PDA

View Full Version : Spiked baseball bat

Infraredkelp
04-22-2007, 06:11 PM
By far the coolest weapon in any of the Saw movies is the nail-studded baseball bat they used in Saw 2. I bought this old beat up wooden baseball bat from the thrift store for $2.95 to use for my home haunt this year. However, my mom won't let me put real nails in it. The one in the movie used rubber nails, but I don't know where to buy them. Any suggestions?
By the way, here's pics of the actual bat they used in the movie:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/986/44444444444444400000000xm7.png (http://imageshack.us)
http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=44444444444444400000000xm7.png

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4271/untitled8888888888888aa2.png (http://imageshack.us)
http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled8888888888888aa2.png

steve
04-22-2007, 06:35 PM
cast your own...

small enough that it would take minimal supplies, pour some latex, and vwala. Instant rubber nail...

Infraredkelp
04-22-2007, 07:14 PM
I've never made a latex prop before. Where is the best and cheapest place to buy latex? Are there any good books on the art of latex prop making? Thanks :)

Jim Warfield
04-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Stick a real nail into a piece of clay pull it out, and there's your mold.
Step up to the plate with this bat and everyone should guess that the "Bunt" is on.
The pitch sticks on the nails, the batter drops the bat, runs to first, the catcher has to try to throw the entire bat to the first baseman and of course, this wouldn't happen very efficiently.

Infraredkelp
04-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Stick a real nail into a piece of clay pull it out, and there's your mold.
Step up to the plate with this bat and everyone should guess that the "Bunt" is on.
The pitch sticks on the nails, the batter drops the bat, runs to first, the catcher has to try to throw the entire bat to the first baseman and of course, this wouldn't happen very efficiently.
That would be great :lol:
I don't think that clay would be all that durable and it breack off. I something flexible and rubbery so it could hit something and not break. Where can I order some good latex?

John Coen
04-22-2007, 08:22 PM
There was a booth at Transworld that sold these as I recall (the bat with nails). Does anyone recall who that was? They had rubber hammers and wrenches and all kinds of cool weapons.

Infraredkelp
04-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Sounds awesome ^ :D I wish I could go to TransWorld :?

Tater
04-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I thikn your talking about Screamlinestudios.com they have bats and all sorts of weapons...Nice guys too

steve
04-22-2007, 08:45 PM
jim was talking about the mold for the latex nails...

do exactly what he said, just push a nail into the clay, and pour the latex in the void.

latex is availible in alot of places... screamline sell decent latex i hear

Infraredkelp
04-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Then would I just cut the rubber nail in half then superglue both ends to the bat to make it look like it goes through?

hsmag
04-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Well, here's my idea and it's just an idea:

Drill holes in the bat just a fraction of a hair larger than the nails (not a very deep hole, just deep enough for part of the nail to fit down in), then fill it the hole with epoxy or silicone (like the type of silicone you use for aquariums) and while it still hasn't set up, push the rubber nail in and wipe any excess that may push out when you put the nail in.

My though is if you simply true to glue the nails to the bat, they're going to fall out. If they're inside the bat some and set in like, silicone, I believe it will have a better chance of staying in place.

Just my thoughts

Ken Spriggs
04-23-2007, 09:07 AM
For $100 I will send you one with rubber nails

screamlinestudios
04-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Check Oak Island - they have purchased all the Designs from ScreamLand and I think one of them is close to that design

Thanks Tater, but currently we only offer the Axe, Sledge and Ball-Peen - Real Wooden Handles - Dense Foam Heads. More to come in the future.

Piece Out! :twisted:

drfrightner
04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Did Oak Island get all of Brutal Images stuff and Screamland???

Larry

Nightgore
04-23-2007, 02:55 PM
I think so... But only someone from OIP (John) could answer that! In fact, I don't think they've signed up for a HW.com account! -Tyler

Ken Spriggs
04-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Wait you mean the king of halloween doesn't know something about halloween prop companies?????? LOL

They got all of Steves weapons...bought the products
I think they are only a rep for Brutal images
I know because they rep our stuff to at shows we don't do.

drfrightner
04-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Funny...

