PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster closing in my city

SCfearfarm
03-28-2011, 07:43 PM
With Netflix and RedBox getting so popular, the Blockbuster in my city has finally bit the dust. They started selling their movies for 6.99 a piece and each week they have dropped and tonight I just bought 25 movies for 99 cents each. Everyone was roaming through them looking for comedy and kids movies and I found 25 horror movies, most of which I have not seen! Hopefully I will see some cool stuff.....I just wrote this to tell you all that if the Blockbuster closes near you (if it hasnt already), wait a couple of weeks and get some great deals! Even if they suck you can just throw them away or give them to somebody else to waste 2 hours. I got everything from stephen king classics to newer movies. You can't even hardly burn one for 99 cents!

thrilltainment
03-28-2011, 08:47 PM
With Netflix and RedBox getting so popular, the Blockbuster in my city has finally bit the dust. They started selling their movies for 6.99 a piece and each week they have dropped and tonight I just bought 25 movies for 99 cents each. Everyone was roaming through them looking for comedy and kids movies and I found 25 horror movies, most of which I have not seen! Hopefully I will see some cool stuff.....I just wrote this to tell you all that if the Blockbuster closes near you (if it hasnt already), wait a couple of weeks and get some great deals! Even if they suck you can just throw them away or give them to somebody else to waste 2 hours. I got everything from stephen king classics to newer movies. You can't even hardly burn one for 99 cents!

ya the one close to me is closing as well ---- instead of movies, I went in to buy these movie divider cards --- it's got the DVD cover printed on some high quality cardboard --- they were selling 20 of these for $1 so I bought about 200 of these cards and plan to tile them up all over my room with these mini movie posters =)

Front Yard Fright
03-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Seems to be a nation wide thing... The few in our area have shut down and I noticed a few on our trip to and from Transworld. With the internet and Redbox... There's no need for a brick and motor store...

drfrightner
03-29-2011, 12:21 AM
They are closing here as well... tons of them. I need to stop by and see what they have.

I think its a combination of things but one thing for sure is how they abused people on late fees.

Oh well... Larry

Jolly Pumpkin
03-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Even though Red Box's selection isn't great, they're everywhere and only charge you $1.07 a night which you can't beat. In the last 3 days I rented 4 movies and got 2 free with promo codes and didn't have to deal with trying to find movies at a large store. I just reserved it online and picked it up. You can't beat the convenience. But, I do miss the experience of going to a videostore. I'm having a hard time finding a videostore near my house. It's kind of sad.

RJ Productions
03-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Yeah, it's definately a mixed bag. Redbox and Netflicks sure is convienant, but there was something about being able to roam around the store and find titles you missed or had never heard about. Selection for any kind of impulse rental is gone.

We had Blockbuster as a sponsor for years. We saw the writing on the wall and it was called Redbox. First they had to drop their advertising which way our cross promotion. We carried them just as a coupon outlet but then it just became non-productive. Shame. Does this mean if Redbox starts carrying Larry's DVD's, haunts are the next ones to go!!! Why buy a ticket, just rent the DVD !!! Thanks Larry!!!!!

hauntedkimmy
03-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Ours closing as well, but we also have Blockbuster's version of a Redbox in the area. Wonder if they are switching to sales that way or just closing all together?

DarkTikiEntertainment
03-30-2011, 03:22 AM
What's annoying is that Red Box will probably raise their prices now.

mindtumor
03-30-2011, 08:16 AM
It was like 5 dollars to rent from the blockbuster next to me. I wasn't sure how they ever survived considering we had other rental places aside from the Redboxes that only charged $1 per rental.

poison
03-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Blockbusters has always been a rip off!
Netflix is the new future.
Soon everything will stream right into your TV.
It's already happening now with Roku, Netflix.
Yo can pick form 1000 of Movies, TV, or Documentary's.
No one will have the need to own any DVD anymore.
You will be able to watch any movie anytime you want.
The only thing you will need is an internet connection.