PDA

View Full Version : Favorite effects?

screamforadream
01-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey all!

I'm posting this here because I feel it's the only safe place anymore lol. I want to get back to talking and reading things about haunts! So I figured what better way than to have us share our favorite effects that we use or have seen in other haunts that we just thought were cool or enjoyed. :)

Personally, I'm a big fan of the bottomless pit illusion, can hold up the line at times, but it is very cool when you try and have people walk over a plank across a "bottomless pit" haha. That and when 3-D haunts splatter the floors so even the floor is 3-D, that always makes it an even better experience!

What about you guys?

Capt.Chaos
01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Anybody have a good tutorial on creating the bottomless pit. I wanted to do it next year in my haunt. Im too new to have a favorite effect. I like them all.LOL

screamforadream
01-10-2011, 11:02 AM
It's a really easy illusion! You just need a small room, a 4'long by 6' wide is good enough, paint the walls a solid black if you are in a pitch black themed haunt, or put a stone pattern on or any other dark but continuous pattern along the entire length of every wall, and you can use flat carnival mirror (www.carnivalmirror.com) or plexiglass (i think) as a floor. Some people use a plank on the ground that you can screw or glue on depending on how you're set up, or you can put circular stumps of sorts that they actually have to "hop" to (even though it's just more like walking but shhh...let's pretend!)

I wanted to post a picture of one but I can't seem to find it in my endless abyss of pictures on my computer, if I ever come across it I'll post it for you lol.

FablesStudios
01-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Iím a fan of CGI effects that interact with a room and the patron.

legendsofthefog
01-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I love working with fog, and the crazy effects it has with lighting and our guests. We are heavy users of Froggy Fog's swamp juice, and yes, there is a huge difference. One of our haunts, Sinister Circus, is an entire haunt devoted to heavy smoke effects and optical illusions with both the classic illusions and some cutting edge tricks.
Second, there is always room for falling objects, falling walls, and other overhead scares. One of our falling walls just drops customers to their knees. These are the most important to be sure that you get 'that guy' that doesn't get scared.

HauntChick
01-10-2011, 02:03 PM
I personally love the giant puppets that netherworld uses. I was eaten twice! I also really enjoy overhead effects of all types. It's easy to get use to things coming from ahead, sides, and even behind. But you add below or above, that's a whole new ballgame. :)

freak 'n' stein
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
It's easy to get use to things coming from ahead, sides, and even behind. But you add below or above, that's a whole new ballgame. :)

When I used to act, those are the two scares I would emphasize!! Scare em from below and there is NOWHERE they can go!!! Scare them from above and they hit the floor!!! My two favorite scares.

...about the bottomless pit effects try: http://hauntproject.com/projdetail.asp?category=Bottomless%20Pits -- there is also a really good article in the last haunt world mag on bottomless pits and endless hallways.

Allen H
01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
I love the laser lagoon room effect and I also really like sets where the actor is camoflauged and gets a good startle because they never knew he was there.

HauntChick
01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm in the process of making a ghillie suit... :) Love

screamforadream
01-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I think once people started posting I remembered how much I liked those effects and I'm glad I started this an didn't hop in, I don't think I'd be able to choose after all of this. Lol.

And legendsofthefog, I would love to see that haunt. I love when haunts surround you in fog, it just makes it more fun. I love Froggy's Fog their swamp juice is the best, I have a ton of it on hand all the time lol. Their fast dissipating fog is also really cool for stuff for quick bursts.... I did get a new toy for Christmas and it's a fog gun, really cool! It's black light reactive and shoots perfect fog rings a pretty good distance. Yes, I definitely plan on using it with my character. :)

Wait wait wait...Netherworld has plant puppets that EAT you?? I need to get out more often.

HauntChick
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Yea, there's three different times that they have giant puppets attack you. one of them missed me because i'm a ninja... the other two got me. One of them actually had me up against a wall and i couldn't go anywhere... thanks to keegan...

freak 'n' stein
01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Yea, there's three different times that they have giant puppets attack you. one of them missed me because i'm a ninja... the other two got me. One of them actually had me up against a wall and i couldn't go anywhere... thanks to keegan...

a ninja? or a BLACK ninja?!! hahaha...sorry, insider :)

HauntChick
01-10-2011, 06:08 PM
a ninja? or a BLACK ninja?!! hahaha...sorry, insider :)

a black ninja. but keegan's anything but a ninja, so he blocked my quick escape. He's more like a tall knight in heavy loud armor...

