PDA

View Full Version : New tutorial posted

Allen H
07-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Hey guys prop blood on the cheap, a great recipe for blood for sets and costumes on my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAmyAlj2FjU
subscribe if you like it!

spong8
07-07-2011, 07:43 AM
WEEEE! I have anxiously been awaiting this since the pelts tutorial. Which by the way is right up my alley because of how easy and cheaply it was made.

bylogic
07-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Great timing. We were researching blood formulas yesterday. Thanks for the post.

Haunted Prints (EOM)
07-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Allen, what's the link to your YouTube channel?

Nightgore
07-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Could same method be used with clear shellac? Then it'd more permanent to be used on costumes and outdoors! -Tyler

Allen H
07-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Joshua- here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/user/StiltbeastStudios?feature=mhee

Tyler- the clear shellac doesent take the tint very well, its an oil and water thing. And If I gave a recipe that completely replaced perma blood I wouldnt feel good about it, this way Kip still gets sales and I help stretch haunters dollars, that is a win win. Im not out to destroy anyones income, I dont think Kip is raping people- like silicone Im sure the base material is expensive and he just has to pass the cost along.
Allen H

lurker
07-08-2011, 06:51 AM
"perhaps I need more hobbies but that is exciting to me" lol Don't feel bad, I find it exciting too. The idea of the clear glue base alone is pretty exciting, but the gallon size is the cherry on top! And all the other things like snot, pus, etc you can use that clear glue to concoct!
We need help! lol

MindWerxKMG
07-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I use acrylic gloss medium as a base for my blood.

HauntedOzarks
07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
This is really great Allen! You are definitely one of the most innovative and generous haunters out there.

Allen H
07-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Mindwerx-
I tried that, i didnt like how much the color changed as it dried, and the $40 a gallon price tag before you add in the cost of tint. I also tried modge podge- same issues. Try the clear glue and see what you think, a gallon will set you back $10.

Dalloween
07-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I got to see Allen's samples last weekend at a live demo he did. I was amazed by how great the simple, inexpensive version looked. It looked good wet after being mixed, and even better dried on the board.

Twin Locusts
07-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks Allen, great tute.

Greg Chrise
07-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Now I see why there are no chip brushes to be had anywhere in Texas. I'm sitting at home still clapping when you whip out and present the various bottles.

Allen H
07-08-2011, 08:48 PM
I should've had a disclaimer...."No Brushes were harmed during the making of this film"
Here is where I get mine, best price in town...
http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-36-1-inch-industrial-grade-chip-brushes-4181.html
Allen H

Greg Chrise
07-08-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't know what button made this funny writing but, I just watched a bunch of the video you have and they are great. I especially love the one with the human pelt and getting busted by the wife, doing weird things on the fence in the driveway. Totally precious. I took the puppies out and was laughing out in the court yard like an idiot over that. Also sharing weirdness from the videos.

Greg Chrise
07-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the link to Harbor Freight. It might be worth me traveling and stocking up instead of racking up my bill at the paint company!

Greg Chrise
07-08-2011, 10:04 PM
I tend to clean even cheap brushes over and over and then go complain at the paint store that their paint screwed up a brush I have had since high school that has great sentimental value. Sometimes they hand me one. I also threaten to back charge employees for scrubbing a quarter inch off of the bristles from doing hundreds of feet of work.

Allen H
07-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Greg,
I need to get a t shirt made that says "I kill brushes". I used to save them, now i dont. If I use a brush I cleaned and had used for latex, then it would keep a batch of silicone from kicking. real bad chance of cross contamination and silicone is to expensive to risk it. Also every time you use them for silicone or fiberglass they are doomed anyway. For a long time i kept the wooden handles hoping I could find a use for them...I gave up.

Greg Chrise
07-09-2011, 09:44 PM
I can see the killing. We do a lot of acrylics and there are brushes that lives in a bucket of water with it's roller friend like fish. After they get rinsed they go in the fish tank rather than allow them to dry out even the slightest. The epoxies I just pour out and use the same drill over and over, paint stirrers that are free or popsicle sticks (something from my childhood). The clear coats also have a gallon can and the brushes are under clear coat for many jobs. Actually thousands of square feet. The artist brushes I have used over and over for at leat 20 years. Same air brushes for about that long.

