PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Vortex

Haunt man
02-28-2012, 03:48 PM
I saw this vortex effect for sale at Juneau Studios.
I wanted to know if anyone here has used one before and could tell me if they are safe to walk thourgh, due to the laser like light that they use, I thought may not be good for eye contact. Is it safe for eye contact? if so id prefer to send the $250 for that then $7000+ for a normal vortex.
I like it but I thought id ask for some pros and cons from you guys first!
Thanks

Karl
02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Another alternative would be to use a light-rope style tunnel. We used one for our haunt and it was very effective and for a fraction of that $7000. We used 24' sections of rope, our own sound system, and a machine to give them a spinning effect. We bought everything we needed from Stan Jung at Digital Sound And Lighting www.digitalsl.com. I would highly recommend it.

Haunt man
03-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I looked at the site and I do like it, but does it come with some kind of bridge, or do you just walk over the light?
Thanks!
Haunt man

krazedklownkilla
03-06-2012, 07:11 AM
I love that vortex. We used one like it at a haunt for years and no one seemed to say anything about the lazer.

Darkblood
03-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Would love to see a video of it...

Kirk

screamforadream
03-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Here's their video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42zQ3blYE0Y*

I'd buy it, but honestly....I have one like it already, I want something that has a little more effect at making people woozy....

Darkblood
03-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks! We are looking into some form of tunnel for this season (possibly)...we used a green lazer last year last minute in a long hallway with fog and it worked okay, but the lazer wasn't huge in diameter...still looked neat!

Kirk

prfields6038
03-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Does anyone have a video of the lighted rope style tunnel from Digital Sound?

Another alternative would be to use a light-rope style tunnel. We used one for our haunt and it was very effective and for a fraction of that $7000. We used 24' sections of rope, our own sound system, and a machine to give them a spinning effect. We bought everything we needed from Stan Jung at Digital Sound And Lighting www.digitalsl.com. I would highly recommend it.

KaoTic Entertainment
03-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Hey folks found the same laser tunnel effect exactly like juneau studios is selling
.only difference is the guy sells them for 145.00 check him
out by emailing him at SKateDetroit@hotmail.com he can help

craigsrobotics
03-09-2012, 12:40 PM
give the spinning mirrors more of an angle, and your "tunnel" will have a larger diameter.

BrotherMysterio
03-12-2012, 08:11 PM
As far as I know, you can do a laser vortex for about $10 . . . or at least one prop maker did. I saw his set up. Pretty sweet.

Haunt man
03-13-2012, 07:36 PM
How did he build it for ten bucks?
Any vidoe links?

CatacombProductions
03-15-2012, 12:19 PM
http://www.garageofevilnetwork.com/main/search/search?q=laser+vortex

This link should give you some ideas. Not super hard to build. We used a laser vortex in our haunt last year(with the help from froggy fog).

Karl
03-17-2012, 08:27 AM
We had to build our own walkway. I'm searching for pics/video. Will post back soon.

Haunt man
03-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the G.O.E. link.
I do have a question, where can I keep a cheap green laser as seen in the link?
The only one I know of cost between $30-40.
Thank you.

Haunt man

HauntedMemphis
03-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Going back to the original question, the power of the laser is a big deal. Not all lasers are safe, especially in someone's eyes. Getting technical specs of a laser is a big deal. I did a ton of reading 2 years ago before deciding to do a laser vortex to make sure it was going to be safe. Some lasers even have to be registered for use, especially in outdoor haunts.

Karl
03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=295905490480481. The only one I could find at the moment. If I was organized................

BigT
03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
I have done a lot of work with lasers (huge multimedia events and concerts) and have used this very effect in a couple of ways. The laser is actually safe to use in this case because the laser beam is circling rather than aimed directly at the eyes. If you are using a high-powered laser (which these are not) you have a larger concern of someone accidentally making direct eye contact for an extended period of time with the laser beam, but with these and other "club lasers" as I call them, not such a big deal.

Try using a Haze Master rather than a smoke machine when you use this effect. Haze is a petroleum based fog that actually creates a long-lasting haze in the room where this is being used. That is the optimum for laser effects because the haze hangs around for a long time. I have used 2 Haze Masters to fill a 3000 seat auditorium for a 3 hour production; worked great and was awesome with the lasers.

BrotherMysterio
03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
How did he build it for ten bucks? Any video links?

Basically, a small compact mirror (or the like) glued at a very slight tilt to the center of a muffin fan, and then a pen laser (or the like) to shoot straight into the center of it. Then you shoot that into a whole cloud of fog in your desired room or hallway, and, viola!, instant laser vortex.

I'll see if I can get some video links. I know my friend has some, iirc.