No I knew they took over selling of Brutal Images, and I knew they were doing the stuff on Screamland (hence no Screamland at the show). I think John told me they bought them out, and he was repping Brutal Images.

But as for the Screamland stuff I don't think I put two and two together in my mind... I did realize I didn't see Steve Koontz at the show this year.

Hmmm... what happened there?

Larry

Infraredkelp
04-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Oak island bought Brutal images?! I wish I could afford their "pizza face" product. I was going to buy it last season when it was $40, but now it's $50!!!!

Anyways, I searched the Oak island site and the only bat I could find from them was a "metal" foam bat with blood on it.

Infraredkelp
04-23-2007, 11:40 PM
For $100 I will send you one with rubber nails
$100 for a spiked bat prop??!! That's outrageous!! I could make one myself for about $20 or less. I'm not criticizing you specifically Ken Springs, but the one thing about this haunt buisness that drives me crazy is how over-priced all of the props are! Brutal Images, however has fairly reasonable prices (among others). A full-sized latex "pizza face" selling for $40 is a good buy. The fact that they recently docked it up to $50 is kind of frusturating because now I wouldn't consider buying it anymore because It's too expensive. Oh well, I guess how these companies make a living :?

Jim Warfield
04-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Looks like the subject for an interesting poll.
How many of us make our own props?
How many of us do our own masks and make up?
How many of us are in the construction business (or once were?)
How many of us were or are in the trades?
How many of us can replicate almost anything we see at a Halloween show?
How many of you reading this think my pole is interesting?

Infraredkelp
04-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Looks like the subject for an interesting poll.
How many of us make our own props?
How many of us do our own masks and make up?
How many of us are in the construction business (or once were?)
How many of us were or are in the trades?
How many of us can replicate almost anything we see at a Halloween show?
How many of you reading this think my pole is interesting?
I'm sure that a lot of people make their own props. But for the people who don't know how to make quality props, or don't have time, etc., shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg, for an arm and a leg! Besides, I really want a motorcycle, that doesn't mean I'm gonna go and build one myself just because they're too expensive store-bought!

Jim Warfield
04-24-2007, 07:39 AM
I used to think alot of haunt stuff was very expensive until I began talking with some of the creators and venders of the items.
Attending Transworld or Haunt Con takes alot of money, just plain old money! Unless you won millions in the state lotto or inherited alot of money and just want to show off or be a real nice guy, $100.oo here and there doesn't usually add up to cover all the expenses.
Ken has a huge haunted attraction and I know his time and effort is not something he wishes to part with too cheaply without something to pay his bills with.
Of course if you wait for this item to be in Wal-Mart it will be coming from China , possibly be cast real thin and be cheap, but by then EVERYBODY will have one, every 12 year old walking down the street October 31st will have one so impressing or scaring anyone with this item will probably not be happening much.
To have access to unique, custom-made products of a limited production run always cost more money.
I personally would have a new Ferrarri if they cost as much as a Ford Escourt.(Of course that insurance would still be high!)

Ken Spriggs
04-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Larry sorry I was doing sooooooooo good till now.....
Have some things going on in my life that have made me think about getting a 1 way ticket to IRAQ.

Now looky here Infraredkelp:
MY NAME IS SPELLED AS BIG AS DAY FOR YOU TO SEE AND YOU STILL CAN'T SPELL IT RIGHT?

Now as far as the $100 price.....I am making a 1 of a kind piece for you to play with. I am in a whse in Chicago where I pay rent on a building year round.

Now if i had a business that made bats with nails all day i might be able to cut you a deal for lets say $60 but i have to make everything from scratch....just like we do for Six flags and some other people.
From scratch equals more money
From China equals $3
From a company that already makes these for people $60

It's an offer...you don't like the price....don't buy it.

Also 1 other thing to keep in mind....you are coming here looking for help

WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYONE WANT TO HELP YOU AFTER YOU SLAM US?

