PDA

View Full Version : How to create this set?????

Trail of Terror
04-17-2012, 05:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows how to create this set... I think its cool and would love to put this in my haunt.

Thanks

Geoff

please click on file below to see what I am talking about

drfrightner
04-17-2012, 05:45 PM
That is actually very very very very very simple. You are talking about a couple mirrors and maybe to make what you just saw there better a cool torso piece. Im sure someone can explain it line by line but that is just too easy to create.

Larry

Allen H
04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Distortions used to sell these.
I will work on a diagram for you, but I have to get youtube wed shot first.
Allen H

Trail of Terror
04-17-2012, 06:43 PM
That is actually very very very very very simple. You are talking about a couple mirrors and maybe to make what you just saw there better a cool torso piece. Im sure someone can explain it line by line but that is just too easy to create.

Larry

This was outside and you could walk right up to it and still couldn't tell how it was done

Trail of Terror
04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
I knew you would know... I appreciate it... you have been very helpful to me and I thank you for that

Distortions used to sell these.
I will work on a diagram for you, but I have to get youtube wed shot first.
Allen H

deathstaste
04-17-2012, 10:10 PM
http://youtu.be/mvKufAN1blU

Allen H
04-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Deathstate, that is prety close, but the key is the partial cube box he is in. Mirrors are involved. let me know if this helps.

Frightener
04-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Yeup. That's similar to the Spill your Guts illusion. One of my all time favorites. I'll be building mine this year! FINALLY! I haven't built one before.

This mirror setup is the basis for MANY illusions. Use your imagination and you can come up with a lot of stuff, from seeing through underside of tables to showing empty boxes before pulling something out (which is actually only one mirror, but still same basis. It reflects the side of the box.

Trail of Terror
04-18-2012, 08:28 AM
i looked really hard at this one and I didn't see any mirrors... plus it was out side... I was thinking it just had a hole the guy was coming out.. but you could look and see empty space behind the spine

Thanks for the info... I will give this a try..

I appreciate everyones help

Geoff

Deathstate, that is prety close, but the key is the partial cube box he is in. Mirrors are involved. let me know if this helps.

Allen H
04-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Trust me, this is how it was done. it was a purchased unit. you dont see the mirrors because they are reflecting the sides. that is why the sides of the box are there.
Outside or inside it does not matter, you wont see the mirrors.

SCfearfarm
04-18-2012, 09:23 AM
I have one of these and you can not see the mirrors no matter how close you are. Like Allen said if the sides were not there the whole effect would not work. You have to be a little careful if it is very dusty etc. so that the mirrors do not get dirty and make sure that you be careful at the way you light the box so that the light doesn't show in the mirror. It's easy and effective. You can paint it different and change it into something new every year. Mine is painted for a clown right now, we are remaking it into a voo-doo witch doctor this year.

Trail of Terror
04-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Cool thanks.. Do you have any pictures of yours you wouldn't mind sharing with me..

I have one of these and you can not see the mirrors no matter how close you are. Like Allen said if the sides were not there the whole effect would not work. You have to be a little careful if it is very dusty etc. so that the mirrors do not get dirty and make sure that you be careful at the way you light the box so that the light doesn't show in the mirror. It's easy and effective. You can paint it different and change it into something new every year. Mine is painted for a clown right now, we are remaking it into a voo-doo witch doctor this year.

Trail of Terror
04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
i trust you Allen. you haven't lead me wrong yet... been a great help.. I will try to post pictures as I make it, to get feedback..

Trust me, this is how it was done. it was a purchased unit. you dont see the mirrors because they are reflecting the sides. that is why the sides of the box are there.
Outside or inside it does not matter, you wont see the mirrors.

Allen H
04-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I thought I recognized it, the pic you posted I think is from ripley's in gatlinburg TN?
can you see the workings better?

Trail of Terror
04-18-2012, 12:21 PM
you are correct... it is from Ripley's in TN... was there on vaction a couple of weeks ago... So they are using mirrors?

I thought I recognized it, the pic you posted I think is from ripley's in gatlinburg TN?
can you see the workings better?

Frightener
04-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Yeah! Years ago they had the spill your guts there. They had him out front as a barker, very good one too!

That was where I saw my first one at. We went there... ohh about 10 years ago I guess. We went to the rod run and car show.

Odinseye
04-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Hate to disagree with Allen but we have made one without mirrors. Just a skeleton mounted on the box, a hole in the back allows the person to lean over the skeleton and hang their shirt over it so it looks like their body is skeleton. If that makes sense?!! Looks cool if done right.

Allen H
04-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Yes like the first video posted it can be done to an extent without mirrors, however the specific picture he posted is what he asked about and it was done with mirrors. in my opinion the mirrored version looks better in a side by side comparison.
I would love to see pics of your set up.

Odinseye
04-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Here is what our setup looks like.... If you want I can take more pics without the actor in it. 1271712718

Allen H
04-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Looks great Odin-
The difference between your version and the mirror version is that the actor is more towards the middle of the cube as opposed to being against the back wall. At a haunt at night it will make almost no difference. The illusion is pretty stunning with the mirrors even in broad daylight.

BrotherMysterio
04-19-2012, 11:23 AM
So they are using mirrors?

It's not just an optical illusion, but a psychological one as well.

To wit: the reason why you think they are not using mirrors is because, 1) you can't see your reflection in it, and 2) you can't see the spine in it. Subconsciously, your mind is telling you that if it was a mirror, you should see some sort of recognizable reflection in it. And that would be the case, were it not for the angles and the comparatively tight space that they are in. Additionally, your subconscious is telling you that if the actor is moving his arms in front of his "body" that you should see that as well.

Well, all the above would be true if the actor dropped his arms to his "side", or rather behind the frontal plane of the fake spine. If they were behind the frontal plane of the fake spine, and an inch in front of the mirrors, you would see his arms in the mirrors.

Likewise, your mind is telling you that you should also see the spine and whatnot in the mirror, and, in truth, you would, if you were looking thru the side of the box at the mirror. At that angle, you would see the back of the fake spine and the faces of the startled onlookers.

Make more sense?

C.

Laughing Jack
04-19-2012, 11:25 AM
The best mirror box I've ever seen was at a freak show.
It was a spider with a girls head, it was fully lighted and you were close up and
couldn't see there mirrors. She even answered questions and made jokes.

BrotherMysterio
04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
The best mirror box I've ever seen was at a freak show.
It was a spider with a girls head, it was fully lighted and you were close up and
couldn't see there mirrors. She even answered questions and made jokes.

Ah, "Spidora", a Paul Osbourne classic!

freak 'n' stein
04-21-2012, 10:09 AM
I went to the Ripley's in Myrtle Beach a few years ago and they have the illusion without the mirrors. It works, especially for close up photo-ops

Allen is correct about the mirrors though. That is how I first saw it done. The original and "better" of the two illusions, in my opinion, is with mirrors. I uploaded the video from America Haunts which briefly shows the mirrors >>

xBYD9W3U4wU