PDA

View Full Version : Who needs website design for their haunted house?

drfrightner
05-12-2011, 03:51 PM
We are in discussions right now with a group of companies to produce the best most advanced websites for haunt owners. You would get all kinds of awesome bells and whistles, seo work, awesome graphics, professional web hosting, web stats, everything... who needs this work done or is looking to upgrade over what you have now???

I'm trying to gauge interest in having this done for this season and beyond. Email me at darkrides@sbcglobal.net

Larry

drfrightner
05-12-2011, 06:28 PM
We would give you more ways to use, update, and promote your website than anyone out their currently plus simply the best graphics avail.

We are working on this now and I'm trying to see who all might want to get on a list to their website done, something that will blow away what others are doing and put your competition in the grave. LOL

Keep the emails coming.

Larry

Nightgore
05-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Have any examples? I don't think there's much too this, any "new, exciting technology" for web design...most of us already know about! SEO, is NOT hard...just time consuming. There's no "formulas" to it, you just have to know what you're doing.

Just saying. Would love to see an example! -Tyler

drfrightner
05-12-2011, 06:42 PM
We are going to put up an entire website so you can test them and check it out. Don't have it up yet but it will go up very soon... we plan on getting into the website business to help haunted houses create better website they can use to promote their business.

Right now my goal is to find a list of people who might be looking for website work. The website will be going up soon. Keep the emails coming!

Larry

drfrightner
05-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Yes we will be taking these websites to a new level... I think you are wrong on a lot you said. It is good to work with someone within the industry who has proven themselves successful and now wants to help pass along that to your business. The best business move you'll ever make is to get over your competition on the web... trust me on that one.

I know the secrets, I've been working on this for a year, and I'm going to HELP YOU become MORE successful, MAKE more money, SELL more tickets, GAIN more traffic to your website than EVER before.

If you dont' believe me then let your competition hire our new group and you'll find out the hard way! LOL

We can't build a ton of sites this year our goal is to get things established and go hard and heavy in 2012. However we are lookign for clients who want to get the edge over other haunts in their market NOW!

Larry

HauntedPaws
05-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Having made a few websites I would be interested in the cost vs bells and whistles. Having an extensive IT background none of the sites I've seen here so far be them great aren't technically that difficult to reproduce. Most of the cost is in the graphics.

If only I could get Larry to write me back about my haunt questions though.:(

NightmareAftershockLLC
05-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Alright Larry,

Let's play along for a minute that you are going to produce amazing results. How? SinisterVisions, Rogues Hollow, Brainstorm Studios, and RedCrowDesign, to name a few, have this industry locked down with amazing graphics, and offer a wide variety of websites, depending upon budget.

What will make YOUR websites better? Why are YOUR graphics any better than theirs?

I am ALL ears on this one, and want to know WHY you will be better. Saying "blowing the competition out of the water." HOW?

Also, you need a way to GET the patrons to the site. HOW do you intend on that? Will this supposed "mind bending" web company also do physical print design, ticket design, radio ads, tv commercial production? If so, WHY are we going to pay YOU to do them, instead of a brick and mortar video production company? Will you travel to MY haunt to take video, produce it, and then get it on the air for me, without costing me an arm and a leg?

See, that is the key here. You are going to intrude into these web-design companies' territory, and they will undercut you on costs, and still deliver amazing product.

Lets here how it will be GOOD for us, instead of using "marketing" lingo.

spookjj
05-14-2011, 11:13 AM
I trust Larry to produce good results, but, since this is a new venture at this point with no products, have to wait and see. We'll need a site within a year so I'm hoping this can fill my need at decent price point. The problem is if you template, all the sites will have the same feel and touch, who wants their website to be like the others? Will uniqueness among sites be a premium? The general public won't know if your site looks like Joe's in Texas, so maybe it might work, just thinking out loud. Honestly, if the site kicks butt and is like Joe's in Texas and it will save me 1k, I'm in for it... again my local customers will never know...

spookjj
05-14-2011, 11:24 AM
We should do a poll, what should be the dollar amount for a great website? 800, 1k, 2k, 3k? I'd pay $1k-1200 at the most, even though I work in IT (like haunted paws :) and can do php, SEO...etc I'd rather build props and have too many other projects going on and building a website is to time consuming for me at this time. I wonder what Larry thinks he can get for "great site" ? lol, bc his pockets are usually much deeper. Again, maybe do 5 killer templates and keep it cheaper rather than doing individual customized sites, general public won't know the difference...

