it!

SCfearfarm
07-31-2011, 01:04 PM
How do you make the arched cielings like that? Is it just luan? And what kind of frame do you build to screw them to in the middle? I don't think I'll have time to do anything like that this year, but that looks awesome guys.....keep up the good work.

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
How do you make the arched cielings like that? Is it just luan? And what kind of frame do you build to screw them to in the middle? I don't think I'll have time to do anything like that this year, but that looks awesome guys.....keep up the good work.

It is just Masonite. Or as we call it... Shit board.
its about 4 bucks a sheet now around here....

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Lots of new construction photos added! For some reason, it will not let me upload them here... Add us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/oblivionhauntedhouse

damon carson
08-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Its all looking Good! Erick
Damon
Frightmasters

Raycliff Manor
08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
How many of you are involved in the creative/build process? You are all VERY TALENTED! It's looking awesome!

Kel

OblivionHauntedHouse
08-15-2011, 10:28 PM
we have 4 of us building the attraction this year with a couple random actors volunteering every once in a while.
Thanks for the compliments! We love to hear them and it fuels our creativity. Everyone's support on here really pushed us last year to re do this years event!

The Mad Hatter
08-17-2011, 02:49 AM
Wow, This is coming along great! Thanks for sharing!