PDA

View Full Version : New Forums ... Need Your Help

drfrightner
02-17-2011, 05:05 AM
Hey Folks... you might notice a few new things around here. Anyway we need your help. tell us if something isn't working!!!!

Secondly tell us if you don't like something. And lastly suggest new plug in applications to us... they have a full page of plug ins that can be added. What would you like to see us add what do you think we should do??? Please tell us and we'll add it...HERE IS YOUR CHANCE you tell us a feature you want give me a link to the plug in and we'll buy it and add it asap.

HELP ME design this forum and make it better FOR YOU!

Speak up!!!!

Larry

jakprintsHAUNT
02-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Not sure if it is something that is a plugin per say, but an app to access via smartphones (ie iPhone and Droid) would be pretty sweet for all of us that want our Hauntworld fix on the go (easier at least than going through phone browser and having to zoom in).

Mike "Pogo" Hach

1mando
02-17-2011, 07:01 AM
The gray background and the gray text color make it kinda hard to read. Other than that the new look is great

shawng
02-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Can we dull down this intense orange color of the header bars (the title bars above each post) its burning my retina! And yes, brighten up the post text.

graystone
02-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Larry I say go with white text. Shane and it's gray is hard to see. Shane

BruiseMuse
02-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Definitely agree with Shane about the text. The light gray on gray is a pain to read.

Karl Fields
02-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Pretty small in the grand scheme of things, but…

Seems to have lost the ability to show who is online. Where that normally showed was at the bottom of the main forum page, now it simply says “Array” rather than listing who’s here.

and then there are the little pumpkins showing "unread posts" and "NO unread posts" for each forum. Yes they are still the same!

Gray text is really hard on these old eyes :(

Couple of newer ones, it used to be that when you went into a forum, and then came back to the main forum page, the forum that you were just in was highlighted or something. Now I can't seem to tell what forum I had just gone to.

When selecting Forums Tools, Mark this Forum read, it doesn't update the screen.

Dalloween
02-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Karl, if you go to "Quick links" at the top of the screen, there's a link to see who is online.

Karl Fields
02-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Yes, but it seems I need to select the only choice of "Leaders" and then select "Users". Kind of awkward - besides taking me away from the Forum page itself.

Karl, if you go to "Quick links" at the top of the screen, there's a link to see who is online.

screamforadream
02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Larry,

My biggest suggestions are;

-Text color

-iPhone/smartphone friendlier (I'm on my iPhone right now as I am almost every time I'm on here because I'm never home)

-Facebook connect. I personally only use Facebook, but I would assume Facebook and Twitter connections would be cool. Like being able to connect your hauntworld profile to your facebook profile, as well as allowing haunt owners (even when I do my attractions over the year) to connect to their respective hauntworld pages for information. Things like that.

- New idea, maybe instead of changing the text, allow people to create and save their own text options?

Bobby

Allen H
02-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I agree on the facebook sharing, since haunts are my life Im on here way more thanI am FB. It would be nice to tag a post or turn a post into a FB note. A personal gallery option would be great too.
Allen H

freak 'n' stein
02-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure if I am just not seeing it, but what happened to the "Last time visited" display that used to be up by your screen name after logging in. I used to use that to gauge what posts I had read!!

MovieRelics
02-17-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't know what your privacy policy is, but your exposing new members email addresses at the bottom of the frontpage to potential spam harvesters. Just FYI

Darkangel
02-17-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't know if it's a good idea to incorporate Facebook in with this forum. This is where haunters come to talk to each other, away from our customers and the general public. We need our own space free from the public opening this forum up exposes more than we may want the public to know and it might just open ourselves up to creating competition for ourselves by introducing this forum and this industry.

DA

JamBam
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Larger text, NOT gray is my 2 cents.

damon carson
02-17-2011, 02:07 PM
I agree with others. Get rid of the gray text. It sucks. Please lose or thin down the orange bars. I also agree about burning your retina. Espesscially when im up late on H.W at 3 am. Sitting in the dark. And a phone app would be nice. Also dress up the top banner when you get a chance. It looks too plain. Maybe add facebook with a password for serious users. Its getting bad enough with newbies like Catie and Devon! LOL! Love you guys! Ha! Other than that everything is great!
Thanks
Damon

poison
02-17-2011, 02:13 PM
White text for sure!
Very hard to read in grey.

Darkangel
02-17-2011, 02:21 PM
A.J.
Please read my post and share with me where I said it was a top secret site?

For you, I'll break it down a bit more. This is where we as haunters come to talk shop, discuss our issues and concerns, many of which involve issues with the public. For example, there are threads on here that essentially makes fun of our guests and their reactions, or how stupid some things they say are, or other issues might be tricks of the trade on how we can get every dollar out of them, and so on. I doubt the major theme parks would let the general public "sit in" on their meetings. Am I right? I know it's a public forum, but the people who seek it out are those interested in the industry on a higher level than just being a guest. When you put it out there for all to see and invite them in, they will see us in a different light and that's not always a good thing. I hope that made it easier for you to understand my point...

