PDA

View Full Version : SpookyWoods New Castle Facade ... Take a look!!!

drfrightner
05-11-2007, 03:57 AM
I copied and pasted this from another thread on the site... I thought it deserved its OWN thread! Larry

I wanted to share a sneak peek with all the die hard haunters out there of what Terror on the FOX inspired us to create. After seeing their show my build crew was sketching on napkins the whole plane ride home. Here is a private link to a page of our progress on our Castle Facade we started building the week we returned from the Frozen Tundra Tour.

http://www.spookywoods.com/castle.htm

We are completly building a new show from the ground up this year. I was amazed how inspired my crew became from seeing what could be done out of foam. NC's has never seen a haunt like what we are creating this year.

MDKing
05-11-2007, 06:38 AM
That looks very nice!

Allan

Jim Warfield
05-11-2007, 07:22 AM
If it ends up looking good enough the opposing Vandal army won't even lay seige, they will just find an easier, less formidable castle to attack!
(It looks pretty "formidable" so far!)
Going to have a flame-spitting dragon flying on a cable over the que line?
The ultimate haunted attraction will always be the one that gets that ticket money, then scares everyone away before they have a chance to walk inside!

twohlgemuth
05-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Jim,

Actually my plans were to have flames shooting out from the castle towers. However, we decided to build the castle closer to the woods so we can give our tram ride during the daytime attraction enough room to pass. Being so close to the pines fire would be to risky. We do however have a 35ft Flame tower just in front of the castle in the haunted corn field that adds some great atmosphere.

Just above the entrance into the castle there will be a 6ft tall gargoyle, his eyes will light up in red and he will breath smoke to signal the next group into the attraction. Currently this prop is being shipped from China, so I don't expect it until August.

xxxdirk
05-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Looks VERY cool. I went to the badboys seminar at Hauntcon and plan on using the knowledge gained this year. Onething about your castle though. Does it make sense to just have a facade that you walk through and then,boom your in the woods? Or are you going to at least have a couple of rooms so it is that you walk throght part of the castle to get to the woods? Or am I just over thinking stuff again? :?

jason
05-11-2007, 10:51 AM
is that great stuff they used to fill in the seams?

campdoc
05-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Twohlgemuth!
You guys ever have a open house?
I'd love to see your work.(in the day light)..
Looks great..

twohlgemuth
05-11-2007, 04:27 PM
The Castle theme continues inside the woods, with a take off on the "Dot Room" but instead we have a rock monster hidden inside the rock walls inside a dungeon. Spookywoods is not a walk through open woods like most outdoor attractions, it has 4x8 walls and rooms inside. The Castle theme continues further with a Dark Dungeon. Then the themes change through out the the 90,000 square foot pine forest. We have built a log cabin, huge gothic camber, and many more sets you have to go through. Most people do not even realize they are in the pine forest since we have walls through out the haunt.

The Spookywoods itself is just one of the main attractions, the entire haunt has an old house built in the 1930's, Tram Ride and 2 acre haunted corn field. Overall it takes about an hour to go through the haunt. We have mulitple attractions, but all on one ticket and once inside the house your on your way, with little waiting between the elements.

We did use some great stuff to fill the seams, then hard coated the entire facade with the quick spray system from Volitle Free.

As far as an open house, just get in touch with me to setup a visit.

Jim Warfield
05-11-2007, 08:29 PM
People can be fooled rather easily. I bet 80% of my customers think they are in the basement as they step outside into my backyard maze. I know this because this is what I hear them say!
Then they might look up and there are the stars and sky and occassional rabid possum hanging from a tree limb above them.
..then the possum begins doing his version of Houdini's upside-down escape trick....

John Coen
05-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Very cool! I want a castle now. :)

lurker
05-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Tony,

Where did you get your foam? Tri-State Foam?
I've been trying to find a good local source that won't kill me on shipping cost?

Speculo
05-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Allan Bennett of Bennetts Curse has a really cool Castle Facade carved out of foam he is selling, if he hasn't sold it yet...I might have picked it up If I had the room...

Thanks

Ben Armstrong
NETHERWORLD

chip3199
05-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Hey Tony,
Looks great! I've been following your site since you started this project and it's pretty inspirational what you've done! We too, will be doing doing some foam projects to enhance our show, and watching you, and the Terror on the Fox guys knock this cool stuff out helps keep us going...

Chip

KroneDaddy
05-13-2007, 03:54 AM
Dang Tony that thar looks gooder'n hell!

Great Job my friend!

Try to come over this year.

Timmy

MDKing
05-13-2007, 05:34 AM
Thanks a lot Ben, any interest in the facade email me or pm me here.

Thanks,
Allan