PDA

View Full Version : 13th Gate Cave build

Midnight13
08-31-2012, 08:08 PM

Thought I would share a few pictures of our new cave system. Over 6 months of work and more than 30 tons of mortar & sand went into this 5000 sq ft cave system which has Neanderthal cave drawings, Ice, big waterfalls, wind tunnels, pools, streams, steam effects, echo effects, and a whole lot of detail featuring a variety of rock (flowstone, granite, etc), scattered plantlife ,albino catfish and insects including some nasty cave roaches. The pictures are well lit to show off some the detail but during the show the cave will be lit by torchlight/lanterns with lots of crevices and holes for our "creatures" to hide in (think "Descent") as well as many other scares and traps for you to spring if you come out to visit us during The Legendary Haunt Tour. Oh and did I mention the 400 live snakes?

Midnight13
08-31-2012, 08:10 PM

Midnight13
08-31-2012, 08:30 PM
And one of a cypress tree we built out of mortar also.13673

Deathwing
08-31-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm digging it!

Jake

john haines
08-31-2012, 10:03 PM
I gotta see this place !!!!

drfrightner
08-31-2012, 10:50 PM
How are you going to keep those snakes in there?? Your cave looks incredible. How did you make them... was it foam then coated, or what... Larry

ANUBIS B. C.
09-01-2012, 06:30 AM
That is awesome, great job guys looks very convincing.

Midnight13
09-01-2012, 06:40 AM
No foam, wood or hardcoat. It's made out of rebar, lath, and mortar. Every inch was hand carved.

The snakes are in a pit in the cave with a rope bridge going over the top. There is a snake scare in the cave that is going to nail everyone. We have carved out shelves on the walls and the snakes climb up all over the place. They are non-poisonous Diamond back watersnakes but are still very agressive and will bite you in a heartbeat. The model in the picture (one of our actors) got bit twice during the shoot (she's a tough gal and a snake lover so no big deal for her) and our wrangler (a snake expert who caught all 400 in one night) got bit more times than I could count.

Dreamreaper
09-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Awesome work, hope to see it sometime.

Twin Locusts
09-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Bravo.

What most cave builds miss that this one hits spot on
is that the ceiling of most passageways is a shelf of
limestone resting on water carved passage.

This looks exactly like an Eastern U.S. cave passage; someone
did their research. The undershelf dimpling is also accurate.
I spent every college summer guiding in the world's longest cave .

Also, this is ONLY INTENDED FOR TRIVIA OR NATURE PEOPLE, not a dig
on this haunt environment, which I think is stellar, and is a perfect place
for these very rattler looking herps. For Haunt Dramatic License I like
snakes and spiders anywhere they feel like being.

For the record, even in the deep south snakes are never found deep
in caverns, never. Caves take on the average temperature of their
climate band, which in the Eastern US is around 56 degrees F, give or take.
Snakes are ectothermic and need much warmer climes to function. If you
did find a snake deep in, though alive, they'd appear dead from lack of
movement.

They do den underground but these are very shallow and warmer. You can
find them around entrances at times but never in the bowels of the earth.
Who knows about South AM. or Africa.

drfrightner
09-01-2012, 12:05 PM
I figured that is how you did it to get those kinds of textures... so you had to spray some concrete and carve it as it dried. But back on the snakes how are you sure the snakes can't get out can't they climb up the walls or what keeps them in there. Do you have a full time snake guy who takes care of them? Do you feed them rats? I can honestly say it looks awesome!

Larry

Midnight13
09-01-2012, 04:34 PM
We carved this particular room of the cave so there are spots where they can climb up on the shelves and other areas have undercuts or are smooth where it is hard to climb out. Watersnakes are heavy so they can't climb as well as say a green tree snake. They great thing about these snakes is that they eat fish not rats. We do have a full time reptile expert on staff and they will be released back into the wild as soon as the show is over.

zombietoxin
09-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Please tell me you do giant spider nests as well as you do caves...

Unbelievable work btw. This caliber of dedication and craftsmanship should get recognition. Seriously- there should be a "Spookies Award" hosted and held at Transworld.

Well done!

tonguesandwich
09-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Pretty Bad ass!

shawng
09-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah im going to say thats one of the most amazing things i have seen...ever.

Mistress DeSade
09-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Fabulous work! 13th Gate has been one of my personal favorites-and is truly one of the best haunts in the US. Can't wait to see these :)

I DO have to ask if your insurance agent has any misgivings about these 400 snakes, lol!

Capt.Chaos
09-02-2012, 05:55 PM
That is Awesome! I am now even more pumped for the Legendary Haunt Tour!

Buck

Janna Fugler
09-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Awesome set 13th Gate...I hope I can get away from our home haunt long enough to come visit. Good luck this season.

TheCareTaker
09-03-2012, 03:16 PM
nice, sweet, awesome, any more please add. great work

badass
09-03-2012, 10:19 PM
absolutely awesome.. Dwayne

BigT
09-04-2012, 08:47 AM
This is an awesome set. I will have to come out and see you guys.

Joe P
09-04-2012, 09:29 AM
I loved 13th gate already but this is rediculous, as an inspiring Haunt enthusiast hoping to make 2013 my year I have always held 13th gate as inspiriation. Their attention to detail is what I am drawn to. I wish I lived closer so I could work for free for them just so I could learn more. I can only pray that maybe one day I will be able to bring this level of Haunt to Florida. AND DONT SAY BUT WHAT ABOUT UNIVERSAL!!!! Different animal entirely. Kudos

Sam Brown
09-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Wow, that is ridiculous.. in a good way of course. That detail is perfection, and resembles a real cave marvelously.

-Sam

Dalloween
09-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Amazing work... some of the best detailing I've seen. Hoping we can road trip it to see your show this year.

GraveStalker
09-07-2012, 05:38 AM
The man hours invested definitely shows when viewing detail. Incredible stuff!