I must say, you have rekindled the research scientist in me. Monday will be what kind of sand would you like in or on your clear coat day for a customer. Choose and chose well my customer. I already know what you need but apparently you wish to be experimented on. Fine. Smell the clear coat. Get it on your fingers and know I have been there for the rest of the day. No clean up thinner on a rag for you mister picky.

Shame the fuller brush man doesn't come knocking while you have your "I kill brushes" T-shirt on. Maybe there is a brush convention you could wander around at the entrance? Doing the thing with the eyes.

Greg Chrise
07-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Maybe the handles painted a dark color with a piece of plastic painted silver could look like you had gotten 80 stab wounds with the knives all there. Never mess with a Ginsu Salesman. Get 40 stab wounds, get the second 40 stab wounds for FREE!

James Wilson
07-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Awesome Tutorial, Allen! I was just talking to my monster making partner today at a cookout about figuring out a way to make something similar to perma-blood for one of our scenes. You saved me many research dollars that can be re-purposed as materials money. Thanks!

Trail of Terror
07-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Allen thanks for the information, it helps greatly when you cant afford 100.00 for blood... Please let us know how the Cheaper gallon glue does when you get it...

Thanks

Geoff

Allen H
07-10-2011, 07:48 PM
It did great I posted that in the comments of the video.

scarygoat
07-10-2011, 07:54 PM
I've tried the acrylic gloss stuff as well... it's very hard to get the color a deep enough red.

RJ Productions
07-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Good post Allen!!! It's great...you have a George Wallace attitude..."Always be thinkin'!!!".

Noticed the comments on using other bases and the inability to hold the tint color.
The clear glue base works well with the food coloring because they are both water based.
I think you even said with shellac it was an oil and water thing, which it exactly the problem.

A haunt friend also does furniture repair and restoration and he was saying if you use say a
shellac as base then you need lacquer based color. Sort of oil & oil, water & water!!

Krylon carries an industrial brand of paints that are laquer based. I had some brown and black
spray paint to use for furniture touch up and I sprayed the paint into some shellac I was coating
some rotten food props with and it seemed to hold the color well.

Since you're our "Haunt Myth Buster" here's something else to try!! Lacquer colors in resin or shellac
bases. If you can't find the lacquer based paint at your Lowes or Home Depot (I couldn't) they
are available through Grainger's.

Keep up the testing, I love the results!!!

I went out and bought the clear glue just to try a batch, seems like a good thing to keep in my
"Haunt First Aid Kit"!!

QUICK NOTE: I was at the dollar store and found Elmer's No Run School Glue GEL.

As a gel it has a thicker viscosity so you could use it where you want more "clotting"
or you don't want a run off, but more of a pooling.
It has a slight green tinge in the bottle, should have no effect on the tinting.
You may even be able to combine the two for a perfect "run" pattern!

See you keep US thinking!!! Something ELSE for you to play with!!

Thanks Allen!!!

Trail of Terror
07-12-2011, 04:28 PM
I was about to ask how to keep it from running off and clotting more.... I will try that.... Allen, I tried the clear glue and followed the steps and measurements and it work perfect today... just needed to stay in place a little better...

Thanks again,

Geoff

Good post Allen!!! It's great...you have a George Wallace attitude..."Always be thinkin'!!!".

Noticed the comments on using other bases and the inability to hold the tint color.
The clear glue base works well with the food coloring because they are both water based.
I think you even said with shellac it was an oil and water thing, which it exactly the problem.

A haunt friend also does furniture repair and restoration and he was saying if you use say a
shellac as base then you need lacquer based color. Sort of oil & oil, water & water!!

Krylon carries an industrial brand of paints that are laquer based. I had some brown and black
spray paint to use for furniture touch up and I sprayed the paint into some shellac I was coating
some rotten food props with and it seemed to hold the color well.

