PDA

View Full Version : Indoor chainsaw alternatives?

rwrussom
05-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Is Spooky Props the only game in town for chain saws done right? From what I can tell, yes. Great product but dang pricey. I'm such a cheap SOB with the ability to build just about any prop, it kills me to spend that much, especially when I would really like two.

Any thoughts or is it bust out the check book time?

Skeered
05-05-2012, 10:33 PM
I would ask about the push button. When you push it the 1st time and it revs up, does releasing it let it rev down. Then pushing it again revs it up at the same point in the cycle. Almost one of those things I would have to hear in person before I bought one. If they claim it is as loud as a real one and it ain't I would ask about a return policy. Other than that it looks pretty good. At half the weight you could have a screaming maniac with one in each hand. Let us know how it turns out.

David Ludick
05-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Ive used one...it is as loud as the real thing, if not louder...and insanely light.

Skeered
05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
A guest won't be around long enough to notice, but how good does it sound quality wise against the real thing? I may have to add this to my list for future purchases.

WeAreTheUnion
05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
As a patron, I am always annoyed by these things. They just don't sound real. They sound like a tiny speaker covered in foam and paint playing an MP3 of a chainsaw.
If you're indoor, I'd rather see a real electric saw than a fake gas one.

rwrussom
05-08-2012, 10:51 AM
I assume you have experienced the prop by SpookyProps. There is a significant difference between this produce and the cheap Gemmy or other consumer type product. My experience was that they are very life like, minus the exhaust.

What does an electric offer? Most of the noise comes from the chain rotating on the bar. If you pull that off what is left to offer a chainsaw effect?

The problem I was struggling with was the $750 price tag for the SpookyProps product.

Trail of Terror
05-08-2012, 11:14 AM
i use two electric and they work really well... they have allot of sound with them without the chain..and I also have a spooky chain saw its good too... but ... I will sell you my spooky chain saw.. if you are interested I can take pictures of it and make a video of it in action...

I assume you have experienced the prop by SpookyProps. There is a significant difference between this produce and the cheap Gemmy or other consumer type product. My experience was that they are very life like, minus the exhaust.

What does an electric offer? Most of the noise comes from the chain rotating on the bar. If you pull that off what is left to offer a chainsaw effect?

The problem I was struggling with was the $750 price tag for the SpookyProps product.

BrotherMysterio
05-08-2012, 11:16 AM

I'd have to imagine they would be easy to make, at least for a Halloween prop tinkerer, the likes of which we have here on the board.

C.

Tom
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Why not get a real one, gut it out to make it lighter and add a sound board that can be triggered which has the real sound of a chainsaw uploaded on it. Then run it thru a guitar or bass amp and crank it up. I did this and it worked out great!!!. No gas or fumes, but a real sounding and actual real chainsaw.
Then add a 12v charger to the blade and fence and get the sparks goin too. Yes, it is cheap and easy.

BrotherMysterio
05-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Why not get a real one, gut it out to make it lighter and add a sound board that can be triggered which has the real sound of a chainsaw uploaded on it. Then run it thru a guitar or bass amp and crank it up. I did this and it worked out great!!!. No gas or fumes, but a real sounding and actual real chainsaw.
Then add a 12v charger to the blade and fence and get the sparks goin too. Yes, it is cheap and easy.

That's precisely what I was thinking, or something along those lines. Got plans? Specs?

Also, some kind of vibrating motor in the housing to give it realistic movement, perhaps.

Another idea would be to use some kind of conductive flat grate on a wall panel, and when the chainsaw comes in contact with the grate, as in the spark fence idea, whether it sparked or not, it could trigger a wall thumper on the other side of the wall panel, making it sound like the chainsaw was ripping on the wall, which usually gives it a nice, visceral quality (and gets a nice, visceral reaction).

If you did want it to spark and thump at the same time, and didn't want to the circuit involved in the sparking in some complex jury-rig, then you could run a lead from the sparking circuit to the trigger lead on a relay, with the relay operating the on/off switch of the thumper on a completely different circuit.

Something like that could probably work.

C.

WeAreTheUnion
05-09-2012, 08:26 AM

I am familiar with the SpookyProps one. I've actually used them at various haunts I've worked. As a patron and as an actor, these things are a dud. If you come at me with one, I don't care how good the set is, I'm going to laugh. Guaranteed.
Gutting an actual saw and triggering an audio file through a bigger speaker sounds like a way better plan.

Tom
05-09-2012, 09:13 AM
That's precisely what I was thinking, or something along those lines. Got plans? Specs?