Here is one of your comments..... But for the people who don't know how to make quality props, or don't have time, etc., shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg, for an arm and a leg!

Gee we had to learn how to make the stuff....you are paying for the 23 years of learning

One more little justification of the price.......here is my product list and since I don't have ANY of this stuff right now in the shop...I have to buy all of this from scratch...

Plaster $25
Latex...ok I have that but I would have to buy at least $25 worth for the project
So we are up to $50
So now the 3 trips I have to make to the shop....$20 in gas
So far my COST of $70 and 3 days worth of work is really not worth it
Besides I need to buy the ANTIQUE USED BAT to go along with it

Never mind I don't want to make it for $100

I now need $150 gee I almost cheated myself out of money again.......

DARN DARN DARN DARN (my best herman imitation)
I should have read Warfields post.....it would have saved me from typing this all out....THANKS JIM

beardedbil
04-24-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't get it, so a prop went from $40 to now $50 dollars, and all of a sudden its out of question for buying? $10 makes or breaks your prop buying decision? Also I offered Infraredkelp to make him the latex nails, he said his budget was only $10... you can't buy enough latex to make the nails for that amount of money...??

Props are expensive because they are making something you can't. If you could make it, you would for less. I think that's the way our country works... but I could be wrong.

John Coen
04-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Everything is going up this year because the minimum wage increased so to pay the workers the cost of the product raises.

It's like unraveling a huge cable-knit sweater that someone keep knitting, a-and knitting, a-and knitting, a-and knitting..
(MY best Herman imitation...Pee Wee Herman)

Jim Warfield
04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Stupid old me! Here I thought you guys were referring to Herman Munster!
(Herman Goering was pretty funny too. He once boasted, "If English bombs ever fall on Germany, then you can call me Meyer!"
Herman Goering Meyer, that was him!

Infraredkelp
04-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Now looky here Infraredkelp:
MY NAME IS SPELLED AS BIG AS DAY FOR YOU TO SEE AND YOU STILL CAN'T SPELL IT RIGHT?
What's your deal, it's just a friggin' typo.

Now as far as the $100 price.....I am making a 1 of a kind piece for you to play with. I am in a whse in Chicago where I pay rent on a building year round.

Now if i had a business that made bats with nails all day i might be able to cut you a deal for lets say $60 but i have to make everything from scratch....just like we do for Six flags and some other people.

From scratch equals more money
From China equals $3
From a company that already makes these for people $60

It's an offer...you don't like the price....don't buy it.

Also 1 other thing to keep in mind....you are coming here looking for help
WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYONE WANT TO HELP YOU AFTER YOU SLAM US?
I'm sorry if you feel if that way, but I would hardly say that I "slammed" you. I was merely giving my opinion on haunted prop prices. I am 14 years old and don't have a job, so I can't afford to buy fake nails for $100. I'll admit that I went a little crazy, but I now realize the hard effort that goes into prop making. When I said I don't want to "pay an arm and a leg for a arm and a leg", I just kidding, I heard that exact quote from another prop comapny(can't remeber which).

One more little justification of the price.......here is my product list and since I don't have ANY of this stuff right now in the shop...I have to buy all of this from scratch...

Plaster $25
Latex...ok I have that but I would have to buy at least $25 worth for the project
So we are up to $50
So now the 3 trips I have to make to the shop....$20 in gas
So far my COST of $70 and 3 days worth of work is really not worth it
Besides I need to buy the ANTIQUE USED BAT to go along with it

Never mind I don't want to make it for $100

I now need $150 gee I almost cheated myself out of money again.......

DARN DARN DARN DARN (my best herman imitation)
I should have read Warfields post.....it would have saved me from typing this all out....THANKS JIM
I already have a bat, I just need the nails.

I don't get it, so a prop went from $40 to now $50 dollars, and all of a sudden its out of question for buying? $10 makes or breaks your prop buying decision?
Yes, $10 does affect my decision on buying a prop.