HauntedPaws
05-14-2011, 11:30 AM
We should do a poll, what should be the dollar amount for a great website? 800, 1k, 2k, 3k? I'd pay $1k-1200 at the most, even though I work in IT (like haunted paws :) and can do php, SEO...etc I'd rather build props and have too many other projects going on and building a website is to time consuming for me at this time. I wonder what Larry thinks he can get for "great site" ? lol, bc his pockets are usually much deeper. Again, maybe do 5 killer templates and keep it cheaper rather than doing individual customized sites, general public won't know the difference...

Anywhere over $1,500 is to much and that's with all the bells and whistles. I also like having creative control, so if it's one of 5 templates I don't think I would go that route.

spookjj
05-14-2011, 11:45 AM
If the template is awesome and you could customize it later yourself, as long as no other haunt in your area is using the same template why not go for it. Especially, if you could get it for like $5-800 which a template would have to be bc it's not yet fully customized, hence cheaper.

drfrightner
05-14-2011, 12:48 PM
How much do you think Disney spent for the new Pirates websites, or Marvel spent for the new Thor website, or any movie spent for their whatever new movie coming out. They'll build these websites a year or more in advance and promote them all year around. You know its a good discussion here aside from who builds your website, because I've heard or seen people say $500.00 not more than $3000.00 or whatever.

First and formost we are going to offer websites for all different prices but the exact cost is yet to be determined. However what would I spend on a website as cool as the one for say Batman or something... if some guy came to me and said I could build you the ultimate website something as good as the last batman movie with stuff like clues for opening safes or this or that... how much would I spend? If the guy said 10k I wouldn't blink, if he said 20k it would have to be very very very cool and cutting edge.

I'd love to have a website that people kept coming back to over and over again even after they've visited my haunted house ... look anyone who thinks there should be a limit to what you should spend for a logo, a website, graphics, or something that promote your haunted house in my book is not trying to acheive greatness.

How can you spend 10, 20 or 30k on animations or something and $500 on your website that is simply crazy. How do you expect to pay for all those animations or improvements to your haunt, how do you plan to stay in business, how in the World will you ever pay for your kids college or whatever? You do it from having kick ass slick videos on youtube, awesome and very professional photos, great website with tons of information, good sponsors, in the end great word of mouth, but above all else great marketing which includes and most important having the ability to drive a lot of traffic to your website.

I'll say it 2 million times those who don't believe in internet marketing, specifically ads on our website or others are not going for the gold. And haunts that complain and cry about how one haunt or another is better than them because they do more people blah, blah whatever should only blame themselves. The key to having a great haunted house, starts first and foremost with marketing, websites, graphics, photos, and more... NOT with a great haunted house.

You could build hype for a haunted house without even having a location, or one prop bought.

You could have everyone in town wanting to visit your haunted house and yet you have no haunted house, all based strictly on your website, and driving traffic to it, and once they visit they see something that really puts you ahead of the pack ...

Look people no longer just listen to your radio commerical and boom head off to your haunt... doesn't work that way. It now starts with peopel doing research on the web, more often now using sites like Hauntworld.com or even facebook or whatever to find out what are all the options, what did people rate them or rank them, and then they make a choice.

Your website is CRITITCAL its the MOST important piece of the puzzle if you want to create more business for the haunt... yes in the end you must have a great haunted house to match it but your website shoudl be better than your haunted house ever could be... when you can acheive this you will find yourself in the situation where you can spend more money on the event, you can quit a real job and focus yourself on your haunt year around, you will find the ability to buy that corvette you always wanted or pay for your kids to go to college, or pay off your house, adn support your family.

It starts with a website.

Larry

wickedfarmer
05-14-2011, 06:38 PM
The key to having a great haunted house, starts first and foremost with marketing, websites, graphics, photos, and more... NOT with a great haunted house.

Around me people have fallen too many times for the above idea...and get very upset finding out they have been duped. I'll cut some slack here saying probably you have not shown people a poor time...or the exact same thing 2 years in a row. I will flat out say I probably hands down have the biggest loser of a website of anyone posting on hear and was going to email saying I am interested. But with the above comment...I am still interested...but fading.

Wicked Farmer

drfrightner
05-15-2011, 12:49 AM
You know if I was giving a seminar about how to create, build, operate and become the top dog haunted house in your market you would understand everything I was saying before you left the room... when you type back and forth on a message board its hard to understand everything being said.

I will say again, you can build more hype of an event be it a haunted house, a movie, a tradeshow, or something Shane is doing (LOL) without even having an event. When you bought a ticket to Shanes party just as an example you didn't know for sure there would even be an event, you didn't know you would win anything, you didn't know if it would be fun, or it would be worth anything... you bought a ticket anyway. Shane did a good job promoting his event...

