PDA

View Full Version : Is 3,000 sq ft too small?

mindtumor
04-05-2007, 01:41 PM
I was looking at a building the other day that I liked but it was only 5,000 square feet. I thought I could maybe put a 3,000 square foot haunt in there just to get started but I am worried that might be too small. What does everyone else think?

MMManiac
04-05-2007, 01:53 PM
"Size doesnt matter" lol as long as your do things smart. If the scare factor is there it'll rock.

Go for it and best of luck to ya!

Sean

Mr. Haunt
04-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree with Sean 100%, mine will not be that large either, but will be outdoors.

Darkblood
04-05-2007, 02:07 PM
I would say 3,000 sq. ft. is a pretty good number to start...
The haunt I worked in was probably around 1,800-2,000 and worked great!
The Lion's had a claustrophobic feel to it each year and it seemed like it took forever to walk through for it's size...
Layout and design, as well as detail, make or break it!
Hope this helps!

Kirk :twisted:

Jim Warfield
04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Install a swinging secret door that can be opened routing people in a circle inside the place when you are not too busy, making them think the place is bigger.
As you open this door flip a switch turning on other lighting positioned either higher or lower than the lighting they started with, change the color too and you will fool many people, except for the ones that smeared something very personal on the wall the first time passed it!
"Hi, Bob! I'm your Booger!"
"That's MY Booger! It spoke to me! I've been here before...unless my booger ran on ahead of me? My nose does that sometimes."

Jolly Pumpkin
04-06-2007, 12:19 AM
I would say that the average haunt is 10-15 minutes long. But it really depends on what you do with your haunt. If it's just a straight walk through haunt without any stopping to take in a scene or skit, than 3,000 square feet may be too small. But if it's a haunt that has acted out skits where people stop and watch than it should be plenty enough. But have your haunt at least be 10 minutes long and have your customers thinking they got their moneys worth. If it's a quality haunt it shouldn't matter how large it is, but it needs to last long enough.

Jim Warfield
04-06-2007, 06:29 AM
...or if you really grab their attention and minds with unusual, creative things then their sense of time will be distended and ten minutes will not seem so short, of course you don't want it to seem like ten minutes of getting your wisdom teeth pulled or they just might not ever return which would really be a double-loss since they already know where you are and if they favorably impressed you don't have to spend advertising money on a previous satisfied customer. They will be advertising for you.
"Word of Mouth" is THE best advertising and it remains unpurchasable, no amount of money will buy it, you have to earn it, the old fashioned way by dressing up like John Houssman, talk slow and pompously, put a little "gasp" in your rasp and you will have their attention as they contemplate the possible scenario:"Is this guy going to pass-out and fall on me?"
A really scary possibility.

drfrightner
04-06-2007, 06:57 AM
What city are you in??? That has a lot to do with it. If you're in a city like Kansas City, where every haunt is like 5 billion square feet yeah its too small... if you're in say Houston where most of the haunts are smaller in size its perfect.

Just depends.

Share some more details.

Larry

mindtumor
04-06-2007, 07:38 AM
What city are you in??? That has a lot to do with it. If you're in a city like Kansas City, where every haunt is like 5 billion square feet yeah its too small... if you're in say Houston where most of the haunts are smaller in size its perfect.

Just depends.

Share some more details.

Larry

I am in Davison, Michigan. About 5-10 miles from Flint, Michigan.

mindtumor
04-06-2007, 02:11 PM
There are no haunts in davison and only a few small ones in Flint.