Since you're our "Haunt Myth Buster" here's something else to try!! Lacquer colors in resin or shellac
bases. If you can't find the lacquer based paint at your Lowes or Home Depot (I couldn't) they
are available through Grainger's.

Keep up the testing, I love the results!!!

I went out and bought the clear glue just to try a batch, seems like a good thing to keep in my
"Haunt First Aid Kit"!!

QUICK NOTE: I was at the dollar store and found Elmer's No Run School Glue GEL.

As a gel it has a thicker viscosity so you could use it where you want more "clotting"
or you don't want a run off, but more of a pooling.
It has a slight green tinge in the bottle, should have no effect on the tinting.
You may even be able to combine the two for a perfect "run" pattern!

See you keep US thinking!!! Something ELSE for you to play with!!

Thanks Allen!!!

Allen H
07-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Another thing you could do Geoff is to mix it up, then pour it out into a shallow tray, let it breathe a bit and get a touch firmer. Tomorrow is another update and I may do a bit of a blood update! as well as the new video.
Im so glad its useful to you guys.
Allen H

KaoTic Entertainment
07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Hello Allen thank you for the tutorials . You are a blessing to the industry.
Can you do a tutorial on how to make our own catacomb or the type of walls in the que line at darkness i think they are really cool . Can you also do one on how to do the lagoon effect and placement of the mirrors like you touched on when building your cave . We are also considering making our own mirror maze maybe with mirrored tint or mylar but need some help thank you very much Pat

Allen H
07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Kaotic,
can you nab me a pic of the Darkness walls?

deathstaste
07-12-2011, 08:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3AXbCTK4DM about 45sec in and when i was there I noticed the walls texture, bones and skulls are soft foam like a nerf ball.

Allen H
07-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Got ya, Ok look for that tutorial in the next few weeks. I will most likely do a high and low cost version because I would do it ghetto!
Allen H

deathstaste
07-12-2011, 09:39 PM
I would getto it up to. Not sure were Larry got them or if they were made in house.

Allen H
07-12-2011, 10:13 PM
looks similar to scarefactory's
http://www.paragonsp.com/images/items/510.jpg

KaoTic Entertainment
07-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Awesome thank you so much i look forward to it as do the thousands on here you rock Allen

KaoTic Entertainment
07-12-2011, 11:13 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-x-8-Wall-Skeletal-Corpses-Haunted-House-Prop-Scary-/220513253269?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33579d3795 this is the best single wall version picture i could find thank you guys

RJ Productions
07-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Watched the video a little more carefully tonight.. Suggestion if you are redoing the video..

You mention using the clear cups so as to be able to replicate the formula, but you never mention what size cup? 9 oz?12 oz?
You had bottles of the glue that were almost empty, so I'm assuming that is what was left when you put it into the cup.

Since the bottle comes in a 5 oz size wouldn't it be easier to use the entire bottle? Then you can keep the blood in the bottle??
eaier to scale up since you are using 5 oz as the baseline. You really do not have a measurement on the cup so you would have to measure the finish product. So again easier just to use the whole bottle as the baseline.

CONCRETE SEALER: I picked up a concrete sealer that was a real "rust" color. I use it as is the simulate a rust effect. It runs well and looks like a runny rust stain.

Keep up the good work Allen!!!

RJ Productions
07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
I mixed mine today in the bottles!
Scaled up to 1 1/2 teaspoons Red, 3 drops Blue in the 5 oz Clear Glue.
I used the same amount in the GEL glue even though it is only 4 oz.
Reasoning is, this a gel, so it would be used to produce more puddling
or clotting effect so therefore would be deeper in color.

You might want to experiment with mixing the regular and gel together
then you can get the best viscosity.

OK Allen...what's your NEXT project...let's play!!!

Trail of Terror
07-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Yea Allen you have been a great help to me this year in moving my haunt to the next level... I really appreciate it too.. I would like to meet you in person one day and also maybe try to attend some of your classes..

Thanks

Geoff

Another thing you could do Geoff is to mix it up, then pour it out into a shallow tray, let it breathe a bit and get a touch firmer. Tomorrow is another update and I may do a bit of a blood update! as well as the new video.
Im so glad its useful to you guys.
Allen H