When Transworld first did their haunt only show no one knew for sure if it would work, listen to all the doubters saying our industry wasn't big enough, people predicted disaster, and everything else. TW and many others kept the promotion machine rolling and boom there ya go.

The bottom line is all movies get hyped up to the bone, some movies show you the best scenes and you get excited buy a ticket and well the movie sucked to high heaven. What I'm saying is first and foremost you need a great website, content on the website, you need awesome PR, and marketing first and foremost in front of anything you must have the above.

You can hire the best actors, best director, best everything and without hype, pr, marketing, that movie loses millions. Before you see a product, before you buy a ticket, before you become interested in ANYTHING there is HYPE, PROMOTION, MARKETING, and if its good you'll have lines around the building now in the end do you have a good product?

If you do you will continue to roll, if you don't you could still do great for a while...

Now in some of your guys case you have great haunts but horrid marketing and well you don't make the money you want, you don't see the attendance and I hear you moan all the time about how that haunt sucks, yours is better, your haunt gets better reviews, blah, blah, blah... well the difference is that haunt that kicks your butt is the haunt ran by the guy who understands how to run a business better than you first and foremost...

You understand haunting they understand business... you will lose 9 times out of 10 because eventually the guy who understands business who is making 5 to 1 more money than you will hire someone to improve the product and will spend more money than you 3 to 1 every year on everything and eventually leave you in the dust.

Understand business first, then let your passion take you to places you never knew you could achieve. Why is Netherworld so successful? Ben is the haunt guy who loves everything haunted, and Billy loves the business and marketing side, its a perfect match... they put an equal amount of money into promotion of their brand as they do the haunt itself... in the end they are equal where as with most haunts out there is lopsided and that is why you miss the boat.

How do I roll... you can figure that one out. I blow away everyone in town in both sides of the fence not just one, I have a great show and I have great marketing... what do you guys have one or the other and let me guess you have a great haunt with horrible marketing. Time to re-invest in the business side and then you'll have money for the show and the haunt. Its a unique concept I know ... LOL

In the end WE will HELP you with the business side with building the best websites that actually help your business GROW!

Larry

Jolly Pumpkin
05-15-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't get it. It's not hard to understand people. The first impression new customers have of your haunt is your website. If your website looks crappy, they're going to think the same of your haunt. If you didn't put much time into your website, then why would they think you put a lot of time into your haunt. If you don't promote your haunt through haunt directories, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Festivals, Parades, Flyers, billboards, events etc then how are people supposed to know anything about your haunt? The haunt that invested a couple hours into their event is going to get a lot more customers than your incredible creation because they marketed their event a lot better. But sometimes if a haunt is in a small town where there's little to no competition, then people have little choice, but to go to their haunt and it's likely that the haunt will have big crowds. But with good marketing they could have much larger crowds.

wickedfarmer
05-15-2011, 01:32 PM
I was pretty sure you meant; the way you expanded on. But Ronald Reagen said it best..."Trust; but verify".

Think you saw I fully admit my website is lamest of anyone posting. But I am crazy to not capitalise on kick butt website. Then again I am crazy like a fox as well. Totally hear you on "run a business" too many do not. I'm crazy enough to limit hours of haunt and shut down ticket sales by 10:30..11:00 tops; pace customers for best experience, shut down by midnight and onto other business of farming rest of night during harvest. Would be able to increase customer throughput now so website improvement is one of next things on top of all the guerilla marketing I do. If halloween was a August event instead of October; I would had better website years ago. Then again if it never quits raining this spring I will have several hundred acres less to harvest this fall and could run haunt till industry standard hours. Running a haunt is much less stressful and more fun anyway. If we do end up getting everything planted I think this fall will be like 2009 when we had to run the corn dryer 24/7 becasue of cool/short growing season and crop never dried down. Those nights customers thought my Mtn. Dew IV was part of some gruesome scene.

Wicked Farmer

wickedfarmer
05-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Jolly jumped in just before I replied.

Around me there is so much I hear over and over of how people were disgusted with hype in promotion...but lack of substance of haunts. People took on a 'Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me." attitude. To the point hype was starting to be a red flag for "that place must suck if they have to promote it so hard'. This is from exit polling. NOT so true with high schoolers... age 20 - 30 yes. My waiting line was long; had customers I wanted; and I need to shut down by midnight to keep farm rolling (and keep GREAT neighbors happy I have to live with all year long) Now I can capitalise on more people and website upgrade is in order.

Wicked Farmer

X-Treme Torment
05-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I would probably be interested because our website sucks right now and we are looking around at different companies to see what they all offer.

drfrightner
05-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I think most of you would agree with this... we don't just hype we deliver. Our haunted houses get the total attention they deserve we do our best on everything we try to do ... every single time. Sometimes your best isn't good enough and that should drive you to do better! It drives us!

At the same time you can't but crawlings spiders, and buy hard coat machines and everything between unless you are getting the attendance that drives your attraction.

I would never say that there aren't smart business people out there who have dumps for haunts but unreal marketing... hey they are trying to make money. Can you blame them? In the end you might have the better haunt but they have the better marketing, so why do you allow them to get away with it? If it bothers anyone that some haunt gets all the business while you have the great haunt DO SOMETHING!

Time to get moving... it starts with your website, then bleeds over to driving traffic to that website that is how you market your haunt there is no other way. DRIVE TRAFFIC TO A GREAT WEBSITE... how do you get that traffic? Doesn't matter just get it pay for it and then focus on having a great haunted house and you will win.

The haunt that can bring the hype and deliever will do the most business and build a brand that lasts a lifetime.

Larry

xtremecreator
05-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I thought posting your haunted house site on hauntworld.com was supposed to get me all the exsposure I needed?

John

drfrightner
05-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Banner ads on Hauntworld.com sent my website about 20,000 direct hits... I was talking to some other haunts who got more than that from Hauntworld.com ... everyone should have banners on Hauntworld and if you don't contact Patti today!!!

Outside of that I got traffic from all sorts of other sources and for me its not Hautnworld and nothing else... in fact I look at everything.

I'm working the SEO angle a lot, I will buy web advertisement from other sites not many but some, I promote my url on everything you can image from billboards, radio, TV, flyers, youtube, to everything between.

I have to hit up everything you can find. Some things work and some things don't... your local radio stations DO NOT work, local newspaper sites, and things of this nature are WORTHLESS based on what you pay for them.

Google ads work, but chase keywords you are not already strong with... things like facebook and myspace I've found do not work.

Blogging works, post lots of blogs on your website and make your website social media friendly that is our new thing. It works.

Larry

HauntedPaws
05-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Are you using FB correctly? You should have a landing page that's worth viewing #1. FB also allows you geographical targeting, plus your feeds pop up on a fan's page which other potential fans will see.

drfrightner
05-16-2011, 12:07 AM
FB I guess is facebook... I even read an article that said on facebook they have the lowest click through rates of any website. They have determined that people using facebook do not look at ads the way they would on other sites, they are there to network and socialize. It has the absolute worst click through rate... fortunatly they have the same style as google so if people don't click you dont' pay but you get very few click thoughs.

Larry

wickedfarmer
05-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Tried contacting about banner several times over last year. Just tried link to patti again and got failure notice.

Wicked Farmer
mark@bestmaze.com

MDKing
05-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Facebook is changing for the worse with all the ads they now sell. It used to be a few ads along one side now they are on both sides and bigger, even on the middle of pages and it's like the old myspace ads with "looking for local singles" and things like that.

Allan

Nightgore
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Allan,

I don't know how your Facebook is, but I only have ads in one spot...right side midway down.

Also if used correctly, social media will be the BIGGEST advertising you do. I will say this, even knowing it may get deleted, Facebook gave us more click throughs than Hauntworld.com AND HauntedHouse.com COMBINED!!! Just sayin...

-Tyler

drfrightner
05-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Couple things...

1) Contact Patti at this number 314 629 3940 or blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net If you want a banner ad contact her asap.

2) Tyler why would I delete your post... that is silly. Let me however clear up something for you however... you didn't get all those hits off of facebook because of your facebook page no no no... Yahoo, Google, Bing, AOL, Ask or whatever are all search engines right... well MySpace and Facebook also have search engines. When a site like facebook gets hundreds of millions of people visiting the site weekly you can trust people are using their site to find things and boom that is how you got most of that traffic I assure you. So while these people spend hours upon hours on the site they end up using the search feature that I'm positive is where a huge chunk of that traffic comes from.

However let me say this... Google was number one for me, then Yahoo, then Hauntworld.com, then Bing, then About.com and then Facebook.

However I'll bet you guys something, and this is a whole other subject but where did DIRECT hits rank on your site??? Direct traffic is a DIRECT result of how good you have built your brand in the market, how well you market your haunted house locally because my direct traffic is almost 50/50 with Google.