DA

drfrightner
02-17-2011, 02:38 PM
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=245 Go to this link. You can find all the plug ins for this message board. Take a few minutes and read through some and make some suggestions. We are going to install a plug in for mobil phones, and yes on the font color, and yes on facebook connect all coming. Keep posting please... we have some really good guys on the job here who know what they are doing and doing a great job. They are also watching the thread so they'll see the complaints and the suggestions. They can fix it. Thanks Larry

MDKing
02-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Darkangel makes a good point there is a lot here that we wouldn't want our customers to see.

AJ, I've seen several times lately where some of you complain about Darkangel's posts but you provoke him with comments like the one you just made. He made a valid point and I for one agree.

Allan

Twin Locusts
02-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Definitely agree with Shane about the text. The light gray on gray is a pain to read.

plus one...

Darkangel
02-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey Allan thanks a lot!

I'm not worried about though AJ and I will get to know each other better since I'll be hanging around him at the party! Lol

Anyway back on topic.... I agree too a lighter text would be easier to read. Other than that it's pretty much the same as before.

DA

graystone
02-17-2011, 07:55 PM
On the bottom of the page where it says members on line and guest it does not show the members names thats on line. Shane and it's lets see whos on! Shane

zombiphobe
02-17-2011, 08:54 PM
DA,

for some reason I Doubt you will be at the party. But both of you can find me at the show if you really want to follow me around.

hauntworldadmin
02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Hello!

I'm Aaron - one of the guys working on the forum upgrade. As you've noticed, the major suggestions have already been applied:

- White body text instead of grey
- Orange header bars toned down

A couple new plug-ins have been installed as well. Most important for you guys is User Tags. You can now tag other user in your posts similar to Twitter and Facebook. When a user is tagged, they receive a notice on their profile page and shoutbox with a link to the thread/post tagging them. You can also tag users at the very top of a thread, drawing their attention to something you think they'll be interested in. In-post tagging is done by prepending their username with the '@' symbol and appending it with the ';' symbol. Full details are available here (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=242733).

Some upcoming changes:

- I'll be updating the graphics and icons to match the darker orange. We'll also get unique "no posts"/"new posts" icons in place as pointed out by Karl Fields;

What we need feedback on:

- User Allen H; mentioned a photo gallery section for each member so that you can display your hard work, is this an interest of others as well?
- User MovieRelics; mentioned email addresses of new users being displayed, we haven't found where this is occurring. Any additional details available?
- We plan on integrating mobile phone support but would like your opinion before proceeding. The best rated solution for this is Tapatalk (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=206782). It's available for BlackBerry, Android, iPhone, and Nokia but the downside is that it costs $3 in the app stores. There are some other free solutions for you guys, but they're limited to mostly iPhone and not near as highly tested and rated. You can see a video of Tapatalk quickly reviewed here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWnkYF72nLE). Thoughts?

We hope everyone is enjoying the upgrade and please share your feedback! :D

zombiphobe
02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Aaron,

Thanks for working so hard on the message board upgrades. I saw what MovieRelics; was talking about. It was on the forum home page at the bottom where it mentions the most recent new user. It was an email address before, but I just checked and now it is just a username. So I'm not sure if someone maybe just signed up with there email address as their username or something, or if it just got fixed.

Thanks,

hauntworldadmin
02-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks zombiphobe; - I checked the user list and indeed someone used their email address for the username.

Also - we just got the Pro version of UserTags. Getting that installed now so the ugly markup can be removed from the posts!

Karl Fields
02-17-2011, 10:31 PM
In the last several hours something weird happened (at least in my side). All of the subjects show in bold, which used to signify unread posts. Reading the posts or marking the Forum, or All Forums, as read is having no bearing on the boldness. Is there something I am missing? Tried on Chrome and IE7.

Nice new spell checker :)

hauntworldadmin
02-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Pro version installed - tagging can now be done with a simple prepended '@' and the markup will not show in the actual post.

i.e.:
hauntworldadmin

brad
02-17-2011, 10:37 PM
A.J.
Please read my post and share with me where I said it was a top secret site?

For you, I'll break it down a bit more. This is where we as haunters come to talk shop, discuss our issues and concerns, many of which involve issues with the public. For example, there are threads on here that essentially makes fun of our guests and their reactions, or how stupid some things they say are, or other issues might be tricks of the trade on how we can get every dollar out of them, and so on. I doubt the major theme parks would let the general public "sit in" on their meetings. Am I right? I know it's a public forum, but the people who seek it out are those interested in the industry on a higher level than just being a guest. When you put it out there for all to see and invite them in, they will see us in a different light and that's not always a good thing.[QUOTE]

I fully agree on this. Yes, it is not a top secret site, but mainly the industry insiders know it is here. The general public could have access to reading our info, but how many usual customers know about this forum?
We can't let the general public know about this thru any kind of facebook linking.

