PDA

View Full Version : Haunted News From Around the Web

drfrightner
10-05-2011, 03:09 PM
This one is shocking.

http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/local/story/Parents-claim-attraction-actors-licked-threatened/5IjDVrKySUWTJi5jbduNOg.cspx?rss=3269

drfrightner
10-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Here is another one that leaves my head scratching.

http://www.14news.com/story/15618101/haunted-house-thinks-sex-sells

drfrightner
10-05-2011, 03:14 PM
We do NOT want to highlight or promote anything bad happening in a haunted house like an injury or whatever... however this relates to how you are operating your haunted house, or the safety inside, these are issues worth a discussion. The first story is worth a discussion for sure. The second story having zombie strippers ahhh yeah that is worth discussion.

What does everyone think of this. Me personally I'm against the whole idea of using profane words for my actors, or touching. I'm almost certain I'm against strippers in my haunted house as well... LOL

Larry

MDKing
10-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Zombie strippers? How bad must your haunt be to rely on zombie strippers and sex? I know most strippers probably look like zombies in normal light but this is a stain on the fabric of our industry! I'm surprised this flys in a state like Kansas I always thought the Midwestern folds were pretty straight-laced with morals?Can't people just make fun and scary haunted houses?Allan

soultrkr
10-05-2011, 04:02 PM
I think there is room for attractions like that they just need to be very strict about what ages they let in. While it would not be in a haunt I would run much like any Entertainment venue the real deciding factor is there a market for it. The first story I think he has found a niche in his area. He wanted to bring something a little more intense and people seem to like it. he has a waiver and tells people ahead of time the kind of stuff they may experience. I think the whole incident is a ploy to try to get money from that haunt. If anything I think it is an example of poor reporting with a distinct lack of caring and just trying to sensationalize something.

The second story not really enough information to comment on. If it works for the guy and he is making money ok is it something I would do in a haunt, no.

Does this have an overall impact on the industry? The first story no I don't I think his haunt being a little intense is Bad PR I really think that whole thing is just some dad whom apparently is not involved with his kids and saw a possible chance to try to make some money off the haunt owner. I mean really who is going to lick someone's back in a haunt I don't think so.

The second story could have some bad press effects on the industry but when we really look at this it shows more of a flaw in our social fabric. I mean we are ok with our kids seeing violence and gore but a women in a bikini top dancing provocatively is going to scar the child for life? In the end the question I think it raises is considering what we sometimes portray do we ever have room to throw the idea of morality into the conversation past what the individual owners feel they are ok with or should be asking the question are we Entertaining our guests.

The stories I feel do give black eyes to the industry or when I see stories of haunts not being safe like using saws with the blades still on anything in the realm where the guests safety is threatened in real life not in the illusions we create.
But a good Conversational Topic I think.