So if I am to put this another way ... Google is #1 and Scarefest.com is #2 or almost tied. This is very very important because if you can build up your traffic to a point where over 50% of your traffic comes to you directly then you are doing a great job in the market marketing your brand.

Secondly I would advice everyone that google analytics doesn't work 100% its a free program and unless you've embeded the codes on every page every single year many of you are only getting front page stats, talk to your hosting company and get a program called SMART STATS you pay for it but once installed on your server it moniters all pages accuratly.

Larry

Nightgore
05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
I'll agree...Google was our #1 as well. I think kids today are turning more to their social sites to find things to do instead of searching for it on something like Google, Bing, etc. Myspace is dead and it's NOT coming back.

I think so much credit is given to Facebook because not only does it provide, and provide well, it's also FREE! I think haunters are just now learning the importance of having a social site for their attraction, but at the same time I think they're ALL using it wrong. Oh well. Where other fail, others succeed! ;)

I also agree about the direct clicks/views. That's really the only thing we look at when we look at our web traffic!

-Tyler

MDKing
05-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Tyler,

Maybe it's a regional thing, but Facebook where I'm at it's in the middle of the page, each side and at the bottom. They just keep updating it so you hear it constantly clicking when ads change over. Maybe they're testing it here in the mid-Atlantic I don't know but it's happening.

Allan

HauntedPaws
05-16-2011, 02:47 PM
FB I guess is facebook... I even read an article that said on facebook they have the lowest click through rates of any website. They have determined that people using facebook do not look at ads the way they would on other sites, they are there to network and socialize. It has the absolute worst click through rate... fortunatly they have the same style as google so if people don't click you dont' pay but you get very few click thoughs.

Larry

Yeah FB is facebook, to much of a pain to type. =) Ad concept does suck! but the social aspect for the teen crowd is valuable. Getting them to intact is the key. Discussion,, contests, etc etc.. The more the traffic appears on their friends feeds the more people see ur brand and the more free traffic you get.

HauntedPaws
05-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Tyler,

Maybe it's a regional thing, but Facebook where I'm at it's in the middle of the page, each side and at the bottom. They just keep updating it so you hear it constantly clicking when ads change over. Maybe they're testing it here in the mid-Atlantic I don't know but it's happening.

Allan

Huh?? FB isn't regional.

tonguesandwich
05-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Social media is the strongest form of marketing passing word of mouth last year. If you are measuring by ad clicks you are missing the point. You need to tie more than just facebook into the mix... which BTY increases your PR of your site with your linking. Google loves loves twitter for SEO tied to FB and other social media for SEO and PR plus your biggest failure will come from your keyword failures. You are taking pieces of the pie and missing the whole picture. Have all the great graphics you want and make it as cool as you want but if no one see's it ...same as for your haunt. Cool doesn't always sell. Google does change and has hidden info not open to public on PR but it usually isn't to hard to figure out.
I would love to be a part of a program that offers something new to the net because I would flip it into my other business and make millions if not more. For those of you who are asking for templates or cookie cutter sites... that would be failure from the start unless you are going to direct your leads to it. Google hates those...... Your first objective should be what key word phrases are being search in your market. Then a domain.... then a site that captures data and has known sale generators..linking and back linking...then graphics. Just MHO...

wickedfarmer
05-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Devouring everything I read on hear is so much more enjoyable then walking a few hundred acres of wheat I saw today all full of disease & weeds since weather would not let me spray the last few weeks. You guys are a big pick me up.

Wicked weedy farmer

HauntedPaws
05-16-2011, 04:56 PM
turn that wicked into wicked green.

MDKing
05-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Hauntedpaws,

I think you are confused with Tyler and my discussion. I told him that on Facebook now there are ads all over the page, which is a new thing it seems. Tyler was not aware of the ads I see, so I suggested it may be a regional trial Facebook is doing, since I have ads all over my page and he does not...

Allan

drfrightner
05-17-2011, 12:35 AM
You know this has been a great discussion and actually I think other threads should get started to continue the discussion about more specific things needed to help your business... in the end that is really all that matters!

In the end we are going to help people finally get websites that give you the options to do what you need to do to drive more business to your attraction. As far as all these other issues, I think they are all great discussions. I'm more than willing to answer any questions or chime in on any of these other points being made.

In the end your website is everything to you... it should be your #1 prop, animation, its your #1 everything there is nothing more valuable you should own or put your time into makign better. When you think of renovation on your haunt think about your website first... just remember we'll be here to help you from now on.

Larry