Sorry Brother, I didn't have or make any plans. Just something I built several years ago. It seemed so real.

Tom
05-09-2012, 09:25 AM
A haunt above me used the spookyprop chain saw, two of them. They had problems with the wiring because the actors got crazy with them. But then again, a chainsaw guy is supposed to get crazy. I had to repair them a few times. Then you have remember to charge them each night.
But I must add, they sounded like a mini speaker recording chainsaw, not like a real one. Patrons could tell they were fake as they passed by. I heard them. If they incorporated a larger speaker with a wireless transmitter to crank up the sound, it might be more effective.
For a 1/4 of the cost, get a real one and modify it like I did.
$20 - $30 for a junk chainsaw (gut it out for less weight)
$50 (or less) for a digital recorder/player (modify the manual "play" switch and attach to the handle of the chainsaw)
$100 or less for a nice size amp (hook up to the recorder/player)
Screaming Patrons - priceless...

Tom
05-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Here is a pic of mine in use but doesn't show much.

rwrussom
05-09-2012, 10:22 AM
I had considered that before. If the $750 prop still sounds like a small speaker, then that really kills it for me. Sounds like an experiment will be in order.

BrotherMysterio
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
$100 or less for a nice size amp (hook up to the recorder/player)

How big and where is it located?

Screaming Patrons - priceless . . .

Always.

C.

Tom
05-09-2012, 02:47 PM
I found a Kustom bass amp at a pawn shop with two 15" speakers and an equalizer for around $80. Craigslist may also have them in your area. Ebay is another good source. Pawn shops are a better option if you can try them out prior to purchasing.

BrotherMysterio
05-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I found a Kustom bass amp at a pawn shop with two 15" speakers and an equalizer for around $80. Craigslist may also have them in your area. Ebay is another good source. Pawn shops are a better option if you can try them out prior to purchasing.

And they were located in the hallway or room about where the chainsaw would be?

C.

Tom
05-09-2012, 05:12 PM
And they were located in the hallway or room about where the chainsaw would be?

C.

Yes, I had it covered in black cloth so it couldn't be seen. We had several strobes in the area too so it didn't seem to matter to the screamin patrons :)

Malleus Studios
05-11-2012, 07:11 AM
We too had failures with the electronic chainsaw prop. It worked so-so for a year, then started acting up and eventually it was just dead. We gave up on it and managed to get permission to run a real saw. In the dark, the fake one looked alright, but the sound just wasn't great, even cranked all the way up it was barely louder than the music in the house.

Matt Marich
05-11-2012, 08:35 AM
John at Spookyprops is a real class act. He truly knows his product and he backs his product.
I have approached this situation with indoor chainsaw room before, and this is what I would suggest:

Use the on board sound, but mix your own track, with screams, and pump it through a surround system. Back it with a loww frequency rumble, and let it vibrate the room.
Pump a bit of smoke, puffs to give the feel of exhuast. Add FOG SCents from froggy's to it give it a smell of gas fumes burning. I like the BBQ or Gun Powder scents best. Yep, I think these work better.
I have used fast dissapating fluids, it shouldn't be smokey.
I also want to experiment with shock skins from Oak Island/Onadira. That will keep the the kiddies from seeking solace on the walls!
If you can afford it, elevate floor with Buttkicker dampers and let the audio shake and vibrate the room. They don't call em Buttkickers for nothing.Call Stan at Digital Sound and Light, he can engineer this for you and supply equipment.
An excellent Audio Engineer is Adam From Poison Props, he's an Ememy winner. A true engineer knows the frequency responses to activate the human response!
Lastly, the most important for me is to set the scene with one of Kip's Video effects called Chainsaw. It shows a poor soul getting sawed up real good and the live action actor with chainsaw comes out and the chase begins. Earlier an actual fake chainsaw blade pops out of the wall to startle people.

Yeh, I know its an expensive wish list, but Chainsaws are king, until people are scared shitless by Sonic Care toothbrushes.

8 years ago at TW, I saw a 6' 6'" guy with a shirt, it read:

Chainsaw- $ 199.00
Leather Mask- $ 39.99
Chasing Teenage Girls all over Ohio, PRICELESS!!

tonguesandwich
05-14-2012, 01:40 AM
I have .. I think 3 left. They worked for the scare. We had a bunch of chainsaw Elvis and you can see in the photo that this one is covered in electric tape because a sub actor smashed it against the wall... still ran.. and looks good enough in low light.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x92/Tonguesandwich/elvis.jpg