DA

hauntworldadmin
02-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Incorrect boldness of thread titles has been fixed - thanks Karl Fields.

zombiphobe
02-17-2011, 11:35 PM
guys the facebook thing really is not a big deal to me. I don't think it would attract more regular customers to regularly follow the forums even if facebook was connected but I certainly could be wrong. At any rate, I deleted the posts because this thread should be about Aaron getting stuff done. Not arguments about to include facebook or not.

Front Yard Fright
02-18-2011, 12:22 AM
The white font looks MUCH better!

I'm sure you are still probably tinkering with things, but I just visited a member profile and all of the fields were orange! I suggest turning them to the original gray used throughout the site.

Other than that, things look great!
:D.

Haunted Farm
02-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Larry,
Unable to change pic and info in profile.
Thx,
Kim:-(

Darkangel
02-18-2011, 06:58 AM
A J why did you delete it this thread asked us what we thought of the new forum and this topic seems to be a point of interest. Thanks Brad for posting your opinion. I work at a haunt, you also don't own a haunt, but Brad does own one so as an owner his opinion probably means more than ours.

I think anyone can choose to share whatever they want to and can have 100% transparency if they choose but in my opinion sharing everything you're doing not only invites the public in and could potentially create competition for yourself but it also gives your competition an inside look what you're working on and time to counter it.

For example, Imagine you start posting this coolest new costume you are working on to set you apart from your competition. It's a huge project and expense and your FB friends love it and can't wait to see it. Then you find out one of your "friends" on FB was using those pics and created a costume that blows yours away? That would suck and you'd have no one to blame but yourself. It's an example, maybe not a great one but it could apply to anything you're doing.

Inviting people in to see everything might keep friends interested but there is also something to be said for using your website launch alone like we always have done to show what's new just before the season kicks off. The suspense in waiting to see what is new and what they can expect is great reason for them to cone back to your website at a time when it really matter, when it's tine to actually buy tickets.

Also, wouldn't Facebook friends be people who already know about you? The idea is to get new business so you can grow Facebook friends are people who have already visited or like minded people...

DA

hauntworldadmin
02-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Haunted Farm - issues with modifying avatar and profile information have been resolved.

We are still working on converting all the color schemes over.

devolino
02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I agree with others. Get rid of the gray text. It sucks. Please lose or thin down the orange bars. I also agree about burning your retina. Espesscially when im up late on H.W at 3 am. Sitting in the dark. And a phone app would be nice. Also dress up the top banner when you get a chance. It looks too plain. Maybe add facebook with a password for serious users. Its getting bad enough with newbies like Catie and Devon! LOL! Love you guys! Ha! Other than that everything is great!
Thanks
Damon

Thanks
Damon

lol thanks damon. -___- :|

---------

I think that the 3 dollar app sounds better than the iPhone-only less tested one.

---------

I agree with Allen's photo gallery suggestion. It'd be entertaining for us to have more pictures up.

---------

For the tagging people in posts thing, is there any way to have a drop down menu of names like Facebook does? Because right now if you typo'd their name, wouldn't the tag not work/make it useless to have done it?

---------

As far as the Facebook thing, though....maybe let them be connected but let there be a "member only" and "public" option for the visibility of the thread or something? So that every single person/potential customer that stumbles across this website doesn't see everything. That's kind of a compromise between everyone, do you guys think?

---------

No more quick reply option :cry:

I really like how it looks now, though. haha :D

Karl Fields
02-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Used to be able to see statistics like threads started and posts entered by user. Don't see that anymore.

hauntworldadmin
02-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Tapatalk is installed and working - this post is coming from their app on my mobile phone!

Search for Tapatalk in your app catalog or go to http://www.tapatalk.com/mobile.php

I believe iPhone, Android, and WebOS versions are $3. Blackberry and Nokia are currently free.

More fixes and new features to be posted soon...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

hauntworldadmin
02-19-2011, 02:46 AM
We have a full featured chat app installed - it's available through the 'Chat' link on the top navigation bar. If you are not able to load it right away, give it 24 hours. We made some server changes (DNS propagation) which will take a bit of time to fully sync up.

As mentioned earlier, the forum is now Tapatalk enabled so load up those mobile apps.

Facebook connect has been enabled but it's purely for the purpose of single-sign-on. It doesn't auto-post any details to your Facebook wall.

If you do wish to share a thread with the world (via Facebook, Twitter, Digg, Email, etc), you can do so using the Share/Save plugin at the top left of the thread toolbar. You can also Facebook Like a thread using the Like button at the top right.

The next major plugin will be a full featured photo album. Several bug/theme fixes previously mentioned will be addressed too.

What's the opinion on the Quick Reply feature? It can be enabled again if it's preferred.

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming!