PDA

View Full Version : Disturbia Robbed!

graystone
04-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Ok this might be better. Several already know and it's hard to answer the phone with this and everything else that's going on. Ok run down sometime between Saturday night and last night ( Wednesday) a group broke into Disturbia looks like a total of around $100,000.00 of missing items and damage! Whoever it was was smart enough to go to the maintenance room which is located on the left hand side of the building on the outside. They cut the locks off and cut the main to the building's power cutting off the alarm ect again they knew how to do this. Anyway still taking inventory and will know more as I find out! Thanks for the calls and sorry for the slow phone calls back just alot going on! Shane and it's I HATE A SORRY ASS THIEF! Shane

Badger
04-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Wow, simply wow. I hope those scumbags are caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It absolutely sickens me when people break into haunts and either steal or vandalize. Here's hoping you get back most if not all your things...

zombiphobe
04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
That is just not even called for. I hope they catch them ASAP. All the hard work you've done and it comes crashing down cause of some punks.

screamforadream
04-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Holy crap!! That is awful! They may have been smart enough to cut the alarm, but dumb enough to take THAT much! They can't sell it, it's too much and obvious where it came from, they can't use it, it'll be obvious where it came from, and by knowing where all that stuff is, it greatly narrowed down the list of possible suspects. That is so messed up and should not happen to anyone, anywhere, for ANY reason! I believe you'll catch the bastards and put them behind bars for a LONGGGG time!!

screamforadream
04-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Wait! Aren't you next to a radio station and news station?? They must have security cameras that bleed into your area or the street around your area. Talk to them?? Maybe they can get a truck or a person??

BruiseMuse
04-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Shane; I hope they catch the scumbags that did this.

wickedfarmer
04-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Crystal ball tells me there will be burnt corpses that look and smell so real this fall hanging outside Disturbia.

HauntedPaws
04-07-2011, 08:35 PM
See if your insurance will cover installation of battery backup cameras? I hope you have insurance on the property too. I would start calling the haunt conventions coming up to put a APB out on your items.

RJ Productions
04-07-2011, 08:40 PM
The smart thing would be to get an itemized list as soon as possible. There would be thousands of "eyes" watching for people trying to unload the props...or a new haunt opens with all the same stuff!!! It's not exactly stuff you just pawn or post on Craigslist.

Remember thousands of eyes.....

Sorry Shane!

Nightgore
04-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Shane,

I'm so sorry to hear about this! It's events like this that really pushes how much security we need in our haunts. I agree, an itemized list is a must! Also, I would get a 24/7 monitored security with: door censors, motion detection, audio surveillance, etc. We have all that, anytime there's the SLIGHTEST change in power, I get a call about it! So, if your power went out...and your paid up on the bill and there's NO storms...then you know it's been CUT!!

Hopefully, nothing was taken to prevent the haunt from opening! I'm here for you buddy! -Tyler

damon carson
04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
This is really bad! And your haunt was looking so good! I hope you find the little bastards and they are punished to the fullest! I think time well tell and show who did this. And they will pay for there actions.
Take care Shane.
Damon

Front Yard Fright
04-07-2011, 08:58 PM
So sorry to hear Shane.
:(

Hope you're able to find the guys and recover everything... Keep us posted.

Dman
04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Shane,

That really sucks, we had our storage robbed a few years ago and the dirtbags stole a bunch of totes that we had the controllers in as well as the large inventory I had saved of vintage Star Wars toys. I hope you are adequately covered with insurance, take your time when putting together the list of items for the insurance. The best thing is to sit down with your crew and check out photos and invoices, this way you don't forget important items that you might not be able to claim later.

I wish you luck in catching the scum that robbed you.

Dan Augusto
Owner Tombstone Productions

Grimley
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Get us a list of what was missing. I'm sure everyone will help you monitor ebay and craigslist. For the type of stuff the took you can probably bet they will try and get rid of it there.

jakprintsHAUNT
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM
This is horrible...why do people have to do things like this? Im sorry to hear about this. Good luck catching these thieves!

Mike "Pogo" Hach

poison
04-07-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm very Sorry to hear of this Shane.
My mouth hit the ground as read your post.

NightmareOnYourStreet
04-07-2011, 10:57 PM
That is just rediculous. It makes me want to drive up to huntsville and find these low life losers to get your stuff back.

Jim Warfield
04-08-2011, 12:01 AM
I saw in an old war movie....it's the invasion beach... the attacking force crawls up quietly... they snip the barbed wire which makes a beeper begin beeping and a small red light flashing.....the troops in the beachfront bunker are now cocking, aiming their tripod mounted heavy machine guns at the attacking force and the gun rips them apart! (Or rather the bullets do)
There. All Done!
Maybe they were just trying to have a nice picnic on the beach? Maybe a few scoops of sand for the litter box back home? Doesn't matter! My Beach! Stay away or be suffering the consequences!
We all pray they also recieved some nice new hernias and back problems from lifting too quickly or the wrong way.

sean
04-08-2011, 06:13 AM
DOUCHEBAGS!

Hope you catch 'em and more importantly, quick enough that you get your stuff back.

MDKing
04-08-2011, 06:33 AM
That really sucks! Sounds like it may have been an inside job? Many times it's your own staff or former staff that ends up doing things like this, sadly.

I hope you find them and when you do show them no leniency!

Allan

Scary Harry
04-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Allan you took the words right out of my mouth . Run down the employee list.

xxxdirk
04-08-2011, 11:56 AM
I am very sorry Shane. Like everyone says, hope you have luck getting your stuff back. Ron

graystone
04-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Well the good news is....... The haunt and all props ect seems fine!! Looks like they may have been to scared to go in. So no damage or anything there so no set backs on that. The bad news they took every bit of copper I think the building had!!!!!! The turned off the main and stripped the place of all the main copper lines. Police say that it was someone who knew what they were doing and it took several people several hours to pull a job off like that. So I am pretty sure it was someone I did not know. They said its going to take a few days to mid week to get power back on in the building. I also installed a new state of the art voice activated fire alarm to the tune of $30,000.00 that they trashed thinking it was the security system! They also stole every tool we had in the tool room we had a tool room to rival Sears Hardware! There may be some odd and ends but cant fully see everything till power is restored! But again the Haunt is intact so I was blessed. And yes I have Insurance LOL! Shane and it's Thanks for the concern everyone! Shane

screamforadream
04-08-2011, 01:33 PM
PHEW! Big sigh of relief there! Thank God for insurance!! At least they didn't touch your baby, copper and tools can be replaced with time and insurance, but nothing can replace the hard work and dedication that goes into a production as large as yours. Let's hope they catch the bastards!!

Bobby

RJ Productions
04-08-2011, 02:57 PM
This copper thief stuff REALLY pisses me off!!! I blame the recyclers! They take ANYTHING no questions asked!! There are reports of people turning in a GUARD RAIL fro scrap!!! Come on who legally owns a roadside guard rail????

If these guys show up with a bunch of wire that was obviously stripped from somewhere, you have to ask how did they get it??? Maybe require on a licensed contractor or if you are a homeowner a permit to show work being done that would account for you removing wire. Most times they are bringing in brand new wire that cost $3-4 a FOOT and turning it in for a couple cents a pound??????

If they can't get paid to "recycle" it, they have no reason to steal it to begin with!! We need to hold the recyclers accountable for receiving stolen property. It will cost Shane (or the landlord) THOUSANDS of dollars to replace a couple HUNDRED dollars of wire!!! Bastards!!!

wickedfarmer
04-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Farm groups have tired to get legislation through exactly like RJ Productions suggested. Farm drying systems and center pivot irrigation systems are hit all the time.

Wicked Farmer

graystone
04-08-2011, 04:29 PM
It will cost me the building is mine now! I agree its total BS! Again I have Insurance but damn! I was told homes, business were getting stripped in a matter of hours!!!!! Shane and it's they should stop buying it from the public! Shane

krazedklownkilla
04-08-2011, 05:16 PM
we will be on the look out

Darkblood
04-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Shane, as soon as I read the heading and your first post I was shocked!
The building I used to use for a haunt recently had 3 guys (one posing as the owner of the building) stripping copper and flooded the basement since they didn't know what they were doing...they got arrested, trying to do it during the day with power cords running from the building right in the middle of DOWNTOWN! Idiots!
Then a building we were going to look at a few days later had it happen overnight...all copper GONE...like a pro went in, stripped it, and got out.
This was a few weeks ago...both about 3 days apart.
This copper business is crazy!
I'm glad it appears you will still rock out this season!

Take care,
Kirk

lonewolfmage
04-08-2011, 09:22 PM
To Shane~

I know by reading your posts, ,obviously, you are a pro haunter as well as Xmas deco and easter deco,pro. and you have done ALOT for all of us in the Haunt Industry...

As far as the robbery you had happen .... I Have no words to say how much it sucks ...

I run a yard haunt in the "not best of areas" of Lockport,NY and we always have to be on the "look out" to maqke sure people domt "scrap" some of our things thqatwe leave out from season to season..

Granted, most of our most expensive stuff ( fog machines, strobes,flood lights etc ) are in bins and secured ...

But I always take a look out my back window of my house to make sure everything is stiill there ..

I do hpe you find out the culprits who robbed you and push iu to the fulest extent possible..

It's a good thing that none of your props were damaged ..

Replacing the copper wire .. .. depends on how you look at it .. might it have to be replaed ...if so .. then thats rthe "silver lining" if you look at it in an odd way .

Just my random thoughts at 11p Eastern Time ....

Lonewolf/Jeff

Jim Warfield
04-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Have a standby generater wired in to assume the load when power is lost and the feed-back from this just might lay the thief out on the floor quivvering!
I was told about a weekend robberry in which they cut the side out of the metal building, went in and stole every battery from every drill, saw, ex cetra.. so they could brew up their nasty "High" from the stuff in those expensive batterys.
It was a large job site with many tool boxes full of tools, all padlocked and thought to be secure.

freak 'n' stein
04-09-2011, 11:49 AM
What a bunch of crap! That lets you know people are watching you. Last season we got a deep freezer for one of our rooms and left it out back over night. The next day we took a look at it and someone had taken all the copper from it! Ridiculous. But at least the haunt wasn't damaged, as in your case!!!

elowther
04-09-2011, 06:47 PM
This is such bullshit! I can't stand to see someone work so hard for what they have and be ripped off. I am very sorry this happened to you Shane. If these crooks spent half as much time and energy working at a real job or business instead of stealing, maybe they would have second thoughts. I hope they are found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This copper stealing is getting way out of hand. One local haunt had all his copper stolen twice in one season. You're right Rich, the recyclers will take anything.

Thank God the haunt wasn't touched, that would have been so much worse. And at least it wasn't real close to opening day.

Good luck with the search for the criminals, replacement of your tools and copper.

Eric

Kelly Anderson
04-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Such a load of crap!! It amazes me just how low some people can be. Work hard, bust your butt, and take the risks to be successful as you've done just to have some loser that cant make a paycheck an honest way ripp you off. I can hardly express how crappy I feel to hear stuff like this happen......to anybody......

I did new construction HVAC work for several years and seen this kind of stuff a few times. Really makes a guy wonder just how much gray matter is between some people ears........apparently not much with certain people.

I know that recycling companies typically dont pay as much for copper if it is coated with the insullation. I have also heard that with large amounts of copper, if people dont want to take the time to strip all the insulation from the wire they have been known to burn it off. In Minnessota where Im from I had heard that the recyling company would give even less for copper that look like it had been burned and I believe for at least a certain amount of time they outright just wouldnt pay anything for burned copper.

Maybe wouldn't hurt to give the recyling companies in your area a call and just say to be on gaurd for people bringing in large amounts of copper that look like it may have been burned. Just a thought....

Definately sorry to hear this news Shane.

Raycliff Manor
04-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Wow Shane. Sorry to read this! We were robbed our 2nd year and I know how horrible it feels. I'm glad you're insurance is going to take care of the expense for the damages, but I know it's frustrating to have the time set-back. I know your team will rally and just be more determined than ever to push onward and upward! ;)

Kel

thrilltainment
04-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Shane, my condolences --- if it will help a bit, I can donate some lighting equipment, just PM me with your address.

chuck weber
04-11-2011, 02:59 PM
never heard if those guys got caught or not. Hope those bastards rot in hell for what they did !!!!!! this is terrible !!!!!

Bradenton Haunted Trail
04-11-2011, 07:39 PM
me and my partner caught 2 guys stealing a/c compressors of the sides of foreclosed houses just like 2 months ago. I agree about the scrap yards taking any thing the cops said they have stolen about 20 of thoes in the last couple of weeks you would think that 2 guys in a mini van cumming to the scrape yard every couple days with 3 or 4 of these would cause a little suspicion? But guess we just have common sense and the scrap yards don't care they should be held just as responsible as the crooks. if you are caught with stolen goods it is a crime so why cant the cops prosecute these scrap yard owners. I am a General Contractor and i have reason to scrap stuff and they have never asked me for my GC license.

Shawn
http://bradentonhauntedtrail.com

danglin
04-13-2011, 03:18 AM
Shane,
I am sorry to hear about this. Between vacations and work, I haven't been on the forum hardly at all since Transworld, and now I check in and see this. I can't stand a thief! Someone came by and stole our trash barrels a while back. Anything that people can scrap right now, they will steal.

It will be interesting to see if these people try to unload this stuff. Good luck my friend.

HauntedPaws
04-13-2011, 11:11 AM
That's common now least they were nice enough to turn the water off for you. Some of these crews will rip out a houses drywall and not bother with shutting off the water. Unfortunately they can move copper quite easily.