PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Stalk Arounds?

Village Haunter
04-20-2007, 01:25 PM
I have seen the Stalkarounds advirtised on Nightmare Factory and a couple of other places.

How effective are these products? Are they well-made and do they act and appear as natural as they are advirtised?

I can see how the hand motions work, but how about the head? The small picture they provide does not make it clear.

Any feedback is welcome.

Gore Galore
04-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Here is another option for you. Perfect for Queueline entertainment or within your house or to promote your event.
Please go here
www.gore-galore.com/costumes.html
and feel free to check out our puppet/costumes. We have video of each puppet/costume for your viewing pleasure. And if you have any questions, please feel free to email me off list.
We have 16 oversized costumes to choose from, and we can do custom work. An important thing to note is we guarantee our work.
http://www.gore-galore.com/images/creeperfull.gif

RJ Productions
04-21-2007, 03:08 AM
I would definately check out the Gore Galore stuff!!
I own one the very first Stalkabouts from Ex Mortis.
I've rebuil;t the armature twice, even rebuilt the head (an actor thought if he broke it he wouldn't have to wear it!)

But it's still ALIVE and working. I have definately gotten my money's worth!

Some of Gore Galores look like they are more comfortable for the actor. Check out everything and see what best fits your haunt's theme. Either way you can't loose.

Mr Nightmarez
04-23-2007, 06:48 AM
I have a Stalk Around - Love it, and hate it.

No one wants to wear the stalkaround since it is heavy.

I would look into the Gore Galore model

Matt Marich
04-23-2007, 08:40 AM
We used one of Kevin's in 2005 and loved it! We used it in our Finale' Room.

Jim Warfield
04-23-2007, 09:24 AM
22 years ago I built a "Stalkaround" before there was such a named product. I successfully terrorized small children (without even trying or realising it) and one of them was a neighbor's daughter who used to scream all night for sport, but in-costume I told her "I live just across the street from you." then added her first name...her screaming seemed to severely lessen after that.
It is on display in my basement, part of the tour here, I just point a flashlight at it and ask, "is she with you?"

Gore Galore
04-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Come on Jim,
You know that was just a coverup for the real name for it. "Peeping Tom".
Snark

MDKing
04-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Stalkarounds are great, and really good attention getters at a good price too. Some people will like to use them, some won't. It does tend to get heavy. The guy who was using ours in the past loved it, never complained about the weight since his reations and scares were always awesome!

Allan

TrueDungeon
05-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Big "props" to Kevin at Gore Galore.

I ordered one of his awesome Stalkarounds at Transworld -- but I needed it in March for a promotional opporunity. Kevin bent over backwards to help me out, and I love the unit.

Also, keep in mind that a free stand comes with it -- so it can still be used very well without an actor having to bear the weight. We plan on using it with an actor inside while on the stand -- in certain circumstances. Even those the actor can move the thing in this case, he can still move the head and articulate the massive arms.

bodybagging
05-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Giving the choice I too would jump at the chance for a GoreGalore created large costume over a stalkaround. Everyone that I know who owns GoreGalore costumes love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frighteners Entertainment
05-18-2007, 11:15 AM
You know it. Love mine, so much so, that I had to jump on board and list them on my site.

This is the one I own.
http://www.thefrighteners.com/Costumes/GGalore/Zombie_Lurker_Closeup_thumb.gif

Ironman
05-18-2007, 12:45 PM
HeyI recognize that tune on your site Jeff. Catchy little number.

05-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Glad you like it....You would not believe how many people want to buy it!!

Mr. Haunt
05-18-2007, 01:18 PM
I thought that they had made these costumes more comfortable for the actor? I thought I had heard or read it somewhere. There are a lot of cool costumes to choose from though. I might have to look into these myself. There was one that I really liked but dont remember what it was. If I saw it I could tell you. :roll:

Brian

05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Brian,
The one I have isn't too bad to wear. I also have the platforms for it as well.

I can get about 1 1/2 hrs. in it before taking a break.

Mr. Haunt
05-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Interesting. I am not sure what it is they use for the frame of the upper body, but there has to be a way to make them lighter. Or make it so that there is not much weight on ones shoulders. I know that back in the early stages of firefighting with air tanks they were very heavy on the shoulders. Now with the newer designs they are designed so that most of the weight is down around the waist area.

I am not sure how an actor puts these on, but I am sure it can become more comfortable for the actor. You might have to deal with some kind of bigger harness, but if its less stressful on the back and shoulders it might be worth it.

Brian

05-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Not sure on the exact weight, but thinking something like 35 lbs?
Kevin will have to chime in on that.
Have you tried one on?

Mr. Haunt
05-18-2007, 02:55 PM
No, I have not tryed one on. 35lbs is about the same weight as an air tank pack used for firefighting, you just don't have the bulky gear on thats all.

Brian

Gore Galore
05-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey thanks guys for getting in your good words.
It means alot.

Brian,

35 lbs is about right. Some are lighter but 35 is a good average.
If you or anyone else has any questions I could answer, please feel free to contact me offlist at info@gore-galore.com.

We designed our systems on a military style back back harness. Lots of support and adjustment to fit each person wearing them. The weight is distributed well but rests on the hips by the heavily padded oversized leather belt we use. Then a military shoulder harness is attached to the backplate and has two adjustments on the shoulder and two attachments and adjustments at the hips to the leather belt. So what happens is the costume becomes an extension of your body. It doesn't just rest on your shoulders. This means you can bend over and walk through a standard doorway with a 10' costume.

Dead End Haunted House
05-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey jim you said you built one... HOW? I would love to save all of the money so if you could get back to me..........-Mason

Jim Warfield
05-20-2007, 11:30 PM
The "Stalker" I made for myself 20 years ago was not so much a costume as it was a torture device for the person wearing it.
I rented this costume the next season to a woman who wore it to some bar costume contests, she is a short woman, it must have been pretty funny seeing her wrangle-around in such a contraption! I warned her beforehand about how much work and effort was required to make it happen.
There are some of us on these forums who would do and have done all sorts of very difficult and physically demanding things just to frighten someone, unfortunately finding such people of a like-mind to work within our haunts is a difficult process, or it seems to be ?
Maybe Harmony .com could help me out in this respect with their psyhcological profiling?
"You say that you like to scare people?"
"You say that you even like to scare people that you have never met before?"
"You say that you would lay in a cold, dark, damp coffin for hours just to scare someone who may or may not decide to open the coffin?"
Sounds like we found a winner!

Dead End Haunted House
05-21-2007, 12:02 AM
LOL

geoffgbeck
06-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Village Haunter, I know someone who bought a stalk-around (Demon) from Ex Mortis and he was happy with it. I have also witnessed them at different haunts and they can be effective. But, personally, I would take the money you would spend on one stalk-around and invest it in your makeup staff so they can do more effective makeups on all of your actors in your haunt, and you would still have some money left over to invest in some actor-training seminars. If money isn't an issue, then go ahead and purchase one stalk-around for promo photos or live events, or to have in a room. But, having a stalk-around in a que-line with all of the bright lights to illuminate all of the mechanisms just blows the fantasy for the crowd. It's like bowing in front of the great Wizard of Oz, and then looking up to see the curtain being pulled away and witnessing a man pulling levers! If you are into big tall creatures, I suggest Horrificus-an 8 foot tall two-headed monster on stilts and a slip-over mask that is easy to see out of for the actor (available at www.screamlinestudios.com). This costume gives the actor all of the control, unlike a stalk-around where the actor acts more like a puppet master.

Geoff Beck