Big puppets = awesome scare

jakprintsHAUNT
01-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I love the laser lagoon room effect and I also really like sets where the actor is camoflauged and gets a good startle because they never knew he was there.

This is a really cool one...was done very well at Necropolis in Columbia where trees came down from ceiling to meet at the laser plane (giving hideouts for the actors, although I could see being dangerous for the actor at times). The people I was walking through even called out that there would be someone under the laser plane...and it still got them. That was also one of the coolest things I though on the Nightmare Factory special when they showed the suits that were painted like the walls...a fresh takeoff on the old "dot guy" trick.

I personally really like when there is some kind of production to an act instead of just walk by startle/popout scares...while this isnt quite as easy to pull off at high volume haunts...I like when you get more show to go with the scare. Lots of good skits like that at Haunted Hoochie.

Mike "Pogo" Hach

Jim Warfield
01-10-2011, 11:16 PM
When people here are all saying, "We are in the basement now." Or:"We must be in that wine cellar now...wait! Are those stars up there? we are outside!"
I have had So Many people say this over the years..and really I don't know why?
So effect huh? And I'm not doing it! (I hate to say they are not smart enough to know where they are when it's obvious...)
My personally invented scare is when I defy convention and a silent arendage comes over a wall(you Have to make a sound to scare don't you?) NO! I think the silence is much scarier to most people because it keeps one more of their senses from helping to determine what is happening, just like having your vision obstructed makes us worry all the more.

screamforadream
01-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Okay.....now I KNOW I REALLY need to get out more. That's really cool, never thought of giant puppets, time to search for them on YouTube!

No haunts up here have that laser lagoon effect, and I've only seen videos/pictures of it, but I would love to see it in person.

Another effect I liked, although could have been executed a little better, was as a haunt here in CT where it was their last scene and you were separated from your group and sent to your own personal morgue and had to get into an actual pullout body freezer type thing. Was a really cool idea. I just wish I knew I had to get out on my own and roll out the side, it was pitch black and the actors were getting frustrated...guess I wasn't the first one lol! But a great ending nonetheless.

Jim Warfield
01-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Money-making potential as the small change dumps from their pockets during the rolling!
(ever so quietly landing upon a carpeted surface, in the dark of course)

screamforadream
01-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Hahaha, I KNEW I should have felt around to see if I could find a quarter or two!

HauntChick
01-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I also really enjoyed the vibrating floors. Those really threw me for a loop as I have terrible balance to begin with. :)

TheCareTaker
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM
I have always like the helivator and or the moving walls as an effect like Netherworld has a spot it is like a gothic archway i think and you walk through both side move. BUT my all time favorit for me is the claustrophobic halls i love them jus twish they did not hold the line up and or be so easy to distroy. other than that i have allways had a thing for a good cave with a blower fan moving air with a scent. thats the one little bits of things hanging form the cieling and the sounds of monsters just around the corner. just my 2 cents.

rwrussom
01-14-2011, 11:08 AM
We had a long hall at the beginning of our show that brought the guests from the street front where the line, etc were to the back of the building where the show really started. This was always an issue for us.

The cheap and easy solution was a lazer vortex tunnel. A few fog machines and about $10 in parts and we were set. The cool part was actors could be on one side of the laser effect and not be seen by the guests coming down the hall, but the actors could easily see the guests. They could get right up to the guests and then appear. On top of that the effect created a great distraction because it really is cool to see. Actors could hide in the dark and let the guests just walk right by and get them from behind.

It had to be one of the best bang for the buck effect and solved a difficult area.

Allen H
01-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I agree whole heartedly, the one way view effect of the laser is an awesome tool. Zombie manor in Arlington made their laser tunnel way more effective by bouncing their laser off of a large mirror, doubling the length of throw by the looks of it. The laser is mounted over the guests heads as they walk in and bounced off a mirror at the end of the hall really nice addiion to the effect.
Allen H

rwrussom
01-14-2011, 07:19 PM
That is exactly what we did. We spent alot more time and money on other gags that did not work as well as this simple effect.