PDA

View Full Version : Best cordless drill?

N2SPOOKINU
01-09-2011, 07:04 PM
If your tools are like mine the most important tools are the cordless drill. Just curious which brand you prefer?
We went shopping for new drills today because our others are just worn out. The batteries go dead to fast and just dont give us what we need anymore.
We went to Home Depot and talked to one of the salesman.
To our surprise we found out Ridgid has a LIFETIME warranty on the batteries AND the cordless tools.
All you have to do is fill out the warranty info online. If a battery goes bad or a drill stops working just take it to Home Depot and they will send it out for repair. (1-2 week return time).
We bought ours today. Tried it out a little. It looks like it will do the job just fine.
I really like the lifetime warranty part.
Just a little info I thought I would pass on to my fellow haunters that might be needing some cordless tools this year.

Greg
Fearfest

Darkangel
01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Rigid and Dewalt are good just make sure you get the impact drills definitely the better drill to use.

DA

N2SPOOKINU
01-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Yeah dark, thats all we buy now. We have alot of dewalt drills but with this lifetime warranty Ridgid has we are going to have to try them.

Greg
Fearfest

Darkangel
01-09-2011, 07:24 PM
You'll love them!

Good luck,

DA

Twin Locusts
01-09-2011, 08:20 PM
I only have an impact wrench for auto work but can speak to the quality of Dewalt. If you're getting battery powered the key is to get a minimum of 14.4 volts, 9.6 will make you do more of the work and will simply fail at some jobs. 14.4 is faster and has more torque in every application.

I've gotten good, sustained use, battery life as well. However, if Rigid does the job well it's hard to beat lifetime battery warranty. It's be good to know if Dewalt is the OEM for Rigid.

The only brand I suggest staying away from is Ryobi, never owned any but have worked on sites that do and they're junk.

Darkangel
01-09-2011, 08:33 PM
I suggest 18 volts for your impactor. I've owned a few Ryobi's they were fine.

DA

xxxdirk
01-09-2011, 10:18 PM
We own 5-7 Ryobis. Dewalt and Rigid are good, but I can not justify the price. (Always get 18V

damon carson
01-10-2011, 11:24 AM
That lifetime warranty is only on your lifetime Greg! LOL!
Damon

bodybagging
01-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Makita and Dewalts 18 volt of course...... Of course after 6 years of abuse my Makitas took a dump on my this past season... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dark Attraction
01-11-2011, 02:19 PM
The Makita 18 volt Lithium Ion drills are by far the best drills for haunt use IMHO. They are very lightweight, powerful, and durable. You can get a set with a drill and an impact, plus charger and 2 batteries for $279. Home Depot had a set with one battery during Christmas time for $99, but I think it was a cheaper version.

I have a ton of 18v DeWalt gear, including drill/screwguns. They are great workhorses, but they get heavy over time.

A few years back, I purchased a Ridgid 18v set because of the "lifetime" warranty. The drill was very heavy, and impractical for frequent use in a haunt environment. I ended up trading all of my Ridgid cordless stuff for other tools.

I have mild carpal tunnel that is aggravated by too much use of the heavier drills. I haven't had any problems after driving hundreds of pounds of screws in the past 2 years using the Makita.

I also picked up some "refurbished" Makita drills to have some extras, and some of the bigger (3.0 ah?) battery packs.

On a related note, your local Interstate Batteries store can re-cell your dying or dead batteries. I just had a bunch of my DeWalt 18v's done, but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. They are supposed to be better cells than the originals.

N2SPOOKINU
01-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Dark, thanks for the info on interstate batteries. My Dewalt batteries are goin bad on me and if I can get them replaced cheaply I will consider it.
Most of my drills are Craftsman 19.2v and I bought new batteries for them last year and they already went bad. I know they have a warranty but I got the run around last time I tried to replace them so I will not buy any more.
We purchased the white Makita ion 2 years ago and the battery lasted about 6 months. Home Depot replaced it for me and the replacement lasted about the same time .
So now I have a Makita without a good battery and a bunch of Craftsman cordless tools with minimum amounts of batteries and Dewalts with the batteries going bad. (Very depressing lol)
I guess I dont have good luck with batteries which is why I was leaning in the Ridgid direction.
We will be buying 5 more impact drills this week to get our shop set up for tear out.
This thread has been pretty informative. Thank you!
Greg
Fearfest

Jim Warfield
01-12-2011, 12:56 AM
I know Black & Decker has made some junk but this little hand-sized drill is incredible and the best 39 to $42 you will ever spend for any battery drill.
It is very small but solidly built, powered by Lithium it just keeps on turning and turning even when by the old normal standards these low groans would be the last sounds that you would hear just before a battery would go completely dead, this one is so surprising this way. Very handy for small places and high places when 18 volt batterys will break your. arm. What's
saving this abuse worth? $39-42? dollars? I can't stop using mine it is so easy to even carry around, you slip it in your pocket, leaving both your hands free to carry or hold other things.
They have a smal blue light built in to show you what you are working on. The forward/reverse switch is very handy and is designed so it almost reverses each time by itself as your hand passes over the lever. It has torque clutch adjustments which are very handy for controlling touchy drilling and screwing jobs with small, and thin things where neatness counts.
I too have had many different brands of different tools. I used to have a "Tools That Shit On Me" display here in my haunted house. A "tree" with them al hanging there, cords usually cut off and sometime internal parts laid out.
A local hardware store/lumberyard owner who sells DeWalt tools told me a few years ago that DeWalt makes many drills and saws that look identicle but are not, heavier or flimsier internal parts and this is what makes some of them much more expensive than the "On Sale" DeWalts, sometimes. You normally only discover this fact when you begin ordering switch parts and other things, one size doesnot fit all, or at least this was the way it was a few years ago, unless he was just fibbing to justify his locally higher prices?

krazedklownkilla
01-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Ridgid is a great drill and its what I use BUT it is very heavy.

RJ Productions
01-20-2011, 12:16 AM
I switched to DeWalt when 14.4 was the biggest. I just stayed with them. The biggest issue is manufacturers switching style of the batteries. We bought Craftsman cordless and the next year they switched style and you couldn't get batteries.

In regards to batteries the best bet is to get a few batteries, then when you have the battery shells you can have them rebuilt.
I've used Battery Pack Rebuilders.

http://stores.ebay.com/Battery-Pack-Rebuilders-LLC?refid=store

You pay shipping to them, they pay return shipping.

Graveyard
01-20-2011, 12:31 AM
I really like this Ryobi:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100049838/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It's lightweight, affordable, plus comes with a light at the base so when you are doing some night drilling :) or quick fixes here and there it comes in handy.

Although you can only get this version purchased individually, the one in the kits do not have the light.

Ryobi 1/4 in. 18 Volt Cordless Impact Driver, about 1 hour recharge time.

Gets the job done, very good worker, never talks back... and worse case if you do drop it from working on your 50' tall facade... it's reasonably priced to replace if it breaks outside of its warranty period.

mindtumor
01-20-2011, 07:31 AM
I believe this belongs under the hauntworld award post.

Anyway, I really, really like Dewalt. I have a bunch of Ryobi cordless tools as well, inexpensive and reliable. But if I could I would always pick Dewalt.

legendsofthefog
01-20-2011, 07:53 AM
When we first started the haunt... we put everything together with a paslode cordless nail guns. At the time, we thought they were the best available. In 2008 when rip (Gary) came aboard the build crew, we began using his dewalt 18v impact drivers... man, they're the best way to go.
I hate the thump:thump:thump of the phillips head rising out of the screw when trying to use a regular drill. The impact drivers eliminate the headache of trying to use these. Also, they're lighter, and you have to apply less pressure to the screw.

Ok... so Ridgid vs. dewalt...
In 2008 I also bought a set of tools... i went to depot, and they had a great sale on these "super powerful" ridgid 24v combo kits. I bought their saw-zall, drill, circular and an impactor and the all important flashlight that came with the kit (what a joke). They were obviously more powerful coming out of the kit... but after the first season of heavy use... they began losing power. Out of the 4 batteries that I purchased, I only have 2 left working. Furthermore... guess who lost the receipt? this guy.

Now we're making the switch back to dewalt. It is best when your whole crew can operate off of the same batteries. Whether they're the nickel-cad or the lithium ion batteries... Dewalt will always be our first choice!

Darkangel
01-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Graveyard,

For those Ryobi's just be careful when choosing your Impact driver since one has a light and one doesn't but they look identical. I think the light is sku# is P230A, which retails for $69. I've been burned before and realized it wasn't the one with the light so I make sure now. Still a good and reliable cordless drill.

DA

Jim Warfield
01-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Just a few yrs. ago there was a big job building a warehouse. Over the weekend somebody cut through the metal wall and stole every battery from every tool for the self-destructive hobby of getting hi from concoctions made from the lithium, also a very dangerous pursuit sometimes resulting in very nasty chemical burns, to say the least.

damon carson
01-20-2011, 08:57 AM
From reading your post Darkangel I do believe you did get burnt once maybe twice in your life.
Damon

Darkangel
01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Damon,

Please explain? If you're referring to getting burned on the drill exclusively, rest assured, I had the receipt and made the exchange! :)

Bradenton Haunted Trail
01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
I own a construction company and i use Dewalt 18v impact for everything except masonry work you need a hammer drill for that and i use Hilti for masonry. I have used just about every drill under the sun the dewalt's just seem to last longer and i don't have the time to wait the 4 to 6 weeks it took some of my friends to get there ridged stuff back from warranty. But everyone has there preference if you go to a local home show they usually have a bunch of different brands you can try. But I would only get the impact drills they are far superior than everything else.

N2SPOOKINU
01-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Ive been out of town for the last few days with no access to a computer. Since my first post I have stumbled across several batteries for my dewalt drills.
The dewalt drills I have are work horses and with the addition of more batteries will help continue our use of them.
As far as impact or regular drill, I think the preferred is obvious. They just work better in my opinion also.
So now the batteries are charged up...... Lets get building!
Greg
Fearfest

rip-saw
01-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Heres my opinion and take it for what it is worth I use my cordless tools 330 days a year and thats no joke My job requires them and the haunt requires them so we can build ....DEWALT is the way to go I have had them all....b&d firestorms, Makita, Ryobi and craftsman.....dewalt by far is the best I have 18 volt..impacts and hammer drills as well as circular, recipercating, grinding and jigsaws all are dewalt....I do like the new lithium batteries though....I have rebuilt my dewalt batteries very easy to do and you can get all materials from radio shack and youtube shows you how....also when buying a dewalt set make sure you charger has that feature that will drain your battery down and trickle charge it back to full charge you do this every 8-10 charges and keep you batteries stored in comfortable temps mine come in every nite during the winter because cold weather will drain them.....Rigid cordless tools run away from them they are having major flaws with them and may not be warrentied.....dewalt is the way to go....any questions hit me up with a private message.....rip

bhays
01-22-2011, 06:51 AM
http://twitpic.com/3mfzytMilwaukee all the way for me. A little more upfront expense but outstanding performance. I have 28v, 12v and 18v. In the process of transitioning to mostly using the M18 stuff as the 28v batteries are just too expensive and the M18 tools are lighter, smaller and perform nearly was well.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/219096533.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1295701450&Signature=tShXuuuB8qWJi7Da%2BOH4B75yUGE%3D