PDA

View Full Version : Lighting advice

SCfearfarm
02-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase or at least get an idea of what I am going to purchase for my lighting at the show. I wanted to know some advice from you guys on what type/color light you use for certain situations. For instance, you may want a mini spot to highlight a prop or picture on the wall, but you may want a flood to be in the graveyard. What colors have you found go well with certain rooms or areas and what types of lights have you used to set a better mood. Thanks for your help, as I am still trying to figure out which style and colors I need to be looking for.

Allen H
02-20-2011, 11:52 PM
This is a huge question and everyone has their own opinions, it isint a simple answer so Im afraid you may not get to many responses, I will do what I can for you.
please email me and I will send you a word doc i made a while back on making your own Led lights. I cant post it here and I cant attach it to a PM, so you need to email me. at stiltbeast@gmail.com

" I wanted to know some advice from you guys on what type/color light you use for certain situations."
In halls I like a few minispots to lead the way- people tend to follow the light. In a set you need a key light that lights the scene- its nice to work that into the set, a lamp or light fixture, lantern,a TV set to a snow channel, the light from inside of a curio cabinet or something that is supposed to produce light. Its rare you buy this light at a tradeshow. This type of lighting keeps you from using the metal cone shaped flood lights with the colored 25watt bulb in them that kill the look of your set. I love to find lights that move a bit to add action to the scene. these lights are easy to find for childrens rooms, but harder to incorperate into other sets, flame flicker is good for this as is the TV set. Mechanically moving a Key light is another option.
In the same set Minispots can be used to spotlight a certain item or prop (often to draw attention away from the scare), I also love to put mini spots behind things that will make them cast shadows on the set like cob webbs or behind false windows.
A flood is normally used for mood, with those stick to cool colors blue, green, and purple. I like to put these as far away as possible so they tait the area as opposed to light it, the lighting of the area is done by the key light and the spots.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any specific questions I did not answer above,
Allen H

Nightgore
02-21-2011, 12:41 AM
I totally agree with Allen, every single person is going to have a different idea on this, so here's mine:

First, there are two types of light we use in our haunts, they are practical and ambient. Practical lighting is anything that is, well, practical. For instance... a old dusty lamp post in a graveyard, lightning, desk lamps, etc. etc. Anything that you would actually find in that environment. Also, practical lighting is any lighting you would use in the haunt to forward an effect. This could be misdirective lighting, spot lighting, etc.

Ambient lighting is the more creative end of it all. This is the blues, purples and green found in the overall graveyard lighting...or the intense strobes of an asylum or chaotic scene. These are the lights that create the mood and overall look of the haunts and scenes.

When it comes to using companies for lighting, or specific items, we've found:

-Minispotlight.com: Highlighting small details, props, misdirections and practical lighting.
-Darklight: We've found them to have a very large "throw" for a small light. So we'll use them to light scenes and larger props.
-LED Pars: Overall scenic lighting, facade lighting.

Hope this helps! I've attached some pictures of some lighting we do!

-Tyler

thrilltainment
03-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase or at least get an idea of what I am going to purchase for my lighting at the show. I wanted to know some advice from you guys on what type/color light you use for certain situations. For instance, you may want a mini spot to highlight a prop or picture on the wall, but you may want a flood to be in the graveyard. What colors have you found go well with certain rooms or areas and what types of lights have you used to set a better mood. Thanks for your help, as I am still trying to figure out which style and colors I need to be looking for.

SCfearfarm,

Lighting is what can make or break your scene so I'm glad you're looking into it. LEDs are the way to go for several reasons: firstly, safety --- LEDs don't generate much heat and many run on low voltage like 12V (your fire marshal will give you a much easier time with LEDs). They also come in a variety of colors, including UV. The very nature of LEDs make them a better directional light than traditional incandescent bulbs --- haunted houses would tend to use more directional lighting so there are more shadows for props and actors to hide in.

Bert from Minispotlight.com started selling his single LEDs in a metal tube "mini spotlights" first --- these are good concentrated lights for highlighting one prop at a time or for lighting up pathways for the customers to see. He's got a good tried and true product that many haunters swear by. Bert also make some really cool LED products that disguise as traditional lights, I remember seeing a flickering fluorescent tube that's actually full of LEDs but can fit in the same socket as the original florescent light: great for scary hospital scenes and morgues, etc... <--- this is a good example of "practical lighting" that Nightgore mentioned.

Our company, Darklight, offers some similar solutions but more towards the brighter range of haunted house lighting. Our Precision X is similar to Bert's original mini spotlights (with a few added features for ease of use and durability), our Precision Y is more of a small flood that gives a nice uniform glow to a small room or scene, these lights blend very well together. Lastly, what many people tend to buy from us are our Precision Z Hi Power Spotlights, they project a very bright focused beam and can replace traditional par-cans, people use these lights on facades, outdoors, or even places with a lot of existing light. We also focus on controllable lights that can change brightness and color via DMX.

If you're coming to Transworld, I strongly urge you to check out the interactive haunted house they are building on the show floor. Both Bert's mini spotlights and our Precision Lights will be illuminating the scenes in there --- I think you'll be able to get some good ideas on how different lights will affect your scene.

also, I have a basic tutorial on LED lighting here: Safe Lighting for Haunted Houses (http://www.e5design.com/Safe_Lighting_for_Haunts.pdf)

hope this helps, cheers.

Quan

piercemanor
03-07-2011, 10:33 AM
The attraction I work at, Arx Mortis uses a mixture, for example, in the clinic we use a normal lighting system that are on the ceiling, these are also hooked up to a LIGHTS ALIVE FIREFLY to give the illusion of power surges and other things. The living quarters or mansion is ultimately low voltage with small lamps which we re-wired wisth small, more dim bulbs. in the mineshaft, we used lanterns and used the same technique with these as we did with the low voltage in the mansion. the only lighting we used in the cave and graveyard ares were LED spotlights, and they really gave the cave a cool feeling, you have to use the right colors for certain sections and i would ask around about that. I wish that we had the money to re-wire he entire mansion and just replace them with the spotlights.
Hope this helps! -Tristin