[/quote="beardedbil"]Also I offered Infraredkelp to make him the latex nails, he said his budget was only $10... you can't buy enough latex to make the nails for that amount of money...??[/quote]
Forgive for not knowing how expensive latex is. However, $10 is still my limit for buying, and if you don't want to sell it for that, then don't. In the other part of that email that you didn't include, I said that I would probably cast the nails myself because I want to learn how to use latex. Sorry if I upset you guys, I'm still kind of new to this buisness (not sarcasm).

p.s. I'm apologizing in advance for all of the typos in this post :wink:

Happy Hauntings,
Infraredkelp

Jim Warfield
04-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Really now! Being only 14 years old is not an excuse for anything on this forum, since all the rest of us are also stuck at 14 years of age.
Unfortunately you may find that the thrills and happinesses found when 14 may not be able to be repeated.(Why do you think we are all choosing to be perpetually 14? hahahaha!
"14", old enough to probably know better but too enthusiastic for it all to ever stop (for that previously mentioned reason)
You are doing alright as far as I'm concerned. Most of us haunters get insulted drastically and often by the un-smilers of this world who just don't have a clue.

Infraredkelp
04-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I wasn't using my age as an excuse. I was my money shortage as an excuse, which happens comes with being 14 and not having a job (or allowence :evil: ).

Btw, why are haunters treated badly by other people? I haven't any bad reviews about my halloween home haunts.

PumpkinHead
04-24-2007, 10:46 PM
In regards to being young....

STEVE KRISTOF!!!!!!!!!

But then again... he is a friggin' evil genius....

his sharks even have "lazers"

Nightgore
04-24-2007, 10:49 PM
There are several "young" people in this industry... myself included (20). And yes, Steve is one evil freakin genius with frickin sharks and lazers! Hahaha...-Tyler

Infraredkelp
04-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Since this thread is already completely off subject....

EVERYONE VOTE IN THE POLL IN MY SIGNATURE!!!!!!

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

redcrowdesign
04-25-2007, 12:31 AM
I saw something like that in 'deathwatch' (that's a movie) but the one in deathwatch was smaller and had more spikes.

I love spiked bats, I even gave one to my own comic character:

The brutalizer:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/redcrowdesign/colored_skullman.jpg

It's based on jason LOL but this one is a lot more violent :twisted:

redcrowdesign
04-25-2007, 12:34 AM
here's another shot:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/redcrowdesign/brutalizer.jpg

or... pretty much the same, but with a happy victim :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ken Spriggs
04-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Steve is an idiot...HI STEVE
Thanks for not breaking anything big this year during TW!!!

HMM why do people treat haunters bad?
They kill goats on the 2nd tuesdays every month
Oh wait that's just me

Look son......I go by my real name not a made up funny slogan as my screen name for a reason.......SO YOU KNOW WHO I AM
Clear as day when people read my post they see who I am.

I didn't say slam me...I didn't take it personal....there are alot of people on here that may have though....you need to think about what you are putting in writing.

Just so you know....I started making masks to sell to companies when I was 17...damn that was 21 years ago

Jim Warfield
04-25-2007, 09:58 PM
I go by "Jim Warfield" but my real name is...Rumplestiltsskin!!!
Too hard to spell quickly.

redcrowdesign
04-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Actually if you spell Jim's real name backwards he will be sent back to his dimension :twisted:

Infraredkelp
04-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Mij Dleifraw!!!

Jim Warfield
04-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Yes I do have the deed to that dimension of mine, free and clear.
I have been contemplating franchising it though.
I can visualize it now, every town will have it's own nocturnal glowing ball of mist on prime street corners (and alleys) regularly surrounded by hundreds of people all in silent prayer , then they contribute their donation and peacefully leave...until the next night when they do it all over again.
Pay toilets for the known world!

redcrowdesign
04-26-2007, 01:10 PM
OH NO!! Jim is planning take over the world! :shock:

Nightmaretony
04-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Too late, Redcrow.

I hope Steve weighs in. Realize he runs a pro haunt and runs it well.